• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Vyer

OK, switched out and the new one seems better. Of course the other one seemed OK at first too so we'll see.

Protip: if your best buy is sold out of the N7, don't forget about the mall "mobile" stores. They handle phones and tablets and also have N7 stock.

Vyer

What's the best way to send texts from one of these? I never did that on my old N7.

Edit: wait, I guess that's what they new hangouts are for?

haha the sticker/seal on the inside was random as hell, thought best buy was giving me a retaped one and no seal on the outside made it a funny conversation :p

played around with it and so far its great, love it when laying down but no amazon video makes me :(

Don't know how many of you are in the Delaware area, but the Bestbuy on Concord Pike has 30+ tablets currently, both 16GB and 32GB.

People there aren't too tech savvy and are still going gaga over the iPad 4 and mini.

Cipherr

The story actually is a bit more involved however. One of the big problems was that the slowness which occurred with the prior Nexus 7 took device aging to appear – it was great for the first few months, but after you started loading it things tailed off. The new Nexus 7 (2013) with Android 4.3 includes support for fstrim, essentially idle garbage collection, which TRIMs the eMMC when a few conditions are met – the device is idle, screen off, and battery above roughly 70-percent. I’m told that TRIM support has been part of the eMMC standard since around version 4.2, it was just a matter of enabling it in software. The result is that the new Nexus 7 shouldn’t have these aging affects at all. Better yet, fstrim support has also been added to the old Nexus 7 with as of the Android 4.3 update, so if you’ve got a Nexus 7 that feels slow, I/O performance should get better after fstrim runs in the background. I'm checking on whether the other Nexus devices have also had TRIM support added. I would consider the slow storage aging problem fixed as of now, and Google took the eMMC and storage I/O performance issues with the previous Nexus 7 to heart for this version.

Very encouraging.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
M0mbRg2.jpg

gQ6Gtj2.jpg

ffBeJyx.jpg

I wanted to take more pictures but I just wanted to turn it on and start playing with it.
-Holy fuck this is so much thinner and lighter to hold in the hand than I thought it would be. The N7'12 feels like a cheap toy in comparison. What really got me was the thinness and the width of it. The bezels don't bother me.
-The screen is unbelievable. Text is sharp as hell. Reading on this will be bliss combined with how good it feels.
-Not seeing any lag for now. Wi
-Power button seems...stiff? Weird. Hopefully it isn't too much like that over time.

Easily worth $229.

Husker86

Omg. Can't tell if that's a dead pixel or a small dust trapped under the glass.
Download a pixel checker app. I'd hope that dust under the screen is unlikely, it looks like the LCD is fused with the glass.

Shameless plug, Perfect Pixel Checker is my app

mrhGB

Banned
If anyone is bored could you take a few photos using the 5MP camera on the back? I just want to see how good the photos come out.

equap

Banned
I'm in love with this tablet. Still in its protective plastic cover! ahahha

let's talk about cases for it! I really like the (fake?) leather cases for the Samsung Galaxy S4, the one with the little window to see the time or whatever. Anything like that or that stylish for the N7?

scently

I'm in love with this tablet. Still in its protective plastic cover! ahahha

let's talk about cases for it! I really like the (fake?) leather cases for the Samsung Galaxy S4, the one with the little window to see the time or whatever. Anything like that or that stylish for the N7?

Amazon has the official cover for it. Its $19.99. Just ordered one myself.
Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DY3J966/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Select the sellers option and change it to Amazon.

Download a pixel checker app. I'd hope that dust under the screen is unlikely, it looks like the LCD is fused with the glass.

Shameless plug, Perfect Pixel Checker is my app

thanks. it's a dead pixel. oh well. hopefully amazon is fast with exchanges.

Got mine from FedEx today. Much nicer than last year's. screen is great but more light leak than I want. Colors are a bit cooler than my ipad. Great little device for the price.

asdad123

Just picked up a 16gb at staples for $200 after the coupon. They didn't have any 32gb.

Gonna return my best buy order when it comes in on Tuesday. 16gb isn't worth $70 for me.

Vyer

I find it strange how mobile chrome has to adjust to the resolution when closing a tab. Throws me off a bit.

samn

Has anyone with a new Nexus 7 been experiencing multitouch acting strangely, or tapping multiple times when long pressed? A few people on XDA are having this issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZRiMiNzs0U

You can run this app to show exactly what input it is registering:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rn.yamtt&hl=en

I remember having very poor multitouch on my HTC Desire due to its digitizer, which could not be fixed by a software update, and after last year's build problems/laggyness I'm slightly concerned that this multitouch issue might not be limited to just a few tablets.

Has anyone with a new Nexus 7 been experiencing multitouch acting strangely, or tapping multiple times when long pressed? A few people on XDA are having this issue:

I remember having very poor multitouch on my HTC Desire due to its digitizer, which could not be fixed by a software update, and after last year's build problems/laggyness I'm slightly concerned that this multitouch issue might not be limited to just a few tablets.

Pretty sure someone did that same exact test for the original N7 with the same results. The tablet was still fine in real life usage.

Muzy72

Banned
Seriously thinking of selling my iPad to get the new Nexus 7. The only downside is how much I've spent on the iOS App Store, but if anything I still have an iPod touch for the stuff I bought.

MarkusRJR

Hopefully it's only a software issue. There were similar issues with the Lumia 620 that were fixed via software update. Then again, there were software issues regarding multi touch on the Nexus 4 and Google never fixed those.

Husker86

Zero issues with mine, tried everything up to five fingers and didn't see a loss of input, even when going very fast. Hope it's still a software issue for others though.

xptoxyz

That's a shame, why did they do that? I have a PS3 controller and thought that would work great. I was happy to buy a 50p cable, but not a £40 Bluetooth controller. I've never owned a tablet so I've never had to "root" anything, are there any major risks in doing so?

You realize DS3 uses bluetooth?

asdad123

If anyone is wondering, there is 11.66gb left on the 16gb tablet once it's all set up.

I think I can survive with that. The screen on this thing is amazing compared to my iPad mini.

It's not even funny how superior this version is to the original N7. I sold my N7 after 2 months, but I can't imagine myself doing the same with this one. Kudos, Google.

Kibbles

It's not even funny how superior this version is to the original N7. I sold my N7 after 2 months, but I can't imagine myself doing the same with this one. Kudos, Google.
Damnit you guys are making me want to go pick one up now. I recently sold my nexus 7 because I never used it once I upgraded my phone. I feel like I'll still never use it so I'm trying to talk myself out of it but then that $30 off coupon gets posted and expires tomorrow. Ufbdhdhfn

asdad123

Damnit you guys are making me want to go pick one up now. I recently sold my nexus 7 because I never used it once I upgraded my phone. I feel like I'll still never use it so I'm trying to talk myself out of it but then that $30 off coupon gets posted and expires tomorrow. Ufbdhdhfn

Do ittttt. For $200 after the coupon, this can't be beat. I'm glad I switched from the iPad mini.

Any recommendations for the Qi chargers? I wanna pick one up.

Top Bottom