• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Phanta

I noticed that today as well. I'm calling around, asking Staples and Best Buy if anyone's got one in (on a blind hope).

But maybe I'll just wait for the mythic MeMo Pad 7 HD. It's a lot cheaper. Plus SD port, mothafuckas.

I work at Staples(in NYC) and Google just gave us the green light to start selling the Nexus now. They wanted us too wait till August before putting it on shelves in the store.

It will be available probably by Monday in stores and I'm pretty sure that's going to be nationwide.

I work at Staples(in NYC) and Google just gave us the green light to start selling the Nexus now. They wanted us too wait till August before putting it on shelves in the store.

It will be available probably by Monday in stores and I'm pretty sure that's going to be nationwide.

I'm in Canada though.

Mairu

Do ittttt. For $200 after the coupon, this can't be beat. I'm glad I switched from the iPad mini.

Seems like YMMV as far as getting Staples to accept the coupon - I have a friend going to pick one up for me but over the phone they were stating they wouldn't accept the coupon for the new Nexus 7. She's going anyways to argue since there's nothing really on the coupon that says it's inapplicable.

Protome

What about UK Staples stores?
;)

U2NUMB

Went to the Mall of America and shot a video of the park inside. The slight movement up and down is simply the actual mall moving with so many people being there. Also at the end some outside on a cloudy day.

Nexus 7 -2013 Video Test

Cloudy

Banned
Google really needs to do some adverting. My Best Buy is a complete Samsung zone these days but even Apple and MS have their little tablet sections. Nexus has nothing. I'm even surprised they had a demo unit (It was bunched in with all the 3rd and 4th tier tablets)

Google really needs to do some adverting. My Best Buy is a complete Samsung zone these days but even Apple and MS have their little tablet sections. Nexus has nothing. I'm even surprised they had a demo unit (It was bunched in with all the 3rd and 4th tier tablets)

Yeah that is basically how my bestbuy is too. When I got mine they didn't even know about them. They had to look it up in the system and it was in those cages they have stocked in the back.

solarus

Hearing problems of random reboots and gps not working :/ I think I will hold off until these issues are less common. Any gaffer experiencing this?

having the same issue with vlc. bsplayer seems ok.

first android experience ever.... some of these apps chuck like a mother. Not a big fan of the buttons on the bottom always in games.

Are there ANY tablet optimized apps? Feel like most of these apps are just phone apps :/

Cloudy

Banned
The multiple user accounts feature is great. I know it's a scam to sell more but I can't believe it took this long to get this feature on a mainstream tablet.

Cloudy

Banned
having the same issue with vlc. bsplayer seems ok.

first android experience ever.... some of these apps chuck like a mother. Not a big fan of the buttons on the bottom always in games.

Are there ANY tablet optimized apps? Feel like most of these apps are just phone apps :/

I'll try bsplayer. Thanks. MX is the best though and hopefully they update their app soon

PS: There are lots of tabet apps but its kind of hard to blame the devs when Android itself isn't optimized for tablets (really shoddy to see phone dialer options in a device with no LTE)

solarus

http://youtu.be/14cPiiM3Pwg
Are these multitouch issues common? There was a post in this thread mentioning some problem with multi touch detection and that the previous nexus also had the problem. Can someone try and copy the video and see if they have the same issue please.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
The touch screen feels spotty. It's far better on my iPhone. Android is is OK, but I hate the bottom navigation buttons. Nice device, the screen is nice. I can't seem to find a comfortable hold. Wish it was wider.

Anyone got a good music app.? Also need a good manga app. Wish mangastorm was on android.

asdad123

How do I copy over my music to this thing? I tried plugging it into my computer, but it doesnt show up. Are there any drivers I need to install?

Blastoise

Banned
This sold me on it:

dWvto3Y.png

I can't wait for a local release. I'm ordering it from bhphotovideo, and getting it posted to Aus.

air stream + bsplayer gets me streaming my stuff onto my nexus fine. Shit is mad ghetto though lol.

are there any cases for this yet with a stand?

gokieks

After testing and discovering that Qloud Server + Qloud Media Player has reached a point where it's actually superior to Air Video on iOS, I went ahead and bought a 32GB from my local Best Buy. Impressions so far are very positive - the screen looks great, performance is snappy, and the large side bezels actually turned out to be pretty much exactly the right size for holding it while watching videos in landscape mode. HBOGo and MX Player not working yet is an annoyance, but I expect that'll get sorted out soon. Also need to find a case that will allow me to prop it up on a flat surface. And figure out what to do with my old HP TouchPad.

womp

why should one root android :3

Well, in this case especially (Since it isn't available out of the box), you can connect an OTG (on-the-go) cable into the USB charge port allowing you to access thumb drives and other external storage. Personally though, I need my ad blocker too.

Custom ROMs is another.

madmook

Gonna return mine to Best Buy.

At low volumes, the speakers emit a continuous whitenoise/hiss/crackle. I didn't notice it earlier because I had the volume cranked, and it doesn't do this at the higher volumes.

Not getting an exchange, as I didn't like my first Android tablet experience. Touchscreen sensitivity not as good as iPad's ("input lag" feels much higher). Don't like the permanent on-screen bottom row of buttons (especially distracting when trying to web browse in landscape). I find the iPad's Youtube app interface to be better than the one on the Nexus, lol nice one Google.

I'll miss the decently speedy web browsing and the gorgeous screen (not just the high dpi, but also the superior contrast ratio), but the trade-offs aren't worth it.

iPad mini's speakers also have more bass.

fse

At low volumes, the speakers emit a continuous whitenoise/hiss/crackle. I didn't notice it earlier because I had the volume cranked, and it doesn't do this at the higher volumes.

Not getting an exchange, as I didn't like my first Android tablet experience. Touchscreen sensitivity not as good as iPad's ("input lag" feels much higher). Don't like the permanent on-screen bottom row of buttons (especially distracting when trying to web browse in landscape). I find the iPad's Youtube app interface to be better than the one on the Nexus, lol nice one Google.

I'll miss the decently speedy web browsing and the gorgeous screen (not just the high dpi, but also the superior contrast ratio), but the trade-offs aren't worth it.

did your nexus flex or creak? the touchscreen on mine spazzes out at times lol.

Damnit you guys are making me want to go pick one up now. I recently sold my nexus 7 because I never used it once I upgraded my phone. I feel like I'll still never use it so I'm trying to talk myself out of it but then that $30 off coupon gets posted and expires tomorrow. Ufbdhdhfn

It's going to be tough to find a store willing to override it at this point. The management cross channel helpdesks are all saying no to overriding, so unless you go to a store that has a reckless manager or a clueless one, it's not gunna happen.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose

Android has some annoying nuisances, I should have waited for the iPad 5, but it's a nice tablet for the price. Input is terrible. Have to touch things a few times for it to work, especially editing on GAF.

J-Rzez

Fantastic device. Incredible screen, can't be said enough. Device feels well built, no creaking. Zero touch issues. Super responsive and smooth. Incredibly happy with it, well worth the money. Will get a 2nd so I don't have to share with my gf.

I know it reads like an ad, but I think its that great of a device. Best small tab out there, hope their next 10" is as quality.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Impressions after my first day with the device: I love the improved build quality over the first nexus 7. It just feels very solid in the hand. The software is extremely responsive and fluid. The tablet app situation while improving is still behind iOS (like someone else said, still no redesigned YouTube app?). Still, it's a great tablet overall and I would highly recommend it.

Top Bottom