• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
A letter fell off the back of my white Nexus. Weak.

Vastly improved after the update, though iso levels are still on the higher side.

Wha? How the heck did that happen? The word NEXUS feels like it's engraved on the back, how can if fall off??

Thanks for all the help, battery issue is worrying though, especially for my daughter.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Told you you bought the wrong color.
As much as I love the new red, my replacement will still be white. Way classier than the black.

Wha? How the heck did that happen? The word NEXUS feels like it's engraved on the back, how can if fall off??
No idea. But there's a sticker in the engraving. I have no idea where mine went.

Omzz

so recently my phone has been heating up real fast on just a few minutes of browsing, and the battery has been draining quick...almost reaching S3 levels

i have no idea whats going on

so recently my phone has been heating up real fast on just a few minutes of browsing, and the battery has been draining quick...almost reaching S3 levels

i have no idea whats going on

You probably have a camera app that triggered a bug that makes the camera daemon run continuously. The only thing to do until Google fixes the bug is to power cycle the phone.

Omzz

You probably have a camera app that triggered a bug that makes the camera daemon run continuously. The only thing to do until Google fixes the bug is to power cycle the phone.

yep you are right. i think this happened when i downloaded a flashlight app. fuck

so nothing that can be done? will just have to power cycle? :(

mingus

Soon to be Nexus 5 owner checking in.

Pretty impressed with Google so far. Ordered the phone from the Play Store on Wednesday night and then got an item shipped email 12 hours later on the Thursday. The tracking lists it as in transit, having left Hong Kong, so I might even see it as early as Monday.

Ordered a Ringke Slim Black case as well, thanks to DeathJr for helping with that.

One thing I wanted to check though; will the device come with 4.4.2 installed or will it be 4.4 and require an OTA update?

Also are there still any major apps that don't play nice with ART?

My black n5 arrived last week and came with 4.4.2 installed.

Guys, is the travel adapter supposed to be really warm when charging? I don't want to somehow kill my phone or start an electrical fire so I've switched to using my older phone's adapter for now. Looked on both and it looks like the N5's adapter has a higher output (1200 vs 850 mA) so that just means the older adapter will charge more slowly, right?

Husker86

Guys, is the travel adapter supposed to be really warm when charging? I don't want to somehow kill my phone or start an electrical fire so I've switched to using my older phone's adapter for now. Looked on both and it looks like the N5's adapter has a higher output (1200 vs 850 mA) so that just means the older adapter will charge more slowly, right?

Correct.

The power brick does get pretty warm though. Unless it's at the point of too hot to touch, I wouldn't worry too much.

jambo

Nexus 5 came yesterday at lunch, amazing turn around time!

Loving it so far, the pure Android experience is a breath of fresh air after being stuck on TouchWiz for the past 18 months.

Just can't believe how smooth and fast everything is, especially app switching.

Battery has been pretty amazing so far, first proper test today and it's going way better than my Galaxy SIII ever could

xAZkGaU.png

1 hour of screen time in that so far.

jambo

Everything already loads insanely fast for me, including HD video, so I don't really mind.

Plus I only have 1.5GB a month so I mostly just browse GAF, Imgur and Facebook and then stream a bit of SoundCloud and MixCloud.

Correct.

The power brick does get pretty warm though. Unless it's at the point of too hot to touch, I wouldn't worry too much.
Ok, good to hear that it's somewhat normal. I may just stick with the weaker adapter since I tend to charge my phone while I sleep anyway so the speed difference is negligible to me.

Nexus 5 came yesterday at lunch, amazing turn around time!

Loving it so far, the pure Android experience is a breath of fresh air after being stuck on TouchWiz for the past 18 months.

Just can't believe how smooth and fast everything is, especially app switching.

Battery has been pretty amazing so far, first proper test today and it's going way better than my Galaxy SIII ever could

1 hour of screen time in that so far.

This is kind of stupid, but could you post your tracking info if you still have access to it? Ordered mine on Sunday afternoon and I'm really excited for it, want to get a rough idea when I'll receive it. I'm just outside Melbourne.

I want to get a mount for in my car, what do you guys recommend? I have the lg quick case on my phone, so it adds a little bulk too.

Do they have cases that also have wireless charging? That would be amazing.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I've got my N5 decked out in the 'Storm Trooper' edition Spigen Slim Armor with the 9H Nano Glass on top... so sexy it hurts my pocket sheath.

th3dude

so is the wireless charging worth it? It seems like a cool gift for someone who just got a N5.

The price of the official wireless charger seems absurd to me but the concept intrigues me as a gadget addict.

I ordered 3 similar charging pads from China for 12 bucks a piece. I'll be happy to post my impressions when they finally get here.

Husker86

so is the wireless charging worth it? It seems like a cool gift for someone who just got a N5.
Honestly, it's really nice. I paid around $35 for a third party one and am really happy with it.

Doesn't seem like much, but not having to plug in a cable is nice.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Coppy turned me onto one that was like $18 and it's awesome. Only annoying part is it beeps every time you drop the phone onto it, but sometimes it's sorta helpful.

Husker86

Coppy turned me onto one that was like $18 and it's awesome. Only annoying part is it beeps every time you drop the phone onto it, but sometimes it's sorta helpful.
It's a nice feature for when you reach over when laying in bed to charge your phone and want to know if it's positioned right!

GuessWho

Thanks I'll get her the official one since it's a gift. Don't want to look cheap lol. I have to say LG really nailed the design of phone. I absolutely love everything about this phone.

Cudder

the N5 is the first phone I've used where it doesn't get bogged down and slow down the OS after using it for months and months because of inflated app sizes due to data and caches. It's still just as fast as when I opened it on Day 1. <3

I'm really leaning towards getting this phone, but the battery life comments make me a little scared. That and the limited storage.

I've just moved to tmobile from sprint and I'll be moving up from a Galaxy S3. Would you guys recommend I get a Moto G to hold me over until the end of the year and then upgrade to whatever affordable device comes next from Motorola or Google, or just get a Nexus 5 and be content with that for two years? I definitely won't be able to upgrade for another couple years if I get a Nexus 5 now.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Damn, I had to tame the beast. I bought a bright red 32GB to replace my black 32GB that my dog smashed... and dear god, the pictures don't do justice to just how bright that red is. Super bright neon red. It was making my eyes bug out haha! I like the colour, but it was so in your face, I had to take it down a notch.

So I skinned it, put on a cheap ebay clear-red bumper case and it is sexy! Black carbon fiber skin with the red NEXUS lettering/borders. Yummy.

Jzero

Damn, I had to tame the beast. I bought a bright red 32GB to replace my black 32GB that my dog smashed... and dear god, the pictures don't do justice to just how bright that red is. Super bright neon red. It was making my eyes bug out haha! I like the colour, but it was so in your face, I had to take it down a notch.

So I skinned it, put on a cheap ebay clear-red bumper case and it is sexy! Black carbon fiber skin with the red NEXUS lettering/borders. Yummy.

It's not even red, it's orange. I was like "fuck..." when i first opened mine.

Tenacious-V

It's not even red, it's orange. I was like "fuck..." when i first opened mine.

Yeah no kidding, that was my reaction when I opened it as well.

I wouldn't say it's orange, but it's definitely got some orange in it. It's like a psychadelic, neon, orange-red.

Foob

I'm gonna be switching from an iPhone 5 to this phone over the weekend, and I'm kinda overwhelmed with the transition..

My wife had one of the old droid phones 3-4 years ago, and I know back then some sort of security/anti-virus(?) type app was recommended - is that still the case?

I've also seen a lot of people recommend an app called greenify to help manage the battery; does anyone have any experience with that?

And any other tips or recommendations would be appreciated!

I'm gonna be switching from an iPhone 5 to this phone over the weekend, and I'm kinda overwhelmed with the transition..

My wife had one of the old droid phones 3-4 years ago, and I know back then some sort of security/anti-virus(?) type app was recommended - is that still the case?

I've also seen a lot of people recommend an app called greenify to help manage the battery; does anyone have any experience with that?

No antivirus is needed. And Greenify is nice, but you need to be rooted to take full advantage of it. Once you get the fun just play around with it and get the hang of it, and check out the apps thread.

Bboy AJ

Just use the phone first instead of trying to immediately muck around with it.

Tenacious-V

So apparently the Blackberry Z30 is currently winning the final round vs the Nexus 5 at TechnoBuffalo's Reader's Choice - Best Smartphone! Haha. (Jesus, the discussions sound like Crackberry flooding).

People are saying BlackBerry tweeted to get support to win! Billions well spent BB! 4th place worldwide but a possible TB win!

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/03/22/readers-choice-best-smartphone-blackberry-z30-vs-lg-nexus-5-mobile-madness/#comments

thanks! voted for the Z30. the Nexus 5 beating the G2 is a joke.

Tenacious-V

thanks! voted for the Z30. the Nexus 5 beating the G2 is a joke.

For built in hardware, I don't disagree with you. G2 has the better camera and bigger battery. In terms of phone aesthetics I'll take the Nexus 5. And for software experience, I'll take the Nexus 5 and Google's vanilla Android over LG's monstrosity any day.

So I guess I agree with the Nexus 5 beating the G2.

Ty4on

The G2 outclasses the N5 in just about every way possible. People are capable of obtaining KitKat with about a billion different roms.

Or just using Jellybean. What is so great about KitKat that it outweighs all of the G2's benefits vs the Nexus 5 anyway?

The simple fact it is much better supported. The software is crucial in a smartphone and one area where Android struggles.

I honestly don't see what makes the G2 so much better. The camera is a wash with the same sensor size and OIS apart from LG's software which ironically is much better. Battery we all know is 30% larger, but other than that the Nexus 5 is smaller and much cheaper with the same specs apart from the battery and some minor differences.

Top Bottom