• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Whooo my Amazon order shipped. Will be here tomorrow by 12pm.

Have been without a tablet for a couple weeks...and in the middle of a book too.

ordered. first step into android ever, hope it doesn't suck!

what are the must have android games/apps that i can't get on ios? I know they tend to get more kairosoft and kemco games.

what is an 'airvideo' like alternative for this that lets me stream local media from pc onto this?

feels great playing GTA Vice City, runs awesome and I am surprised that the controls arent bad. wow what a great game, I loved this one the most in terms of setting and atmosphere and I really like how the small city means it has a lot more character than the larger, copy/paste environments of more modern, bigger games.

trued anomaly lite (the scifi comic) but it gave an error message after downloading, so I dont know if they support 4.3...

Hattori

Banned
about to pick mine up from gamestop in a bit, had $140 trade credit so I'm getting this(32GB) for a measly $120+ x)

I'm new to this android stuff can someone explain what the advantages of "rooting" is? Is it like jailbreaking? Can I restore it back to normal if I don't like it?

about to pick mine up from gamestop in a bit, had $140 trade credit so I'm getting this(32GB) for a measly $120+ x)

I'm new to this android stuff can someone explain what the advantages of "rooting" is? Is it like jailbreaking? Can I restore it back to normal if I don't like it?

Most people root to use custom ROM's, some for certain apps, others for development purposes. Yes you can restore it back but if all your doing is rooting you won't notice any kind of difference in looks/performance etc.

madmook

I have no experience with Android tablets (iPad user), how does this handle something like a gif-heavy gaf thread, like the pics that make you laugh thread?

Requiem

So I just got mine and I'm loving it so far.

Can someone point me in there direction of a good list if apps to start out with?

Any help us appreciated!

So I just got mine and I'm loving it so far.

Can someone point me in there direction of a good list if apps to start out with?

Any help us appreciated!

So far, the ones I've used that look great on this device are the A&E and History channel apps. pInterest also very nice. Netflix and Hulu of course too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Making it really hard to wait for an LTE version... should I just grab the Wifi?

I need to sell my iPad still though, I guess that's a reason to wait.

Vyer

- Much sleeker looking than the old N7 (mostly)

- the new backing looks better, but I liked the feel of the old one more.

- screen is such a huge improvement. Resolution is great of course, but in color and stuff like ghosting the old N7 screen was very poor.

- bezel really is a little ridiculous

My order just shipped from Best Buy this morning, still waiting for a delivery date. I would've ordered from Amazon if they hadn't taken their sweet time putting it up for order. Oh well.

BFIB

Glad to see this launch went a lot smoother than the original N7's launch.

What a nightmare that was.

- Much sleeker looking than the old N7 (mostly)

- the new backing looks better, but I liked the feel of the old one more.

- screen is such a huge improvement. Resolution is great of course, but in color and stuff like ghosting the old N7 screen was very poor.

- bezel really is a little ridiculous

I don't get the bezel hate. Looks fine to me and it's perfect for landscape as your thumbs don't get in the way of the screen...even holding it one hand.

Vyer

I don't get the bezel hate. Looks fine to me and it's perfect for landscape as your thumbs don't get in the way of the screen...even holding it one hand.

I've never had that problem on the old one or any other tablet I've used.

Regardless, all those people with multiple thumbs are in luck as it wouldn't be a problem with this thing!

e_i

Oh yeah...this thing is loads better the N7 2012. Very nice and quick. Screen is bright and awesome. I did get some apps like MXplayer, that don't work with the tablet, or just plain crash. Screen is better, audio is LOADS better, everything about it is just better. Camera sucks though...but it's a tablet. I'll use my Canon t2i or EOS M cameras thank you very much.

tesqui

Is the performance increase from 2012 model really noticeable? I'm concerned about web browsing the most. Is browsing the web any faster?

Vyer

Mobile chrome is still kind of shitty I see. So janky when scrolling through GAF.

OS seems snappier though. And the Screen is so great, really can't say that enough.

Trying to ignore the camera placement.

JudgeN

Anyone been able to test performance with low disk space? Biggest problem with the current one so I hope they fixed it.

Shearie

This seems like a great upgrade from the first N7 but the screen size will forever be a double-edged sword for me that leans more to the negative. The screen is just too small as a tablet for my liking, although the positive is that it's easier to hold because of it and the device can be made lighter. Thing is, iPad Mini is plenty small and light for me and it has a much preferable screen size.

TxdoHawk

This is making it so hard to resist :/.

Was going to skip this revision and wait for the Nexus 10 one, or possibly a fuure N7 in 2014...

If you are indeed serious about waiting for the next n10, this has been going around:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...date-coming-in-near-future-says-android-chief

Efrati tweeted: "Expect to see new 10-inch Nexus 10 Android tablet (made by @Samsung) in the near future, Google's @sundarpichai tells me."

Vyer

This seems like a great upgrade from the first N7 but the screen size will forever be a double-edged sword for me that leans more to the negative. The screen is just too small as a tablet for my liking, although the positive is that it's easier to hold because of it and the device can be made lighter. Thing is, iPad Mini is plenty small and light for me and it has a much preferable screen size.

Yes, seeing the high res screen on a 7 inch tablet makes me excited for a retina mini.

Has anyone used the new one for comixology yet? Curious how nice it looks

Looks good. Still the phone app unfortunately but obviously the comics benefit from the improved screen.

Glad to see this launch went a lot smoother than the original N7's launch.

What a nightmare that was.

Wait, this is a SMOOTH launch?!

There are, apparently, no 32GB in Seattle. There are 16GB scattered at random Best Buy, but the closest one is an hour away. Gamestop and Staples have been nonstarters as well. I should have just ordered the 32GB from Amazon when I had the chance. *kicks self*

Sajjaja

Wait, this is a SMOOTH launch?!

There are, apparently, no 32GB in Seattle. There are 16GB scattered at random Best Buy, but the closest one is an hour away. Gamestop and Staples have been nonstarters as well. I should have just ordered the 32GB from Amazon when I had the chance. *kicks self*

Well technically, the release date hasn't even passed yet :p

Top Bottom