• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

hitsugi

Welp. sideloading 4.4.2 now.. much smaller update. Eager to see if there's any real difference in the camera though

Symphonia

Banned
I'm guessing that you went through the same hell that I did and that you are on windows 8. It took me a while to figure out how to unlock the N5 after I did the N4 so easily last year on windows 7. Turns out that windows 8 does not allow you to load drivers that it doesn't have on it's on white list but it won't even tell you that. It just lets you think that everything installed honky dory when it's really blocking the driver. I think this is the page that I used to get mine working. Good luck.
I've given up on it for now, especially now that 4.4.2 is out. Windows 8 is a peice of shit when it comes to installing drivers, even more so when doing it for Android phones. Installing or updating iOS was never this difficult.

roddur

Quoting myself...

anyone knows how i can connect a dlna certified tv with this phone? i used to connect my Samsung phone to my tv and watched videos. is it possible with this phone?

did i ask anything wrong? N5 is my first android phone, so i don't know a lot of stuff :)

also, surprised that there is no native call blocking option.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've given up on it for now, especially now that 4.4.2 is out. Windows 8 is a peice of shit when it comes to installing drivers, even more so when doing it for Android phones. Installing or updating iOS was never this difficult.

Uhhh neither is Android. Just wait for the OTA like Google suggests.

It's like saying Android sucks cause custom ROMs are hard.

Husker86

Uhhh neither is Android. Just wait for the OTA like Google suggests.

It's like saying Android sucks cause custom ROMs are hard.
Yeah..

Also, for some reason, I have to put my Nexus devices in Camera mode for them to work with ADB. Try changing from MTP to Camera when connected via USB.

Quoting myself...

did i ask anything wrong? N5 is my first android phone, so i don't know a lot of stuff :)

also, surprised that there is no native call blocking option.

Yes you can. I used it with my Bravia smart tv. Had to do a manual connection though, it wouldn't connect automatically for some reason. Via wireless display you can also mirror the phone screen to your tv screen.

Is it even possible to sideload updates on ios :|

This isn't the normal way to update the OS, its a way for people who are a bit more savvy to update early.

just got my nexus. if you press the back button does the app automatically close? also, yahoo mail service is still running under settibgs-apps. any way to disable this crap?

Cudder

just got my nexus. if you press the back button does the app automatically close? also, yahoo mail service is still running under settibgs-apps. any way to disable this crap?

Depending on the app, pressing back might allow you to exit the app properly. Otherwise you'll have to clear it from the recent apps. And why wouldn't your mail app service to be running?

Depending on the app, pressing back might allow you to exit the app properly. Otherwise you'll have to clear it from the recent apps. And why wouldn't your mail app service to be running?

because i check it frequently anyways, and sometimes there are a lot of stupid spam mails that aren't filtered, or just updates from things like new deals on newegg or some other things and those go straight to inbox.

anyways, uninstalled yahoo mail app and just went with yahoo mail for mobile browsers.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is 4.4.2 the most prolific OTA update ever? Seems like a large majority of us received it immediately. A sign of things to come?

So wait for the OTA. On iOS, you'll wait potentially a few months for the update to reach you. Because it's on Dev Beta when released. Google does theirs quickly. You won't get it right away but you'll get it faster compared to when iOS updates are released.

aznpxdd

Man, now with the camera update, I'm REALLY tempted to pick up a Nexus 5 now.

I know this has been asked countless times, but what's the real world battery usage like? My Nexus 4 is absolutely dogshit in terms of battery life, and its one thing I hope that's much better with Nexus 5...

Symphonia

Banned
And now updated to 4.4.2. I haven't been able to test the battery yet, but the camera has definitely improved and the volume of the speakers has increased ten fold. Colour me impressed.

yyzjohn

Banned
And now updated to 4.4.2. I haven't been able to test the battery yet, but the camera has definitely improved and the volume of the speakers has increased ten fold. Colour me impressed.

Battery seems better too (at least in standby). The battery graph when you're idle for a while shows a nice flat slope.

roddur

Yes you can. I used it with my Bravia smart tv. Had to do a manual connection though, it wouldn't connect automatically for some reason. Via wireless display you can also mirror the phone screen to your tv screen.

did you use a third party app?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My battery has been so much better after .1. It's still not particularly great but it's a noticeable improvement.

Kamek

Got 4.4.2. I let my phone die yesterday by mistake, so I'm charging it to full now.

Does anyone else have this problem with their 5? When I lie down to talk on the phone with my girl, she says I sound far away, or inaudible, if i put the phone on the bed side and not the open ear side (if that makes sense) when I lie on my side. This never happened with my Gnex. Any solutions?

Sioen

Is it normal that the youtube app feels somewhat sluggish? It seems like the videos aren't as smooth as on my iphone. This is also noticable on video playing through chrome like on Giantbomb.. It seems like the video's constantly drop frames. I'm on 4.4.

Havok

Is it normal that the youtube app feels somewhat sluggish? It seems like the videos aren't as smooth as on my iphone. This is also noticable on video playing through chrome like on Giantbomb.. It seems like the video's constantly drop frames. I'm on 4.4.
I've noticed that Giant Bomb's videos have had some pretty serious frame drops on my Nexus 5 too, but I found a workaround. If you download the videos and use MX Player, then select the software decoder setting instead of the hardware decoder, they play back just fine.

Sioen

I've noticed that Giant Bomb's videos have had some pretty serious frame drops on my Nexus 5 too, but I found a workaround. If you download the videos and use MX Player, then select the software decoder setting instead of the hardware decoder, they play back just fine.
Have you noticed this with youtube aswell? And thank you for helping I'm new to android.

Top Bottom