• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Hmm has anyone tried cleaning their screen?

I dapped some water on a cloth and wiped it and now my earpiece volume is super low even at maximum settings...

PS_GUY

Sort of off-topic, but I updated my Nexus 7, not knowing what the repercussions would be. I just found out that I can no longer stream movies using Firefox anymore. :( Anyone have a solution?

keezy

Just picked up my Nexus 5 last night. I love this phone. I always said I'd stick with Android phones but for some reason I picked up an iPhone last winter and have regretted that since. This is definitely making up for that.

Funny thing was when I walked into ATT to get a SIM card they were trying to use scare tactics on my while activating that chip. Basically told me it wasn't going to work and that a lot of people have been coming in activating Nexus 5's and not having them work. I just laughed at that, turned on my phone, updated it to the latest firmware, told them it works fine and left.

scently

Please is there a way or a mod that allows you to lock the phone to a network mode. 3G service is not very strong where I stay so the phone keeps switching to EDGE. So is there a way, mod or an app that can help you select only 3g/wcdma network mode only? Any help will be appreciated.

yyzjohn

Banned
Just picked up my Nexus 5 last night. I love this phone. I always said I'd stick with Android phones but for some reason I picked up an iPhone last winter and have regretted that since. This is definitely making up for that.

Funny thing was when I walked into ATT to get a SIM card they were trying to use scare tactics on my while activating that chip. Basically told me it wasn't going to work and that a lot of people have been coming in activating Nexus 5's and not having them work. I just laughed at that, turned on my phone, updated it to the latest firmware, told them it works fine and left.

Slap that bad boy into ART runtime mode and enjoy the extra smoothness.

So, my 3gs finally died (had a crazy amount of rain last night and she got soaked)... I'm pretty much set on a white Nexus 5.

I'm new to this thread so apologies if this has been asked before but, can I get away with a 16gb model or is 32gb a must?
I'm just a standard user really, take some photos, listen to some music, play some apps yada yada.
Thanks chaps.

Ensirius

So, my 3gs finally died (had a crazy amount of rain last night and she got soaked)... I'm pretty much set on a white Nexus 5.

I'm new to this thread so apologies if this has been asked before but, can I get away with a 16gb model or is 32gb a must?
I'm just a standard user really, take some photos, listen to some music, play some apps yada yada.
Thanks chaps.
I'm just on the same using habits and my S3 served me well with 16 gb storage no problem.

JordanKZ

Thanks chaps.

I have a 16GB model:
I have at least 2000 songs synced from Play Music,
Currently 400MB of photos/videos
58 apps (no games)
and I have 6GB free.

yyzjohn

Banned
Are there some problems left or is it safe to use ART now ?
Does the battery improve when using ART ?

Yes the battery improves under ART. I've been using ART since day 1, never had an issue except for Whatsapp. When I heard Whatsapp was supported if you installed Dalvik first, I flashed my phone back to stock, installed Whatsapp and then went to ART. Never had an issue with day to day use. ART rocks.

yyzjohn

Banned
It can't be 320kbps. I have about 2200 songs, all 320kbps, and that's like 20 gigs.

EDIT: He says synced with Google Music. So he's probably streaming them?

Probably streaming. Google play music lets you upload 20,000 songs that you ripped yourself and plays back at 320, it's a hell of a lot of storage for free.

abracadaver

Yes the battery improves under ART. I've been using ART since day 1, never had an issue except for Whatsapp. When I heard Whatsapp was supported if you installed Dalvik first, I flashed my phone back to stock, installed Whatsapp and then went to ART. Never had an issue with day to day use. ART rocks.

Do you have to flash back to stock to use ART ? I thought you just turn it on and thats it

yyzjohn

Banned
Do you have to flash back to stock to use ART ? I thought you just turn it on and thats it

No you just turn it on. I only flashed back to stock because I wanted to install Whatsapp normally and then go to ART.

Edit: it'll reboot your phone and take like 10-15 minutes to compile all your apps depending on how many you have installed the first time you go to ART.

yyzjohn

Banned
Whats the advantage of doing that ?

No advantage. Here's the deal, originally Whatsapp didn't work at all under ART. I had already switched to ART when I first got the Nexus 5. Then I heard that Whatsapp worked under ART, provided you already had the app installed first with Dalvik. Since I didn't have it installed, I flashed back to stock, installed Whatsapp and then switched on ART. If you already have Whatsapp installed currently you're fine, just turn on ART and you're good to go.

ShaneB

Think I'm finally going to join the smartphone party and looks like I'm set on getting this. Great entry price, and seems like plenty of positive recommendations I see here on GAF.

Cromat

Do you guys use screen protectors?
I use a case with a front cover so I figured I wouldn't need one but I hate scratches.

gogogow

It can't be 320kbps. I have about 2200 songs, all 320kbps, and that's like 20 gigs.

EDIT: He says synced with Google Music. So he's probably streaming them?

Yeah, just what I thought. If you are streaming music it doesn't matter how much storage you have. Not everyone likes to stream music. I wish Google would release a 64gb version, if they have no intention of adding a microsd slot. I like to buy a Google phone, but 16 or 32gb is just not enough for me.

Hi, noob question here. My first and only smartphone so far is an iPhone 4. I want to get a Nexus 5.

I have a bunch of mp3 music on my iPhone, and most of it was lost from my laptop when that got stolen. Is there an easy way to move all my music from the iphone over to the Nexus, or am I going to have to start all over?

Hi, noob question here. My first and only smartphone so far is an iPhone 4. I want to get a Nexus 5.

I have a bunch of mp3 music on my iPhone, and most of it was lost from my laptop when that got stolen. Is there an easy way to move all my music from the iphone over to the Nexus, or am I going to have to start all over?

you will need a computer and one of those PC apps that pulls media files off the iPhone, but yeah with the Nexus, you can just drag and drop the files after. the biggest issues will be that the filenames will be the random gibberish that iTunes renames them to when it organizes them on an iDevice and of course, worries about the ID3 tags not matching up to the tags in the iTunes database... there are also apps that will rename files based on the ID3 tags.

you will need a computer and one of those PC apps that pulls media files off the iPhone, but yeah with the Nexus, you can just drag and drop the files after. the biggest issues will be that the filenames will be the random gibberish that iTunes renames them to when it organizes them on an iDevice and of course, worries about the ID3 tags not matching up to the tags in the iTunes database... there are also apps that will rename files based on the ID3 tags.

I didn't know there were apps that did that (pull media files). Any chance you could recommend one? Either way, thanks for the advice.

I didn't know there were apps that did that (pull media files). Any chance you could recommend one? Either way, thanks for the advice.

there's probably a better thread to ask about that, the last time i did that for someone was a few years ago and i don't remember the name of the free app i used (other than 'i' being the first letter in the name) but there were several paid options that showed up in search results before i found it.

yyzjohn

Banned
Hangouts notifications as SMS App never happen, and it only pulses once ultra fast on other notifications no matter what settings I use.

I've got SMS and MMS notifications set up in Light Flow as well as "Hangouts - all notification types". Flashes a steady green for me on any message, whether SMS or regular hangouts message.

I don't have "direct mode" checked and notification method for me on battery is "Cycle all - slow"

Edit: Oh you JUST got it? Try rebooting / checking/un-checking the Lightflow "Enable Light Flow" and see if that helps.

There's also another app that's free called "Light Manager" that I've heard people use. I didn't bother with it since LightFlow does the job for me, but others really like it.

L034

I've got SMS and MMS notifications set up in Light Flow as well as "Hangouts - all notification types". Flashes a steady green for me on any message, whether SMS or regular hangouts message.

That sort of fixed it

Edit: Oh you JUST got it? Try rebooting / checking/un-checking the Lightflow "Enable Light Flow" and see if that helps.

But I'll be trying this as it still seems to only light up half the time

Anyone having problems since 4.4.2 figuring out what makes things happen on the phone?

For example, today the phone completely slowed down to the point where it was reloading apps when i swapped between them in multitask and reloaded the launcher everytime i hit the home button - i was really disheartened as this is what annoyed me so much about my previous phone. Even closing all apps still didnt alleviate anything, i had to power the phone off to reset, which i had to do every two days with my last phone.

also the battery is really hard to pin down, some days it'll last the whole day and the next it will drain extremely quickly, i read this in reviews so im not shocked but its still an annoyance and thought 4.4.2 was supposed to improve it

its just very hard to use because i'm finding it hard to rely on steadily, otherwise its a great phone but the RAM problems with the apps today just worried me i dont mind the battery

edit; also, anyone experiencing the phone overheating, i had a few usual apps, gmail/keep/firefox/facebook on and the phone got incredibly hot over a short period

this is since 4.4.2 as well as before then i dont think i'd experienced the phone even being warm outside of games like real racing

yyzjohn

Banned
Anyone having problems since 4.4.2 figuring out what makes things happen on the phone?

For example, today the phone completely slowed down to the point where it was reloading apps when i swapped between them in multitask and reloaded the launcher everytime i hit the home button - i was really disheartened as this is what annoyed me so much about my previous phone. Even closing all apps still didnt alleviate anything, i had to power the phone off to reset, which i had to do every two days with my last phone.

This does not sound normal at all. I've never seen my Nexus 5 "slow down" like you're describing. I'm running on ART, but still even with Dalvik you shouldn't see that sort of behavior. This phone has the fastest chip and 2GB of RAM so speed shouldn't be a concern.

Kwhit10

Did any one else's 'ok Google' vice activation stop working?

Also I can no longer go to vibrate and subsequently to silent by holding the volume down button.

Was this stuff changed?

Dommo

Also I can no longer go to vibrate and subsequently to silent by holding the volume down button.

Was this stuff changed?

Every now and then my 'Ok Google' voice stops. I restart the phone and everything's back to normal. I just tried my volume buttons. If I hold the down button, it gets to vibrate and then stops. I then have to let go and press back down to get to Silent. Not sure what it was like before the update. Hope this helps.

Was this stuff changed?

"OK Google" stopped working for me when I changed the system's voice language away from "English - US." If you're a Brit or a Canadian and switched it that could be the problem.

ShaneB

Been playing around with it since getting one last night, my first smartphone, so definitely a bit overwhelming no doubt, but what a slick piece of hardware! Really love it so far.

also the battery is really hard to pin down, some days it'll last the whole day and the next it will drain extremely quickly, i read this in reviews so im not shocked but its still an annoyance and thought 4.4.2 was supposed to improve it

its just very hard to use because i'm finding it hard to rely on steadily, otherwise its a great phone but the RAM problems with the apps today just worried me i dont mind the battery

edit; also, anyone experiencing the phone overheating, i had a few usual apps, gmail/keep/firefox/facebook on and the phone got incredibly hot over a short period

this is since 4.4.2 as well as before then i dont think i'd experienced the phone even being warm outside of games like real racing

I have absolutely zero of those problems. You might have gotten a lemon.

Ok. I need help! Haha

I just switched from the iPhone 5 to this beautiful phone. I need like a good ole Android FAQ or something because I'm lost and confused as fuuuuck!

DedValve

Banned
So I just got a nexus 5 but I think I might have to return it already.

This thing has been charging since 5pm (now 10) and it's only at 60%. Don't even know wtf is going on. And yes, everything is connected.

Edit: is there any easy way to set up a hotmail account and a corporate account powered by gmail? I have no idea what this pop3 stuff or anything that it's asking me when I go into settings, I just want to put the email address and password and have it create me a new email as easy as a windows phone does it.

Husker86

So I just got a nexus 5 but I think I might have to return it already.

This thing has been charging since 5pm (now 10) and it's only at 60%. Don't even know wtf is going on. And yes, everything is connected.

Edit: is there any easy way to set up a hotmail account and a corporate account powered by gmail? I have no idea what this pop3 stuff or anything that it's asking me when I go into settings, I just want to put the email address and password and have it create me a new email as easy as a windows phone does it.
Add account and just click IMAP for Yahoo. Enter your details and I assume it should automatically take care of the server information. Can you not just add another gmail account and put in your corporate gmail info?

As for ROM lunchtoast...stock with xposed framework and Gravity Box. I never do custom ROMs on Nexus phones.

DedValve

Banned
Add account and just click IMAP for Yahoo. Enter your details and I assume it should automatically take care of the server information. Can you not just add another gmail account and put in your corporate gmail info?

As for ROM lunchtoast...stock with xposed framework and Gravity Box. I never do custom ROMs on Nexus phones.

Except it's not a yahoo account its a company acct ran by gmail

Myname@company.com

None of the 3 options work (pop 3 or the other ones...)

I really need this for Google drive

I also need to add hotmail.

Top Bottom