• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Doopliss

Is it normal that the youtube app feels somewhat sluggish? It seems like the videos aren't as smooth as on my iphone. This is also noticable on video playing through chrome like on Giantbomb.. It seems like the video's constantly drop frames. I'm on 4.4.
With 4.4.1 it doesn't constantly chug any more but I still feel like there are occasional stutters which shouldn't be happening on hardware of this power.

Aesius

Every time I see this thread, I rage a little on the inside at not being able to upgrade to it from Galaxy Nexus. Damn you Verizon.

Every time I see this thread, I rage a little on the inside at not being able to upgrade to it from Galaxy Nexus. Damn you Verizon.

I'm upgrading to the Nexus 5 from the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Just switching to the T-Mo $30 plan as part of the upgrade. I actually got my N5 much faster than I expected, just waiting for my Verizon contract to end to activate it. 9 more days...

Im jumping ship. My poor droid bionic is so old, so very old. Its off contract now anway, but im waiting for this to start shipping in one week.

Got 4.4.2. I let my phone die yesterday by mistake, so I'm charging it to full now.

Does anyone else have this problem with their 5? When I lie down to talk on the phone with my girl, she says I sound far away, or inaudible, if i put the phone on the bed side and not the open ear side (if that makes sense) when I lie on my side. This never happened with my Gnex. Any solutions?

You're blocking the second mic at the top near the headphone jack. When you do this, it muffles the sound.

Solution: Don't do it.

Just updated, camera is very noticeably improved, to the point where I'm wondering how I could have been OK with the previous 4.4 version - though I'd been using an Xperia Arc S on ICS and the camera/software was terrible but this is excellent

Moving around the OS in general seems quicker too, 4.4 was speedy anyway but it seems just tighter moving around

Extremely pleased with the N5

dorkimoe

probably not the right place, sorry :(

thinking of getting my first android. debating on motox or nexus 5. Nexus 5 has dat sweet sweet wireless charging. But i really like the active display on moto x :(

guys halp

JoeFu

Banned
Tired of waiting so I sideloaded the update. I really hate how annoying it is to manually flash updates now. The N1 was the best.

Shanks

So question. I had an older Motorola on AT&T and texts on the messaging app and hangouts worked fine. After switching to T-Mobile and the Nexus 5 though, it splits texts into 160 character limits which is annoying. Is there a way to fix this? It's irritating as hell.

Furyous

Nexus 5 owners, I have a few general questions for you.

Is there a way to disable the navigation buttons in KitKat?

Is there a way to mimic iphone gestures on an android device such as double tap to home?

Are there battery packs, like the mophie cases, for the Nexus 5?

i tried it, both tv and phone showed they are connected. but there was no wifi direct sharing option to use. i googled it and it seems N5's wifi direct does not work properly, yet.

Are you trying to mirror the screen or stream content via DLNA? I was able to mirror the screen but didn't try DLNA.

Really stupid question.

If I buy this phone, I can just swap out my iPhone 5 Rogers sim card into it and go? Or do I have to go to a Rogers store?

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Nice, for the other Canadians out there, it seems LG is coming out with an OEM slim hard shell case.

If I didn't have a Ringke Slim (and 4 other hard shell cases coming in the mail) already I'd jump on the white one. Actually I probably will still order a white one anyway, it looks too good with the official Nexus printing.

HT5C97a.jpg

jKh49Wp.jpg

You can order them at the Bell Nexus 5 Accessories page, for $5 less than the other sites I've seen.
http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Accessories

Quoting myself! (Ordered a white one, ships this week)

For you 'murricans out there, stumbled upon this!

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/accessory/ao_details.jsp?accSKU=78300442&accCatId=acc9003cat

Looks like Sprint has the white LG Hardshell for order on their site. No sign of the black.

Looks like my Ringke Slim is getting permanently sidelined. This looks like the best designed hardshell as well. The case has full coverage on the top, and the corners cover more of the bottom than either the Ringke or the Spigen. The cutouts around the buttons are also done better. Nice recessed openings, instead of chunks cut out.

Husker86

Really stupid question.

If I buy this phone, I can just swap out my iPhone 5 Rogers sim card into it and go? Or do I have to go to a Rogers store?

You'll need an adapter since the iPhone 5/5s use nano SIMs. Or you could get a new SIM from your carrier.

If you're keeping you iPhone I'd suggest getting an adapter so you can swap between them if you want.

You'll need an adapter since the iPhone 5/5s use nano SIMs. Or you could get a new SIM from your carrier.

If you're keeping you iPhone I'd suggest getting an adapter so you can swap between them if you want.

Probably gonna sell the iPhone. I will get an adapter first though, it looks like they are dirt cheap on Amazon.ca.

Thanks ! :)

edit: Ugh but shipping takes forever!

Nexus 5 owners, I have a few general questions for you.

Is there a way to disable the navigation buttons in KitKat?

Is there a way to mimic iphone gestures on an android device such as double tap to home?

Are there battery packs, like the mophie cases, for the Nexus 5?

not without root.

not without root.

no.

get an iPhone.

Husker86

Probably gonna sell the iPhone. I will get an adapter first though, it looks like they are dirt cheap on Amazon.ca.

Thanks ! :)

edit: Ugh but shipping takes forever!
Some of the cheap ones come from China so you might need to spend a few bucks more to get one that ships from closer.

I'm currently on Cataclysm 4.4 with Franco Kernel r19 and the moto x dalvick mod. If I flash Cataclysm 4.4.1, do I have to reflash the moto x mod?

Symphonia

Banned
Not even close. My girlfriend has an S3, and her camera is terrible by comparison. She used to shit on my Nexus 4 camera all the time, and now, she's constantly frustrated whenever we both try to take a picture of the sane thing and mine comes out infinitely better.
Yeah, the camera on the N5 is absolutely amazing. I thought it was great with 4.4 but 4.4.1/4.4.2 improve it ten fold. The quality of the photos, even when zoomed in, is absolutely brilliant.

My phone upgraded straight to .2 and I don't notice a better camera at all. I didn't have an issue with it in the first place other than coming from a GS3 to this, meaning the software for the camera on the GS3 is much better than stock android software.

But yeah, not noticing anything.

Trying to stream content. I think you tried on Sony tv, mine is Samsung. Possible TV might have something to do with it?

Possilbly. Samsung likes to use its own apps, so try to look for something on the play store. I have a samsung tablet from work that has built in apps to mirror and stream content.

Some of the cheap ones come from China so you might need to spend a few bucks more to get one that ships from closer.

Yeah. It just sucks to go from 2 bucks to 10 bucks. Haha. But I would much rather get it early next week than wait till like mid January. Haha.

Cromat

Took a dive on the Nexus 5.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4, I would go for the 5s but it didn't make sense for me to pay almost double, especially considering that I could have the Nexus and a new iPad mini for less than a 32gb 5s. I think I'll enjoy a big screen, I just hope the change isn't too hard and that I wouldn't have to fiddle around with the phone all the time.

I'm sure everything will work out well! I'll be more informed afterwards at the very least.

adamYUKI

Still no update.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Hi Bertram! Can you explain how I can get Google Voice as my voicemail? You mentioned a while back that I'd have to disable my T-Mobile voicemail - which I did. I also asked them to change my conditional forwarding numbers to my Google number (since GV app nor I could change them manually).

It still doesn't forward to my Google number. Please halp!

yyzjohn

Banned
Took a dive on the Nexus 5.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4, I would go for the 5s but it didn't make sense for me to pay almost double, especially considering that I could have the Nexus and a new iPad mini for less than a 32gb 5s. I think I'll enjoy a big screen, I just hope the change isn't too hard and that I wouldn't have to fiddle around with the phone all the time.

I'm sure everything will work out well! I'll be more informed afterwards at the very least.

Good luck to you, depends on how techie inclined you are I think. I originally went from iPhone 4 to Nexus 4, and I never looked back. I love the customization of Android and the ability to do whatever you want with the right app and root. Some people that come from iPhone find it too overwhelming, I know cause my brother in law just did and he's struggling with Android and misses his iPhone. To each his own.

Lion

Hello guys. I am gonna be soon part of the smartphone world and I have to say that I'm generally cheap but I do appreciate a good quality phone for a relatively cheap price like the nexus 5. At first I was considering the Moto-G but is apparent that phone is not as future-proof as the nexus 5, performance wise at least.

The question is, on its own terms do you think the nexus 5 will last me at least a good 3-4 years without becoming what you may call "slow" due to performance? I don't plan on doing gaming at all but I do like to do multitasking of different apps and such (I do have a nexus 7 2013 which I find relatively fast even under multitasking).

Cromat

Good luck to you, depends on how techie inclined you are I think. I originally went from iPhone 4 to Nexus 4, and I never looked back. I love the customization of Android and the ability to do whatever you want with the right app and root. Some people that come from iPhone find it too overwhelming, I know cause my brother in law just did and he's struggling with Android and misses his iPhone. To each his own.

I can definitely do all of that. Actually, that's why I'm a bit worried that I'll end up constantly tweaking and fixing and playing around.

It's interesting that iOS and Android basically reached a stage where without some sort d personal experience it's hard to formulate an opinion.

yyzjohn

Banned
Hello guys. I am gonna be soon part of the smartphone world and I have to say that I'm generally cheap but I do appreciate a good quality phone for a relatively cheap price like the nexus 5. At first I was considering the Moto-G but is apparent that phone is not as future-proof as the nexus 5, performance wise at least.

The question is, on its own terms do you think the nexus 5 will last me at least a good 3-4 years without becoming what you may call "slow" due to performance? I don't plan on doing gaming at all but I do like to do multitasking of different apps and such (I do have a nexus 7 2013 which I find relatively fast even under multitasking).

There's no guarantee for 3-4 years down the road because you never know what type of software changes there will be, but the Nexus 5 has the fastest mobile processor currently available from Qualcomm, so it'll be as capable as any other Snapdragon 800 equipped phone. Considering there's still people using the Galaxy Nexus today, I would say the Nexus 5 will still be fine in 3 years.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Quoting myself! (Ordered a white one, ships this week)

For you 'murricans out there, stumbled upon this!

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/accessory/ao_details.jsp?accSKU=78300442&accCatId=acc9003cat

Looks like Sprint has the white LG Hardshell for order on their site. No sign of the black.

Looks like my Ringke Slim is getting permanently sidelined. This looks like the best designed hardshell as well. The case has full coverage on the top, and the corners cover more of the bottom than either the Ringke or the Spigen. The cutouts around the buttons are also done better. Nice recessed openings, instead of chunks cut out.

!

I want this. In black.

Hi Bertram! Can you explain how I can get Google Voice as my voicemail? You mentioned a while back that I'd have to disable my T-Mobile voicemail - which I did. I also asked them to change my conditional forwarding numbers to my Google number (since GV app nor I could change them manually).

It still doesn't forward to my Google number. Please halp!

Oh geez, I'm sorry for not responding!

For me, all I had to do was have them disable T-Mobile voicemail. I didn't ask them to change the conditional forwarding numbers or anything. Once the voicemail was disabled, I downloaded the Google Voice app, went through the setup, and was good to go.

If you're still having issues, I'd probably head over to one of the tech-ier tech forums out there. XDA is usually a helpful place, as is Android Central.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

I'm going to say that your battery charge cycles will run dry far before the performance of the phone will seem slow. Charging once a day, by 3 - 4 years, you'll be getting maybe 30 - 40% efficiency. Of course the Nexus 5 battery isn't exactly hard to replace.

Also, considering the Moto-G just came out, with specs lower than last years Nexus 4, and it still runs pretty decently. I'm pretty sure, having the Nexus 5 with top end specs now, will be just fine in 3+ years.

Top Bottom