• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

I have the nillkin slim case (yes I know its not the cover) and its very nice indeed

Good to hear!

I ordered the Nillkin case that is similar to the official LG case. It was on Amazon but it was not available for Prime and it is taking forever to get here.

The V series?

20131118191817235.jpg

It looks nice, I just cant decide if I want that one which looks quite slim, or to get the "Fresh" series one, which has a nice magnet on the side to keep it closed....plus I love the look of that bright fucking yellow, haha.

I might wait to see what your impressions are on your case, or I might just order both and say fuck it! I will decide on that when I actually get the phone in my hands. :p

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Got some screen protectors finally, how the hell do you put these things on without all the tiny little bubbles?

cjkeats

Got some screen protectors finally, how the hell do you put these things on without all the tiny little bubbles?

Make sure the screen is very clean with a cleaning cloth and slowly put it on from one end to the other. Did it come with some kind of rubber wedge thing? Use that to push any air bubbles out.
If you bought it at a phone store go see if they can put it on for you, some do that.

CronoShot

So ATT charged me an activation fee for putting my SIM into my Nexus 5. No warning or anything, just there on the bill. Anybody gotten this waived? Nuts that they can take money for essentially nothing. No change to the plan was required or anything.

My contract is almost up but I'm thinking of paying to kill it early. I was going to give it to my uncle, but that'll be another charge to get him a phone.

Literally no point in signing a contract besides subsidizing phones, which is still overpaying as it is.
I'm on AT&T and switched from an iPhone 5 to the Nexus 5, and had no activation fee.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Make sure the screen is very clean with a cleaning cloth and slowly put it on from one end to the other. Did it come with some kind of rubber wedge thing? Use that to push any air bubbles out.
If you bought it at a phone store go see if they can put it on for you, some do that.

Got them from Amazon, they just came with a cloth and some dust removal stickers.

Might have to find something I can use like a rubber wedge, until then I'll have to deal with my screen looking like shit :(

What service do you guys use with your Nexus 5? I just ordered the phone, but I'm not gonna need a plan for about 6 months cause I'll be abroad, but when I get back I gotta choose something. I'm in the US, and I've just left Verizon.

What's the best plan for the price?

tr4656

What service do you guys use with your Nexus 5? I just ordered the phone, but I'm not gonna need a plan for about 6 months cause I'll be abroad, but when I get back I gotta choose something. I'm in the US, and I've just left Verizon.

T-Mobile for me.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Got them from Amazon, they just came with a cloth and some dust removal stickers.

Might have to find something I can use like a rubber wedge, until then I'll have to deal with my screen looking like shit :(

Credit cards work as a pretty good application squeegee.

Husker86

So ATT charged me an activation fee for putting my SIM into my Nexus 5. No warning or anything, just there on the bill. Anybody gotten this waived? Nuts that they can take money for essentially nothing. No change to the plan was required or anything.

My contract is almost up but I'm thinking of paying to kill it early. I was going to give it to my uncle, but that'll be another charge to get him a phone.

Literally no point in signing a contract besides subsidizing phones, which is still overpaying as it is.

Get that shit taken off. I've switched between 4 phones recently on AT&T and never had that.

I'm using Ting because I'm married and we don't use the phones a lot (or use them where there's WiFi). Ting has very good prices if your usage is low. For instance, this month our bill is probably going to be $34. Maybe $45. Not $45 each, $45 total. But that's with less than 500 minutes talk and less than 1000MB of data.

Alpende

Also, try to put them on in your bathroom or something. Usually bathrooms have less dust particles flying around. I also read that turning on hot water (generating steam) while putting protectors on might help with reducing dust particles coming on your screen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got my new N5 (first one had rattling buttons and a dead pixel - the latter was what I actually got it replaced for), and this one seems pretty much perfect. No dead pixels that I've noticed yet, and the buttons are much tighter. Although I can still hear a faint "clicking" noise when I shake the phone. Could this be the autofocus mechanism I'm hearing?

Both of these phones were from the same batch, 311K.

cjkeats

Got my new N5 (first one had rattling buttons and a dead pixel - the latter was what I actually got it replaced for), and this one seems pretty much perfect. No dead pixels that I've noticed yet, and the buttons are much tighter. Although I can still hear a faint "clicking" noise when I shake the phone. Could this be the autofocus mechanism I'm hearing?

Mine is from the 301K's and has the clicking noise when you shake it. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

You can actually tell by the way you shake your phone if it's the camera or the buttons.

If you shake the phone front to back (screen towards and away from you) you should not hear movement. If you do, the buttons are causing it.

If you shake the phone laterally or vertically (left/right or up/down) you will hear a faint clicking. This is from the camera.

If you can't really tell, just hold the buttons in place and shake the phone (laterally/vertically) and you will hear only the camera. If you shake it front to back and still hear clicking, your camera lens glass (attached to the case) is not adhered to the camera module (attached under the circuit board). Pinch the camera lens and screen gently and it will adhere.

Under the round camera less glass is a thin piece of sticky tape that ensures the camera module is centred and in place.

I know this because I had really loose buttons that would rattle when I was just texting or tapping the screen... Instead of doing an RMA I took the phone apart and modded it myself. I didn't want to end up with a new phone with dead pixels, light bleed, or anything like that. Buttons are now perfect.

so once i saved a location in google maps, i can use it offline, right? i am confused with maps. i tried using "device only" and it would not load the map similar to default google maps on browsers or the usual gps map that shows the highways in light yellow colour, etc.

it can pinpoint my location though, but it does not load the map just a low-res green opaqued image once i zoom in.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I posted this in the Chromecast thread but am hoping to get more love in here.

Is anyone else having issues with Avia and Chromecasting? It just shows the logo on my TV, and doesn't allow me to stream any of my media. I am trying to stream my Google+ (picasa) photos. Very frustrating!

Not sure if it is a known issue or specific to me. I tried on my Nexus 5 and 7... Same issue with both

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

AT&T does not charge activation fees for switching sims. The rep you were dealing with was probably either incompetent or just did something shady for a gross add to his comission.

trixx

Anyone know how to go back to 4.3 on Nexus 4. I've had 4.4 for a while now and not only does it not add anything but it seems like a battery drainer. I recently updated to 4.4.2 on nexus 4 though

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Hmm, I should check my bill, too, I guess. I plopped my AT&T sim card in my Nexus 5 (since I started using Google Glass), but I still use my iPhone 5S regularly, too. I swap between the two all the time.

OmegaFax

Anyone know how to go back to 4.3 on Nexus 4. I've had 4.4 for a while now and not only does it not add anything but it seems like a battery drainer. I recently updated to 4.4.2 on nexus 4 though

Just flash the 4.3 factory image from Google's website and you'll be good to go. It is a simple restore. It will wipe your device. Technically, you could roll back as far as 4.2.2 if you wanted to. The beauty of Nexus devices.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Cover is really cool. The "peek" feature works very fast, even with Google Maps and Feedly. Makes Aviate somewhat useless by comparison.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I took my Nexus 5 and Google Glass into the wild for the first time today. I'm normally an iPhone guy, but I got a Nexus 5 so I could use Glass properly. Both were awesome to use, the Nexus is a hell of a phone.

Sky Chief

My contract with Verizon finally finished and I switched to AT&T. Got a hell of a deal with my corporate discount and the new $15 per month refund for bringing your own phone.

This phone is amazing, the combination of software and hardware seems so refined and is blazing fast.

A couple questions:

Do you still need Lightflow or something similar to get LED notifications? Is Lightflow the best solution?

What is the best way to get high quality contact photos from Facebook?

JordanKZ

Is your issue Play Services? Just go into location settings and set yourself to battery saver.

keezy

Can anybody confirm if the "Sprint" version from BestBuy is the same as the GooglePlay version? I'm thinking about trading in my iPhone 5 and paying the difference to get the Nexus 5. I miss having everything sync'd between my phone and tablet. Ever since I got this iPhone it's been bugging me having devices from different ecosystems.

Edit: Sorry, when I meant version I was referring to the device being unlocked. I'm planning on using it on ATT. My apologies.

lunchtoast

Anyone have their ringtone volume turn all the way up by itself? I can't find anything on it. The volume buttons aren't loose. I've had the phone since early November and noticed it today. It only seems to happen when I'm holding the phone upright in portrait. On 4.2.2

Can anybody confirm if the "Sprint" version from BestBuy is the same as the GooglePlay version? I'm thinking about trading in my iPhone 5 and paying the difference to get the Nexus 5. I miss having everything sync'd between my phone and tablet. Ever since I got this iPhone it's been bugging me having devices from different ecosystems.

Edit: Sorry, when I meant version I was referring to the device being unlocked. I'm planning on using it on ATT. My apologies.

The Sprint version is locked to just sprint and is not the same as the Google Play version. It also only comes in 16GB, if that's a problem for you.

I've been researching that this morning and have come to the conclusion that the Nexus 5 is carrier independent. It appears all you need is a SIM card from your SP in order for it to work on your carrier.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2509648

Huh, that's interesting. I have been to a couple sprint stores asking about the phone and both have said it's locked to sprint. Good to know, and sorry for the misinformation.

Havok

I bought it from Best Buy and use it on ATT. They told me it would be locked to Sprint, but I put in my ATT SIM and it works just fine.

There's a Sprint SIM in there when you buy it and it comes with some Sprint documentation, but I think that's the extent of it.

keezy

Huh, that's interesting. I have been to a couple sprint stores asking about the phone and both have said it's locked to sprint. Good to know, and sorry for the misinformation.

No problem. I've read conflicting arguments on the web lately which is why I asked. That site seems pretty good at providing information regarding android devices. Figured I'd answer my own question :p

Edit: @ Havok

Excellent! Did you have any fees associated with that?

Havok

Edit: @ Havok

Excellent! Did you have any fees associated with that?
Not that I'm aware of! ATT SIM went in, phone booted up and that was it. I had Best Buy price match the Google Play price for the phone, though I've read they won't always do that.

A side note: they don't include a SIM tool in the box, so make sure you've got a tack or a pin on hand.

ukas

My contract with Verizon finally finished and I switched to AT&T. Got a hell of a deal with my corporate discount and the new $15 per month refund for bringing your own phone.

This phone is amazing, the combination of software and hardware seems so refined and is blazing fast.

A couple questions:

Do you still need Lightflow or something similar to get LED notifications? Is Lightflow the best solution?

The LED works by default but, if you want to customize it you'll need Lightflow which is what I use.

For the picture sync I use Sync.Me. Although, I'm not sure if it uses high res pictures or not.

keezy

Not that I'm aware of! ATT SIM went in, phone booted up and that was it. I had Best Buy price match the Google Play price for the phone, though I've read they won't always do that.

A side note: they don't include a SIM tool in the box, so make sure you've got a tack or a pin on hand.

That's awesome. I'll try and see if I can grab that deal. Thanks for the info!

tomei

A couple questions:

I use Haxsync for high quality contact photos from Facebook that sync with my Google contacts. Works great don't think there is a free version only paid.

Rootbeer

Banned
anyone ever had this problem?

when i have more than 1 app that needs updating in the play store, if I push 'update all' it will only update the first app, then the store closes. i have to re-open play store and update them all individually :( it wasn't like this before... happened after a recent update, not sure if it was 4.4.1/4.4.2 or the recent play store update, or a combination.

Any tips on fixing this?

i'm on 4.4.2 w/ play store 4.5.10

i'm thinking about trying a factory restore, having too many problems lately and not sure why. lots of apps crashing too

Hey, anyone have any advice about screen repair without insurance?

My dad just knocked the phone face down onto the ground about two feet up.

There is a thin crack along the front and a small nick which is the only thing visible during use. Phone still works but I'm worried if I leave it it could get worse.

I saw some thread that stated screen repair, I guess through LG, is £240 because it's new.

Another one that just said sell it on EBay and buy a new one.

I bought from carphone warehouse, on contract on 14/11/13 and cancelled the insurance on 24/11/13 within the 14 days cool off period.

any advice appreciated.

Top Bottom