• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Akira

My black N5 has finally shipped after having to refuse the delivery of the white one. Play Store's order and canceling system needs a total overhaul. I was unable to cancel my white N5 order even though it wasn't going to ship for another 2 weeks. I had to call in and get them to cancel it. They then told me that even though it was cancelled, it might still ship which indeed happened and that I would have to refuse delivery and wait 2 weeks after they receive it to give me a refund. So ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm still excited about getting a new phone! What are the first things I should do to my first Android phone? What are the must-have apps?

zedge

Hmm so the launcher changed again or am I crazy? I only have two screens right of the Google now panel. On the second if I try to swipe right more it just does that bounce glow as there is no third screen. Last week I noticed this changed an I could swipe to the third panel and it was empty. Now it's back to how it was before.. :/

How do you sync Facebook with the People/Phone app? I miss having photos of my contacts in their entry.

For some reason, neither HaxSync nor UberSync For Facebook are working. HaxSync says its going to start syncing but nothing happens; UberSync tells me the sync has started but then the top notification still reads "Sync Idle. 0 Contacts imported."

this_guy

How do you sync Facebook with the People/Phone app? I miss having photos of my contacts in their entry.

For some reason, neither HaxSync nor UberSync For Facebook are working. HaxSync says its going to start syncing but nothing happens; UberSync tells me the sync has started but then the top notification still reads "Sync Idle. 0 Contacts imported."

When I had my Nexus 5 I used sync.me and it worked.

Superman

Any downside to upgrading to 4.4 on a Nexus 4? Battery life? Glitches?

Dont know what the whole consensus is... But since I've upgraded to 4.4 on my Nexus 4... My battery life has definitely improved. Charged this morning used throughout the day. 34% still.

My reason for coming here, and apologies if it has been asked countless times, but I have a Nexus 4. Is it worth upgrading to the Nexus 5?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hey,

I was wondering if you all could answer a few questions about switching my US phone to the Nexus 5($30 t-mobile plan) from a Verizon GNex(Unlimited subscription)?

Specifically,

Do I need to order a nano or micro SIM card from t-mobile?

Is there a way to carry over my number from Verizon or do I have to switch to a new one?

Thanks

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah the enter/emoji thing is confusing as hell, especially since enter doesn't usually even show the dots.

Sacrimoni

Banned
I'm having an issue with my nexus 5. I no longer seem to be able to get internet in public (3G etc).

I've made sure mobile data is on (which it is) but i'm still having no joy. Any ideas?

What is the definition of a bumper case? I thought it was just a thing that goes around the edge of the phone like Apple had during antenna-gate, but all the bumper cases I see for the Nexus 5 have a back piece as well. Isn't that just... a case? Why are they called bumpers?

Forgive my newbness. I usually go naked but my one year old is starting to play with my phone and it sometimes falls down. Are there any backless bumper cases? I'm mainly worried about the corner impacts; I don't care about scratches too much.

Cudder

I believe LG is responsible for Nexus repairs, so try them first.

Yeah, they told me I had to send it in to them just to get a repair quote. No really down for that. I'll wait until a local repair shop gets the required parts in and see what they quote me. Thanks for the reply though.

Anyone having a weird issue where their phone will just vibrate without a ringtone while receiving a call?

It's happening to me from the past 2-3 days. Sometimes the phone rings, other times it will just vibrate. I'm using a custom ringtone btw, did not have this issue earlier while using stock ringtones.

I knew the camera was going to be a bit lackluster, but the videos my friend has taken thus far have been pixelated messes. They look like something from an early 90's webcam. Is there any settings that could be causing this?

Finally got my Nexus 5 and hopefully T-Mobile is open today so I can finally dump Sprint.

In the meantime, I'm looking to buy a cheap TPU case to tie me over until the Seidio Convert.

JonnyBrad

Hmm so the launcher changed again or am I crazy? I only have two screens right of the Google now panel. On the second if I try to swipe right more it just does that bounce glow as there is no third screen. Last week I noticed this changed an I could swipe to the third panel and it was empty. Now it's back to how it was before.. :/

Its a bug that was introduced in the google search update (which has the launcher inside it)

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1rbzmj/nexus_5_kitkat_keeps_making_making_blank_home/

Battery life went from good to awesometacular.

2013-11-29

Read the reddit thread I sourced. Extra home screens appear. Its a bug.

It's true, I had 6 screens yesterday. I added a widget to see if it would create more, but it didn't. As soon as a removed the widget, the 5th screen disappeared.

Stock room, but rooted. Auto brightness. I had 4G on most of the time, wifi only for a few hours.

Used mostly chrome, hangouts, whatsapp, messaging and half an hour of youtube.

Location is on in battery saver mode. Sync is on.

The best screen time I had gotten so far was about 4 hours 40 minutes, today it went for an hour extra!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Trying to port my Virgin Mobile number to StraightTalk AT&T.

Keeps telling me "The phone’s technology is not supported in this area." I live in SoCal, pretty sure that's impossible. I'm calling now and have tried other nearby zipcodes and one from SanFran as well. :(
*Got off the phone with the lady drone phone rep, hopefully everything will be okay!

Sky Chief

Okay, so my Verizon contract is up on Dec 15 and I will likely be switching to AT&T and bringing a Nexus 5. I want to place my order soon so I get my phone by the 15. A few questions:

How is the phone? Good? Any hardware issues I should be aware of?

How is the battery life? Seriously, is it adequate? This is very important to me.

Are the camera software issues fixed? Is the camera good? It has to be better than the galaxy Nexus right?

What color is better and why?

Are the bumper cases good other than the fact they are expensive? Anyone have one? Do they keep the profile thin?

Google will only charge me upon shipping, right?

What is the best phone to get on AT&T on contract and resell on eBay? Note 3? Gold iPhone 5S?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

mturco

Okay, so my Verizon contract is up on Dec 15 and I will likely be switching to AT&T and bringing a Nexus 5. I want to place my order soon so I get my phone by the 15. A few questions:

How is the phone? Good? Any hardware issues I should be aware of?

How is the battery life? Seriously, is it adequate? This is very important to me.

Are the camera software issues fixed? Is the camera good? It has to be better than the galaxy Nexus right?

What color is better and why?

Are the bumper cases good other than the fact they are expensive? Anyone have one? Do they keep the profile thin?

Google will only charge me upon shipping, right?

What is the best phone to get on AT&T on contract and resell on eBay? Note 3? Gold iPhone 5S?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

1. Awesome phone. Mine has quite a bit of lightbleed on the edges. Not a dealbreaker for me but somewhat annoying on dark screens.

2. I would call it adequate but this is a subjective area. Expect at least 3 hours of screen-on time. Many people get 4 or 5 hours.

3. No update from Google yet and no word on it either. The camera is much better than the Gnexus (which I also owned).

4. This is all you need: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBCaAq_pKjY

5. Can't comment here.

6. Yes I believe so.

7. I would argue nothing tops Apple products on resale value. I would get an iPhone.

8. Software, not hardware is this phone's strength. Keep that in mind.

tr4656

Stock room, but rooted. Auto brightness. I had 4G on most of the time, wifi only for a few hours.

Used mostly chrome, hangouts, whatsapp, messaging and half an hour of youtube.

Location is on in battery saver mode. Sync is on.

The best screen time I had gotten so far was about 4 hours 40 minutes, today it went for an hour extra!

How can you stand autobrightness? Its always too bright so I changed to Lux.

_RT_

Phone just arrived today from google.
Love the feel of it.

Now I'm just waiting for the sim card from sprint.

Been borrowing my wife's old iPhone 4s. I'm so tired of it. lol

I wanted to try out the ART runtime so I flipped it on and restarted, but now my phone won't progress passed the loading graphic. I installed the franco kernel yesterday, so I'm wondering if those are conflicting? What should I do?

So I was at the gym, phone fell out of my pocket, and a 70 pound dumbell fell on it...needless to say the screen is completely destroyed. Just read the limited warranty and it's complete trash...I literally got my phone a 3 days ago and I am freaking out!

Please someone tell me there is hope!!

Drakeon

So I was at the gym, phone fell out of my pocket, and a 70 pound dumbell fell on it...needless to say the screen is completely destroyed. Just read the limited warranty and it's complete trash...I literally got my phone a 3 days ago and I am freaking out!

Please someone tell me there is hope!!

This is making me look up insurance plans for my Nexus 5 >_>

Top Bottom