• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I want comparison pics while I'm waiting for the ota

haven't unlocked bootloader and not near adb console

Zeppelin

Anyone here have trouble with sms? I can be in an sms conversation and all of a sudden it'll stop sending the messages (I get the bouncing dots) and then it will tell me there's no service available. I usually have to reboot the phone. I've seen other people report the same issue across different carriers all over the world, but I'm not sure how wide spread it is.

Symphonia

Banned
So, as a first-time Android user, how do I go about updating the OS over-the-air? Will I get a notification or do I have to manually check? And if there's no OTA update available, is there a way to manually update? If so, how?

yyzjohn

Banned
So, as a first-time Android user, how do I go about updating the OS over-the-air? Will I get a notification or do I have to manually check? And if there's no OTA update available, is there a way to manually update? If so, how?

You'll get a notification, you can also manually check in settings.

Updating manually involves command line stuff, you may not want to go there just yet.

ajpw

New update seems good so far, camera seems to focus better and quicker, vibration seems a lot better and speakers are def louder. Liking what I'm seeing

jimbor

Banned
New update seems good so far, camera seems to focus better and quicker, vibration seems a lot better and speakers are def louder. Liking what I'm seeing

Louder speaker will stop me having to put it in a bowl when I'm listening in the bathroom.

Symphonia

Banned
You'll get a notification, you can also manually check in settings.

Updating manually involves command line stuff, you may not want to go there just yet.
Yeah, I'm nowhere near comfortable enough with Android just yet to start messing about with command lines. I hope the OTA update is released before Saturday so I can update ready for London.

yyzjohn

Banned

Agreed, had to step out just after I updated, but everything seems better. Camera is quicker, speaker is louder. Tried to install Whatsapp again (on ART) cause I heard ART had some stringent policies for installing some apps and they would relax it in a future update, but still couldn't install Whatsapp.

All in all after like 1 hour of playing around I like what I see. I'll give it a better test this weekend.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Okay mine just came.

How do I remove the damned screen shield?

EDIT: Got it.

Alright so what do I do with this thing now?

And is Swype finally stable?

Symphonia

Banned
How do I remove the damned screen shield?
I had so much trouble removing the plastic on my screen that I almost came to the conclusion that there is no plastic and I was just imagining it and that, for some reason, LG wanted to keep that logo on the screen. In the end, I managed to remove it by peeling off the plastic around the side and using the sticky side of it to life the screen protector.

Haly

I picked at the top right punched part thingie with my finger nails.

I was so afraid I was going to scratch it. That feel is almost as bad as socketing in a new CPU.

EDIT: I don't know how to do things without a "Menu" button, it's fucking me up. I guess this is what being old feels like.

I had so much trouble removing the plastic on my screen that I almost came to the conclusion that there is no plastic and I was just imagining it and that, for some reason, LG wanted to keep that logo on the screen. In the end, I managed to remove it by peeling off the plastic around the side and using the sticky side of it to life the screen protector.

I picked at the top right punched part thingie with my finger nails.

I was so afraid I was going to scratch it. That feel is almost as bad as socketing in a new CPU.

Heh, I haven't taken it off till now, been using the phone for 6 weeks now.

I do the hope the camera software gets optimised, I was attending a xmas party last night and couldn't get any decent pictures with the flash, had to switch to HDR.

Rootbeer

Banned
been running standard 4.4 on my N5, but starting with 4.4.1 i want to run rooted since i've been learning a lot about android in the meantime and there's some apps I want to try that require root.

what's the best way for me to start? I guess wait for 4.4.1 to get rooted? does it take long for that to happen?

Argyle

been running standard 4.4 on my N5, but starting with 4.4.1 i want to run rooted since i've been learning a lot about android in the meantime and there's some apps I want to try that require root.

what's the best way for me to start? I guess wait for 4.4.1 to get rooted? does it take long for that to happen?

It's super easy with CF Auto Root - warning, this will wipe your phone if you have not unlocked the bootloader.

http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Man, this update really did a number! The camera is so much better now, and the speaker boost is nice too. Everything just seems to have a bit more pep to it.

I also keep HDR+ on all the time on the camera app, so THANKS Google for adding zoom functionality while using HDR+! That was a let down when I couldn't zoom before.

Now all you need to do is fix that clunky camera UI and it'll be perfect.

Is it worth rooting my Nexus 5 once I get it? I'll be new to the Android scene, so I don't know the benefits of it since I'm coming from an iPhone 4.

If so, anything I should be worried about?

scoobs

I'm so pissed I'm stuck w/ my half-broken galaxy s3 on verizon right now. I'd buy a nexus 5 straight up but alas.... verizon is shit

Cudder

they made the speaker louder? PRAISE THE LORD. Does it output louder through phones/earbuds too? I noticed a bit of a drop compared to GNex.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
they made the speaker louder? PRAISE THE LORD. Does it output louder through phones/earbuds too? I noticed a bit of a drop compared to GNex.

The speaker isn't louder, they just stopped compressing the output so much. Someone did some tests on XDA.

It appears they compressed the ever living crap out of the speaker output.

Dynamic range has gone down significantly. Which means, the loudest sounds are still loud, but the quiet sounds are much louder. Which makes it appear louder than it was before.

Old:
SiGxwuX.png

New:
U2uZflB.png

Are all of you updating OTA? I've still got nothing here...

Nope, I didn't want to wait for them, so I side loaded it myself.

Argyle

i see the nexus 5 link on there, but is it already up-to-date for 4.4.1? it doesn't seem to indicate things like that

It doesn't appear they changed enough to make the old one stop working. I just used it to re root after installing the update and everything seems good.

Haly

What are people using for launchers? I feel like the default home screen is a bit bloated (dots on the bottom, search bar on the top).

hitsugi

What are people using for launchers? I feel like the default home screen is a bit bloated (dots on the bottom, search bar on the top).

Nova Prime has been good to me since the N4.. I've tried Stock, Aviate and Themer and I don't see myself switching any time soon.

Rootbeer

Banned
i can't get adb to recognize my N5 on Windows 8.1. the usb_driver that comes with the sdk doesn't recognize it as a device supported by the driver :/

A lot more hoops to jump through than I thought this was going to be

Top Bottom