• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

reKon

Banned
Got mine from Best Buy today...

BBR: How can I help you sir?
Me: I'm here to buy the new nexus 7
BBR : YEAH we just got them this morning 16 and 64
Me: you mean 32 gigs?
BBR: yeah, we got all three 16,32,64.
Me: >_> let just get the 32 gig model

Anyway, love this thing!
The screen is insane!

You should have demanded the 64 gb aggressively

Anyway, love this thing!
The screen is insane!
How much for the 64 lol

Vyer

I saw a bunch at my GameStop, it seems not a lot of people know they are selling the new Nexus 7. You should try it, if everywhere else is sold out.

Yeah, I'm doing an exchange and I didn't think about just refunding and going there which would have been closer. Maybe I'll do that in the morning instead.

kmfdmpig

So the VLC in the Play store is the "stable" version versus the nightly? Is VLC the best video player on Android?

What is the best PDF and comic viewer (like Comicglass)?

This is my second Android device (had a HP Touchpad with Icecream on it). I need to make folders to arrange my apps.

I'm encrypting my hard drive because I thought it was a good idea. Now, I can't use it.

I like BSPlayer and MXPlayer for video

Perfect Viewer is good for comics

Bullza2o

Just ordered this on Amazon. This will be my very first tablet, and I hope I don't regret entering the tablet world.

Any good paid tablet apps? I have around $30 of Google Play credits.

I like BSPlayer and MXPlayer for video

Perfect Viewer is good for comics

I'll also take note of this, thanks.

Just ordered this on Amazon. This will be my very first tablet, and I hope I don't regret entering the tablet world.

Any good paid tablet apps? I have around $30 of Google Play credits.

I'll also take note of this, thanks.
I think most of the best tablet apps are all free.

Anyway, love this thing!
The screen is insane!

I want dat 64 gig. :p

Husker86

do i need to be home tomorrow for FedEx to deliver my Nexus?

shiet! probably not going to be home...hoping they'd leave it like at the door like every other packages.

sweet!

I've always printed out my tracking info then print and sign my name at the bottom saying please leave the package. Fedex has always complied with that for me. They take the note and that satisfies them I guess.

Shearie

Yep. It is basically same height as og but the width is narrower so it makes the top bezel look bigger.

They made the top and bottom bezels bigger than the original and it's the same height now as the iPad Mini. Check The Verge video review at minute 1 to see for yourself. Although you're still right that it's "basically" the same height as the original.

GatorBait

Hmmm...do I go with the 16GB or 32GB? I keep all of my music in the Google Music cloud, but 16GB seems like a small amount of storage.

reKon

Banned
Hmmm...do I go with the 16GB or 32GB? I keep all of my music in the Google Music cloud, but 16GB seems like a small amount of storage.

Do you play any graphically intensive games? If so I would opt for 32gb. If not, 16 should be fine, even if you have like 5 gigs of cached music or so. For me it's really the phone where I need that space for sure because I have big games, photos/videos I've recorded (1080P videos), and cached google music taking up the space.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sold out at Best Buy lol....

Probably gonna order on Amazon on Sunday

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
What do you think the new nexus 7 will do for Android tablet market share? I still love my gen 1 N7.
I really think what Google wants is for it to get more looks from developers when the general public takes notice. Combine the low price with high quality and they're on their way. Google believes they can usurp Apple's dominance when it comes to the top app marketplace, and also have developers create more tablet applications to create a force for all android tablets. The N7 line is definitely their answer to doing that.

madmook

I caved and bought one of these. I have zero experience with Android stuff, only iPad, and so far it's a little bit janky compared to iOS. I have an iPad 3 and a mini. Touchscreen isn't as responsive it seems like.

Biggest annoyance right now is when using the built-in Chrome browser, even in landscape mode, some websites are not properly fitting onto the screen automatically. They are a little bit zoomed in, like just a teensy bit, and I have to do the two finger zoom out to properly frame the page. This happens on Amazon.com, for instance. Anybody know how to fix this?

And while I can tell that websites are generally loading faster, gif-heavy threads still bog down. I though quad core and 2 gigs of ram would mean a bigger improvement over my iPad mini, bleh.

And while I can tell that websites are generally loading faster, gif-heavy threads still bog down. I though quad core and 2 gigs of ram would mean a bigger improvement over my iPad mini, bleh.

Chrome on my i7 4.4Ghz PC bogs down in GIF heavy threads sometimes.

It just doesn't handle gifs that well, I don't think.

Talon

I caved and bought one of these. I have zero experience with Android stuff, only iPad, and so far it's a little bit janky compared to iOS. I have an iPad 3 and a mini. Touchscreen isn't as responsive it seems like.

Biggest annoyance right now is when using the built-in Chrome browser, even in landscape mode, some websites are not properly fitting onto the screen automatically. They are a little bit zoomed in, like just a teensy bit, and I have to do the two finger zoom out to properly frame the page. This happens on Amazon.com, for instance. Anybody know how to fix this?

You have to realize that mobile browsers are still pretty far behind the curve.

Mobile Safari is the fastest mobile browser right now, and, benchmarking-wise, it's at the speed of IE8. Which is remarkable, really, considering mobile hardware limitations and such, but that just shows how much more we have to progress.

I forget where I read it, but there was a nice little feature talking about memory bandwidth and mobile browser performance - maybe it was Anandtech or Ars.

madmook

Also, I can't seem to find the post but someone else in this thread was talking about a slight hissing white noise from the speakers. My unit does this too, so I'm thinking it's kinda normal. The sound is pretty good for the size of this thing.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone recommend any keyboards for this thing? These Logitech ones I'm looking at seem to be the best but they're kind of pricey

Alot of the cheaper ones I'm looking at are really small though, or missing essential keys like shift and tab.

Chrome on my i7 4.4Ghz PC bogs down in GIF heavy threads sometimes.

It just doesn't handle gifs that well, I don't think.

WebKit is bad at GIFs and always has been.

On the desktop, it's better to use Firefox.

Unfortunately, Firefox for Android is still kind of ass-tastic. So your options there are limited.

Vyer

Also, I can't seem to find the post but someone else in this thread was talking about a slight hissing white noise from the speakers. My unit does this too, so I'm thinking it's kinda normal. The sound is pretty good for the size of this thing.

oh no.... :(

Threi

notag

so reading this it seems that google finally fixed the garbage collection routines for 4.3, thus eliminating the issues with the original nexus 7's storage issues (which with mine and other people's experiences report a definite speed boost)

...it only took them until the release of the device's successor to do it.

Good job google lmao

Yeah it's strange they couldn't have pushed a small update to enable trim, the difference is night any for me.

It actually feels like new hardware.

Top Bottom