• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

ARGH. I just got a Nexus 5, my first Android device, and am attempting to switch over my contacts.

This is a NIGHTMARE! I can't get anything to transfer over from the iPhone, no matter what tutorials I go to and what I try. Sim cards don't work. Syncing contacts with my gmail account seems to be a one-way affair (meaning, my gmail contacts showed up on my iphone contact list, but not vice versa).

I can't get Facebook to properly sync with my Nexus contacts at all. All it does is bring over the names and photos, but doesn't seem to bring over any actual contact info, even if it's listed on their Facebook profiles. I used UberSync to try this, btw.

Can anyone throw me a bone here? I am incredibly frustrated right now.

Husker86

Except it's not a yahoo account its a company acct ran by gmail

Myname@company.com

None of the 3 options work (pop 3 or the other ones...)

I really need this for Google drive

I also need to add hotmail.
Sorry, I meant hotmail instead of yahoo. No idea why IMAP isn't working, I'm sure there are plenty of answers on Google.

Your company gmail should be added like any other gmail. Go to add account, add gmail, type in full email address and password. If it says you need device policy or something then download the Device Policy app.

What exactly is happening when it's not working?

ARGH. I just got a Nexus 5, my first Android device, and am attempting to switch over my contacts.

This is a NIGHTMARE! I can't get anything to transfer over from the iPhone, no matter what tutorials I go to and what I try. Sim cards don't work. Syncing contacts with my gmail account seems to be a one-way affair (meaning, my gmail contacts showed up on my iphone contact list, but not vice versa).

I can't get Facebook to properly sync with my Nexus contacts at all. All it does is bring over the names and photos, but doesn't seem to bring over any actual contact info, even if it's listed on their Facebook profiles. I used UberSync to try this, btw.

Can anyone throw me a bone here? I am incredibly frustrated right now.

Guessing you've tried this? http://www.androidpit.com/transfer-contacts-calendar-events-iphone-to-android

Also, after you've finished all that; download HackSync from the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mots.haxsync

Guessing you've tried this? http://www.androidpit.com/transfer-contacts-calendar-events-iphone-to-android

Also, after you've finished all that; download HackSync from the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mots.haxsync

I tried the first link, and it only worked one way. My gmail contacts wound up on my iPhone, but my iPhone contacts did not show up on my gmail.

I'm about to check out HackSync now, thanks.

Edit: just installed HaxSync. I have no idea what it's supposed to do, but it's installed.

I tried the first link, and it only worked one way. My gmail contacts wound up on my iPhone, but my iPhone contacts did not show up on my gmail.

HaxSync is useless without your contacts on your phone; let's sort that out first.

Did you export your iPhone contacts?

Ignignort

Provided you have your contacts backed up to iCloud you can sync contacts quite easily with cardDAV.

Download this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.carddav.sync&hl=en

Create a new sync account on your phone, it's super straight forward.

Server: contacts.icloud.com
Username and password is you icloud login

HaxSync is useless without your contacts on your phone; let's sort that out first.

Did you export your iPhone contacts?

Provided you have your contacts backed up to iCloud you can sync contacts quite easily with cardDAV.

Download this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.carddav.sync&hl=en

Create a new sync account on your phone, it's super straight forward.

Server: contacts.icloud.com
Username and password is you icloud login

Um... I've never logged into iCloud so I don't know if there's anything on there, or how to access anything that may be on there.

As for exporting my iPhone contacts... I don't know where I would export them to, or how to do so.

I feel like such a noob :(

Edit: Oh! OHHH! I did it! I got my iPhone contacts onto my Nexus. Thanks guys! I'm all ears for other tips you may have, but the biggest frustration has been conquered for now!

Um... I've never logged into iCloud so I don't know if there's anything on there, or how to access anything that may be on there.

As for exporting my iPhone contacts... I don't know where I would export them to, or how to do so.

I feel like such a noob :(

Edit: Oh! OHHH! I did it! I got my iPhone contacts onto my Nexus. Thanks guys! I'm all ears for other tips you may have, but the biggest frustration has been conquered for now!

Just understand that the change over isn't easy, but you'll look back at this in 3-4 weeks time and have no idea how you ever survived without an Android device - the freedom is incredible.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just understand that the change over isn't easy, but you'll look back at this in 3-4 weeks time and have no idea how you ever survived without an Android device - the freedom is incredible.

Well, if you use Google for your contacts, email, calendar, etc. already, it's pretty damn easy.

EmiPrime

Well, if you use Google for your contacts, email, calendar, etc. already, it's pretty damn easy.

Even if you don't it's easy to switch. Just download the address book vCard from iCloud, import that into Gmail and point iCal to Google Calendar. Pocket Casts for podcasts, Play Music for music. Easiest phone transition I have ever had. :)

Symphonia

Banned
Importing contacts was easy. Log in to iCloud, save contacts as a vCard, log in to Google, import vCard, sign in to Google on your Nexus and sync contacts. Done in seconds.

Ephemeris

Even if you don't it's easy to switch. Just download the address book vCard from iCloud, import that into Gmail and point iCal to Google Calendar. Pocket Casts for podcasts, Play Music for music. Easiest phone transition I have ever had. :)

Importing contacts was easy. Log in to iCloud, save contacts as a vCard, log in to Google, import vCard, sign in to Google on your Nexus and sync contacts. Done in seconds.

Yeah, if I wasn't LTTP I'd recommend the above lol

Remyzero

Shit I didn't even know about that when I had to import contacts. I created my contacts manually but I only had a few anyways. Good thing to know now.

This.

Sky Chief

I was really worried about battery life but this phone has really impressed me. I have now been 28 hours 15 minutes off charger with 2 hours 56 minutes of screen time and the battery is still at 31%. Everything is stock except I am using ART. That is much better than any other smartphone that I have ever owned.

Google now interacts very poorly with Google Music. when I tell its to play a song, it pulls up the album that the song is on, but then it shuffles the album. is there a way to fix this?

zedge

Is this service avaible in Canada? I don't believe we have any kind of music store at all in Google Play up here. I really miss iTunes match.
There's a way to get it to work as far as uploading and streaming your music.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...-all-access-service-addition-walkthrough.html

I used this one from Engadget. Its just a one time thing.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/how-to-use-google-music-from-anywhere-yes-outside-of-the-unit/

Have it upload all my music now and just stream over wifi at work etc. Love it. Hope they actually release it here though so we can have all access and the store.

Symphonia

Banned

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...-all-access-service-addition-walkthrough.html

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/how-to-use-google-music-from-anywhere-yes-outside-of-the-unit/

Have it upload all my music now and just stream over wifi at work etc. Love it. Hope they actually release it here though so we can have all access and the store.
Does Google Music work in the same way as Spotify? Can I search for music, save it to a playlist then set it so I can listen to it offline? If so, I may consider paying £9.99 a month to replace Spotify.

zedge

Does Google Music work in the same way as Spotify? Can I search for music, save it to a playlist then set it so I can listen to it offline? If so, I may consider paying £9.99 a month to replace Spotify.

Not sure, no all access in Canada. I just use the cloud stuff to hold my music.

Symphonia

Banned
I stopped being lazy and did a Google search. Apparently it works exactly like Spotify. I've got a one-month trial then start paying £9.99 come January 20th, which is what I pay for Spotify Premium. I may as well streamline all my services and use Google Music instead of Spotify.

yyzjohn

Banned

Me too, I signed up over a year ago with a US IP, apparently they made it more difficult now and you need a credit card with a US address to initially sign up. Lucky I got in before that.

DedValve

Banned
So I was looking into completely changing the look of the OS on my new nexus. I'm not a big fan of the current stock look.

So I have no idea how to do this, any tips and recommendations? It'd be cool to stick with a look for a year then switch it up. I'm thinking for now maybe something like ios7, that looks nice.

mandiller

My wife's brand new Nexus 5 fell off a coffee table and smashed the glass on its screen. It's cracked right through from such a small fall. The screen and phone still work fine but the glass is cracked. What's the process of getting it repaired? Who can she contact and how much is it expected to cost?

It was bought from the Google Play store in Australia.

My wife's brand new Nexus 5 fell off a coffee table and smashed the glass on its screen. It's cracked right through from such a small fall. The screen and phone still work fine but the glass is cracked. What's the process of getting it repaired? Who can she contact and how much is it expected to cost?

It was bought from the Google Play store in Australia.

You in Australia? Go to one of the 'FoneZone' places in the middle of big Westfield supermarkets (or similar) - they'll do it for you on the spot - probably around $150.

So I was looking into completely changing the look of the OS on my new nexus. I'm not a big fan of the current stock look.

So I have no idea how to do this, any tips and recommendations? It'd be cool to stick with a look for a year then switch it up. I'm thinking for now maybe something like ios7, that looks nice.

Wish granted: Themer App

You in Australia? Go to one of the 'FoneZone' places in the middle of big Westfield supermarkets (or similar) - they'll do it for you on the spot - probably around $150.

the screen is incredibly delicate on this phone, unless I have a defective model, I dropped the phone from about a foot in height onto the glass and there was a hairline crack across, I was fine with this as it's my fault and it wasn't that bad but I was walking the other day and put the phone in my front jeans pocket, I took it out about an hour later and there are small fissures all over the screen, I cant believe it, I wasn't running or bashing in to anything, and it's destroyed this is too fragile, I'm going to go to one of the repair places but I don't see any point in getting it repaired if it is this easily broken, I'm on a two year contract so I can't get rid of the phone

DedValve

Banned

......fuck this is like finding out about tvtropes for the first time. There goes like 5 hours of my life trying to find the perfect theme. I want to thank you but at the same time I want to curse you. This is utterly amazing.

*hours later*

I think I've settled on the google now one. I'll figure out how to take screenshots later so I can show you all but I just know by tomorrow I'll be dissatisfied and will spend more hours looking at themes!

I have 2 questions, 1 involving themer, is it possible so that every new theme you have always keeps the same layout of "important" apps or so? For example every theme will obviously always have the phone, email and music icon on the home screen but is it possible to change it so like email, skype and chase app are the ones that show up regardless?

I know I can tinker with each app (to a ridiculous degree, holy shit this is awesome) but this would save a bit of time so I don't have to tinker.

A second is that on a windows phone everytime you press the volume button (no matter where you are on the phone) it always displays the music controls making it easy to pause or switch songs. The main music player also has a swipe to next song which makes it so easy to pay attention to something else (like drive) and just swipe rather than tap randomly at the phone hoping you hit the next button.

Are there any apps or something that do this?

So far I'm really liking this phone. Android is proving itself too goddamn awesome. I don't know how I survived without this swipetext thingy.

the screen is incredibly delicate on this phone, unless I have a defective model, I dropped the phone from about a foot in height onto the glass and there was a hairline crack across, I was fine with this as it's my fault and it wasn't that bad but I was walking the other day and put the phone in my front jeans pocket, I took it out about an hour later and there are small fissures all over the screen, I cant believe it, I wasn't running or bashing in to anything, and it's destroyed this is too fragile, I'm going to go to one of the repair places but I don't see any point in getting it repaired if it is this easily broken, I'm on a two year contract so I can't get rid of the phone

Case or no case?

......fuck this is like finding out about tvtropes for the first time. There goes like 5 hours of my life trying to find the perfect theme. I want to thank you but at the same time I want to curse you. This is utterly amazing.

*hours later*

I think I've settled on the google now one. I'll figure out how to take screenshots later so I can show you all but I just know by tomorrow I'll be dissatisfied and will spend more hours looking at themes!

I have 2 questions, 1 involving themer, is it possible so that every new theme you have always keeps the same layout of "important" apps or so? For example every theme will obviously always have the phone, email and music icon on the home screen but is it possible to change it so like email, skype and chase app are the ones that show up regardless?

I know I can tinker with each app (to a ridiculous degree, holy shit this is awesome) but this would save a bit of time so I don't have to tinker.

A second is that on a windows phone everytime you press the volume button (no matter where you are on the phone) it always displays the music controls making it easy to pause or switch songs. The main music player also has a swipe to next song which makes it so easy to pay attention to something else (like drive) and just swipe rather than tap randomly at the phone hoping you hit the next button.

Are there any apps or something that do this?

So far I'm really liking this phone. Android is proving itself too goddamn awesome. I don't know how I survived without this swipetext thingy.

Oh yeah; if you didn't expect to lose literally hours upon hours a day changing things that don't NEED to be changed just because of the creative hemisphere of your brain wants to, well, tough luck :p It gets worse and worse the more you find about about more customisations and automation applications etc. Wow, I love the Android ecosystem :)

Themer is awesome, but it's still new - beta even. Themer is a great place to start for ideas, but after you get some of the stuff down pat, you're going to want to do it all yourself. Themer is just a 'cheats' way to theme pretty much; but it's AWESOME to show your iPhone buddies what you can do without having to explain that you spent the last 3 weeks perfecting your theme :p

You can probably do what you wanted to do with your apps, just not easily at the moment I'm afraid - nut it out and you'll be a better person because of it.

Now, not too sure what you're after with the music app; but if you're still using stock, go slap yourself a few times and download PowerAMP from the PlayStore. Incredible widget as well (which I think you can customise the notifications menu, lockscreen and volume rocker when screen off.

Case or no case?

No case but does having a case make that much of a difference in a pocket or front a foot drop? if so which one is the best?, I just ordered one off eBay but I'd invest the money in a decent one if I meant this wasn't as easily caused

it's still insanely fragile I'm shocked no one reported it in reviews, I guess all phones are this fragile now but I can't help the feeling I've been duped, had it a month and a fall from a table had less impact than me walking - that can't be right

also a small piece of glass fell out and it's cut my hand, there's so much I like about this phone but the screen is causing such frustration, I wish I'd bought it outright, but since I'm on contract I feel stuck with it

No case but does having a case make that much of a difference in a pocket or front a foot drop? if so which one is the best?, I just ordered one off eBay but I'd invest the money in a decent one if I meant this wasn't as easily caused

it's still insanely fragile I'm shocked no one reported it in reviews, I guess all phones are this fragile now but I can't help the feeling I've been duped, had it a month and a fall from a table had less impact than me walking - that can't be right

also a small piece of glass fell out and it's cut my hand, there's so much I like about this phone but the screen is causing such frustration, I wish I'd bought it outright, but since I'm on contract I feel stuck with it

Yep, always use a case. My Nexus 5 has been sitting here for a month now because my case was lost in transit and another one has been delivered which is taking fucking ages. Won't touch the thing without a case. Once bitten, twice shy.

EDIT: This is what I bought: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7pD4X6fjI8 . Bought one for the Nexus 4 and it's brilliant.

mandiller

The places we've gone to all don't service Nexus 5 phones. They accept any iPhone or Galaxy phone though. Should I contact Google or LG to get a repair?

Cipherr

If I'm understanding this right, I'm not sure thats possible at the moment. When you change launchers you generally get your homescreen icon placements wiped. Its sort of annoying if you change alot having to reset everything. But I dont think there is a way around it.

Yep, always use a case. My Nexus 5 has been sitting here for a month now because my case was lost in transit and another one has been delivered which is taking fucking ages. Won't touch the thing without a case. Once bitten, twice shy.

EDIT: This is what I bought: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7pD4X6fjI8 . Bought one for the Nexus 4 and it's brilliant.

thanks for the help, guess I was just ill informed, I was going to get the first crack fixed at £170 buy decided to wait until the next one to see how fragile it was, turns out it was only a matter of days before it happened so now I'll just pay the £179, get some insurance and a case and hope for the best

are the cases on Google play any good? also apologies for spelling mistakes, since the recent cracks the keyboard it all over the place

Doopliss

I would guess that variations in temperature caused the already-cracked screen to shatter like you describe.

Is there anyway to delete a whole album in Play Music?

edit:

This engadget thing doesnt work ANYTHING like the site shows when you're on a PC and not a MAC, haha. Im so confused right now :(

Top Bottom