• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

The hangouts app is beautiful, usable, and seems optimized for this size. Hoping YouTube, gmail,etc, follow suit--- altho mobile gmail is also very good

solarus

Reposting since I got stuck on last post of previous page.
Anyone tried TV out yet and if so how is the lag? Is it still unsuitable for gaming?

RJM77

I wonder with some sort of DPI hack can make the tablet interface YouTube work on the Nexus 7, it was some feature in a ROM I used on my phone.

I believe Paranoid Android allows you to choose phone/tablet layouts for each individual app.

Vyer

Apologies if it's been asked, but does the screen sometimes quickly turn off after only a few seconds of idling for anyone else? It's happened a handful of times while reading.

I felt like I've seen this happen a few times, much faster than the setting. But I think I may have seen it on the one I exchanged.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I was one of those people that rolled their eyes when people said they couldn't (re) adjust to the iPad Mini's lower resolution screen after using higher resolution tablets. I totally get it now. Switching between the N7 screen and the Mini's is jarring.

reKon

Banned
I was one of those people that rolled their eyes when people said they couldn't (re) adjust to the iPad Mini's lower resolution screen after using higher resolution tablets. I totally get it now. Switching between the N7 screen and the Mini's is jarring.

Lol I went from the HTC One from a Galaxy Nexus. That showed me how bad some pentile displays were. I'm posting this on my HP touchpad and I can see every pixel right now. The HTC One spoiled me with its insanely good screen so that's why my next laptop will need to be high res.

Cloudy

Banned
The battery life is great but it takes quite a while to charge this device. I don't remember my ipad or 2012 Nexus taking this long

Updawgs

Anyone have experience with watching Twitch.tv streams on Android tablets? Interested in getting one of these guys, as a stream/web browser/skype device.

Okay, about to open this up for the first time
(fluffydelusions, you bastard!)

Anything specific I should know about with the initial loading, set up, etc?

Is it relatively painless?

Any specific things I should delete, options I should set, things to download ASAP, etc?

Talon

Any specific things I should delete, options I should set, things to download ASAP, etc?
If you set it up incorrectly, it will explode and give you syphilis. You should probably install the Ask.com toolbar and Norton Antivirus.

Nah, it's all self explanatory :)

okay is there a reason this thing just keeps restarting on me as im setting it up? Do I already have a faulty product?

Edit: Maybe it was just part of the process

It looks like its showing that it downloaded the 4.3 update or something, but do I have to manually choose to install it, or did it already install?

okay is there a reason this thing just keeps restarting on me as im setting it up? Do I already have a faulty product?

Edit: Maybe it was just part of the process

It looks like its showing that it downloaded the 4.3 update or something, but do I have to manually choose to install it, or did it already install?

Yeah it will reboot after the updates. You can check in settings>about phone to see version

3phemeral

Has anyone with a new Nexus 7 been experiencing multitouch acting strangely, or tapping multiple times when long pressed? A few people on XDA are having this issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZRiMiNzs0U

You can run this app to show exactly what input it is registering:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rn.yamtt&hl=en

I remember having very poor multitouch on my HTC Desire due to its digitizer, which could not be fixed by a software update, and after last year's build problems/laggyness I'm slightly concerned that this multitouch issue might not be limited to just a few tablets.

Hopefully it's nowhere near as bad as the one I experience from my lifebook occasionally:
P3yuf63.gif

Is there any chance I can get a good case for this before Aug 1st? I really need to bring this on a trip with me but I'm horrified of taking it naked

Mairu

What's the best tablet twitter app?

Also - anyone know how long it takes for the new N7 to show up in your devices list? I set it up about an hour ago and I'm still not seeing anything show up other than my old N7 on Google Play on the web

Also - anyone know how long it takes for the new N7 to show up in your devices list? I set it up about an hour ago and I'm still not seeing anything show up other than my old N7 on Google Play on the web

I always just used the regular twitter app. No idea on the other question however.

JordanKZ

It's Falcon Pro. Easily. It's actually free these days, but you have to use a bizarre hack to get it working if you don't already have a twitter API token.

Is there a good, safe SNES emulator I can download for this? And would it force you to use some kind of controller or are there associated touch controls?

Is there a good, safe SNES emulator I can download for this? And would it force you to use some kind of controller or are there associated touch controls?

Not on the Play Store (banned, probably Nintendo) but Robert Broglia makes the best emulators for Android. Here's Snes9x.

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex

You'll need to enable non play store app installations via the settings menu.

EDIT: Most of his other emulators should be on the Play Store, I just think it's the Nintendo stuff that's problematic for whatever reason. Oh and you can use a controller, or touch. I'd recommend a controller though.

RetroArch

Not on the Play Store (banned, probably Nintendo) but Robert Broglia makes the best emulators for Android. Here's Snes9x.

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex

You'll need to enable non play store app installations via the settings menu.

EDIT: Most of his other emulators should be on the Play Store, I just think it's the Nintendo stuff that's problematic for whatever reason. Oh and you can use a controller, or touch. I'd recommend a controller though.

more like GPL violations. some of the devs of the emulators he ports and adds frontends to don't like him.

why you shouldn't give robert broglia money

rc213

I've noticed some weird issues with Swype registering extra touches and ignoring some touches. Haven't noticed it on stock keyboard. Anyone else?

Thinking about getting one of these for emulator use. Could I use the slimport to connect the Nexus 7 to a tv and then pair a bluetooth controller to the tablet, and be able to play games on the tv without any issues?

Top Bottom