• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Matugi

So I see that they (Amazon) have the 32 GB back in stock, but for some reason I can't get the free 2 day shipping through Prime. Is that because they're selling through TigerDirect right now?

I got to fiddle with one of these at Best Buy tonight. Very crisp screen. Decent responsiveness. Web pages looked good in both landscape and normal viewing. Checked out The Walking Dead: 400 Days Gametrailers review and while the main page took a while to load the video fired up pretty quick and looked great.

I was bummed that BB didn't have the Kindle app loaded, so I didn't get to see what books will look like on it.

One question I have is whether all of the Android apps that I have -- including things like Swiftkey -- will work on the tablet. I love typing with Swiftkey on my S3, so I can see using it on the N7 as well vs. buying a keyboard.

For the moment I continue to plod along with my iPad 1, but I'm getting ready to upgrade... and am strongly considering the new N7 vs. a $600 iPad or even the iPad Mini. I definitely like the N7's form factor over the Mini's. Easy to hold in one hand and even grip it (I have big hands).

White Man

What's everyone using for a VLC-style "plays everything" video player? I can't seem to find one. I doubt there's anything that supports chromecast at this point, but supporting that is the dream at this point.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really recommend everyone with a new Nexus try GMD Gestures, it's the greatest implementaion of custom finger swipes and gestures. Instead of the iPad's 5-finger close, I use a 4-finger, and recent tasks with a 3-finger swipe up works great. Get rid of the nav bar and you're set. I couldn't live without the gestures now.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
This is a pretty nice case for a really cheap price. I had the original one for the first Nexus, and it fits it nicely:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4OKXPU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have this case for the first Nexus 7 and highly recommend it. I don't like any case that borders the screen and makes it troublesome to swipe freely, especially for notifications. This case has a few tabs that hold onto the front but otherwise leaves it completely open

Not sure what color to pick though...

Grabbed this ghost leopard print sleeve just now from food shop: http://foofshop.com

7318803646_2293fbf229_c.jpg

Would prefer a case of some sort from Spigen, but this will do.

wow what the fuck, really am tempted to return this :/

Netflix froze and crashed my nexus 7, it was frozen on a scene for 8 minutes before restarting

damn wish I got this from amazon instead of best buy, those guys won't do anything for me

really disappointed at all this freezing and crashing.

BFIB

Netflix froze and crashed my nexus 7, it was frozen on a scene for 8 minutes before restarting

damn wish I got this from amazon instead of best buy, those guys won't do anything for me

You have 14 days for returns and exchanges. Why would they deny you exchanging when you are well within the return policy?

wow what the !@#$, really am tempted to return this :/

I just looked. I have a 30-day window to return the Nexus 7 from Amazon.

And usually, they're customer service is pretty good. They usually do their best to satisfy the customer.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose

What did they say exactly? I might try to return mine?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Mine isn't freezing, but the screen is constantly making input errors, just typing this post I had to delete extra letters and mistyping that came out of my taps, when I'm very used to N7 typing. Simple things like running my finger up the screen can result in it thinking im pinch-zooming, too. Anyone else have these problems? This screen feels so much slipperier than the first N7, maybe that's partly to blame?

Mine isn't freezing, but the screen is constantly making input errors, just typing this post I had to delete extra letters and mistyping that came out of my taps, when I'm very used to N7 typing. Simple things like running my finger up the screen can result in it thinking im pinch-zooming, too. Anyone else have these problems? This screen feels so much slipperier than the first N7, maybe that's partly to blame?

One of my complaints is the touch sensitivity/inputs. Sometimes I tap on something, and the device doesn't register it.

And it's not 100 accurate about positioning either. But...it's a $230-$260 tablet. I really don't expect much from Apple competitors (though I hear the Surface is decent).

samn

This is a problem a few people are having:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus7/comments/1j6ebi/erraticjumpy_multitouch_on_new_nexus_7_making/

Mairu

One of my complaints is the touch sensitivity/inputs. Sometimes I tap on something, and the device doesn't register it.

And it's not 100 accurate about positioning either. But...it's a $230-$260 tablet. I really don't expect much from Apple competitors (though I hear the Surface is decent).

I'm noticing the same as well as far as touch sensitivity

What did they say exactly? I might try to return mine?

haha just past experiences with best buy. giving me attitude and treating me like scum even with sealed products in the past.

several MA ones, when i see people return things without a receipt too :/

yeah the touch sensitivity has been wonkey and struggling.

i'll give it another day. vice city all day.

also heats up a ton when playing 0_o

haha just past experiences with best buy. giving me attitude and treating me like scum even with sealed products in the past.

several MA ones, when i see people return things without a receipt too :/

yeah the touch sensitivity has been wonkey and struggling.

i'll give it another day. vice city all day.

sounds like a lemon tbh.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose

I have the same problem. You have to touch it just right to work.

Vyer

I haven't really noticed touchscreen issues, unless that's what's causing me to accidentally mess up tabs in Chrome every once and a while. I just thought that was Chrome being lame.

I've noticed it getting warm even just web browsing

U2NUMB

Really enjoying the tablet but man the battery life just seems so bad.

I will say that I've noticed the touch issues often. Biggest issue was reading comics and at times it took 4 or more taps to get the page to turn. Hope this is a software issue that can be fixed.

What do you expect them to do for you, fix it? Just bring your receipt and exchange it, or if they're out of stock take the money back and find somewhere else with it in stock.

If you have the receipt they can't deny the return unless you dropped it or clearly spilled something inside of it. When you're within return policy retail stores never give you an issue...

mattiewheels

Really enjoying the tablet but man the battery life just seems so bad.

I will say that I've noticed the touch issues often. Biggest issue was reading comics and at times it took 4 or more taps to get the page to turn. Hope this is a software issue that can be fixed.
I wondered how it could get thinner and have a better screen, and maintain the same kind of battery life. So far it seems so so, but I've been using it a lot so it's hard to judge.

Chrome is really sucking my battery dry. I've checked the battery and it says it is using 57% of the battery? This is after I've disabled auto sync, tilt scrolling, and Google location services.

BFIB

Chrome is really sucking my battery dry. I've checked the battery and it says it is using 57% of the battery? This is after I've disabled auto sync, tilt scrolling, and Google location services.

Chrome has always been a battery hog. I switched to Dolphin a while back and saw a big increase on my Nexus 10 and HTC One.

Karkador

Banned
I really recommend everyone with a new Nexus try GMD Gestures, it's the greatest implementaion of custom finger swipes and gestures. Instead of the iPad's 5-finger close, I use a 4-finger, and recent tasks with a 3-finger swipe up works great. Get rid of the nav bar and you're set. I couldn't live without the gestures now.

Do you need to be rooted to use this? I'm interested in using it on my N7 2012

mattiewheels

Do you need to be rooted to use this? I'm interested in using it on my N7 2012
Ack, sorry. Forgot that it requires root. But I always root instantly anyway because of things like PlayStation Mobile and taking the navbar away.

e_i

What's everyone using for a VLC-style "plays everything" video player? I can't seem to find one. I doubt there's anything that supports chromecast at this point, but supporting that is the dream at this point.

Diceplayer works for me. MXPlayer is great too, but doesn't have 4.3 support yet.

Top Bottom