• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Anyone know of a way to boost the volume when playing music without headphones? I don't have a dock or wireless speaker of any sort and it would be great to actually hear the music.

typically, apps that boost the volume will also distort it since the handset was not designed to support volume output that loud thru the included speaker.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Received my brand new Nexus 5 about a week ago and found that the camera had a weird dark spot in all the pictures and videos. Seems like a dust particle got stuck under the lens during manufacturing. Called up Google and they're shipping me a new one.

I also picked up a Diztronic case. Highly highly recommended, great feel with little bulk.

DrSlek

Ach. I should not have had it delivered to my home address. I expected them to leave it on my doorstep, but instead tracking says delivery failed. Now I have to pick it up from the depot at the airport at 6PMish.

npa189

Just got mine tonight, after 7 years of iphones this is a huge breath of fresh air. It can just do so much more! It feels likea phone for people who actually know what they are doing. IPhones have been stagnant for so long. Goodbye ghost of Jobs.

Mortemis

Banned
Just got mine tonight, after 7 years of iphones this is a huge breath of fresh air. It can just do so much more! It feels likea phone for people who actually know what they are doing. IPhones have been stagnant for so long. Goodbye ghost of Jobs.

Coming from having an iphone for years as well, I definitely get you. There wasn't any real customization with iphones, but with androids you can change pretty much anything.

Widgets are awesome as well. Much better than having rows of boxes.

DrSlek

Just got my Nexus 5 on Friday.

So damn good! I had an iPhone 3GS for 2 years, and then a Lumia 800 for 2 years, and now the Nexus 5. The Nexus is easily the best phone experience I've ever had. Even the voice commands are actually useful outside of the pure novelty factor.

Likewise, my brother who has always had iPhones, got an Xperia Z1 recently and after using it for a couple of months think's the iPhone is like a kids toy in comparison.

potam

Banned
So I've had my Nexus 5 for a few days now, and I just noticed tonight it started dropping cell connections entirely, or dropping from LTE to 3g/HSPA+. I'm on T-Mobile, but I'm not sure if it's a network issue due to the fact that I get great speeds and everything when it's actually connected, and I've seen others complaining about it.

Anyone have any ideas?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I just joined the Nexus 5 Army today. Switched from a iPhone 5. I am just playing around with the settings right now and figuring out how things work. I am pretty bummed out at the lack of visual voicemail, I have read about the "Google Talk work around", but maybe I will just learn to live without it, or wait until the AT&T Visual Voicemail app starts working with the Nexus 5.

Spinluck

ok, so this phone shop at my local mall is doing a special.

the lady there (who was insanely cute btw) told me that my 16gb att S3 is worth $125 but i would get $150 if i trade it in towards a new phone (which in my case is the nexus 5).

should i jump on it, or shop around for a better deal? they were short on n5's. she said the moment they receive some they sell out almost immediately. i gave her my contact info and she said she'd notify me the moment they receive more.

Got the nexus 5! Upgraded from the Galaxy Nexus. Time to play around a bit. Gonna look thru the thread for good case suggestions and other tips.

Would love some input from GAF.

I'm basically down to choosing between two Android phones: the LG G2, and the Nexus 5. I'm trying to figure out which so I can get it tomorrow.

I currently have a Galaxy S3 that's about a year and a half old. It's fine, but the battery life is utter dogshit. I can go down half or mor ein battery during a regular commute just browsing the internet for about an hour or so, soemtimes with streaming audio or video thrown in. The number of times my phone has died on me while not using it much, just because of bad battery life or high drain, has been making me livid.

So, in a nutshell, that's why I'm eyeing the G2. It's battery life sounds, from anecdotal experience of a friend and reading online, to be really really good. Nice big bright screen, great specs. But the carrier bloatware and customized UI, meaning slow updates of Android at the mercy of LG or T-Mobile, seem like a giant pain in the ass, especially if I develop on it, which I intend to.

So the Nexus 5, with it's vanilla Android and updates and support, seems great. But I'm, obviously, very concerned about all the reports of bad or inconsistent battery life. The specs seems comparable enough for day to day use that it seems fine.

My dilemma comes down to battery life vs. openness/support/updates, and it's a tough call. I'd really appreciate any input you guys, as Nexus 5 owners, can give me.

jimbor

Banned
Would love some input from GAF.

I'm basically down to choosing between two Android phones: the LG G2, and the Nexus 5. I'm trying to figure out which so I can get it tomorrow.

I currently have a Galaxy S3 that's about a year and a half old. It's fine, but the battery life is utter dogshit. I can go down half or mor ein battery during a regular commute just browsing the internet for about an hour or so, soemtimes with streaming audio or video thrown in. The number of times my phone has died on me while not using it much, just because of bad battery life or high drain, has been making me livid.

So, in a nutshell, that's why I'm eyeing the G2. It's battery life sounds, from anecdotal experience of a friend and reading online, to be really really good. Nice big bright screen, great specs. But the carrier bloatware and customized UI, meaning slow updates of Android at the mercy of LG or T-Mobile, seem like a giant pain in the ass, especially if I develop on it, which I intend to.

So the Nexus 5, with it's vanilla Android and updates and support, seems great. But I'm, obviously, very concerned about all the reports of bad or inconsistent battery life. The specs seems comparable enough for day to day use that it seems fine.

My dilemma comes down to battery life vs. openness/support/updates, and it's a tough call. I'd really appreciate any input you guys, as Nexus 5 owners, can give me.

I came from a GS3 and I miss being able to carry an extra battery. I love vanilla Android, I love my N5 but the battery is pretty shite. One good thing about it is that it doesn't drain as much when not being used, compared to the S3.

Ark

I managed to stop Google Play Services from using up all of my battery at some point during the week and since then my battery life has been fantastic.

Anyone else in London have a N5 and had the 3G to 4G switchover and noticed battery issues?

I charge my battery to 100% before i got to sleep, last week, the first since moving to 4G and the battery is near 30% by the morning, to be clear i turn everything off WiFI included before i go to sleep but i was wondering if it still scans for signals etc

Not sure, its been kind of annoying, i might switch back to 3G for this week and see if there is a difference

jimbor

Banned
Anyone else in London have a N5 and had the 3G to 4G switchover and noticed battery issues?

I charge my battery to 100% before i got to sleep, last week, the first since moving to 4G and the battery is near 30% by the morning, to be clear i turn everything off WiFI included before i go to sleep but i was wondering if it still scans for signals etc

Not sure, its been kind of annoying, i might switch back to 3G for this week and see if there is a difference

I'm not on 4G yet. Wouldn't turning off wifi make it use the 4g signal instead?

Husker86

Do not turn WiFi off if a network is available. When connected to WiFi, battery usage is much lower than when using the cellular network for just maintaining a data connection.

That said, 30% is still extreme. What is your signal level in that situation?

sarcastor

Google won't ship a Nexus 5 32gb until February 28th. Or I can buy a slightly used Xperia Z1 for $400 right now.

water proofing, SD card, and better camera or vanilla android.....ugh decisions.

hitsugi

Google won't ship a Nexus 5 32gb until February 28th. Or I can buy a slightly used Xperia Z1 for $400 right now.

water proofing, SD card, and better camera or vanilla android.....ugh decisions.

Honestly, having owned the N5 since it's release, I would back the Z1.

asdad123

Just picked one of these up for $223 after tax and no contract (200 trade in credit for a nearly 4 year old verizon blackberry curve) Pretty excited to change from an iPhone.

That's because you turn off wifi when there's wifi around, go to settings > wifi > Advanced, and uncheck scanning always avalaible, it really drain battery.

SkyPush

Neo Member
Long time Iphone 4 user.

My main concern is the music transfer/organization and quality. Which method is the best for me to transfer my current music?

Also Is drag and drop the best option for transferring music? I have read about poweramp.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Long time Iphone 4 user.

My main concern is the music transfer/organization and quality. Which method is the best for me to transfer my current music?

Also Is drag and drop the best option for transferring music? I have read about poweramp.

Install the Google Music Uploader.

Husker86

Long time Iphone 4 user.

Just do everything through Google Music. You can "pin" songs so they stay on your device, other than that, everything is stored in the cloud. So much more convenient.

You can upload your iTunes library with Google Music Manager.

There's a way to get it to work. Google it. Don't have link handy. Takes about 5 min and only needs to be done once.

Have you done it recently though?

I tried doing it a month or so ago, and I couldnt get it to work. I read in a few places that they closed the loophole that made it work too.

Its possible im just stupid and didnt do it right though, haha.

That's because you turn off wifi when there's wifi around, go to settings > wifi > Advanced, and uncheck scanning always avalaible, it really drain battery.

Thanks for the replies. I've done what you suggested Sticky Fingers i'll report back with findings

the other day my battery died and i wasnt near a charger but since charging and turning it back on its been great again - eating a lot at night still, but hopefully your suggestions will help that part, but its been great throughout the day

Jado

Banned
Another one of those days where mm-qcamera-daemon and Google Services is ruining this device

My phone has been running hot this past week. Today, checked to see that mm-qcamera-daemon and Google Play Services have each killed 43% and 11% of my battery. This is the second time it happened (that I'm aware of). Anyone know the cause? A quick Internet search states the cause to be a camera-using process/permission that's preventing the Nexus from going into low-power mode. There seems to be no consensus on the culprit app.

Very annoying. Only fix is to reboot -- until it happens again.

zedge

Have you done it recently though?

I tried doing it a month or so ago, and I couldnt get it to work. I read in a few places that they closed the loophole that made it work too.

Its possible im just stupid and didnt do it right though, haha.
Oh, did it over a year ago. That sucks if so.

My phone has been running hot this past week. Today, checked to see that mm-qcamera-daemon and Google Play Services have each killed 43% and 11% of my battery. This is the second time it happened (that I'm aware of). Anyone know the cause? A quick Internet search states the cause to be a camera-using process/permission that's preventing the Nexus from going into low-power mode. There seems to be no consensus on the culprit app.

Mines doing this now too. I've found that Snapchat is generally the culprit for mm-qcamera-daemon so uninstall that for now. My battery life is still getting owned hard by Android System, Google Play services, and Mediaserver. After 30 minutes off of the charger, I'm down to 75% with only 4m23s on screen time. Right now it's on the charger and the battery is actually still going down.

This device is mad inconsistent, I'm planning to sell it.

2014-02-26143827-1.jpg

2014-02-26143827-2.jpg

Seriously, what the hell

zedge

Whats with all the icons? How many background apps you have running there? Damn.

Thats not normal battery life though thats for sure.

Kintaco

Anyone know how to get the traffic card back from Google Now? I've read a couple of forums becaus e they mention is change it in settings. I'm not seeing anything in the settings. Anyone got step by step instructions?

I am not having those battery issues with my N5, I am currently about to hit 20hrs at 52% remaining. That's with WiFi on all of the time, and a few hours of screen usage. It definitely goes up and down on occasion though.

Camera fucking sucks though :(

L034

Are you using ART? I had the same problem, and my camera app just show a black screen with a popup saying "Could not connect to camera". Word is switching back to dalvik fixes this.

Note: problems started when I installed WhatsApp FWIW, so maybe WhatsApp and ART still don't play nice.

Top Bottom