• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This thing is absolutely perfection for reading. It's almost as light as kindles (the e-ink ones!) and text is crisp as hell at small sizes.

Vyer

God, I'd forgotten how much I hate Android's text selection/cut/paste system.

This sold me on it:

dWvto3Y.png

What am I looking at here

Gonna return mine to Best Buy.

At low volumes, the speakers emit a continuous whitenoise/hiss/crackle. I didn't notice it earlier because I had the volume cranked, and it doesn't do this at the higher volumes.

Not getting an exchange, as I didn't like my first Android tablet experience. Touchscreen sensitivity not as good as iPad's ("input lag" feels much higher). Don't like the permanent on-screen bottom row of buttons (especially distracting when trying to web browse in landscape). I find the iPad's Youtube app interface to be better than the one on the Nexus, lol nice one Google.

I'll miss the decently speedy web browsing and the gorgeous screen (not just the high dpi, but also the superior contrast ratio), but the trade-offs aren't worth it.

iPad mini's speakers also have more bass.

Yeah I had the speaker issue. Honestly i think it kicked in after a few hours usage as i didnt notice it at first either and i'd played around at different volumes. Did an exchange, so far so good on the second one.

I'm enjoying it so far; definitely a good upgrade from the first gen. But I'll likely only use it until the retina mini comes out, whenever that may be.

Cloudy

Banned
the point of the wide bezels is pretty obvious if you use the tablet without a case. It's to hold it without touching the screen

White Man

Apologies if it's been asked, but does the screen sometimes quickly turn off after only a few seconds of idling for anyone else? It's happened a handful of times while reading.

Apologies if it's been asked, but does the screen sometimes quickly turn off after only a few seconds of idling for anyone else? It's happened a handful of times while reading.

I don't have a Nexus 7, but on Android you can change screen-standby time by going to settings>display>sleep. Maybe that would fix it.

JonnyBrad

For those wondering about the youtube app. There is a tablet optimised version. But its only used on 10" tablets. For whatever reason they like to use the phone apps on 7" tabs. The gmail app is the same. The recent overhaul changed it to be like the phone app on the n7.

Torraz

Have the 2012 Nexus, but this has never happened for me. The time has always been consistent. There are differences with regard to whether the tablet is plugged in or not, and I think some reader apps automatically extend the period before the screen turns off. My screen has never suddenly turned off though.

solarus

I always wondered the same. The ipad one is so much better. You'd think google would prioritize their own system
I knew there were almost no tablet apps but I was 100% confident that every single google app had been tablet optimised seeing as it is their OS, wtf why don't they care.

JonnyBrad

I knew there were almost no tablet apps but I was 100% confident that every single google app had been tablet optimised seeing as it is their OS, wtf why don't they care.

See my above post. There is a YouTube tablet app but only for 10 inch tablets. For whatever reason they prefer mobile size apps for 7" tabs. Its not lazy its just a weird choice.

solarus

See my above post. There is a YouTube tablet app but only for 10 inch tablets. For whatever reason they prefer mobile size apps for 7" tabs. Its not lazy its just a weird choice.
If google thinks themselves that phone apps are best suited to the size of this tablet then it does not set a very good precedent for others to make tablet apps. The google apps on my ipad have a great tablet interface, youtube included, I would expect the same here to be honest.

Not getting an exchange, as I didn't like my first Android tablet experience. Touchscreen sensitivity not as good as iPad's ("input lag" feels much higher).

I'll miss the decently speedy web browsing and the gorgeous screen (not just the high dpi, but also the superior contrast ratio), but the trade-offs aren't worth it.

I used mine more yesterday. And the complaints I have are the touch screen sensitivity and the browsing "speediness."

I'll touch places on the screen and seems like it doesn't register or it's not exactly what I wanted. In comparison, I don't have the issue with the iPad 4 or iPhone 5.

And the default browser isn't zippy as Safari.

Google has been in the tablet business for a few years (after the Honeycomb Motorola tablet), so it's a bit strange we still get phone apps on their 7" flagship (even more shame if they're just using them on the 10").

A few months ago I got suckered into all the hype regarding these Nexus devices. I'm not trying to come off as a crass fanboy but I truly believe the nexus line it's a budget electronic device at a budget price. I found the Nexus 4 to be one of the most poorly constructed smart phones on the market.

If you're leaving ios for one of these devices I think you're doing yourself a disservice. The iPad line really offers the ultimate tablet experience. If you're buying this knowing you're getting a budget tablet at a budget price than by all means.

I am currently running on a Samsung Galaxy S4 and with this size screen I've been pretty OK going tablet-less. I just sold my Nexus 10 right here.

womp

I always wondered the same. The ipad one is so much better. You'd think google would prioritize their own system

They *used* to and I don't know why they got rid of it. The original YouTube UI for the tablet back in the Transformer 101 and XOOM era was even better than the web version. You used to be able to 'hack' the original Nexus 7 to display it too.

This screen here allowed you to 'spin it' side to side to create a 360 carousel wall of videos...

Go into Settings then Display and change the timeout from 30 seconds to whatever you want.

Cheebo

Banned
Google has a separate team who does iOS apps and separate people who does Android apps. Someone from the iOS app team in a Verge interview last year said that they try to outdo the Android team and take pride if a review says their iOS Google app is better than the Android equivalent and there is no such policy at Google that the Android apps have to be "better".

Google has a separate team who does iOS apps and separate people who does Android apps. Someone from the iOS app team in a Verge interview last year said that they try to outdo the Android team and take pride if a review says their iOS Google app is better than the Android equivalent and there is no such policy at Google that the Android apps have to be "better".

Yeah, I know their are 2 different teams. I just think it's lame that their nexus branded tablet has the phone YouTube app.

I think it's great and shows support for the Apple platform, but it just looks so incompetent that their platform is getting the red-headed treatment.

Cheebo

Banned
I think it's great and shows support for the Apple platform, but it just looks so incompetent that their platform is getting the red-headed treatment.

Well there is nothing really they can do about it. If the iOS team does something better than the Android app team they aren't going to hold back the iOS team. Someone on iOS who uses google services and apps is just as valuable to them as a Android user so they aren't going to put walls up to make sure the iOS team doesn't outdo the Android team. If anything competition is good for both teams.

What the app looks like on one platform has little to do with the other since as far as it has been shown the teams are pretty separate within Google and both do their own thing.

MacrossD7

Neo Member
Never owned a tablet and with a 2 week vacation and plenty of traveling coming up I was looking for a device to keep me entertained and help me while I travel. Questions to the owners of this device how much battery life is taken from watching 1080p movies (not streamed)? I have a roughly 9 hour flight I need to fill and will probably watch a lot of video and listen to music. Also was thinking of using PPSSPP to play some games has anyone tried it on this device yet? Thanks for any input.

Unfortunately TouchWIZ is also for peasants.

I didn't mean to be offensive in the least so if I came off that way I apologize. I just already see the posts about laggy response and problems with awake state. Little things like this are to be expected at this price point in my opinion especially with the history of the Nexus line.

Cloudy

Banned
I had a weird thing happen last night where I suddenly lost all sound. Had to reboot it to fix it. Should I be worried?

RuGalz

Thanks to IOS team now we have a shittier version of Google Map on Android, WTG Google! /rant

rrs

I wonder with some sort of DPI hack can make the tablet interface YouTube work on the Nexus 7, it was some feature in a ROM I used on my phone.

Top Bottom