• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Software selection and quality is a huge factor for a tablet purchase, though. Nobody wants to drop hundreds on a slab that won't do the things they want to do, no matter how nice that slab looks or runs benchmarks.

funny ya mention that. android users love to compare phone boners, but I can't think of many games or software that actually take advantage of those, and many of those games still run better on ipad.

mnannola

Software selection and quality is a huge factor for a tablet purchase, though. Nobody wants to drop hundreds on a slab that won't do the things they want to do, no matter how nice that slab looks or runs benchmarks.

Yep if BlackBerry came out with a tablet to beat all tablets, so what? You are still stuck in the blackberry ecosystem.

I think Verge's app store score is fair. Android has a ton of apps right now and a lot of them are great, but as far as tablet specific apps they are still behind Apple.

solarus

funny ya mention that. android users love to compare phone boners, but I can't think of many games or software that actually take advantage of those, and many of those games still run better on ipad.
There are no tablet apps to replace those on my ipad, the selection is pitiful to put it lightly, but stock google apps are better on android seeing as they get updated faster. This thing will be an awesome emulating device and for other cool stuff only possible with the openess of android. Hdmi through slmiport is awesome.

JudgeN

WOW I had one in my cart for staples and before I could finished my payment, they removed it from my cart and now it says out of stack. WTF I had one in my cart ; ;

Comixology in full page view, if you're a comic fan that is.

I'm not, is there any way i can do this without signing up for something?

Might as well throw some comparative first impressions here.

It's quite a lot lighter than the original N7. Between the thinner, slimmer profile, and the lighter weight, it feels much smaller than the original.

I prefer the overall aspect ratio of the original. I'll echo the Verge review's sentiments that this thing feels sort of comically tall.

Build quality, overall, feels sturdier than the original nexus 7. I have some slight screen flex on my first gen. This does not appear to have any.

The screen itself is a large improvement. Obviously the PPI is higher, but color saturation is also higher, thankfully. Interestingly, one compartively negative point, is that brightness drop off due to angles appears to be greater. Maybe a byproduct of higher pixel pitch, I'm not sure. It's not a dramatic difference, but its there. Color temperature on the new nexus 7 is noticeably cooler as well. Looking at this thread on gaf demonstrates the difference pretty clearly. I'll try and get some photos up to show the difference.

The sound is much louder and clearer on the new N7.

More impressions as I think of things to say.

TxdoHawk

I would've picked somebody who actually uses more than four apps on a regular basis, and an 8 for the Ecosystem score seems overly generous...but good on Google and ASUS. I want to see Android tablet app development pushed out of the scaling slums, and continued marketshare gains will hopefully be the motivator.

Would've liked to have seen more about how regular old apps are looking on the new screen, though. Curious if stuff like the Nexus 10 and S4 have paved the way for good-looking app design on high-res displays. I haven't seen any low-res art assets or anything on my S4 that struck me as overly grody...but dunno if that's just because the phone is still fairly small compared to even a 7-inch tablet.

For those who bought a N7 @ BB, did it say it was available online for store pickup? All the stores nearby me say pickup in 3-5 days.

Comparison Pictures
2013 on the left in side by sides.
http://i.picpar.com/UCs.jpg
http://i.picpar.com/WCs.jpg

http://i.picpar.com/XCs.jpg

http://i.picpar.com/YCs.jpg

For those who bought a N7 @ BB, did it say it was available online for store pickup? All the stores nearby me say pickup in 3-5 days.

Yes, mine did.

nemss: I like it a lot so far. It fixes my new issues i had with the 2012 model, namely insufficient pixel pitch making reading less than perfect, low color saturation, and questionable build quality. I have yet to try anything that stresses performance, any suggestions of fun, free, performance hog games? (or games with free demos)

TwIsTeD

mines ready for pickup at my Best Buy....I went 32gb and if I really like it i`ll return and get the LTE model in a few weeks...might make a good replacement to my iPad 3rd Gen

Thanks for the shots. Out of curiosity, are those taken with max brightness set? I hear the new screen is a lot brighter, and in that first picture certain elements definitely "pop" more (the clock in particular).

I dont think I had the first at max brightness, but I don't remember. I tried to get the two to be close on the gaf shot, so i might've dialed the brightness back on the new one (which is indeed brighter).

BTW, this bezel does NOT look at all big in person. The form factor is amazing and OH no screen lift! Quality seems REALLY good. Og nexus did feel kinda cheap when holding it but this is not the case here.

BFIB

BTW, this bezel does NOT look at all big in person. The form factor is amazing and OH no screen lift!

I thought the bezel was blown out of proportion anyway. If you're going to hold it in landscape, then your hands have to go somewhere.

WHOAguitarninja, Real Racing 3 and Dead Trigger are two games that are graphics intensive, and are free.

Zeppu

TxdoHawk

It wasn't that long ago that "You need to optimize your experience for Android tablets!" was a cry that would've been largely laughed off. Now it feels like the marketshare and mindset are finally forming up to voice an actual weighted opinion.

Hopefully this translates to real progress. I like my iPad Mini, but I want Google to bring the heat and keep the tablet competition strong. Everyone will win in the end if that happens, regardless of platform.

wow what a stunning upgrade from my old N7, the beautiful screen makes video look amazing but the sound...huge upgrade having stereo sound.

the hardware is a much sleeker design than the old one, thinner and less bulky.

I'm really impressed.

Is the new Nexus 7 available in Canada today? Either from Future Shop, Best Buy, or Staples (in store)?

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and grab that. No SD slot, but it seems to be a good enough machine...

Has anyone had any luck finding one of these at Gamestop? There's one around the corner from my office, but it doesn't open for a half-hour.

wow what a stunning upgrade from my old N7, the beautiful screen makes video look amazing but the sound...huge upgrade having stereo sound.

the hardware is a much sleeker design than the old one, thinner and less bulky.

I'm really impressed.

Yep all those people saying otherwise have yet to hold one in person...it's so beautiful. Watching some twitch on that 1080p right now...sooooo good

all the ones around me show that they are in stock.

This is so weird. Best Buy and GameStop are showing no inventory anywhere in Seattle. Amazon still has it for Saturday delivery. Staples shows it in its search results, but gives me a "no longer available" page when I click on it.

Aargh.

This is so weird. Best Buy and GameStop are showing no inventory anywhere in Seattle. Amazon still has it for Saturday delivery. Staples shows it in its search results, but gives me a "no longer available" page when I click on it.

Aargh.

It's like that here in Denver as well.

Aargh.

have you tried calling BB? they may not have it up on their system. try calling. actually no. they'll just check online lol.

solarus

Ok I'm not waiting until september for this I want it for my flight in 3 weeks, would it be fine to import a US one? I mean it's the same hardware right so wouldn't it work fine in the UK andlet me use my UK google account?

DarkPanda

Thanks for the BB heads up you guys! I just got back from my store and my shiny new 32GB N7 is sitting on my desk charging. The screen and overall design are gorgeous, and the build quality is nice. My only complaint so far is the lack of a charging indication light, but other than that I'm very happy with the design and I can't wait for it to finish charging so I can start playing with it!

Top Bottom