• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

This guy did an amazing job that anyone can follow easily...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1cD-JXRGX8&feature=share

Be aware though that unlocking your bootloader will wipe your device.

I'm assuming that there's no way to root your device without unlocking your bootloader... Correct? Is there an easy way to back up your device and then restore afterward?

Also would I need to root N7 again after updating it to 4.4 for example?

(I realize how stupid these questions might sound, but I'm new to Android)

Just noticed that amazon placed my replacement order. saw it on the order page but man. why did it have to be OOS. I won't send in my n7 just yet. gonna use this for a bit until closer to the cut off date before returning.

Anywhere selling decent cheap cases that are shipping sooner than in 2 weeks?

I like the look/style of this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4OKXPU/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (I think my original n7 case was this or at least it was the same style) but I'm not really in a rush to order it when it doesn't ship until aug 13

idk about this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3ZYWUM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

the slim fit looks like the one that allows the n7 to be snapped in by the case corners.

Threi

notag
personally i prefer using wugfresh's nexus root toolkit, so that i can preserve the stock recovery (and thus keep OTA updates functioning)

And then anything i need to flash in recovery i do using temp TWRP.

*edit* But Wugfresh didn't update it completely yet so the best you can do with it currently is unlock your bootloader, you can't root it quite yet.

*edit2* what i mean is using the "fastboot boot xxx.img" command instead of "fastboot write xxx.img".

Okay, I really need a way to protect my nexus because I'm going on vacation to the other side of earth on Friday and no stores have a case for this

Anyone have any suggestions that are better than literally just bringing it in the box it comes in?

BFIB

I finally got some good hands on time with this earlier from a co-worker. Brought my Nexus 10 to compare.

I love that new screen. Compared some comics, and yeah, the biggest issue I had w/ the older N7 is gone: the ability to read in full page views. No issues whatsoever on the N7.

I like my N10, but I really like the portabililty of the 7....decisions decisions.....

I finally got some good hands on time with this earlier from a co-worker. Brought my Nexus 10 to compare.

I love that new screen. Compared some comics, and yeah, the biggest issue I had w/ the older N7 is gone: the ability to read in full page views. No issues whatsoever on the N7.

I like my N10, but I really like the portabililty of the 7....decisions decisions.....
Welp, looks like I'm getting a Nexus 7 when they release in the UK, then!

personally i prefer using wugfresh's nexus root toolkit, so that i can preserve the stock recovery (and thus keep OTA updates functioning)

And then anything i need to flash in recovery i do using temp TWRP.

*edit* But Wugfresh didn't update it completely yet so the best you can do with it currently is unlock your bootloader, you can't root it quite yet.

*edit2* what i mean is using the "fastboot boot xxx.img" command instead of "fastboot write xxx.img".

you could always flash the OTA rom yourself as well

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2382965

Bullza2o

I got mine 2 days ago but an hour after playing with it, my modem broke. I don't have internet until Friday. So right now I have a useless tablet :(

RuGalz

Okay, I really need a way to protect my nexus because I'm going on vacation to the other side of earth on Friday and no stores have a case for this

Anyone have any suggestions that are better than literally just bringing it in the box it comes in?

Get a cheap N7 (2012) sleeve. It'll be slightly bigger but you are just using it for storage anyway.

You don't take OTA (over the air) update afterward. You wait for someone to release a rooted 4.4 image.

womp

I'm assuming that there's no way to root your device without unlocking your bootloader... Correct? Is there an easy way to back up your device and then restore afterward?

(I realize how stupid these questions might sound, but I'm new to Android)

He shows you how to install a custom recovery (TWRP, which is the best) one of which's features is to completely back up your current tablet to the device itself OR even better to a thumb drive for restore later if necessary.

If you take an OTA you would have to root again because OTA removes root but it isn't normally an issue. But yes, you have to unlock your bootloader to root. You'll see how most manufacturers lock theirs down (HTC, Samsung, Motorola) and it tends to piss off the Android dev community until someone figures out the encryption, Nexus products though? 2 min affair out of the box.

You don't take OTA (over the air) update afterward. You wait for someone to release a rooted 4.4 image.

Or take the OTA and simply re-root it.

Mairu

Are there any tweaks or what not to dl for something similar to ipadmini's edge detection?

holding it across the back with one hand is kinda awkward.

I'm interested in the same - it's also one of the reasons why I'm looking for a specific kind of case. Probably will cave on the one I like and just have to wait until Mid-late August for it to arrive.

So as the family IT guy so to speak, I'm helping my mother setup her new Nexus 7. How long does it usually take to fully charge, connected to the AC wall outlet?

Edit: First impressions is that it's sexy as fuck. I have the iPad 3rd generation and I'm jealous lol.

Mrcapcom

Gonna trade in my 3DSXL and hopefully pick mines up at Gamestop tonight. Tons of GS's near me have the 32GB in stock lets home they don't disappear

So as the family IT guy so to speak, I'm helping my mother setup her new Nexus 7. How long does it usually take to fully charge, connected to the AC wall outlet?

Edit: First impressions is that it's sexy as fuck. I have the iPad 3rd generation and I'm jealous lol.
A year. Charging is real slow.

cdkee

Banned
To someone who has one of these:

How is it for reading books? Will it kill your eyes? Debating whether to get a Kindle or just add 100 and go for this.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
So I returned my device. I'm not sure if I want to get another N7. While I liked the device, the screen size bugged me. I might wait to see what Android has in store with KLP and N10.

As much as some seem to dislike large bezels, the one on the iPad is great you can rest your thumb on the side perfectly. Makes it easier to hold. Might consider the iPad5, but the price scares my budget. Hopefully Apple starts to open their system a bit. I loved that I could download and open zip files on my N7.

So I returned my device. I'm not sure if I want to get another N7. While I liked the device, the screen size bugged me. I might wait to see what Android has in store with KLP and N10.

As much as some seem to dislike large bezels, the one on the iPad is great you can rest your thumb on the side perfectly. Makes it easier to hold. Might consider the iPad5, but the price scares my budget. Hopefully Apple starts to open their system a bit. I loved that I could download and open zip files on my N7.

Yeah, that won't happen

Mine is here.

Dat screen. I haven't had a chance to really fiddle with it. I got it maybe an hour before I had to go to work, and I still had to get ready. But I did set up the Wifi and everything. Dat screen! Hnnngh!

Can't wait till I get home and I can really play with it.

RuGalz

Or take the OTA and simply re-root it.

I thought different version may have different way of rooting? Either way, for simplicity I find it much easier to just wait for rooted image which usually comes out on the same day anyway.

Schrade

To someone who has one of these:

How is it for reading books? Will it kill your eyes? Debating whether to get a Kindle or just add 100 and go for this.

It will kill your eyes if you use it in Daytime Mode at Night. The screen can be eye-searingly bright.

The Google Play Reader has a night mode though which allows you to set the screen to its dimmest setting as well as setting a black background with white text. MUCH more comfortable that way. Trying to read with black on white in that mode though ...still too bright.

It's awesome to use as an eBook reader though. I've tested the builtin book reader and then another one called Aldiko that can read eBooks directly from your internal storage. (Google Play Reader doesn't do that.. you have to upload them to your Google Play account)

Aldiko seems to be a bit laggy with page turning and doesn't have the nice animated page turning either. It does seem to have more options with regards to screen/text color and customizability.

I'm still new to all of this though so I'm sure there's lots of other eBook reading apps out there that might be better.

GutsOfThor

Picked mine up today and I'm impressed with the display! Text is crisp and clear!

What are some good cases for this baby people can recommend?

WSJ said:
Another drawback: In my test, the new Nexus 7's battery life was underwhelming. Compared with the same battery test of the iPad Mini and first Nexus 7, it fell short at just six hours; the others clocked in at 10 hours and 27 minutes and 10 hours and 44 minutes, respectively. Google claims the battery life can last over nine hours, but the company tests it in Airplane mode (Internet connection off), with screen brightness set to 44% while playing video. I keep Wi-Fi on in the background and screen brightness at 75% while playing video.

Sort of sucks.

Top Bottom