• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Schrade

give there customer service a ring. They have always been helpful and nice to me (but maybe its because i'm a Prime)

Yeah, I'm Prime too. Just did a chat with them.

Any screen imperfection, etc. I always recommend getting it replaced.

Yeah. He said replacement will take 3-4 weeks. Ugh. I asked him to put be 'in line' to get a replacement.

Here's what he said:
Ricky: I am very sorry to hear that. I can process a replacement for your order but it usually ships within 3 to 4 weeks now as we are still waiting stock from our supplier. If you may keep the item, I can offer a partial refund.

Me: Ugh. Is there any way I can get in line for a replacement and use it [My unit with the dust particle in it] until that's ready/ships to me?

Ricky:Yes, that will work. I will process a replacement now. You can return the one you have once you received the replacement.

RkOwnage

Returned my Galaxy Note 10.1 for this, I wanted my first Stock google experience, and the smaller tablet size actually appealed to me. I like the 7 inch screen, easier to hold, and the picture quality is amazing.

I tried to redownload some of my apps, and it says HBO Go isn't compatible. Is this a temporary thing since the tablet is so new, or is it not able to be run on a Nexus tablet? Just curious!

Thanks-

BFIB

Returned my Galaxy Note 10.1 for this, I wanted my first Stock google experience, and the smaller tablet size actually appealed to me. I like the 7 inch screen, easier to hold, and the picture quality is amazing.

I tried to redownload some of my apps, and it says HBO Go isn't compatible. Is this a temporary thing since the tablet is so new, or is it not able to be run on a Nexus tablet? Just curious!

Thanks-

HBO needs to update the app.

Can someone take some full page views of some comics? Comixology has some freebies on their app.

Just ordered my first tablet :D

You guys with the crashes are worrying me though.

It's all part of the experience.

The dual band wifi works great with my ac router.

zA5F7Dp.png
ignore the volume. couldn't remember what buttons to take screenshot lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm having the hardest time finding impressions about the hdmi-out feature, or suggestions for what to get to make it happen. Just want to know stuff like responsiveness, ability to turn the screen off, etc.

todd360

I'm having the hardest time finding impressions about the hdmi-out feature, or suggestions for what to get to make it happen. Just want to know stuff like responsiveness, ability to turn the screen off, etc.

lol both my sister and I have the new nexus 7 and I feel lost about how to do wireless charging and the hdmi out stuff. Don't know what apps to get. Its my first android device. I really like it though. Its really zippy.

So in general do people treat tablets like this like a phone and never really shut it down? Or is it a better idea to completely turn it off if you know you aren't using it?

Husker86

So in general do people treat tablets like this like a phone and never really shut it down? Or is it a better idea to completely turn it off if you know you aren't using it?
I never shut it down. Standby time is great on most tablets so unless you absolutely know you won't be using it for a week or longer then just leaving it on is more convenient.

I never shut off my phone, iPad or Nexus 7.

Yeah I was thinking that, but I noticed keeping it asleep overnight its now down to like 63% battery, seems to be due a lot to WiFi though...

Also is there an option where I can make a WiFi shortcut button? Or the same for airplane mode?

Hattori

Banned
Yeah I was thinking that, but I noticed keeping it asleep overnight its now down to like 63% battery, seems to be due a lot to WiFi though...

Also is there an option where I can make a WiFi shortcut button? Or the same for airplane mode?
There's a toggle widget that lets you turn of gps, wifi, sync etc.

VPhys

That's insane leakage even if you have Wi-Fi on. I used to leave my iPad on all night with Wi-Fi and it would only use one or 2%. FWIW I haven't had the nexus long enough to test it but I haven't seen that kind of leakage just from Wi-Fi with the screen being off. But now you have me curious and I will see how it fares overnight.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
lol both my sister and I have the new nexus 7 and I feel lost about how to do wireless charging and the hdmi out stuff. Don't know what apps to get. Its my first android device. I really like it though. Its really zippy.
I think they're just leaving people to find their own solution for wireless charging (got a Nokia on ebay for $25), same with HDMI-out? I'd just like to hear any impressions about it...

That's insane leakage even if you have Wi-Fi on. I used to leave my iPad on all night with Wi-Fi and it would only use one or 2%. FWIW I haven't had the nexus long enough to test it but I haven't seen that kind of leakage just from Wi-Fi with the screen being off. But now you have me curious and I will see how it fares overnight.

I know, it made me nervous, it said idle was about 30 percent of the usage thus far and wifi was 30 percent. When I checked it this afternoon it was down to like 63% (I set it up yesterday, powered it up to 100% and did some stuff, played around with it, downloaded a few things, and then started uploading videos from my laptop, not sure how much was used when I put it away).

So it was like 15 to 18 hours idle by the time I checked it

Does this sound off to anyone? I'm always nervous I got a dud when I buy electronics like this...

reKon

Banned
I know, it made me nervous, it said idle was about 30 percent of the usage thus far and wifi was 30 percent. When I checked it this afternoon it was down to like 63% (I set it up yesterday, powered it up to 100% and did some stuff, played around with it, downloaded a few things, and then started uploading videos from my laptop, not sure how much was used when I put it away).

Does this sound off to anyone? I'm always nervous I got a dud when I buy electronics like this...

It shouldn't be losing this much. You need to download an app like gsam battery and check out what's causing your tablet to wake. Have you installed a lot of apps yet?

Not sure what you have installed but if you have various apps and widgets that connect to the Internet to fetch data that could be it.

Not sure what you have installed but if you have various apps and widgets that connect to the Internet to fetch data that could be it.

All I've really installed so far is netflix and VLC

I did some browsing, some testing of VLC and Netflix (didn't really watch more than 5 minutes of video, and then I uploaded a bunch of videos from my laptop to this. After that I just hit the power button to put it to sleep, put it back in the box and ignored it for the night until I came back from work this afternoon and checked it. This isn't sounding too awesome. I did just shut off the gps from that widget, but I dunno how much of an effect that would have. It said most of the battery was used up during idle time and wifi usage...

Also, on a side note, I have a little icon on top saying that a system update downloaded (touch to install), but it takes me to install the 4.3 thing, which I checked and it looks like I already have. Any reason I shouldn't just do this thing again and see what happens?

All I've really installed so far is netflix and VLC

I did some browsing, some testing of VLC and Netflix (didn't really watch more than 5 minutes of video, and then I uploaded a bunch of videos from my laptop to this. After that I just hit the power button to put it to sleep, put it back in the box and ignored it for the night until I came back from work this afternoon and checked it. This isn't sounding too awesome. I did just shut off the gps from that widget, but I dunno how much of an effect that would have. It said most of the battery was used up during idle time and wifi usage...

Also, on a side note, I have a little icon on top saying that a system update downloaded (touch to install), but it takes me to install the 4.3 thing, which I checked and it looks like I already have. Any reason I shouldn't just do this thing again and see what happens?

What version does it show you have in settings/about?

What version does it show you have in settings/about?

Android Version is 4.3

I should note that when I turned it back on today, I noticed a bunch of google stuff downloaded overnight (google+ tried to download and failed for some reason), maybe this was part of the reason for the battery usage...

RuGalz

Well, shit.

Its definitely more noticeable at lower volumes, but its still always present. At slightly higher volumes and a decent distance away from the tablet it's tolerable.

So annoying.

I haven't used mine late at night yet but putting my ear to it I can hear it at low volume. I think mine won't be noticeable once I put a cover on this thing; advantage for back facing speaker? lol... It's only coming out from one side of speakers too for some reason.

Vyer

I haven't used mine late at night yet but putting my ear to it I can hear it at low volume. I think mine won't be noticeable once I put a cover on this thing; advantage for back facing speaker? lol... It's only coming out from one side of speakers too for some reason.

What concerns me is that it seems to be worse intermittently; suddenly watching a YouTube video today it kicked in very noticeably and I had been thinking this one was much better after getting it exchanged over the weekend.

Blah.

so in two hours my battery is down to 98% from 100%...

49% of that is Screen (time on being 14m 11s)
21% is Wi-Fi
20% is Tablet idle
6% is Mediaserver
3% is android system
2% is Android OS

I didn't really do anything once I charged it to 100%, just periodically woke it up to check the battery.

Is this normal/bad/something simple to adjust in options?

Brightness is set to auto

Don't ignore it. That update was available before launch. Yes, it's weird that it says updating to 4.3, but it's an actual update, install it. For all we know it could fix some weird pre-launch battery issues.

Thanks, I did it and it seemed to have done some stuff it probably was supposed to. Think this will help with my battery situation? During the update it said it was "optimizing" my apps. I also read something about going into all the google apps and doing some stuff to the settings to ensure they are properly set up? Something about the system not going into "deep sleep" because of apps doing stuff?

Maybe I'm just over exaggerating this battery thing, but I'll see where its at tomorrow morning

Husker86

You can probably just ignore it but if you really want you can click it lol

You guys must have good hearing, sound seems fine to me lol. P.S I did work around F/A-18's or 5 years :p

Don't ignore it. That update was available before launch. Yes, it's weird that it says updating to 4.3, but it's an actual update, install it. For all we know it could fix some weird pre-launch battery issues.

RuGalz

Def this. I can't find the thread but someone mentioned that kernel build came with it right out of the box has wrong signature key or something so it causes issues with a lot of apps. That's the main reason for Day 1 update.

Rooted, installed AOSP browser and flash apk. I'm finally all good to go! Hopefully CM10 gets ported soon. It improved the battery life on my N10 by about 25% at least.

Top Bottom