• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Has anyone else noticed that Chrome has become a massive memory hog recently? Pages frequently re-draw when I alternate between them, and the home screen has to re-draw when I quit.

npa189

I've been really loving this thing, coming from nothing but iphones since the OG, and the nexus and android have been such a breath of fresh air. I bought the LG quickcover when google had that sale, and it is the best case I've ever owned. It seems cheap at first, but once its on the phone it feels like it was built in.

Aiii

So not worth it
So is there any way to improve gesture typing so that it selects swear words by default instead of an alternative first. For instance, when I gesture fuck, it will default to duck, regardless if I start on the f. If I gesture pissed, it will suggest poised. Or shit, which can become sit, shirt, or sir, but never shit, even when I pay special care to motion and pause on all the right letters.

At first I figured it just needed to adapt to my natural potty mouth, but it keeps doing it. Anyone know of a workaround to make gesture typing less SFW, I didn't turn on swear words in the settings for no reason.

My Nexus 5 is close to being delivered (on the truck). :)
(edit: nobody was home when they tried to deliver it. Tomorrow it is, then!)

So is there any way to improve gesture typing so that it selects swear words by default instead of an alternative first. For instance, when I gesture fuck, it will default to duck, regardless if I start on the f. If I gesture pissed, it will suggest poised. Or shit, which can become sit, shirt, or sir, but never shit, even when I pay special care to motion and pause on all the right letters.
At least with SwiftKey, if you long press on duck and poised, it asks if you want it to not suggest that word again.

Anyone have experience with the Google/LG warranty/repair policy? The CSR on the phone was very unhelpful.

Basically, I plugged my USB charger into the port and it got stuck. I ended up taking it out and now the port won't charge unless it's making contact with the USB charger at an angle.

Anyone have experience with the Google/LG warranty/repair policy? The CSR on the phone was very unhelpful.

Basically, I plugged my USB charger into the port and it got stuck. I ended up taking it out and now the port won't charge unless it's making contact with the USB charger at an angle.
Can you RMA it on the website?

Jado

Banned
Are you using ART? I had the same problem, and my camera app just show a black screen with a popup saying "Could not connect to camera". Word is switching back to dalvik fixes this.

Note: problems started when I installed WhatsApp FWIW, so maybe WhatsApp and ART still don't play nice.

I have neither of those apps. Problem hasn't popped up again and hoping it stays that way.

nick nacc

Banned
Looking to get this phone for about 100 dollars. So pumped. I just hope my blackberries get here in time to trade in to tmobile. THANK GOODNESS for t mobile lately. I will be paying $25 bucks a month as well. Life is good.

Chavelo

So, I went ahead and dropped my Nexus by accident. Now I got a single crack going from the top to the bottom. Nothing too bad, not noticeable at night or indoors, but it sucks taking out my phone and seeing it when it's turned off.

Sprint says that the deductible to repair would be 100 bucks. Is there anything cheap out there for replacements/repair or will that be the best way to get that fixed?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Something that updated recently absolutely murdered my battery life today, barely made it home (usually it only gets down to 45% or so, and I didn't use it any differently today.) Going to get to the bottom of this...

aznpxdd

That's weird, I think N5's camera is much better than N4's, especially in low light condition. N4's camera is pretty much garbage...

With that said, my N5 was pretty damn good with the battery life until the past week or so...power is draining quick from Android system (usually 30-40%) and I have no idea what changed? I've looked online and checked-off most things that could be the culprit and I'm still having problems. Very annoyed...since the battery was great initially...

zedge

That's weird, I think N5's camera is much better than N4's, especially in low light condition. N4's camera is pretty much garbage...

With that said, my N5 was pretty damn good with the battery life until the past week or so...power is draining quick from Android system (usually 30-40%) and I have no idea what changed? I've looked online and checked-off most things that could be the culprit and I'm still having problems. Very annoyed...since the battery was great initially...

Agree, the camera on the N5 is 'much' better than the N4. Especially video with the ois.

There is a camera/cpu bug that is causing battery drain, google has identified it and it will be fixed. I have had it happen twice.

http://www.androidcentral.com/googl...cpu-usage-bug-fix-coming-next-android-release

If you have skype this seems to trigger it.

hitsugi

The camera is definitely better than the N4 (which isn't saying much), but it still isn't on the same level as an iPhone 5 / 5s, S4, or Z1. The fact it takes shots at 1200+ ISO in good lighting (compared to the other mentioned phones which take the same shot with 100-200 ISO) says enough.

Jzero

are any of you guys not receiving some sms' through the hangout app? Some of the replies seem to get 'lost'. I even did a little experiment. Not sure if it's my Nexus 5 or Metro PCS. The service was superb before i switched phones.

I told her to count from one to ten

ikUKcptrAuglQ.png
iCG56daPKk0CU.png

There also seems to be sms duplication for some reason. I looked at her phone and she sent them correctly and in order.

FML

are any of you guys not receiving some sms' through the hangout app? Some of the replies seem to get 'lost'. I even did a little experiment. Not sure if it's my Nexus 5 or Metro PCS. The service was superb before i switched phones.

I told her to count from one to ten

There also seems to be sms duplication for some reason. I looked at her phone and she sent them correctly and in order.

FML

I've never had missing texts but I've had texts out of order when they send it as a big block. But I'm assuming that's the network and not the phone since pretty much every phone I've had seems to do that.

wario

i get duplicates and out-of-order texts all the time for group MMS texts. for gchat, some messages won't show up on my phone but will be in the chat log on the computer.

Jzero

Lord have mercy. The 8sms app is god like compared to Hangouts, wtf Google.

Oh by the way, the missing texts came in hours later. Better late than never i guess.

Now i need a better camera app.

nick nacc

Banned
I'm so saaaaad. So the only way I could afford this phone was with the blackberry trade in deal. I go into the store and I missed the promotion by 2 days. I called customer service twice and things were looking good since I switched to t mobile before it ended but alas, the manager couldn't (wouldn't?) do it. BS. I am going to keep bugging customer service till they do this for me. Any tips?

Only flaws I have with the Nexus 5 is the SMS issue through Hangouts--very sexy and intuitive but some messages just don't go though. Could be T-mobile or that I am texting iPhone users who haven't turned on SMS.

The camera power drain issue. There has been times where the camera has failed to open

gutshot

So what car dock is everyone using? There isn't an official Nexus 5 dock, right?

I want something that is sleek and sexy and most generic car docks are hideously ugly. I like the look and idea behind the Air Dock, but it doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere yet. Any other suggestions?

Is there a chance that google will put Nexus 5 on sale this year? Or I'm expecting to nothing? :lol
I would be surprised if they don't, simply because there would be a new version later in the year. Other Nexus devices have been discounted before their successor was announced IIRC.

Lexxism

I would be surprised if they don't, simply because there would be a new version later in the year. Other Nexus devices have been discounted before their successor was announced IIRC.

Sweet. Hopefully there will be discounts by December then.

Don't expect anything for another half year or so. New phone won't be here until around October.

That's fine. I'm planning to buy my new phone by December since that's when my contract will be over. Hoping for any good deal by December and won't have any issue with stocks.

nick nacc

Banned
Sweet. Hopefully there will be discounts by December then.

That's fine. I'm planning to buy my new phone by December since that's when my contract will be over. Hoping for any good deal by December and won't have any issue with stocks.

But will you have the strength to resist the new nexus model? What if it's got a badass camera, better battery and is a little more thin? At least I hope that's what the next one is like.

Just got the Nexus 5 recently. What's the deal with Google Play sapping my battery? It's showing up as 47% of my battery use and is keeping my phone awake the entire day.

Is there a setting or two I have to tweak to fix this?

Rootbeer

Banned
Come on Google... get on the ball with that Android update. Having to avoid and/or uninstall some of my fav camera apps thanks to that qcamera bug. Been putting up with it long enough, sheesh. I feel like if this were Apple they'd have released a fix by now. It's a pretty major bug.

jimbor

Banned
Uninstalled Google now and turned off location reporting. First for battery drain and the second because Google doesn't offer enough on exchange nowadays. I used to love the location dashboard and latitude but get neither nowadays.

snack

Anyone stream music on songza or 8tracks with their nexus 5 and notice it skipping tracks half way on data (3g/LTE)?

jambo

Soon to be Nexus 5 owner checking in.

Pretty impressed with Google so far. Ordered the phone from the Play Store on Wednesday night and then got an item shipped email 12 hours later on the Thursday. The tracking lists it as in transit, having left Hong Kong, so I might even see it as early as Monday.

Ordered a Ringke Slim Black case as well, thanks to DeathJr for helping with that.

One thing I wanted to check though; will the device come with 4.4.2 installed or will it be 4.4 and require an OTA update?

Also are there still any major apps that don't play nice with ART?

Which color did you order, white black or red? If it's red then possibly will have the latest update while black and white may require an OTA for the latest version.

A new update is expected very soon 4.4.3 to fix some battery drain and gps lock on issues.

I've been using ART since the last update and haven't had any apps crash so far.

jambo

Which color did you order, white black or red? If it's red then possibly will have the latest update while black and white may require an OTA for the latest version.

A new update is expected very soon 4.4.3 to fix some battery drain and gps lock on issues.

I've been using ART since the last update and haven't had any apps crash so far.

I went with black. Not a huge issue, but kind of annoying.

Good to hear that battery drain will be patched (fingers crossed), some of the posts in this thread had me worried.

Soon to be Nexus 5 owner checking in.

Pretty impressed with Google so far. Ordered the phone from the Play Store on Wednesday night and then got an item shipped email 12 hours later on the Thursday. The tracking lists it as in transit, having left Hong Kong, so I might even see it as early as Monday.
I ordered one on a Friday afternoon two or three weeks ago, and it arrived noon the next Monday. Hong Kong to Melbourne.

Nobody was home when the Monday delivery was attempted so I picked it up on Tuesday but that doesn't matter.

mturco

I went with black. Not a huge issue, but kind of annoying.

Good to hear that battery drain will be patched (fingers crossed), some of the posts in this thread had me worried.

I've found that it varies day to day and user to user. Yesterday I got home from work with 88% battery remaining and the screen on time was 1 hour. Not a ton of usage, but at that rate it would have gone for another 4+ hours of the screen being on.

Other times it'll drain quickly for no apparent reason though so it's kind of inconsistent. All in all though I would say the battery life is actually very good and not nearly as bad as every phone I've owned before it.

I'm very happy with the battery life, almost always come back home at night with 30% battery left.

On the days I'm at home, I have pushed screen time to 6+ hours multiple times.

Battery drain happened to me a total of 3 times - twice it was the camera daemon and once play services. If you spot the drain early, it's easy to fix with a reboot.

Getting a phone for my daughter and I am just curious if 16gb is good enough. She doesn't use that many apps or games mostly SnapChat, Facebook and browser.

Top Bottom