• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

ismk

The new 4.4.1 update is too big of an update to just wait so if you are a somewhat advance user on Android, I would just recommend to do a ADB sideload update via recovery. It's quite easy and basically risk free.

JonnyBrad

is there a complete changelog somewhere ?

if its only camera starts faster and white levels adjusted then I can wait

There is the commit log, but its not really readable unless you're a programmer. 4.4.1 is a bug squash. They have fixed the problems with exchange and the stock mail client.

They have also changed the settings icon in quick settings. lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is anyone here particularly savvy with Google Now?

Specifically, I want to be kept up to date with restaurant and food related stuff in the Manhattan area, except I live in Staten Island. How can I tell Google Now to pretend I live in Manhattan?

I've been experiencing this bug with my background now. I want it to look like this:
1424319_754185371258738_465144038_n.jpg
but it resizes it to this from time to time, especially after restarting the phone:

Is this a known issue? It's annoying to say the least.

My phone came in yesterday. I know the 4.4.1 is out now, but is there anyway to update it on stock Android? It keeps saying it's up-to-date on my phone and it's on 4.4.

thespot84

Specifically, I want to be kept up to date with restaurant and food related stuff in the Manhattan area, except I live in Staten Island. How can I tell Google Now to pretend I live in Manhattan?

just do a bunch of google searches for new manhattan restaurants, and it'll pop up in google now as a research topic

roddur

anyone knows how i can connect a dlna certified tv with this phone? i used to connect my Samsung phone to my tv and watched videos. is it possible with this phone?

That's more of an enthusiast type of search than Google Now might offer.

You might try Google's Field Trip, although I'm not sure if you can set the area to where you're not currently.

I wish chefsfeed.com would make an Android app. You can try to use their webpage, but it's not as convenient.

hitsugi

Has Google mentioned anything about the camera update coming to the nexus 4? The camera is the only thing still drawing me to buy a 5.

It's important to note the camera "update" was really made specifically for the N5's camera. I can't imagine it having any sort of impact on the N4.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm on 4.4.1 but haven't received the Play update yet that came out a 2 or 3 days back. Anyone here get it yet? And do I check for service updates (such as Play) through Play itself or through Settings?
I have no idea what rooting or flashing means.

If you are serious about trying to do it manually (I ended up doing the same) read a lot of the stuff here, especially the stickies
http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general

Maxrunner

If any of you were/are having button rattle problems (I did, but popped the case off and modded it myself) or were having speaker problems, there's a new batch of Nexus 5 hardware out that fixes it.

So if you're still under your free RMA grace period and really can't stand it, you're more likely to get one that actually solves the problem.

You can see the housing is tighter around the buttons, and the speaker grills are larger.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2557699

I assume if i buy one in the next weeks ill get one of the newer ones?

Doopliss

I'm on 4.4.1 but haven't received the Play update yet that came out a 2 or 3 days back. Anyone here get it yet? And do I check for service updates (such as Play) through Play itself or through Settings?
You either wait for the update to get pushed to your device or you download and install the APK file when it gets posted on Android Police.

Symphonia

Banned
Turns out I don't have it. Seriously, the guides are telling me to look for a directory on my laptop - a directory that doesn't even fucking exist.

mturco

What is the RMA period for Google Play?

From the Play Store site:
Return policy

If for any reason you don’t want to keep your device, you have 15 calendar days to return a device from the date you received it. The device and accessories must be returned to Google in its original packaging according to the instructions provided in the Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) form. Google will issue a refund in your Google Wallet account for the amount paid for the device, less any shipping and handling charges, within a reasonable time after Google receives the device.
All purchases from November 26, 2013 - December 25, 2013 may be be returned through January 13, 2014.

Rootbeer

Banned
Alright, my first month of T-Mobile ends tonight. I used... 1.07GB!!! Guess I can go a lot heavier on the spotify and youtube now if I feel like it :p

I have good wifi at home and work, so that's how much I used otherwise. Nice to see I have a huge buffer of LTE data above my 'average' usage. Gonna start putting it to more use

SimleuqiR

I barely use my phone as a phone. But last night I had a 30 minute convo with my cousin and the call quality is amazing. I want to note that she uses a Galaxy S3 which supports HD voice, same as the Nexus 5.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm getting really fucking pissed off with this. Hell, it was easier on iPhone.

My computer is telling me that a device cannot be found when trying to run adb through a command prompt. It recognised it at first but now it won't read it at all.

SimleuqiR

My computer is telling me that a device cannot be found when trying to run adb through a command prompt. It recognised it at first but now it won't read it at all.

You trying to sideload the new OTA?

ADB is simple, the problem lies in dealing with Windows drivers and other little issues that happen when you are trying to access the phone via USB.

On the Nexus 5 I had trouble finding the device via ADB. I had to make sure to grant access to my Windows 7 machine on the phone to be able to find it via ADB. Oddly enough I had to switch the phone from MTP to PTP to be able to get a prompt from it to give access to my PC for an ADB session:

Screenshot_2011-12-20-02-45-59.png

This is under Settings>Storage> click the 3 dot menu overflow>USB Computer Connection.

You should see this type of message before you can ADB on any PC:

nexusae0_Screenshot_2013-02-12-11-47-41.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You're having a drivers issue. That's a Windows problem. Works great on OSX and Linux. It's plug and play.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
I assume if i buy one in the next weeks ill get one of the newer ones?

No guarantees, but there's a good chance. I'm sure they've already sold out of their original shipments a while ago. All of the ones being produced now should be the revised design.

You have to make sure you've installed the android device drivers for Windows.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

Also when you're trying to sideload anything, make sure you enable install from unknown sources:

Settings > Security > Unknown Sources

Also, make sure you've enabled USB Debugging:

Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging

*If you don't have developer options, enable it first:

Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number a bunch of times

Cromat

I know this is a dumb question and an even dumber place to ask it, but I'm really conflicted between getting this, the 5S or just waiting.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4 which just recently started having some issues so it might be a good idea to sell it before it loses all value. I'd get the 5s but it's so brutally expensive - it costs almost twice as much as the Nexus.

I know this is a dumb question and an even dumber place to ask it, but I'm really conflicted between getting this, the 5S or just waiting.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4 which just recently started having some issues so it might be a good idea to sell it before it loses all value. I'd get the 5s but it's so brutally expensive - it costs almost twice as much as the Nexus.
There are several Android users who'd say if you're considering an iOS device, get an iOS device.

If money's an issue, then that might not be an option. The Nexus line is, however, the easiest to use and most streamlined of all the Android options so switching shouldn't be too cumbersome, unless you're really into Apple services.

I'm a fan of Apple, and after I bought my MBP, I'd have a hard time going back to Windows. However with phones, I'm the opposite. Google's OS is much more flexible to the point of iOS being unusable (like the limited share options, lack of default app settings). YMMV, of course. I'm the type of person that uses 4GB of data per month.

Ruddy hell, you wait for an update then two come along at once!

Off to find the OTA then....

edit: 1.6MB in size, probably just a few bug fixes then.

Shambles

I'm guessing that you went through the same hell that I did and that you are on windows 8. It took me a while to figure out how to unlock the N5 after I did the N4 so easily last year on windows 7. Turns out that windows 8 does not allow you to load drivers that it doesn't have on it's on white list but it won't even tell you that. It just lets you think that everything installed honky dory when it's really blocking the driver. I think this is the page that I used to get mine working. Good luck.

Top Bottom