• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

rc213

i can't get adb to recognize my N5 on Windows 8.1. the usb_driver that comes with the sdk doesn't recognize it as a device supported by the driver :/

A lot more hoops to jump through than I thought this was going to be

On Windows 8 you need to disable the Driver Signature check, Then edit the driver manually and install it. I had to do it when I sideloaded 4.4 on my Nexus 7 2013.

Someone said this video got them past the error. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgiFyR3zrfk

Rootbeer

Banned
On Windows 8 you need to disable the Driver Signature check, Then edit the driver manually and install it. I had to do it when I sideloaded 4.4 on my Nexus 7 2013.

i will try that, but is it necessary?

i installed the google driver, and now adb sees my N5 when it's on, but when it's in recovery mode it doesn't see it! -__-

Rootbeer

Banned
Thank you so very much for your replies fellas. I think the video rc213 linked did the trick. Just had to manually pick the driver once it was in recovery mode.

Installing 4.4.1 now! knock on wood that it doesn't fail :p

It's been a learning experience. Learning am fun.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Hitting the check updates over and over again doesn't help.

This is how the Android OTAs work:
Rollouts are conducted in phases. Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 - 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.

What the percentages mean is that when your device checks in, it has a 1% chance (for example) of being offered the OTA. If it doesn't (randomly) get an offer, it will never get an offer until the next batch.

IOW, once your device checks in and gets turned down, that's it until the next batch. Mashing on the "check for updates" button just causes your device to check in again, and get automatically turned down again. Think about how that makes your device feel! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE PHONES?!

That said, once the new batch does start, hitting that button does give you a new roll of the dice -- but once. Since devices usually only check in for system updates every 24 hours (I think? Certainly on a many-hours basis) this can get you your shot sooner than it would happen on its own.
So, mash away. Just be patient, and mashing on it more often than once or twice a day isn't going to gain you anything.

Edit: also, keep in mind that this isn't first-come/first-served. You're not racing other devices to get your slot in the current batch, or something. -Dan Morrill

Also, if you're not completely stock (unlocked bootloader/root are okay depending on how you did it) you won't be offered the OTA at all.

Stock Settings:

Current Bootloader: hammerhead-HHZ11d
Current Radio: M8974A-1.0.25.0.17
Stock Kernel: 3.4.0-g9eb14ba
All System apps present
No modifications of ANY kind.

Blades64

Banned
My phone still hasn't arrived as yet (will have get it next Saturday). This will be my first Android phone. Completely new to it. All this talk about rooting and launchers and such are scary to me. What are the benefits for such things?

My phone still hasn't arrived as yet (will have get it next Saturday). This will be my first Android phone. Completely new to it. All this talk about rooting and launchers and such are scary to me. What are the benefits for such things?

Tbh, you don't need to do that with a Nexus. It's already the cleanest Android possible but rooting and molding is generally if you want 100% control of your phone. If your not into tweaking and fixing the tiniest of details, the nexus is perfect.

I would love to buy a 32gb but I do not want to wait so long just for one.

Tenacious-V

Don't even worry about it, you'll get a great, clean, snappy experience out of the box, with stock settings.

Launchers just change the look and feel of the GUI, which quite frankly isn't necessary as stock KitKat is refreshing with it's clean simplicity. Besides if you ever want to change launchers, you don't need to be rooted.

Currently the only reason I've rooted is to use some statistics programs like BetterBatteryStats that just monitor things a little more closely. I was going to put in a different kernel, and maybe mess with some roms some time, but honestly this is the first time I have a smartphone where I don't think I'm going to do a damn thing to it. I'm really happy with everything stock. Google really impressed me this time!

Blades64

Banned
Tbh, you don't need to do that with a Nexus. It's already the cleanest Android possible but rooting and molding is generally if you want 100% control of your phone. If your not into tweaking and fixing the tiniest of details, the nexus is perfect.

I would love to buy a 32gb but I do not want to wait so long just for one.

Don't even worry about it, you'll get a great, clean, snappy experience out of the box, with stock settings.

Launchers just change the look and feel of the GUI, which quite frankly isn't necessary as stock KitKat is refreshing with it's clean simplicity. Besides if you ever want to change launchers, you don't need to be rooted.

Currently the only reason I've rooted is to use some statistics programs like BetterBatteryStats that just monitor things a little more closely. I was going to put in a different kernel, and maybe mess with some roms some time, but honestly this is the first time I have a smartphone where I don't think I'm going to do a damn thing to it. I'm really happy with everything stock. Google really impressed me this time!

*Sigh of relief*. Thanks! Probably when I get used to Android, I will unlock the bootloader and root it, since I do just like have complete control over whatever I buy.

hitsugi

From what I'm getting out of a day of use, the default camera app is indeed faster to focus and take a photo, but the pictures have more noise and less detail than before..

Camera FX shoots a little slower but retains more detail and natural light so far.

tr4656

From what I'm getting out of a day of use, the default camera app is indeed faster to focus and take a photo, but the pictures have more noise and less detail than before..

Camera FX shoots a little slower but retains more detail and natural light so far.

Really? I felt like they all provide the same amount of detail.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Battery life is definitely improved with this update.

Dis update
LtNDbKz.png

Symphonia

Banned
It's easier than you may think, and there are numerous step by step tutorials. Only takes around 10 minutes or so of actual work.. or less
I've read a few and I'm new to Android (like, the Nexus 5 is my first Android phone) and I don't want to risk bricking it. If I do go down the road of downloading the SDK and using the command line, will I risk losing all data on my phone?

jimbor

Banned
I've read a few and I'm new to Android (like, the Nexus 5 is my first Android phone) and I don't want to risk bricking it. If I do go down the road of downloading the SDK and using the command line, will I risk losing all data on my phone?

Going by your general luck, I'd say you might be best off waiting.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I had some issues applying 4.4.1 zip. I tinkered with my phone but it was stock rooted with franco kernel. I initially tried flashing the zip in TWRP recovery. Didn't work. First, I realized I deleted system apps, like Google Earth, with Titanium Backup. So I had to reflash the stock image. Then, I restored my kernel from franco to stock.

Still didn't work. Turns out, for you franco kernel users out there, do the following:

Franco Kernel? Here's what you do:

Rename /system/lib/hw/power.msm8974.so.bak to /system/lib/hw/power.msm8974.so 2 - Rename /system/bin/thermal-engine-hh-bak to /system/bin/thermal-engine-hh

Flash stock kernel - Reboot to the bootloader and flash stock Kernel by downloading the Nexus images and then fastboot flash boot boot.img (or restore if using FK Updater)

I'm now on 4.4.1.

BigFwoosh

Got my replacement Nexus 5 today, even though the order status page still says Pending. God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

C'mon, Google. Pleeeeeeeeeease give me the update.

Does the Google Services Framework trick officially no longer work for Android updates? Because it hasn't worked for me in quite a while.

Tenacious-V

If any of you were/are having button rattle problems (I did, but popped the case off and modded it myself) or were having speaker problems, there's a new batch of Nexus 5 hardware out that fixes it.

So if you're still under your free RMA grace period and really can't stand it, you're more likely to get one that actually solves the problem.

You can see the housing is tighter around the buttons, and the speaker grills are larger.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2557699

Internets

I'm thinking of getting the Diztronic TPU case, based on all the positive reviews I've been seeing, unless anyone can recommend a better alternative. What would be a good fairly low-cost screen protector to go with that?

I'm having a weird issue. This evening I noticed Google Now was showing me weather for somewhere called Lymm in England, I then went into Maps and my location was also showing as Lymm, I actually live in Northern Ireland.

It shows the correct location when I'm on mobile internet, but it's wrong when I'm connected to wifi. I thought it was an IP address issue, but no other devices in the house are showing the wrong location. Anyone come across this before, or know how to fix it?

I have a problem. The voicemail icon stays in the notification tray. I used to use Google Voice for it, and I know my girlfriend confirmed leaving voicemails on it but I could never retrieve them on either Voice or my cell voicemail. It's the icon for voicemail though, so you'd think it would be the cellular voicemail. But nope, I call and it says no new messages. Restarting doesn't work, and this problem started since before I got the Nexus 5, on my previous HTC phone.

Remyzero

Just picked one of these up. What's the best way to maximize/optimize battery life?

Try disable location services and turning off Google Now. Also, turn off wi-fi scanning always available by tapping wifi and then going to "advanced"

Also turn off location reporting, I usually keep my screen brightness around 35% full.

From what I've read that's the best stuff to do for a stock N5. Have fun with your phone!

CronoShot

I'm thinking of getting the Diztronic TPU case, based on all the positive reviews I've been seeing, unless anyone can recommend a better alternative. What would be a good fairly low-cost screen protector to go with that?

I got the Diztronic TPU case in the other day. To my great dismay, it peels my screen protector off whenever I push on the sides. And the screen protector is about as straight as it could possibly get without a machine putting it on.

Sucks too, since it seems like a good case otherwise.

Panda Rin

bought the diztronic case with these screen protectors after some recommendations:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPQUZH2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Applied them yesterday without a fuss and they work great. Don't even notice them on the phone after application.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Does android have a lock rotation shortcut like ios7?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have a problem. The voicemail icon stays in the notification tray. I used to use Google Voice for it, and I know my girlfriend confirmed leaving voicemails on it but I could never retrieve them on either Voice or my cell voicemail. It's the icon for voicemail though, so you'd think it would be the cellular voicemail. But nope, I call and it says no new messages. Restarting doesn't work, and this problem started since before I got the Nexus 5, on my previous HTC phone.

Call your carrier.

hitsugi

Meh, at that point, I'd rather just carry a m 4/3rd.

In the end, a real camera will trump a cell phone's offerings regardless; it's kind of a moot point. I would prefer slower shutter and better shots, but to each their own.

Nevertheless, I have faith that Google will find the happy medium for this phone's camera.

Remyzero

Oh nice they fixed the Google play drainage on the battery. Looks like I might be on stock for a few cycles to see the battery drain.

I got the Diztronic TPU case in the other day. To my great dismay, it peels my screen protector off whenever I push on the sides. And the screen protector is about as straight as it could possibly get without a machine putting it on.

Sucks too, since it seems like a good case otherwise.

Exact same thing that happened to me... shame because the screen protector I got was really good. After going through 2 of them I decided just to leave it off. The touch feels better that way and it's less dusty. Hopefully the gorilla glass is durable.

Picobrain

Banned
I am seriously thinking to upgrade to nexus 5 from my Gnex but there is only one thing that's worrying me and that's the battery life.
Gnex battery is really bad and I have seen mixed review about Nexus 5.

In your experience if you have everything on (wifi, 3g, sync, gps..) and use internet around 2 hours per day with 1 hour music listening and 1 hour gaming can you get through the whole day and still have some battery left?

How is the stand by time, if you leave it before sleep and wake up in the morning how many % goes down?

I would really appreciate if somebody answer this questions, like I said it the only thing holding me from buying Nexus 5.

Bboy AJ

Look for Andrex's posts. He upgraded from GN.

JonnyBrad

Just to show some improvements in the 4.4.1 camera. I can now take pics of my dog running around without him just being a blurry mess. They've gone a little Samsung TV like by really cranking the contrast as well. But overall its now a usable camera when things are in motion unlike before. Shouldn't have launched in the state it was but i guess the Halloween date was fixed with the KitKat tie in.

Dp7uoog.jpg

d7X6sSS.jpg

Top Bottom