• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I bought one of those Qi pads from Samsung. I'm looking for a 2A wall charger to power it. This one looks good:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091XI1SU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

but there's a spate of reviews that say it caught on fire or died. Yet it's still four stars with 5000+ reviewers. Does anyone have experience with it? Is there funny business going on?
If it matters to you, I found a Nokia qi pad on eBay for $25, and it included the official charger.

Mairu

So what is Mediaserver and why is it zapping my battery life so much?

pLhC9LT.jpg

The only thing I did with my N7 today was read for ~25 minutes on the bus, and then it sat in my bag for the rest of the day.

edit: sorry gigantic image

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

The only thing I did with my N7 today was read for ~25 minutes on the bus, and then it sat in my bag for the rest of the day.

Try to disable Google Current's auto-syncing functionality.

Jzero

Damn, so many bug complaints in this thread and on Amazon. Hopefully i don't regret buying it when i receive it.

Karkador

Banned
I kind of feel like 4.3 is a boggy release overall, from what I've seen of it with my N7 2012. Maybe these issues will go away with an update?

White Man

My big complaint is that it's not the best device for Chromecast. I feel kind of mean for holding that against it, but I figured they'd work swell together since they launched at the same time.

rc213

So what kind of battery life is everyone seeing so far?

I've seen people posting 7-9 on screen time which is insane as mine barely makes it past 5hrs.

RuGalz

Got about 8 hrs screen time before I threw it on charger. (still had about 20+% left)

If you are using chrome... don't, it's a huge battery hog.

asdad123

Does anyone's make a rattling noise when you place it down quickly (for eample, tossing it a couple inches onto a carpet or sofa). It sounds like its coming from the power button/volume control area.

Maybe theyre loose? If anyone else has this, It won't matter to me but if its only me, I'll go exchange it. It's bugging me a little. I only noticed it last night when I placed it on my sofa quickly. It just rattled a little

This may be a silly question, but did you leave your earbuds/headphones plugged into it the whole time? I've seen it where that service will stay active when they're plugged in even if there's no music being played.

My big complaint is that it's not the best device for Chromecast. I feel kind of mean for holding that against it, but I figured they'd work swell together since they launched at the same time.
I don't have a Chromecast yet, but what do you mean that it doesn't work well together with it? I thought it was basically up to apps to support it, not devices.

Thanks in advance

Lothars

I really wish the 32 gb was available in canada now, I really want to get the 32 gb instead of the 16 gb that's only available.

mackattk

It will kill your eyes if you use it in Daytime Mode at Night. The screen can be eye-searingly bright.

The Google Play Reader has a night mode though which allows you to set the screen to its dimmest setting as well as setting a black background with white text. MUCH more comfortable that way. Trying to read with black on white in that mode though ...still too bright.

You could also try using Screen Filter. It can dim the display lower than the minimum setting on your device. I use it every now and then... Just be careful to close the app when you are done with it because it seems to drain the battery while the screen is turned off. If the room is pitch black, I want the display as dim as possible, otherwise it bothers my eyes.

Phoenix

Just got my new Nexus 7!

....and it is DOA :(

Try performing the "dead battery" restart option from the old nexus 7 (see the support site for complete details)

1). Remove your charging cable
2) Press power while holding down

When the boot screen comes up see if you can configure it to start from there.

I have a nexus 7 that had its battery fully drain and that was the only way I could get it to recover.

BiggNife

Does anyone know how to turn off the keyboard sounds?

I turned off touch sounds but the keyboard still makes noises and its annoying.

Phoenix

I really wish the 32 gb was available in canada now, I really want to get the 32 gb instead of the 16 gb that's only available.

I'm waiting for the 32GB LTE versions. I've found that it works better for me since the device can always be connected for the kids and their netflix fetish.

Phoenix

Can you give some more details about that? I know that I've been using my old Nexus 7 and a Chromecast together and have no issues. What's the deal with the new one and the CC?

Lothars

I'm waiting for the 32GB LTE versions. I've found that it works better for me since the device can always be connected for the kids and their netflix fetish.
Yeah I am tempted to wait for the LTE version as well but it just depends how much longer having to wait for it compared to the other versions.

mackattk

Does anyone know how to turn off the keyboard sounds?

I turned off touch sounds but the keyboard still makes noises and its annoying.

Settings > Language and Input. There should be some sliders to the right of the name of the keyboard you are using. Touch that, and I think it is "Sound on keypress".

BiggNife

Settings > Language and Input. There should be some sliders to the right of the name of the keyboard you are using. Touch that, and I think it is "Sound on keypress".

Thank you, it was getting on my nerves. Kinda silly you can't turn it off under sound, but as long as I can turn it off I'm happy.

Also, I guess I should mention here that I ordered this keyboard case since I'm still unsure if cases specifically designed for the Gen 1 N7 will fit the Gen 2. I'll post impressions here when I get it.

womp

I thought different version may have different way of rooting? Either way, for simplicity I find it much easier to just wait for rooted image which usually comes out on the same day anyway.

Yeah but root processes are literally released within hours. The new Nexus 7 was rooted the same day street date was broken. LOL

I didn't meant to imply you were wrong, but either way will work, especially if someone doesn't have the know how or want to do an image flash.

It will kill your eyes if you use it in Daytime Mode at Night. The screen can be eye-searingly bright.

The Google Play Reader has a night mode though which allows you to set the screen to its dimmest setting as well as setting a black background with white text. MUCH more comfortable that way. Trying to read with black on white in that mode though ...still too bright.

It's awesome to use as an eBook reader though. I've tested the builtin book reader and then another one called Aldiko that can read eBooks directly from your internal storage. (Google Play Reader doesn't do that.. you have to upload them to your Google Play account)

Aldiko seems to be a bit laggy with page turning and doesn't have the nice animated page turning either. It does seem to have more options with regards to screen/text color and customizability.

I'm still new to all of this though so I'm sure there's lots of other eBook reading apps out there that might be better.

Try using MoonReader as well...I used to use Aldiko as well in the past but there are plenty of alternatives to try and I think MoonReader is superior. These days I just use Google Books though since they recently allowed me to upload my epubs to my Google account. :)

womp

It feels like the battery life is worse than my old N7, but I hadn't really tested it enough to be sure.

And lol@ Google's method for rating battery, if that's true.

Nope, as a launch day owner of the OG Nexus 7, it is definitely worse. Where it once took a good 30 min for it to go from 100%-99%, I am now down to 94% in the same time frame.

A good rule of thumb on the older model was roughly 1hr of usage per every 10% of battery.

Mrcapcom

Got mines last night and LOVE IT no issues so far.

Ordered the Poetic Case which ships like Aug28 lmbo oh well guess it will stay in its box when traveling till then

equap

Banned
Try performing the "dead battery" restart option from the old nexus 7 (see the support site for complete details)

1). Remove your charging cable
2) Press power while holding down

When the boot screen comes up see if you can configure it to start from there.

I have a nexus 7 that had its battery fully drain and that was the only way I could get it to recover.
holding down....?

holding down....? holding down....?????

Mairu

Got about 8 hrs screen time before I threw it on charger. (still had about 20+% left)

If you are using chrome... don't, it's a huge battery hog.
Is there another browser I can use that syncs with Chrome? It seems very foolish that I can use Chrome on any device without issue except for the one made by Google.
This may be a silly question, but did you leave your earbuds/headphones plugged into it the whole time? I've seen it where that service will stay active when they're plugged in even if there's no music being played.

Nope!

RuGalz

Is there another browser I can use that syncs with Chrome? It seems very foolish that I can use Chrome on any device without issue except for the one made by Google.

I like the AOSP browser the most, but you need root to use it. It will sync your bookmarks. I haven't really tried other ones lately since I have no reason to.

It can be anything from syncing google media stuff, play media, scanning media etc.

Oyashiro

I guess I was one of the lucky ones because as far as I can tell, my N7 has no issues. No dead pixels, works perfectly, no hardware defects.

Esqueleto

Banned
Whats everyone using to unlock this puppy? And is there away to lock it back the same way as well.
Android SDK. You should be able to unlock it and lock it all you want. Unlocking wipes your device though. There might be a toolkit on xda that does everything for you already if you don't want to deal with commands.

I noticed when I first started it up and it started downloading all my apps, it was almost completely unresponsive. It seems to happen when you have around 3 apps on queue. When this happens, touch gets all glitchy. Swiping on the keyboard was just giving me a bunch of letters and if I wanted to drop down the notifications bar I had to do it really slowly or else it would snap back. Anyone know if this is normal?

Battery seems pretty good so far until I use chrome or play frozen synapse.

NH Apache

Banned
When searching for cases, do I need to search specifically for the refresh cases or will the original nexus 7 cases fit just fine?

seeing all the bugs reported in here. I think I'll wait a couple months to see if things clear up a bit before I jump in. just gonna keep plugging away using my s3 and ipad1.

Jzero

This thing is sexy as fuck. Good thing my doesn't seem to be buggy yet, besides charging taking for ever.

Top Bottom