• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

hitsugi

Ok, well I'll wait for Nexus 6 then :/

Why do you want a Nexus device? The N5's camera was as close as it could be to being great, then they patched things which allowed for faster focus times and shots, but with ISO levels that are through the roof in order to compensate for it.

If you're looking for a top tier camera, you should not hold out for a Nexus phone.

adamYUKI

Oh geez, I'm sorry for not responding!

For me, all I had to do was have them disable T-Mobile voicemail. I didn't ask them to change the conditional forwarding numbers or anything. Once the voicemail was disabled, I downloaded the Google Voice app, went through the setup, and was good to go.

If you're still having issues, I'd probably head over to one of the tech-ier tech forums out there. XDA is usually a helpful place, as is Android Central.

Thank you kind sir! :)

I'll head over to XDA. Just one quick question before I go: do you have the $30 pre-paid plain from T-Mobile?

Getting a Nexus 5 in a few weeks, what are my options in regards to backup from my Nexus 4?

Does Googles own sync stuff take over the data from within the apps? Are there better (non root) solutions out there?

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh geez, I'm sorry for not responding!

For me, all I had to do was have them disable T-Mobile voicemail. I didn't ask them to change the conditional forwarding numbers or anything. Once the voicemail was disabled, I downloaded the Google Voice app, went through the setup, and was good to go.

If you're still having issues, I'd probably head over to one of the tech-ier tech forums out there. XDA is usually a helpful place, as is Android Central.

Let me make sure I understand...

so, people calling my T-Mobile # would still go to Google Voice, even if my GV # is different? Because that's what I want to happen. If so I will try this! I'm on the $30 plan too.

*edit* yeah it's not working for me, it gives me a "the subscribe you have dialed blah blah", been fiddling with settings, can't get GV to pick up the calls. :(

Let me make sure I understand...

so, people calling my T-Mobile # would still go to Google Voice, even if my GV # is different? Because that's what I want to happen. If so I will try this! I'm on the $30 plan too.

*edit* yeah it's not working for me, it gives me a "the subscribe you have dialed blah blah", been fiddling with settings, can't get GV to pick up the calls. :(

don't think that works on prepaid.

Zabuza

Banned
If price isn't an issue, is this the best Android phone? It seems better than the more expensive competitors. Don't want a Note 3 by the way.

dorkimoe

Took a dive on the Nexus 5.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4, I would go for the 5s but it didn't make sense for me to pay almost double, especially considering that I could have the Nexus and a new iPad mini for less than a 32gb 5s. I think I'll enjoy a big screen, I just hope the change isn't too hard and that I wouldn't have to fiddle around with the phone all the time.

I'm sure everything will work out well! I'll be more informed afterwards at the very least.

Thinking of coming from iPhone 5 to moto x myself. I'm techie. But I don't know if I feel like messing and tweaking anything other than basic things.

tr4656

If price isn't an issue, is this the best Android phone? It seems better than the more expensive competitors. Don't want a Note 3 by the way.
G2 is basically the same with a bigger battery though.
Thinking of coming from iPhone 5 to moto x myself. I'm techie. But I don't know if I feel like messing and tweaking anything other than basic things.

If you don't like messing around, may or may not be worth going. Android definitely is more flexible but some apps are definitely not as good as the iOS counterpart or just not there (see Day One).

CronoShot

Arguably. The LG G2 and Xperia Z1 both have bigger batteries (and the Z1 has a memory card slot), but they're obviously not stock Android and won't get updates as fast. I believe they're both still on 4.2.2, in fact.

There's also the Moto X, if you want to trade the better specs of the Nexus 5 for certain features.

tr4656

Arguably. The LG G2 and Xperia Z1 both have bigger batteries (and the Z1 has a memory card slot), but they're obviously not stock Android and won't get updates as fast. I believe they're both still on 4.2.2, in fact.

There's also the Moto X, if you want to trade the better specs of the Nexus 5 for certain features.

The thing to note about the Xperia Z1 is that the display still is washed out if you care about that.

Is there any good cases that are like the LG QuickCover ?

...or alternatively, what do you guys suggest for cases? Im not a case guy, but the job I work now, pretty much means I need to keep my phone in a case most days.

Husker86

Does anyone else's vibration motor make a sort of loose clicking sound at the end of a short pulse (like on keyboard presses or on-screen nav button presses)?

Hello guys. I am gonna be soon part of the smartphone world and I have to say that I'm generally cheap but I do appreciate a good quality phone for a relatively cheap price like the nexus 5. At first I was considering the Moto-G but is apparent that phone is not as future-proof as the nexus 5, performance wise at least.

The question is, on its own terms do you think the nexus 5 will last me at least a good 3-4 years without becoming what you may call "slow" due to performance? I don't plan on doing gaming at all but I do like to do multitasking of different apps and such (I do have a nexus 7 2013 which I find relatively fast even under multitasking).

Battery aside, 4 years will probably be pushing it. The Nexus One will be 4 years old next month for a reference.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My N5 came with a dead pixel. :( Waiting for a replacement now, which seems like it's gonna take some time. Shipments to Sweden (where LG is the distributor, not Google) have been very low, I think. But the one I have now works fine other than that, so I can live with it as long as I know a replacement is coming.

SimleuqiR

Might not be a fair comparison, but here are two images of the same scene, same time, same lighting:

Nexus 5

IMG_20131123_183250.jpg

GS3

Granted the GS3 picture was taken by my cousin. I don't know how well she knows the camera software on the S3, but she didn't fiddle with it too long. She just took the picture rather quickly.

lunchtoast

So it won't let me update. I keep getting e drive errors on install

E: invalid command argument
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed

I've tried doing a factory reset, even unrooting and locking the boot. I'm using stock rom.

Ok think I got it. Had to flash stock image. Don't know what got fucked up when I first rooted it.

Rootbeer

Banned
i got 4.4.2 on the day it came out but still haven't received the play store update o_O I'd really like them to push it to me because the store keeps crashing on me when updating apps, wondering if it would be an improvement.

I ordered the Nillkin case that is similar to the official LG case. It was on Amazon but it was not available for Prime and it is taking forever to get here.

Battery aside, 4 years will probably be pushing it. The Nexus One will be 4 years old next month for a reference.

OTOH, my 2 year old GNex doesn't seem nearly as slow as my OG Droid did when it was 2 years old and I replaced it with the GNex. As any technology matures each iteration tends to be decently usable for a longer period of time.

Husker86

So, I did the phone update last night, but my phone about still says Android 4.4

what gives?

But system says up to date

Have you modified the phone at all? If you did the OTA and it failed because of modified system files it will take time before if gives you the update again, saying your system is up to date.

Husker86

Yea, I unrooted it. I guess I will have to sideload the update.

If you sideload the OTA and do nothing different it will still fail (I think). The easiest way would be to flash the factory image from Google, since it will bring everything back to stock. You can do that without wiping data, but you have to make one small edit in a text editor on the .bat or .sh file. This is how I've updated all my Nexus devices for the last several updates.

The only "hard" part for some is getting drivers to work if using Windows.

Mine arrived this morning from Google Play. Haven't spent much time using it yet, but so far it's definitely worth every cent. Nice screen size, perfect display, not too heavy or light, rubberised for my pleasure and smooth performance.

Cudder

I'm going to send my N5 in for repairs soon. Is it possible for Google/LG to know if someone opens up their N5 if they send it back for replacement?

Top Bottom