• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
lol i've flashed some devices and applied mod on games, no problem. i can imagine rooting the device just means replacing some files in the flashmem or doing some fairly easy installs (it's mobile anyway, which means far friendlier instructions for newbs). the problem is the warranty and since it's a new device, software might still be untested, beta phase, whatever. this is a new $400 device. better to be careful.

Just use the device first. Unlock the boot loader, though. That way, when you feel like tinkering, your data won't get wiped.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I'm on Straight Talk AT&T, but sometimes it will drop the 'HOME' network and then reconnect. Any ideas?

I entered the MMS and data settings it told me on the card and my text/net work fine, but I didn't do anything with the IMEI or whatever, just used the substitute serial number. I'll call them later, but was wondering if anyone had insight or ran into the same thing.

Chris R

JIgqXHF.png

I don't have that option :(

Bit the bullet ordered a 32gb black. Its shipped already (UK). Any case recommendations? Just want a rubber back thing, screen bare.

Symphonia

Banned
Apologies for the double post but is anyone else having issues while attempting to play Youtube videos through the app? None of them load for me at all, but they work fine through the website.

lunchtoast

Anyone having issues with google wallet? Everytime I try to use it, it says not authorized. Worked on my GN so it's not a credit card issue. I have tried it on different machines. Might it be a problem with the NFC?

Been over a few weeks since I've owned Quickcover.

Pros: It's amazing! Locks screen when closed without pressing the button, and you can talk on the phone while the cover is closed.

Cons: I bought it in white. It will get dirtier than my underwear. Its also not properly flushed in the case and one edge of the case is 0.005% wobbly. My OCD senses it and it annoys me.

Sky Chief

Just got my new phone. Posting from it right now.

I was a little concerned when I first turned it on because the backlight is uneven on a black screen but now that I've had some time to play around I realize just how amazing this phone is.

The software is just fantastic, Android is really maturing nicely. I love how much better Google Now is integrated. The performance of the phone is just incredible and is like night and day compared to my Galaxy Nexus.

The form factor is absolutely perfect and it is incredibly light but it feels high quality. The camera is way better than I imagined.

The only major negative is the speaker. The volume is okay in my opinion but the position makes it far too easy to block especially when playing games. Also a bigger battery would have been really nice.

Overall though this is clearly the best software available in a smartphone and the performance is spectacular. Even if this phone cost $300 more I would still consider it to be the best phone on the market just based on those two crucial factors.

werks

Banned
Proclip Base Mount and the nexus wireless charger together is the best car mount I have ever used. Can't use with a case though, had to buy a skin.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yes. And it should work; however you should call ATT once you do it to let them know you changed phones and give them your IMEI number if they ask for it, to make sure you can get LTE working (the 4S doesn't support it).

Thanks! I'll be making my final decision in a day or two.

thespot84

qualcomm put always listening into the s800 but the either haven't given to any OEMs or the OEMs refuse to use it for some reason.

Coming from the Galaxy Nexus, for hardware the only thing I don't like is that the headphone jack is on the top. Boo, you had it right the first time!

Kit Kat will take some getting used to especially since I'm missing key features from Cyanogenmod that made the phone so much better. Best wait for when CM11 matures.

SimleuqiR

Their biggest gripe seems to be the camera, which is being fixed soon. Also, those battery benchmarks are in-line with my experience with the phone. So good.

I also like how they point out that Google is trying hard to make sure the displays show the right colors and are not overly saturated just for show.

I'm going to assume this is Duarte's doing. I'm sure he wants his shirts to have the right color pallet when he looks at them on Nexus devices.

It’s interesting to hear some Nexus 5 users complain that the display seems undersaturated, since that kind of end user feedback reflects subjective comparison. It also suggests to me that a large percentage of the population doesn’t know what some colors or system elements actually should be. Even for me, looking at the green elements inside the Google Play store on the Note 3 in movie mode or Nexus 5 initially seemed slightly more muted than normal. The reality is that this is what they actually should look like. We’ve just become accustomed to their oversaturated appearance on virtually every other device.

This kind of expectation about what looks right and what doesn’t is rather telling for the state of display calibration in Android handsets, and how OEMs have used oversaturated colors to increase retail shelf appeal. Unfortunately the reality is that oversaturated colors do seem to win taste tests among shoppers, the same way that TVs in most big boxes do. We’ve been looking at them for so long that well calibrated displays like Nexus 5 initially do look noticeably different.

The end result is easy to sum up, however – Nexus 5 has the best calibrated display I’ve seen so far in any Android handset. It’s also leaps and bounds more accurate and controlled than its predecessor display in the Nexus 4.

HawkeyeIC

As mentioned in the review, Google is soooo close with the Nexus 5. Fix the camera app, move the headphone jack to the bottom, up the battery a bit, and it's almost perfect.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
I also like how they point out that Google is trying hard to make sure the displays show the right colors and are not overly saturated just for show.

Here's a video of Brian from Anandtech and a couple other guys discussing the display. One guy was saying it was washed out and the colors didn't pop, but Brian mentions it's because the panel is sRGB. Basically trying to have neutral colors with accurate representation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4PDCbLkIlg

I'm not a fan of Samsung, LG, and other manufacturers settings trying to make everything into a cartoon with colors popping everywhere. I don't want my eyes screwed with a rainbow, I want things accurate.

Symphonia

Banned
The camera itself on the Nexus 5 is brilliant. The problem, however, lies within the software. On a number of occasions now, I've missed a photo opportunity because it just takes too long to focus. It should be a simple case of point and click, job done. Don't get me wrong, the quality of the camera is brilliant - the resolution and clarity of the photos are the best I've seen on any handset I've owned so far - but they need to fix the autofocus as soon as possible.

hitsugi

The camera itself on the Nexus 5 is brilliant. The problem, however, lies within the software. On a number of occasions now, I've missed a photo opportunity because it just takes too long to focus. It should be a simple case of point and click, job done. Don't get me wrong, the quality of the camera is brilliant - the resolution and clarity of the photos are the best I've seen on any handset I've owned so far - but they need to fix the autofocus as soon as possible.

The update does seek to address this, and hopefully it truly delivers. At least we know Google is aware of and are working on this.

thespot84

So theoretically, Google could enable this with a software update?

if you assume that qualcomm has made the drivers available to OEMs then yes, though I don't think it would be a trivial update. If, for some reason, qualcomm isn't letting the drivers out in the wild yet, then no.

Top Bottom