• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Okay so I'm planning on taking this thing on a week vacation across the planet, my issue being I don't have a case

Anyone have any suggestions for what to keep it in to protect it when not in use? Because I'm not sure if any stores are carrying any cases for the new version yet

I had a netbook that came with a small soft case...maybe something like that? Of course the nexus would be a bit smaller but it's something anyway.

SaskBoy

Happened to be at Staples (Canada) yesterday and I asked a sales associated when they would be getting the new Nexus 7. He said probably February. I got home and found out it was in their flyer for next week. smh at useless employees.

I preordered it from Futureshop.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So the mistaps are to the point that it's hitting return when I hit backspace, and in Maps a single finger swipe starts to zoom me out. And I just rooted this thing too :mad:

Hattori

Banned
The screen on this thing is phenomenal, I have it on 2-3% brightness and it's still freakin' bright almost like my vita. Definitely keeping this amazing piece of tech even if I get swayed back to iOS in the next couple months, it's too good to pass up.

Ephemeris

All the data plans for tablets are the same though pretty much? Phone plan won't work.

Hmm. Never really looked into that. Could throw a wrench in my plans.

I have an extended battery for my S3 which is amazing. Setting up hotspot with that would be more than fine.. but if I get the Moto X with its irreplaceable battery, I may run through the juice too quickly for my own tastes.

Hmm. Never really looked into that. Could throw a wrench in my plans.

I have an extended battery for my S3 which is amazing. Setting up hotspot with that would be more than fine.. but if I get the Moto X with its irreplaceable battery, I may run through the juice too quickly for my own tastes.

could use one of those external kits

The screen on this thing is phenomenal, I have it on 2-3% brightness and it's still freakin' bright almost like my vita. Definitely keeping this amazing piece of tech even if I get swayed back to iOS in the next couple months, it's too good to pass up.

it really is too bright for reading imo haha. I guess my kindle paperwhite still has its purpose (besides having endless battery life).

BiggNife

Are there any keyboards that go with 7 inch tablets? I'm planning on using it for notetaking and I'd prefer a bluetooth dealie to a touch-screen. It doesn't appear like there are any keyboards made specifically for the Nexus 7.

I've found a few Nexus 7 keyboard cases, but I'm not sure if cases made for the Gen 1 N7 will fit the Gen 2. Anyone know?

Schrade

Can the tablet be used temporarily without an account or signin or anything?

Basically, I want to test the screen on the tablet (looking for bad pixels) then set it up by rooting it and downloading useful apps and such then giving it to my friend for her birthday. I would like to do this without having any of my info on the device (ever).

So is this possible?

Do we have an Android rooting/unlocking bootloader thread to ask these questions in?

Yeah you can. You don't have to sign into any accounts to do anything. Pretty sure the play store doesn't require you to sign in either.

Schrade

Yeah you can. You don't have to sign into any accounts to do anything. Pretty sure the play store doesn't require you to sign in either.

Wow if true, that's awesome. Fucking Microsoft makes you sign in to install apps in Windows 8. Bastards. Or at least certain ones.

Also, another question - can you make the device 'ring' with Google Voice? i.e. basically turn it into a wireless connection only phone?

Is there a Google Voice App that will work with the tablet?

Man the in store accessory pickings are slim.

Yeap, doesn't help that people in the stores tell you accessories are for the new version when they are not :-l

Im wondering, any chance accessories will come in on the 30th which was the original release date?

Ever tried one?

yeah. they work. it's like having a portable wall outlet.

Nice! That's awesome - thanks. Looks like it does what I want :-D

If I can save .apk's out from the Play store then that's fine. I'll be setting up my tablet and then setting hers up so if I download the .apks while setting mine up it'll be trivial to install those on her tablet.

that may be a problem with paid apps... you know, piracy checks and all...

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I have no idea why this would happen. If you can get a new one, I would. Doesn't hurt to start clean. Who knows what could happen next.

I doubt they'll take it back now that the problem is fixed. If happens again I'll just return it. Thanks again.

Kenobi

I checked a few pages for an answer, but I didn't see it..if someone already mentioned it, my apologies.

Anyway, has anyone checked and see if the Tegra 3 games run at all once upgrading? Just wondering since I did buy a few on my older model. Or is it "Tegra 3 only" ?

Thanks

Vyer

Yeap, doesn't help that people in the stores tell you accessories are for the new version when they are not :-l

Im wondering, any chance accessories will come in on the 30th which was the original release date?

I hope so. I see that amazon case, but I'd definitely like to hold it before buying.

Man the in store accessory pickings are slim.

I'm going to try to head to BB to see if I can buy some sort of zip up case to just store it in. Something for a netbook or whatever. I just want to be able to transport it to work without fear of scratching it. Can buy something cheap now and get a better one later.

Schrade

Woot! Just got the notification from my Check4Change extension that my Nexus was delivered. Zipped home, picked it up and drove back to work. Time to start playing! (My first portable device other than PSP)

Hmm. First thing it did was download and install a system update after I entered my WiFi info. Hope they didn't just block unlocking/root access... grr.

mrhGB

Banned
I have the 16GB version of the 2012 Nexus 7, and running up against the storage limit is the main reason I'm upgrading.

Not what I wanted to hear, but I'm glad I asked before I bought the 16GB model. I have just whacked my DSi XL up onto eBay to pay for the extra storage, I never use it any way :D

samn

Why would I want it to get really bright at 2-3%?

Schrade

Fuuuck. I think my 32 gig unit has a piece of dust or something in the corner of the screen.

I can see a tiny little discolored spot. I downloaded Pixel Tester and cycled through the colors and it becomes more apparent in yellow/white/green/blue.

Fuck my picky eyes.

Schrade

So anyone have any experience with getting a replacement tablet from Amazon when there's a thing of dust under the screen?

1) How difficult is it? Do they even consider a piece of dust under the screen as defective?
2) Do they cross ship? (You keep using/still have defective and they send you new one then you send defective one back)
3) Any cost for this?
4) How do you ship it back? (take it to a shipping center and pay for it?)

So anyone have any experience with getting a replacement tablet from Amazon when there's a thing of dust under the screen?

1) How difficult is it? Do they even consider a piece of dust under the screen as defective?
2) Do they cross ship? (You keep using/still have defective and they send you new one then you send defective one back)
3) Any cost for this?
4) How do you ship it back? (take it to a shipping center and pay for it?)

give there customer service a ring. They have always been helpful and nice to me (but maybe its because i'm a Prime)

BFIB

Fuuuck. I think my 32 gig unit has a piece of dust or something in the corner of the screen.

I can see a tiny little discolored spot. I downloaded Pixel Tester and cycled through the colors and it becomes more apparent in yellow/white/green/blue.

Fuck my picky eyes.

Any screen imperfection, etc. I always recommend getting it replaced.

Fuck my picky eyes.

Return it

Jzero

I have the money but i'm not sure if i should buy it now or if something better for the price will come out soon. WHAT DO I DO?!

newsguy

I have the money but i'm not sure if i should buy it now or if something better for the price will come out soon. WHAT DO I DO?!

If your take the "something better for the price will come out soon" approach to electronics you will never buy anything.

Top Bottom