• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting a wireless charger for Christmas and am curious what the simplest and most convenient option is for wireless file transfers.

Ideally I'd like something I don't have to mess with on the phone, just access the phone from the PC and go. And maybe have a setting so it's only activated while the phone is on the charger so it doesn't drain the battery.

I kind of doubt anything that specific exists. And if the only options are things that require input on the phone (like FTP apps) I might as well just plug the thing in for transfers.

This google music thing is driving me nuts.

Ive tried using Tor and ProxyMate and havent had any luck at all. Ive been messing with it for hours now, im going crazy!

I just want to stream music to my phone! Why cant this service just come out in Canada! :'(

...also I still havent been able to find out how to delete a whole album in Play Music, doing 1 song at a time is fucking annoying.

ArchAngel

I have a problem with my Nexus 5. It's menu bar is black since today :(
Tried some launcher, tried original and reboots. Nothing :(

Anyone knows how to fix this?

3nVeVmx.jpg

thanks for the help, guess I was just ill informed, I was going to get the first crack fixed at £170 buy decided to wait until the next one to see how fragile it was, turns out it was only a matter of days before it happened so now I'll just pay the £179, get some insurance and a case and hope for the best

are the cases on Google play any good? also apologies for spelling mistakes, since the recent cracks the keyboard it all over the place

Nope; those cases suck balls. If you're not on the XDA forums yet, well... just do it; they have EVERY bit of information you could ever want on ANY Android device. Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/accessories

I'm getting a wireless charger for Christmas and am curious what the simplest and most convenient option is for wireless file transfers.

Ideally I'd like something I don't have to mess with on the phone, just access the phone from the PC and go. And maybe have a setting so it's only activated while the phone is on the charger so it doesn't drain the battery.

I kind of doubt anything that specific exists. And if the only options are things that require input on the phone (like FTP apps) I might as well just plug the thing in for transfers.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&feature=search_result

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/

This google music thing is driving me nuts.

Ive tried using Tor and ProxyMate and havent had any luck at all. Ive been messing with it for hours now, im going crazy!

I just want to stream music to my phone! Why cant this service just come out in Canada! :'(

...also I still havent been able to find out how to delete a whole album in Play Music, doing 1 song at a time is fucking annoying.

Google Music does suck a bit of dick. Get rid of Play Music (with the help from Titanium Backup); get PowerAMP; buy music then transfer it to your phone. Organise it yourself, don't let online storage fuck you around.

I have a problem with my Nexus 5. It's menu bar is black since today :(
Tried some launcher, tried original and reboots. Nothing :(

Anyone knows how to fix this?

3nVeVmx.jpg

Only the Google Experience Launcher (GEL) and the Nova Launchers work with the transparencies at the moment I think. Are you using either of them.

Seriously people. JOIN XDA FORUMS NOW.

Google Music does suck a bit of dick. Get rid of Play Music (with the help from Titanium Backup); get PowerAMP; buy music then transfer it to your phone. Organise it yourself, don't let online storage fuck you around.

I want something thats linked to the cloud though, its awesome being able to just have songs on your PC with the power of MAGIC pull them down to your phone when your sitting in your car!

MAGIC!

Husker86

I want something thats linked to the cloud though, its awesome being able to just have songs on your PC with the power of MAGIC pull them down to your phone when your sitting in your car!

MAGIC!

I haven't used it and it might not be nearly as good as Google Music (in supported countries), but does Amazon MP3 work in Canada? They have a cloud service too, and you can upload your own music there also.

Google needs to fix hotword detecting randomly stopping to work (mic icon is not filled white) and then after some time (minutes to hours) it will be "on" again.

All settings are set properly, Google now is always turned on, languages are set to US-English, google voice typing is enabled, offline speech recognition is enabled with US-English set.

Apart from that, loving this phone.

Timan

Developer
Is it worth switching from a HTC one (GE) to the nexus 5?

Also are the versions sold at sprint/tmobile branded in any way, or are they the same as what google sells?

Husker86

Is it worth switching from a HTC one (GE) to the nexus 5?

Also are the versions sold at sprint/tmobile branded in any way, or are they the same as what google sells?

I went from an S4 running GE ROM to a Nexus 5. The experience really isn't that much different. I just wanted to get back on the Nexus line and stay there. HTC One has nice build over the S4 and the feel in hand is mostly what I gained by switching so I'd say you'd gain less going from a One.

Now, if you could sell your one for what it would cost to get the Nexus 5 then I'd say go for it, unless you make use of the One's speakers a lot.

I'm not positive on the Sprint/Nexus 5 info.

ArchAngel

Only the Google Experience Launcher (GEL) and the Nova Launchers work with the transparencies at the moment I think. Are you using either of them.

As I wrote, I used several (Nova, Apex GEL). The notification bar still has transparency, but the navigation guttons don't :(

EDIT: HOOOOLY Sh**t. I'm so ... the wallpaper had the black background ... hahahaha :(

My battery life remains incredibly inconsistent.

There are days where I get through the day with 60% battery left, and days like today, where it's down to 15% with an hour left to go in the workday. And that's with very similar usage on both days.

I wish I could figure out what the deal is. There's no rhyme or reason to it - at least not from what I can figure.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My battery life remains incredibly inconsistent.

There are days where I get through the day with 60% battery left, and days like today, where it's down to 15% with an hour left to go in the workday. And that's with very similar usage on both days.

I wish I could figure out what the deal is. There's no rhyme or reason to it - at least not from what I can figure.

Same issue but I know the problem: Google Play Services. I just don't know why it decides to act up.

I went to Vegas this past weekend carrying this phone and yeah, the battery is ridiculously inconsistent. One day it lasted 7 hours with heavier use but moderate use net me about 12.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Anyone doing fine without a screen protector? I'm in need of a screen protector but I don't know if I should even bother.

You don't really need one. Only very hard things such as grains of sand will scratch these screens, so make sure you don't have that in your pockets. Normal items like keys and coins shouldn't make a dent (although I would personally give the phone a pocket of its own anyway). There's always the risk of dropping the phone face down onto asphalt or something of course, which would not be great for it, but for normal usage a screen protector is absolutely not necessary.

Blades64

Banned
You guys tried any custom Kernels?

Is this something that helps with the battery life? I just got my Nexus 5 a few weeks ago, and I'm completely new to Android. I love everything about this phone so far EXCEPT for the battery life.

I was just about to ask for help with this.

werks

Banned
No I hear really good things about the Franco kernel but I'm new to the Android world as well and frankly I have alot of catching up to do on the technical terms that are used in XDA to install kernels and such :(

Franco is a cakewalk to install if you pay for the app.

1. Root
2. Download app
3. Backup stock kernel
4. Download and flash latest kernel from the app

lunchtoast

Franco is a cakewalk to install if you pay for the app.

1. Root
2. Download app
3. Backup stock kernel
4. Download and flash latest kernel from the app

Comes with a lot of extra options to tweak stuff too including upping the vibration amps.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm using Franco. It's nice. Extends battery life.

Symphonia

Banned
You don't really need one. Only very hard things such as grains of sand will scratch these screens, so make sure you don't have that in your pockets. Normal items like keys and coins shouldn't make a dent (although I would personally give the phone a pocket of its own anyway). There's always the risk of dropping the phone face down onto asphalt or something of course, which would not be great for it, but for normal usage a screen protector is absolutely not necessary.

Wallet and keys in left pocket, Nexus in right by itself.

Phoenix

But it is more vulnerable there!

While that is true, in my 41 years of living its never been an issue. When I find myself in an area where I feel the threat is more realized I don't have my wallet at all - just an AMEX, and ID and a few dollars.

ShaneB

So um... I turned my phone off... and now it just won't turn back on. It was fully charged when I turned it off, now it just seems dead. It won't charge or anything as well. It just seems like a useless brick right now.

My first foray into smartphones and this is the result. wonderful.

BigFwoosh

So um... I turned my phone off... and now it just won't turn back on. It was fully charged when I turned it off, now it just seems dead. It won't charge or anything as well. It just seems like a useless brick right now.

My first foray into smartphones and this is the result. wonderful.
Same thing happened to me, though my phone turned off on its own. Ended up having to RMA it. Call Play Support and they'll walk you through some troubleshooting that might help, and if not they'll start the RMA process for you.

Suen

Guys. A close person to me from Japan recently bought a Nexus 5. She wanted to use some international keyboards and thus I suggested (while being totally clueless since I use an iphone) to download an android app which allows her to use the keyboards she want. She downloaded one of them and told me that android warns her that the OS (I think...) has the right to collect any data she writes through the app. Is this something to worry about? Or is this a standard warning/agreement all apps have on android? Yes I realize this is more of an android-related question than a Nexus 5 related question but I have no idea where to ask it.

ShaneB

Same thing happened to me, though my phone turned off on its own. Ended up having to RMA it. Call Play Support and they'll walk you through some troubleshooting that might help, and if not they'll start the RMA process for you.

Yeah =/ Not much I can do right now anyway since I am home for the holidays. If nothing works i'll be stuck with this brick until I can return the phone to my provider and go through that route since I've only had the phone less than a week.

Guys. A close person to me from Japan recently bought a Nexus 5. She wanted to use some international keyboards and thus I suggested (while being totally clueless since I use an iphone) to download an android app which allows her to use the keyboards she want. She downloaded one of them and told me that android warns her that the OS (I think...) has the right to collect any data she writes through the app. Is this something to worry about? Or is this a standard warning/agreement all apps have on android? Yes I realize this is more of an android-related question than a Nexus 5 related question but I have no idea where to ask it.

it's a standard warning for keyboards.

when you switch the keyboard to that 3rd party keyboard, it now 'sees' everything you type. some of them use this ability to help with getting the right 'next word' predictions based on analyzing your typing patterns (<3 SwiftKey) and a rogue keyboard app could theoretically log all of your important data.

Husker86

All keyboards that are downloaded trigger that warning. Just check the reviews and ratings and it'll be fine.

Suen

it's a standard warning for keyboards.

when you switch the keyboard to that 3rd party keyboard, it now 'sees' everything you type. some of them use this ability to help with getting the right 'next word' predictions based on analyzing your typing patterns (<3 SwiftKey) and a rogue keyboard app could theoretically log all of your important data.

All keyboards that are downloaded trigger that warning. Just check the reviews and ratings and it'll be fine.
Thanks guys, much appreciated help!

Top Bottom