• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

JosiahB

I just got a package today from UPS, after it being delayed in Nashville for a few days. It was supposed to contain my brand new Nexus 5. All I got was the package. Someone at UPS stole the phone, charger, and English paperwork. So, after calling Google, they will set up an investigation, but if I want a replacement soon, I'll have to pay for it now (the refund will come later). Of course, I don't have the money now, I'll have to wait for my paycheck on Thursday. At least the guy I talked to said that they would pay for shipping... Either way, I'm really bummed right now.

snack

I just got a package today from UPS, after it being delayed in Nashville for a few days. It was supposed to contain my brand new Nexus 5. All I got was the package. Someone at UPS stole the phone, charger, and English paperwork. So, after calling Google, they will set up an investigation, but if I want a replacement soon, I'll have to pay for it now (the refund will come later). Of course, I don't have the money now, I'll have to wait for my paycheck on Thursday. At least the guy I talked to said that they would pay for shipping... Either way, I'm really bummed right now.
Damn that sucks. Can you file a report against the UPS?

JosiahB

Damn that sucks. Can you file a report against the UPS?

I don't think I need to... I called Google immediately after opening the package. After talking to the returns department, they said they would open an investigation with the shipper. I was sent an email requiring consent for Google to remotely disable the phone that was sent. It said that once they determine that the phone was lost/stolen they will disable it permanently. After they can confirm that the phone was permanently disabled, they will process the refund. The man I spoke to on the phone said that the process can take on average of 7 business days.

ShaneB

=(

teiresias

Ugh, mine just shipped today. Hopefully my UPS people aren't as sketchy!

JosiahB

Ugh, mine just shipped today. Hopefully my UPS people aren't as sketchy!

I kind of doubt it was the delivery man... It was delayed in Nashville for a day because of weather (which, since it happened near the weekend, resulted in me getting the packed about three days late). My assumption would be that it happened then.

The ironic thing is that when doing research on Google Play's shipping options before ordering, I came across this forums post. Basically the guy had the exact same thing happen to him. It was the first thing that came to mind when I opened the empty box.

At least they'll pay for shipping when I am able to reorder... He said I could chose next day shipping...

ramparter

Banned
I don't think I need to... I called Google immediately after opening the package. After talking to the returns department, they said they would open an investigation with the shipper. I was sent an email requiring consent for Google to remotely disable the phone that was sent. It said that once they determine that the phone was lost/stolen they will disable it permanently. After they can confirm that the phone was permanently disabled, they will process the refund. The man I spoke to on the phone said that the process can take on average of 7 business days.

I really hope whoever took it will be found and lose his job.

npa189

I've done it, after 7 years of iPhone I am dumping iOS. My black 32gb should get here next week. Where do I start with android? I've never even used one but I don't think it will be that hard to get used to. Recommended apps? case? no case? I've put all my contacts into Gmail, and I am uploading my iTunes into Google music and I use spotify as well. Am I forgetting anything?

Symphonia

Banned
Nexus 5 was my first foray into Android territory and, honestly, it's been so much easier than iOS. The UI looks nicer, there are tons more customisation options, the apps are pretty much limitless and the system feels more responsive than iOS ever did. In terms of case vs no case, I've had my phone for two and a half months now and I still have no case. I suppose it depends entirely on what kind of person you are in regards to how you treat your personal property. As for syncing of contacts, etc you've done it right. Import to GMail, then when you get the phone, sign in and then choose to sync and the vCard will be imported to your phone. So much easier than iOS.

npa189

Nexus 5 was my first foray into Android territory and, honestly, it's been so much easier than iOS. The UI looks nicer, there are tons more customisation options, the apps are pretty much limitless and the system feels more responsive than iOS ever did. In terms of case vs no case, I've had my phone for two and a half months now and I still have no case. I suppose it depends entirely on what kind of person you are in regards to how you treat your personal property. As for syncing of contacts, etc you've done it right. Import to GMail, then when you get the phone, sign in and then choose to sync and the vCard will be imported to your phone. So much easier than iOS.

Thanks for the reply, I'm usually extremely careful with my things. The Apple rep at best buy was blown away by the "factory condition" my ipad was in when I traded it in. I think I won't get a case for awhile, the google ones aren't doing much for me, and the 3rd party options seem slim. I just got the tracking number, now I just need my sim adapter and the phone.

I've done it, after 7 years of iPhone I am dumping iOS. My black 32gb should get here next week. Where do I start with android? I've never even used one but I don't think it will be that hard to get used to. Recommended apps? case? no case? I've put all my contacts into Gmail, and I am uploading my iTunes into Google music and I use spotify as well. Am I forgetting anything?

I will say on the case department, I REALLY love this LG Quick Cover. I set my phone to not have a lock screen, and now I can just flip open the cover and my phone is on and ready to go. Its also super slim too, it doesnt add much bulk at all. The down side is its 50 bucks, haha. Im sure there are good alternatives, but I already bought this and love it so I havent bothered looking into it anymore.

I would also recommend using Nova launcher, and getting a nice Icon Theme. The default ones are fine, but I really enjoyed changing the look of everything after suffering with iPhones lack of customization. haha.

I hope you enjoy the switch as much as I am.
I do miss all the game though, but thats what my iPad is for I guess. heh

Gannd

Banned
I just switched back to Android after a month long (or so) incursion into Windows Phone and before that a month long incursion back into iOS. I just cannot deal with how slow and painful it is to use iOS and the app situation for Windows Phone is so bad that I don't really want to do deal with that. I wish Google could sort out the camera situation with their platforms but hopefully that comes. I ordered the Red Nexus 5, so sexy!

I seem to have fixed the problem now, not sure what exactly did it though. I first cleared the app data, no good. Then I uninstalled google goggles, still nothing. Then I rebooted, and now it's working. Now that it's working again I tried reinstalling and using google goggles, since I think that's when the camera stopped working, to try and recreate the bug. No problems yet, so hopefully it was just a one-off problem.

I had this problem once when I first got it at launch and after rebooting it was fine and never had issues again since then. Hopefully it was just a weird one time issue for you too.

Mortemis

Banned
Well, I've had my N5 for about a week now, so it's impressions time. The verdict is... I love it. I have been a long time iphone user and never had an android, so this was a huge switch for me. Honestly, I'm enjoying android just as much, if not more now that I'm getting used to it. There wasn't any learning curve, and I found android equivalents to all my apps on my iphone. The only thing I miss is the email client for iphone, gmail is cool but it was much nicer having a unified inbox, any recommendations for a good email app? Anyways, the form factor of the phone is nice, I'm still trying to get used to the size of it (I went from the 3.5 in iphone 4 to this 5 in screen). I gotta say though, the screen size is definitely nice, and I see why everyone is going for bigger screens. The phone is pretty fast too, and I tried out ART and shortened the animation speeds and this thing is now lightning.

I was kinda regretting leaving the iphone and not going for the 5S at first, but I'm happy I didn't. What this phone gives you at it's price is just unmatched anywhere else. Thanks for the rec gaf!

Doopliss

Do any of you guys run any custom ROMs? If so, which ones?
I use Cyanogenmod. I had it on my Galaxy S2 and HP Touchpad as well and there are quite a few features I've got used to that make the stock experience feel limited. Such as:

- Quick toggles on the main notifications screen, customised to include rotation lock and LED torch.
- Brightness adjustment by swiping or long pressing the status bar.
- Ability to enable immersive mode in any app.
- Controlling media volume by default instead of ringer/notifications.
- Disabling the headphone volume warning.
- Moving the text cursor left and right with the volume keys while the keyboard is showing.
- Switching to previous/next music track by long pressing the volume keys while the screen is off.
- Preventing the screen turning on when connecting/disconnecting the charger; instead having the phone vibrate briefly.
- Automatically disabling the lockscreen while connected to certain wifi networks.
- More secure pattern lockscreen with larger grid of invisible dots.

JaseMath

I'm currently running Cataclysm, which I love, but it seems the dev may have abandoned the project, so I'm looking for something stable. I love CM, but CM11 doesn't seem stable enough as a daily driver just yet, so I'm looking for something else. Is DroindKang stable?

cjkeats

I've been on Cyanogenmod for a few weeks. I like the lock screen shortcuts and the having hotspot in the quick tools thing in the notification tray, as I'm always turning it on and off at work.
These are things it should do by default.

lunchtoast

I'm currently running Cataclysm, which I love, but it seems the dev may have abandoned the project, so I'm looking for something stable. I love CM, but CM11 doesn't seem stable enough as a daily driver just yet, so I'm looking for something else. Is DroindKang stable?

Yes no issues since I started using it last year

teiresias

Just got my N5 yesterday. Really like the build quality and my screen seems fine with no dead pixels or anything. I'm coming from a Galaxy S3, and the only "downside" I suppose in going to the N5 is between the S3 and the Vita I've become so used to OLED screens that I can definitely feel the "washed out" thing with the N5 screen, but it's not something I won't get used to once I stop using the S3 every day.

One reason I went with the N5 was to go pure Google and hopefully stop messing with custom ROMs which always seem to have their weird quirks - mostly with bluetooth which gets annoying since I spend so much time in my car and need bluetooth to be completely pain free. I ended up liking SlimROM on the S3 though, seemed a bit more stable than CM lately.

However, I think I'll at least root the phone if only to be able to adjust the lcd density because the icons on the Google Experience Launcher just seem gigantic!! Would I be able to change that in the Google launcher once I'm rooted, or would I still need to use another launcher (I've tended to use Apex Launcher on my other phones). I'm getting so used to having voice search available easily that losing it to go to another launcher would be sad, but not undoable, but if I'm able to adjust the icon size/screen density on GEL that would be great.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Got a Nexus 10 for the wife. Super crisp screen and fast OS.

Is there a better place to post this? I couldn't find a Nexus 10 thread ><

Symphonia

Banned
Anyone know of a way to boost the volume when playing music without headphones? I don't have a dock or wireless speaker of any sort and it would be great to actually hear the music.

Just got my N5 yesterday. Really like the build quality and my screen seems fine with no dead pixels or anything. I'm coming from a Galaxy S3, and the only "downside" I suppose in going to the N5 is between the S3 and the Vita I've become so used to OLED screens that I can definitely feel the "washed out" thing with the N5 screen, but it's not something I won't get used to once I stop using the S3 every day.

One reason I went with the N5 was to go pure Google and hopefully stop messing with custom ROMs which always seem to have their weird quirks - mostly with bluetooth which gets annoying since I spend so much time in my car and need bluetooth to be completely pain free. I ended up liking SlimROM on the S3 though, seemed a bit more stable than CM lately.

However, I think I'll at least root the phone if only to be able to adjust the lcd density because the icons on the Google Experience Launcher just seem gigantic!! Would I be able to change that in the Google launcher once I'm rooted, or would I still need to use another launcher (I've tended to use Apex Launcher on my other phones). I'm getting so used to having voice search available easily that losing it to go to another launcher would be sad, but not undoable, but if I'm able to adjust the icon size/screen density on GEL that would be great.

You won't be able to change the icon size in GEL even rooted unless there's a tampered APK as it's now part of the search app. You're just better of installing Nova if it really troubles you.

I do know what you mean re the icon size. You will find you get used to it with time however.

teiresias

You won't be able to change the icon size in GEL even rooted unless there's a tampered APK as it's now part of the search app. You're just better of installing Nova if it really troubles you.

I do know what you mean re the icon size. You will find you get used to it with time however.

Changing LCD density value usually doesn't have anything to do with the launcher though since it's changing the rendering of everything and not just the icons. It seems people on XDA are able to change it while using GEL.

This phone is beginning to infuriate me with its battery inconsistency. I went to Vegas this weekend and it was lasting an average of 4-6 hours on Fri/Sat even with Wifi/Location Services disabled with 1-2 hour on screen time and I had NO idea how, Android System was just decimating my battery life. On Sunday when I came back it runs 14 hours with 2.5 on screen time. What the actual hell.

Screenshot_2014-02-02-19-31-012.png

Screenshot_2014-02-10-02-45-482.png

I wish I just got a LG G2 instead, its camera and battery life blow this phone away in performance and reliability.

This phone is beginning to infuriate me with its battery inconsistency. I went to Vegas this weekend and it was lasting an average of 4-6 hours on Fri/Sat even with Wifi/Location Services disabled with 1-2 hour on screen time and I had NO idea how, Android System was just decimating my battery life. On Sunday when I came back it runs 14 hours with 2.5 on screen time. What the actual hell.

Well, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. :p

mturco

After the 4.4.2 update how are people feeling about the camera? I tried out the Note 3 and felt the camera was horrible.

If you thought the Note 3's camera was horrible you're not going to be impressed by the Nexus 5's camera. Then again you're crazy because the Note 3's camera is really good.

But as for the update, it really just helps with the speed which in turn helps with things being in focus much more often. The actual quality of the shots is pretty unchanged.

Ark

I'm having the same problem with battery life, except my culprit is Google Game/Play Services. Even if I turn off everything I possibly can sometimes it turns itself on while I'm at work and trains the battery. When it's not draining my battery though, the phone will easily last over 24 hours with decent use.

Does anyone else think it's crazy to go from the 5S to a nexus 5? I'm really liking the bigger screen but I feel I will miss the camera on the 5S. I think that apps have reached parity on iOS vs Android. Thoughts? /can't decide

Remyzero

Check the play store for volume boost.

For those experiencing the random battery drains. Which version of Google play service do you have on your phone? The latest release handles well on battery life. I think its 4.2.39

Symphonia

Banned
I did. I literally searched for 'volume booster' and must've tried at least fifteen different apps and not one of them really worked. I may have to look into getting a dock of some sort.

Remyzero

I did. I literally searched for 'volume booster' and must've tried at least fifteen different apps and not one of them really worked. I may have to look into getting a dock of some sort.

Ya a dock might be what you're looking for. There are mods to increase speaker gains but they require root access. Though it only has one speaker, I think the sound quality is pretty sharp when they launched the 4.2.2 update. What is your experience with the speakers?

Symphonia

Banned
Ya a dock might be what you're looking for. There are mods to increase speaker gains but they require root access. Though it only has one speaker, I think the sound quality is pretty sharp when they launched the 4.2.2 update. What is your experience with the speakers?
When you say 'root access' what do you mean? Do you mean like being able to access and edit the internal file system? Because I have File Manager that allows me to dig round in the internal files. I just don't understand 'rooting' and all that, is that similar to jailbreaking iOS? As for the speakers, I've not really had a problem with them. It's fine watching Netflix or Youtube but the music seems quieter, particularly when played through Play Music.

Screenshot_2014-02-10-02-45-482.png

I wish I just got a LG G2 instead, its camera and battery life blow this phone away in performance and reliability.

All those battery and weather apps running in background necessary? They do consume some battery even without internet connection

Top Bottom