• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

womp

As a long time Android user...for people new to Android and looking for a great browser, grab Boat Browser. Great Flash support as well.

Dolphin is overrated. :p

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.boatbrowser.free&hl=en

Unfortunately Chrome for Android still, quite frankly, sucks....bookmarks and syncing be damned.

Will rooting cause nasty side effects like jailbreaking does on iOS?

No, because rooting is actually part of the OS and not 'hacking'. In layman's terms, it is basically like switching your profile to administrative mode in Windows. Nexus devices are meant to be rooted for all intents and purposes.

NomarTyme

I got to fiddle with one of these at Best Buy tonight. Very crisp screen. Decent responsiveness. Web pages looked good in both landscape and normal viewing. Checked out The Walking Dead: 400 Days Gametrailers review and while the main page took a while to load the video fired up pretty quick and looked great.

I was bummed that BB didn't have the Kindle app loaded, so I didn't get to see what books will look like on it.

One question I have is whether all of the Android apps that I have -- including things like Swiftkey -- will work on the tablet. I love typing with Swiftkey on my S3, so I can see using it on the N7 as well vs. buying a keyboard.

For the moment I continue to plod along with my iPad 1, but I'm getting ready to upgrade... and am strongly considering the new N7 vs. a $600 iPad or even the iPad Mini. I definitely like the N7's form factor over the Mini's. Easy to hold in one hand and even grip it (I have big hands).
This is what I'm hoping for. Gonna check it out again this week.

Oyashiro

Just got mine in the mail today. It's really a great piece of hardware (dat screen) and I love android. My issue so far is not with the tablet itself, but tablets in general... I have a MacBook Air and a high end smartphone (HTC One). I just can't figure out what to use the tablet for. Sure, I can browse reddit, watch netflix, tweet, etc, but I can already do all of those things on my laptop and phone. I just dont know if I can justify the price to get something that does what I can already do. Im gonna give it a fair chance for a week or two, but at the moment, Im thinking of returning it. This is my first tablet, if that wasn't evident.

Karkador

Banned
No, because rooting is actually part of the OS and not 'hacking'. In layman's terms, it is basically like switching your profile to administrative mode in Windows. Nexus devices are meant to be rooted for all intents and purposes.

What's the best way to do it?

sangreal

So I see that they (Amazon) have the 32 GB back in stock, but for some reason I can't get the free 2 day shipping through Prime. Is that because they're selling through TigerDirect right now?

Prime is only for stuff sold or fulfilled by Amazon, not 3rd party stuff listed on Amazon

Argyle

Yeah found out the hard way when you don't do that. Semi-bricked Nexus 7 within 30 minutes of getting it is not fun lol.

I did this too. For anyone who also did this, I had at least flashed TWRP recovery at that point, so I was able to go in there and wipe the relevant partitions (I think what happens is that when the device is unlocked, all the partitions are now unreadable as they were encrypted, and the next boot hangs when it can't read them correctly).

Whatever you do at this point, don't wipe /system! (Have the factory images been posted yet?) You want to wipe /data, /cache, and the Dalvik cache. You'll probably have to go into Advanced Wipe to do the job properly.

U2NUMB

I was browsing the web last night... seems to be about 10% screen time per hour... To me that's not bad.

Well I wonder if I just have too much going on at the same time. I tend to do that with tablets but I have been spoiled with the Surface which has god like battery life. I in no way expect that sort of life with the footprint of this tablet it just seems to drain far faster than what you are getting.

Either way I am really loving it overall.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
We have one of the studio's games running on the device and it looks fookin' sexy.

We can appreciate texture details we never saw on other devices before. Very impressive.

I did this too. For anyone who also did this, I had at least flashed TWRP recovery at that point, so I was able to go in there and wipe the relevant partitions (I think what happens is that when the device is unlocked, all the partitions are now unreadable as they were encrypted, and the next boot hangs when it can't read them correctly).

Whatever you do at this point, don't wipe /system! (Have the factory images been posted yet?) You want to wipe /data, /cache, and the Dalvik cache. You'll probably have to go into Advanced Wipe to do the job properly.

I don't think I was able to do any sort of wipe on /data or /cache. I think I went into Advanced Wipe and did a full blown reformat. Worked fine from there.

reKon

Banned
IMAG0264.jpg

Yesssss

newsguy

Day 2 with the 32 gig and really loving it. Even owning a GS4 already, I can appreciate how crisp the screen is. Its phenomenal for books.

equap

Banned
what's the best way to watch mkv files on my computer with this thing?

i tried the vlc direct pro app and it doesn't work :(

3phemeral

I hope I can get my hand on the LTE version sometime in the near future. My TF101 is horrible. I've brought it back from the dead so many times, I wonder how I even deal with it still.

RuGalz

getting 6h 32m screen time total 23h 38m uptime with 40% battery left, that's pretty good in my book. mostly web browsing and a bit of YouTube, Facebook and puzzle dragon.

womp

I finally see why everyone wants an SD slot.

If you root you can plug an OTG cable into the charge slot and plug a thumb drive or other external memory option in through that for the 7 to access. :)

Those OTG cables can be had for a $1.50

And take your 7 back for an exchange already, it is a lemon. Mine has been running like a champ since getting it Friday.

Is it me, or this tablet is most comfortable in vertical position. I can type with both of my thumbs, but typing horizontally is difficult.

RuGalz

Is it me, or this tablet is most comfortable in vertical position. I can type with both of my thumbs, but typing horizontally is difficult.

I honestly can't decide which orientation I prefer yet. On n10, it was definitely landscape. with n7 I keep going back and forth. I Swype so I don't use two thumbs...

hemtae

I got mine today and I've been playing with it for a few hours. Definitely smoother than my rooted old one. I'll root it tomorrow and her all that stuff out of the way.

I had forgot how much I dislike the side tapping on chrome.

gokieks

From reading other forums and flat out looking at the specs, is the new N7 is basically an N4? Comparatively speaking?

Similar, but not exactly the same. The SoC is improved - despite being called an Snapdragon S4 Pro, it's different in that it has Krait 300 cores instead of the Krait 200 cores that the N4's S4 Pro has, making it more like a lower-clocked Snapdragon 600.

And that Forbes article is just all kinds of god awful, even coming from someone who would still prefer iOS for an entertainment-centric tablet with all else being equal (I bought an N7 because it's a very good device at a great price that's available now, and there's no guarantee of an iPad Mini resolution bump this year - so I figured I'd just get one now and reconsider down the road if necessary).

Will rooting cause nasty side effects like jailbreaking does on iOS?

It will make your phone or device infinitely more awesome.

Flashing roms on the other hand.... Unless you're using an enhanced stock rom there is bound to be issues.

CM10.1 was still broken as shit on my E LTE. On my Galaxy S4 it didn't have some of the stock features I like, or MHL support.

Has anyone else had this problem?
My Nexus 7 has crashed 4 times so far, and this last time, after it automatically rebooted, I get this message.

"Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."

I guess this is a common problem with Android devices?
I looked up fixes, but none of the ones I could find seem to work for me.

Looks like this one is going back to Best Buy.

Has anyone else had this problem?
My Nexus 7 has crashed 4 times so far, and this last time, after it automatically rebooted, I get this message.

"Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."

I guess this is a common problem with Android devices?
I looked up fixes, but none of the ones I could find seem to work for me.

Looks like this one is going back to Best Buy.

It's not a hardware issue so I don't think there is a need to return it. Have you tried removing your account/rebooting then creating a new one? Or if anything factory reset. Not sure what else you have tried.

It's not a hardware issue so I don't think there is a need to return it. Have you tried removing your account/rebooting then creating a new one? Or if anything factory reset. Not sure what else you have tried.

Factory reset was the first thing I tried but with the error message popping up it wouldn't allow me to reset. I tried a few different things, but anyways I got it to reset after trying again, so hopefully I won't have any more problems.

Now I just have to re-download all the apps I had and enter all my passwords again, ugh.

Top Bottom