• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Does anyone have any recommended tablet apps? I'm finding that a lot of apps that I have used on my phone don't scale well on a tablet

mrhGB

Banned
I really like the look of the new Nexus 7. I've wanted to jump into the tablet world for awhile now and I think it might be time. I just read it's not hitting the UK for another couple of months though which is a bit of a shame.

Here's my 2 cents. I'm coming from a 4th Gen iPad, iPhone 5 and former HP Touchpad user.

+Price (though they did raise it $30 from the 2012 model but you get a rear camera, higher resolution, etc). It doesn't have a big price of entry compared to Apple's.
+Good performance
+No need for iTunes (which can be a positive or negative for some people)
+Good resolution (if coming from iPad 2/Mini)

-App Selection (latest games, etc)
-App Performance (some of the apps I've used on iOS aren't as zippy or stutter)
-Not as zippy as my iPad 4
-Top/Bottom Bezel (this thing could've been smaller height wise)
-plastic versus Apple brushed aluminum (but obviously this leads to cheaper price)

I'm probably going to sell my iPad 4 and use this as my daily tablet. I'll probably return to the 10-inch when they can match the iPad 2 thinness combined with iPad 4 performance+new features.

U2NUMB

Just got mine from Amazon.. not happy how they just threw it in a box. You can tell it took a beating. But it seems fine...

Initial response is wow it seems so different in size to the original. Also an update right out of the box... I Like how it feels so far.. the thin sides will take a bit to get used to but overall not bad so far.

womp

Yay, finally got this thing rooted.

Which method/write-up/directions did you use? The XDA 'Root 4.3' thread?

Thanks. :)

I think I will probably wait until the stock images are available from Google before I do anything however. JUST in case.

As a side note, everyone worried about the bezel? Honestly, it is MUCH better in person and in hand than photos make it look. It's honestly not even an issue IMO, and I was one who said "WTF bezel" initially.

Many have asked, why not WCN3680 (the 802.11ac enabled successor to 3660), the answer is of course, you’re talking about a ~$200 tablet, stuff like this understandably has to be n–1 without making the bill of materials untenable.

The new Nexus 7 is everything a generational refresh should be – performance goes up dramatically, issues were fixed (storage), features were added (5 GHz WiFi, rear facing camera, Qi charging, high DPI display), and it’s all in a thinner and lighter form factor. Everything about the OG Nexus 7 is better in the 2013 model, all while keeping basically the same price point, and we haven’t even looked at the 4G LTE enabled version yet which adds the right kind of operator-agnostic LTE bands for two regions that I’ve been begging for. It’s undeniable that Google is doing something right with the Nexus program, and along with it, hardware partner ASUS.

One of the things I love about the Nexus 7 (or the Nexus 4) is the cost of entry. The catch-22 is, to obtain that cost, you have to cut corners or not be as cutting edge as you can. We probably won't see an Android tablet with this form factor have 802.11ac, Snapdragon 600 (or the SOC they used for the overseas SGS4, Tegra 4, etc), brushed aluminum, etc.

But at least the price if you're a yearly updater is low versus the $500 or $300+ for iPads.

asdad123

So what are some must have apps for this? I never had an android tablet before.

Are there PS1 emulators on this thing? Would love to play some RPGs on it haha.

pestul

$249 for the 16gb in Canada.. wtf Google. Hopefully one of those staples coupons that come out every week will apply to tablets for a change. :p

TxdoHawk

I got one, against all better judgment. ;) Hadn't checked out the tablet software situation on Android in awhile, so I thought it was a good excuse to snag one and do a little writing about it.

If you haven't already done so, flip off auto-brightness and crank it, it's pretty hilariously nuts how cornea-searing this screen can get.

u1IOjVL.jpg

Interested in getting a tablet:

1. I want to use one for reading ebooks. I would get a Kindle, but I like to read before bed so white light disrupts my sleep; I'm hoping with an Android tablet I can download Lux and it'll be similar to using Flux on my Macbook.

2. I don't care about the app selection since I probably wouldn't use most of them anyways. Besides ebooks, I'll likely use the tablet for watching TV shows/movies and listening to music.

Would it be a good idea for me to get this tablet?

reKon

Banned
I want some battery impressions from those use it for the next fews day. All I want to see is how much on screen time did you get before it died, were you connected to wifi the entire time or did you set it to time out, and what things were you doing on it?

I've been using a touchpad and could typically get 4-6 hours of screen time over a 3-4 day period depending on what I do. I couldn't remember if I had WiFi set to timeout after inactivity, but I would browse/stream an hour or so a day and I would be satisfied because I was at home and could easily charge it when it was low (which wasn't needed for days).

Also does anyone have an idea of how overclocking would be with this S4 Pro? I'd like to see how it fairs at 1.7 and above. It would be nice if there are no negative effects because I think it would be comparable to my HTC One at that speed perhaps? Nexus 7 also uses DDR3 ram while the HTC One uses DDR2.

I used some Amazon credit to purchase this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTDBSXU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Great controller for pretty much everything with rechargeable battery built in and I think it could double for a PC controller as well (not certain).

I love this controller, played on it at Pax East this year. Couldn't wait to get one. As for using it on the PC;

To do this you need bluetooth on your computer, if you do not have bluetooth you need to purchase a bluetooth dongle which is very inexpensive. Once you have located bluetooth on your computer if you are running Windows, have not tested this on MacOSX but highly doubt it works because Apple is very strict about generic drivers, type in the main "search programs and folders" start typing in bluetooth and if the option to "Add a bluetooth device" pops up click on that. Make sure your controller is on in B mode and the search Wizard should eventually find something similar to Moga Pro HID or any other device that looks unfamiliar as a device. Select it and the computer should eventually connect with the controller. It will not work straight out of the box because there are a couple more things that must be done. Type in Bluetooth again in the search box and select "View Devices and Printers" and find the icon that looks like a controller. Right click and go to properties, find the bluetooth services tab and click on it then check "Drivers for Keyboard, mice, etc.." The driver should then install and the computer will confirm the controller was installed. It might still not work, check by going to the icon again, right clicking and selecting "Game controller settings," click on the Properties section and choose the Testing Tab. Move the analog back and forth, if it does not show any movement that means it is not working properly. Turn off the controller and let it auto-connect with the computer and wait for the controller icon to be solid and repeat, if this does not work leave a comment and I can send some screens and have a conversation with you. Run any emulator, I recommend Dolphin, look for the controller labeled "DInput/0/Android Controller Gen-2(ACC)" and select it, move the analog back and forth and it should show the feedback. Map out the buttons your way on each emulator and you're done, you now have two controllers for the price of one. This may seem complex but the computer supports both the y and x axis so you can use both analogs and the D-pad is considered different as well so you can use it as a full-fledged controller. The only buttons that do not work are the trigger buttons so that does create a bottleneck but the fact it works with a computer makes up for that.

Anyway, I knew I said I probably wouldn't get the new Nexus 7, but I did. BEstbuy got a shit-ton of em and the Chromecast (which I already had) and the wife assured me that she'd use the original 32GB N7. The only thing I don't like is the lack of cases and screen protectors available and that it doesn't fit in the original N7 cases.

mrhGB

Banned
Must be bluetooth however, Google removed the USB OTG feature (unless you root the device).

That's a shame, why did they do that? I have a PS3 controller and thought that would work great. I was happy to buy a 50p cable, but not a £40 Bluetooth controller. I've never owned a tablet so I've never had to "root" anything, are there any major risks in doing so?

pestul

I just read the Anandtech mini-review and now I'm super-hyped. Awesome that it's more akin to an underclocked Snapdragon 600 than it is to the S4. Performance is tremendous.

madmook

Any browser recommendations? I've tried a bunch of free ones that show up when I searched "browser" on the app store (opera, uc, dolphin, firefox) but they all have their individual quirks or whatnot, and I'm sticking to Chrome for now.

Also, any way to get rid of or auto-hide the bottom black bar with the home and app switch button? It is taking up a huge amount of screen real estate when browsing in landscape mode.

U2NUMB

Had to run out for a bit.. tossed it on my Lumina 920 qi charter.. get home and its fully charged. I so love wireless charging.

Also really loving the screen!

I got one, against all better judgment. ;) Hadn't checked out the tablet software situation on Android in awhile, so I thought it was a good excuse to snag one and do a little writing about it.

If you haven't already done so, flip off auto-brightness and crank it, it's pretty hilariously nuts how cornea-searing this screen can get.

u1IOjVL.jpg

Looks sooo good

JonnyBrad

Will this one become sluggish and dead and shit like apparently the first Nexus did?

Apparently the NAND controller is not a total piece of shit this time. Along with 4.3 having better software garbage collection i would say this should stay smooth for all the time you have it now.

DieH@rd

Banned
Will this one become sluggish and dead and shit like apparently the first Nexus did?

That happened because of the lack of trim, you could have always rooted old N7 and installed that fix. Official 4.3 android has that option integrated in it, so storage-retaled slowdowns will never happen again on old N7. Or new one. New one also has much faster storage.

Top Bottom