• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Sky Chief

1. Awesome phone. Mine has quite a bit of lightbleed on the edges. Not a dealbreaker for me but somewhat annoying on dark screens.

2. I would call it adequate but this is a subjective area. Expect at least 3 hours of screen-on time. Many people get 4 or 5 hours.

3. No update from Google yet and no word on it either. The camera is much better than the Gnexus (which I also owned).

4. This is all you need: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBCaAq_pKjY

5. Can't comment here.

6. Yes I believe so.

7. I would argue nothing tops Apple products on resale value. I would get an iPhone.

8. Software, not hardware is this phone's strength. Keep that in mind.

Thanks very much for the input. Ordered a white 32GB N5 and the wireless charger. Unfortunately, the red bumper case is out of stock right now.

HiiiLife

New Android user here. I previously had an iPhone 4S for a few years and decided to purchase the Nexus 5 yesterday. Aside from the AndroidGAF thread, I was wondering if there are any go-to sites for understanding how the OS works? Kinda like an Androids for Dummies type of thing. With the whole "kernel" and "rooted" talk I've heard about, this is gonna take some time getting used to and I could use any recommended forum (or YouTube channel) out there.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
New Android user here. I previously had an iPhone 4S for a few years and decided to purchase the Nexus 5 yesterday. Aside from the AndroidGAF thread, I was wondering if there are any go-to sites for understanding how the OS works? Kinda like an Androids for Dummies type of thing. With the whole "kernel" and "rooted" talk I've heard about, this is gonna take some time getting used to and I could use any recommended forum (or YouTube channel) out there.

Don't worry about it just yet. Just use the phone.

Ferr986

Whats the concensus about the official bumper... is it worth it?
Im asking cause the black one is on stock again and Im thinking on getting one.

Remyzero

If it helps, most of your questions can be answered here

Cudder

Does anyone else have power/volume buttons that rattle? They're kind of loose on my N5 and have a bit of shake to them.

cube444

I know the Google bumper cases are overpriced but I really wanted the grey one and damn does it ever look sexy and well fitted over my Nexus 5. :D

jimbor

Banned
Battery life went from good to awesometacular.

It's true, I had 6 screens yesterday. I added a widget to see if it would create more, but it didn't. As soon as a removed the widget, the 5th screen disappeared.

How are you getting such good battery life?

verbum

So I was at the gym, phone fell out of my pocket, and a 70 pound dumbell fell on it...needless to say the screen is completely destroyed. Just read the limited warranty and it's complete trash...I literally got my phone a 3 days ago and I am freaking out!

Please someone tell me there is hope!!

USA= call LG (their repair shop is in Texas) 1-800-793-8896. Ship it to them, they contact you with an estimate, you give your approval, they fix it. $146 to replace the screen/digitizer
Canada=around $230. Call LG Canada.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/kK1uhW6if9c

USA= call LG (their repair shop is in Texas) 1-800-793-8896. Ship it to them, they contact you with an estimate, you give your approval, they fix it. $146 to replace the screen/digitizer
Canada=around $230. Call LG Canada.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/kK1uhW6if9c

Yea I checked that out last night. They dont open till monday so I still gotta wait till I get a price from them. $250 is pretty steep though. I wonder if that covers only screen damage or body damage as well. The bottom of the phone got fucked pretty hard, theres a pretty big dent.

BigFwoosh

Well, the dream is dead. My Nexus 5 turned off on its own at some point last night and won't turn on anymore. I know it was charged to around 80% so it didn't run out of juice. I'm going through the steps support has outlined, but nothing is working. RMA here I come!

Well this sucks. Just went to Best Buy and one of the workers there told me I can use a Google play giftcard to buy a Nexus 5 off Google's site. Purchased 2 $50 ones since I got a $100 BB giftcard. Turns out I can't use it, and I am stuck with $100 in Google Play that I can't use...

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Go back to bb with the receipt, talk to a supervisor or something and single out the worker who told you that. Return it for a refund. It's $100 dude.

Kamek

My girl sent me an MMS with 2 pictures in the message. I can see them in the text screen, but when I click on one of them to fullscreen it and save it, it just shows an MMS message from a few weeks ago and if i swipe right it's a few others she sent subsequently in messages where she sent only one picture. How can I fix this, be able to see both pictures and save them?

Also, I snet a picture in a hangout and it saved to gallery and there is NO way I can delete it from my phone. There is literally no option. wtf kitkat.

Was at best buy checking out a pebble watch. Saw the N5 on display at some obscure part of the store where tablets were on display. Would have picked one up if they had it in stock. A man wearing a blue shirt told me they only get like 2-3 phones at a time. I like the pebble watch though.

Nexus 5 + Unlimited Data is like my best phone eva.

LTE speeds and used up 16GB of data so far within 2 weeks! Very good compared to my own house's download speed which goes up to 300kbps and has a 150GB/month cap.

PewPewK

I wanted to try out the ART runtime so I flipped it on and restarted, but now my phone won't progress passed the loading graphic. I installed the franco kernel yesterday, so I'm wondering if those are conflicting? What should I do?

I can't say much, but I do know that Franco's kernel does not conflict with ART. First boot under ART will take a long time, which of course by now you'd know if it worked or not, but just saying. Otherwise the people over at XDA would probably be able to help you more.

Cudder

Finding out more things I dislike about the phone the more I use it. If you tilt the phone and loom at it from an angle from any of the corners, the screen gets completely washed out and goes almost pure white, even on a completely black screen. Wtf? Terrible viewing angles on this thing.

Symphonia

Banned
I've been using my Nexus 5 for about four hours now and it's just so damn beautiful. It feels so fluid and responsive and it just looks so damn nice. I really made the right choice switching to Android from iOS.

verbum

Finding out more things I dislike about the phone the more I use it. If you tilt the phone and loom at it from an angle from any of the corners, the screen gets completely washed out and goes almost pure white, even on a completely black screen. Wtf? Terrible viewing angles on this thing.

What is a "loom"?

mturco

Well, the dream is dead. My Nexus 5 turned off on its own at some point last night and won't turn on anymore. I know it was charged to around 80% so it didn't run out of juice. I'm going through the steps support has outlined, but nothing is working. RMA here I come!

If you haven't yet RMA'd it, try charging it by plugging it into a computer. I've had Nexus 7s (both 2012 and 2013 versions) die and refuse to charge plugged into the wall. Every time this has happened I've plugged it into a computer for 15-20 minutes and then it booted up no problem.

Tenacious-V

Nice, for the other Canadians out there, it seems LG is coming out with an OEM slim hard shell case.

If I didn't have a Ringke Slim (and 4 other hard shell cases coming in the mail) already I'd jump on the white one. Actually I probably will still order a white one anyway, it looks too good with the official Nexus printing.

HT5C97a.jpg

jKh49Wp.jpg

You can order them at the Bell Nexus 5 Accessories page, for $5 less than the other sites I've seen.
http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Accessories

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I should get a few wireless chargers.

BigFwoosh

If you haven't yet RMA'd it, try charging it by plugging it into a computer. I've had Nexus 7s (both 2012 and 2013 versions) die and refuse to charge plugged into the wall. Every time this has happened I've plugged it into a computer for 15-20 minutes and then it booted up no problem.

The support tech I talked to walked me through doing that and nothing happened. Granted, I only plugged it in for 30 seconds or so. Maybe I'll give that a shot when I get home. I ordered the replacement but it apparently isn't shipping until Dec. 11th.

rc213

Nice, for the other Canadians out there, it seems LG is coming out with an OEM slim hard shell case.

If I didn't have a Ringke Slim (and 4 other hard shell cases coming in the mail) already I'd jump on the white one. Actually I probably will still order a white one anyway, it looks too good with the official Nexus printing.

http://i.imgur.com/HT5C97a.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jKh49Wp.jpg[/IMG

You can order them at the Bell Nexus 5 Accessories page, for $5 less than the other sites I've seen.
[URL="http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Accessories"]http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Accessories[/URL][/QUOTE]

Tried searching for it on other sites but had no luck, Which search term did you use?

Sky Chief

HT5C97a.jpg

jKh49Wp.jpg

What!? I need this. Where did you find the above pictures? I do not see them on the site. I tried to see if I could purchase and have it shipped to the USA but I keep getting a server error. Is this available in the US anywhere?

I should get a few wireless chargers.

I was thinking the same thing. I have one coming to keep next to my bed. I really just want to see if the magnet is strong enough that I can use one in my car as a charger/mount, that would be amazing.

Tenacious-V

Tried searching for it on other sites but had no luck, Which search term did you use?

LG Hardshell Nexus 5.

It will show up at various Canadian sites as pre-order for $24.95

Someone on xda got an order through on bell, so it should be hitting soon everywhere else. You don't have to be a bell member to order from their store.

What!? I need this. Where did you find the above pictures? I do not see them on the site. I tried to see if I could purchase and have it shipped to the USA but I keep getting a server error. Is this available in the US anywhere?

Canada only atm from what I'm seeing.

I got the pictures from http://www.cesiumonline.com/smartphone-accessories/lg-mobile/nexus-5?originalcategory=397. Just scroll down a bit.

*Edit: Yeah had to do it. I ordered a white case from the bell site. That makes 6 cases for this damn phone lol.

Ferr986

HT5C97a.jpg

jKh49Wp.jpg

Welp, I was about to get the Google bumper but now Im gonna wait for a review of this one.

I am getting annoyed at google now randomly stopping hotword detection, even though google now and hotword detection are turned on in the settings.

Only way I have found to fix it is to restart phone.

mturco

The support tech I talked to walked me through doing that and nothing happened. Granted, I only plugged it in for 30 seconds or so. Maybe I'll give that a shot when I get home. I ordered the replacement but it apparently isn't shipping until Dec. 11th.

Yeah definitely give it more time. The first time I did it I thought it was actually dead because I tried to power it on after 5 minutes and nothing happened. Left it plugged in and came back a few minutes later and it powered on fine.

BigFwoosh

Yeah definitely give it more time. The first time I did it I thought it was actually dead because I tried to power it on after 5 minutes and nothing happened. Left it plugged in and came back a few minutes later and it powered on fine.
I'll give that a try and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Edit: After about 40 minutes, the result is still the same. Shite.

finally getting my nexus 5 delivered this friday, and yes it's my first-ever smartphone (i'm cheap). very excited. heard of the battery life and gps antenna problems, but then again software is where it's at. i wanna get my first try on this "rooting" thingy but kinda scared because i've never dealt with it before (yes, i'm computer-literate but still...don't want to brick the phone).

if the battery drain is going to be problematic, might dive into the whole mod thing.

tr4656

finally getting my nexus 5 delivered this friday, and yes it's my first-ever smartphone (i'm cheap). very excited. heard of the battery life and gps antenna problems, but then again software is where it's at. i wanna get my first try on this "rooting" thingy but kinda scared because i've never dealt with it before (yes, i'm computer-literate but still...don't want to brick the phone).

if the battery drain is going to be problematic, might dive into the whole mod thing.

Its really easy, just follow some instructions or something.

Its really easy, just follow some instructions or something.

lol i've flashed some devices and applied mod on games, no problem. i can imagine rooting the device just means replacing some files in the flashmem or doing some fairly easy installs (it's mobile anyway, which means far friendlier instructions for newbs). the problem is the warranty and since it's a new device, software might still be untested, beta phase, whatever. this is a new $400 device. better to be careful.

tr4656

lol i've flashed some devices and applied mod on games, no problem. i can imagine rooting the device just means replacing some files in the flashmem or doing some fairly easy installs (it's mobile anyway, which means far friendlier instructions for newbs). the problem is the warranty and since it's a new device, software might still be untested, beta phase, whatever. this is a new $400 device. better to be careful.

Its just a couple of things to type into a console. Its very easy to revert back to stock if you really need to RMA something.

MooMoo

Interesting enough, I do not have the microphone button on my keyboard by default. I assume I need to go search for it and turn it own. Haven't bothered to do so but also wondered why it wasn't there by default.
Yeah you're right. If you go to settings > language and input, you can toggle Google Voice Typing. I thought it was a little weird it wasn't turned on by default too.

Tenacious-V

Yeah you're right. If you go to settings > language and input, you can toggle Google Voice Typing. I thought it was a little weird it wasn't turned on by default too.

Yeah its weird. Some come with it on and some don't. Mine was on by default, but a buddy of mine had his off and had to change his settings.

Top Bottom