• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

The biggest surprise for me is the sound, its a huge upgrade. I expected the beautiful screen since its a significant reason for my upgrade (main reasons for me - screen, rear facing camera and more space since I had a 8GB original N7) and the screen delivered.

What surprised me was the sound, the sound is stereo, has an effective surround sound effect and is way louder and clearer than the original. Its a huge upgrade, and means that its just a way way better device for watching videos.

I also think the form factor is much nicer, its thinner and feels much higher tech since the original always felt a little clunky.

Its a shame I dont really enjoy playing games on tablets/phones since the review on cnet shows that the game performance is really impressive.

Far from buyers remorse, I am really pleased with this upgrade. The screen and sound are huge and noticeable upgrades so it would be hard to go back to the original.

Cloudy

Banned
I have never understood delayed releases for items that are already in stock at the stores. You want the impulse buyers! So glad BB did this and got everyone else to follow the lead

OmegaFax

I orderer from Amazon with upgraded Saturday shipping. I cancelled my in-store pickup at Best Buy.

I got a $30 Amazon gift card + no tax outweighed the immediate need to pick it up today.

BFIB

I really like my N10. But I miss the portability of the 7" Nexus.

Debating on unloading my 10 since apparently the 7's text is so sharp, even the smallest text can easily be read.

GatorBait

Thinking of selling off my iPad 2 and picking up one of these instead (I'd like to move to something a little more portable and for greater use as an e-reader). Some questions though, for anyone who can help:

1. How "bad" is viewing certain content on the 7" screen? I have heard some negatives about viewing certain content on the Nexus 7's aspect ratio.

2. I notice it has Qi charging. If I buy the premium Asus cover (the one that looks like a smart case), will the charging work with the cover still on? Anyone have any experience with this with phones?

3. Anyone else made the change from a 10" iPad to a Nexus? What has been your experience thus far on the positives/negatives with your switch?

does best buy have any sort of return policies for tablets?

I remember Target had 30 days return for tablets opened with no restock fee.

Return & Exchange Policy
Original Receipt
The original receipt, gift receipt or packing slip is required for all returns and exchanges. If returning or exchanging an item in a Best Buy store, a valid photo ID is also required.

Return & Exchange Period
15 days for all eligible products
60 days for eligible products for Reward Zone® program Premier Silver members
Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return or exchange.

Nonreturnable Items
Labor, delivery and/or completed Geek Squad® installation services
Some prepaid cards, digital subscriptions or services
Consumable items such as food, drinks and batteries
Ink/Toner cartridges that have had their factory sealed packaging opened
Items that are damaged or abused
Items that are missing accessories such as remote controls, cords and cables
Etched or otherwise personalized items
Opened computer software, movies, music and video games can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be returned for a refund
Downloadable digital content (such as games and movies)
Microphones, harmonicas and similar products
Marketplace items
Non-defective special orders.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Returns...cy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

VoxPop

Damn after the nice reviews, I kinda wanna pick one up..

Probably going to wait to see how the new retina Minis hold up first though.

For those that have it, how is the speed on it? Does it lag at all with that marvelous screen? My iPad 3 chugs in the App Store due to the retina

Ugh. Guys, I was banned until 15 minutes ago.. dying to post.

Bought one today at Best Buy in Framingham, MA at about 10:15.

5YbwOVv.jpg

Haven't had much time to play with it yet.

I did a quick google but this new nexus 7 is using the same snapdragon setup as the nexus 4, right?

I want to get my hands on an updated nexus 10 at some point, feels a little too late to buy a 10 right now.

For those that have it, how is the speed on it? Does it lag at all with that marvelous screen? My iPad 3 chugs in the App Store due to the retina

pretty sure all devices chug in the new pos ios app store lol.

google play store is kinda shitty as well :/

So anyone have any luck buying n7 at stores besides bb?

kaskade

Man, this thing is looking really nice. Especially for that price. If I didn't already have a tablet I'd be all over this.

Morts

I'm thinking about picking one of these up after work. Was going to wait and see what the next iPad Mini looks like, but Macrumors seems to think it won't get retina until the spring. Plus I've got this coupon for triple rewards points at Best Buy that expires tomorrow... Not sure what I'd do with it that my Galaxy Nexus can't do though...

Any Super Nintendo emulators that easily pair with a PS3 controller? That's a thing, right?

SeZMehK

I want to get the new nexus 7. I am currently on a Transformer Prime and my wife has the 1st Gen iPad. I say We are due a long overdue upgrade... but how to justify the purchase with my wife... Lol

I've been playing with it for the past 2 hrs and have had no lag whatsoever

BFIB

I'm thinking about picking one of these up after work. Was going to wait and see what the next iPad Mini looks like, but Macrumors seems to think it won't get retina until the spring. Plus I've got this coupon for triple rewards points at Best Buy that expires tomorrow... Not sure what I'd do with it that my Galaxy Nexus can't do though...

Any Super Nintendo emulators that easily pair with a PS3 controller? That's a thing, right?

Retroarch app and SixAxis Controller app.

I do think you still need to root for the SixAxis app. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Went to Costco and saw a 7 inch tablet and the size was pretty good. Bigger than I imagined, but still a bit small for comics. I think I will pick this up.

Yeah, I'm kinda holding off setting everything up exactly as I want as I'm waiting for the inevitable root. Hopefully soon since they are out in the wild now.

Husker86

Any downside to rooting? I never looked into the process with my Android phones.

Downside to rooting itself, no.

Yeah, I'm kinda holding off setting everything up exactly as I want as I'm waiting for the inevitable root. Hopefully soon since they are out in the wild now.

Can't you just OEM Unlock bootloader then flash Chainfire SU zip? I don't think any loopholes need to be found for Nexus devices.

If anyone is even considering rooting, OEM unlock bootloader would be the first thing I would do since it wipes the device.

TxdoHawk

Any downside to rooting? I never looked into the process with my Android phones.

There are a small handful of apps (mostly streaming apps, to my understanding) that will actively try to detect rooted devices and not run or play content. You're also technically voiding your warranty by doing so, although enforcement of this varies from place to place and manufacturer to manufacturer.

Other than that, not too much else. Just make sure you read and re-read directions to avoid problems.

e_i

Fuck this...I can't wait. I'm getting mine in store and returning the online one when I get it next week. Bestbuy allows for in store returns for online orders...I think.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I have the original Nexus 7. I am waiting to see if this tablet has the screen creak and slow down issues that its predecessor had.

Thinking of selling off my iPad 2 and picking up one of these instead (I'd like to move to something a little more portable and for greater use as an e-reader). Some questions though, for anyone who can help:

1. How "bad" is viewing certain content on the 7" screen? I have heard some negatives about viewing certain content on the Nexus 7's aspect ratio.

2. I notice it has Qi charging. If I buy the premium Asus cover (the one that looks like a smart case), will the charging work with the cover still on? Anyone have any experience with this with phones?

3. Anyone else made the change from a 10" iPad to a Nexus? What has been your experience thus far on the positives/negatives with your switch?

1. Websites can be a pain because you end up with small text/images in portrait vs lots of scrolling in landscape. I would imagine the new screen should help tremendously with being able to read even without zooming in in portrait view though. Everything else is fine to me.

2. Depends on thickness. Don't think anyone will know til they get their hands on the case ... but I doubt Asus would make a case that kills a feature.

3. I moved from iPad 3. The biggest thing I miss from iPad is (was) the crazy nice screen and a GOOD Facebook app (it is complete garbage on Android and even worse on tablets). Most of the blown up phone apps like Spotify are good enough for me. It's also MUCH easier to chat on the N7 because the size actually lets you thumb type properly like a phone. I really wanted to get an iPad mini but the screen was frankly garbage to my eyes so I decided to go with the N7 instead and wait for the retina mini. The new N7 with dat screen has me sold and at this point, I couldn't care less about a retina mini.

Downside to rooting itself, no.

Can't you just OEM Unlock bootloader then flash Chainfire SU zip? I don't think any loopholes need to be found for Nexus devices.

If anyone is even considering rooting, OEM unlock bootloader would be the first thing I would do since it wipes the device.

Hm will try that. I just did the oem unlock so now to reinstall everything lol

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Argh, I was planning on holding out with my OG Nexus 7 until maybe Christmas or the first deal, but I caved. I used the Staples $30 off code. 41178

Nexus 7 is my favorite tablet and the first viable one for my type of work, so I'm excited to get the new one that is better in nearly every way

So is this good if I just want to load up vlc anime, use netflix and browse the internet?

Should be. Now if you want to have a lifestyle device with optimized apps, the latest apps, the most apps and premium design than there's always iPad.

I have a 4th Gen iPad. And I'm getting this for the portability/travel, reading docs, browsing, comics, etc. I'll probably stick to my iPhone and iPad for the games, etc.

Argh, I was planning on holding out with my OG Nexus 7 until maybe Christmas or the first deal, but I caved. I used the Staples $30 off code. 41178

Nexus 7 is my favorite tablet and the first viable one for my type of work, so I'm excited to get the new one that is better in nearly every way

You will be happy! I loved the original too but this is on a different level of awesome :p

TwistedMind

Neo Member
So which company are making it this time ?? is it still Asus !
Also Google need to realize there is a huge world outside the US full of people who are willing to buy their products :(

VPhys

Will Best Buy accept staples coupon? I would pick it up at staples but they do not offer in store pickup, only deliver to store for a Wednesday delivery.

Holy shit, Amazon sells it? I might buy it, since I have a lot of gift card money. But I've never used an Android product before, so I'm not sure what I'm getting into.

i caved again. bought a 32GB version amazon. my mom has the OG 32GB. i canceled the chromecast twice so that means i actually have to go to best buy and check if any are in stock in stores lol.

Top Bottom