• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

mrhGB

Banned
I just wish they would announce a date.

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't PC World/Currys an official launch partner (or whatever it's called) for the original Nexus? I would guess their current release date is accurate, at least that's when I'm expecting to get my hands on one.

asdad123

Is there anything similar to icloud for this? I'm gonna have to get an exchange due to the rattling. It sounds like its coming from the camera. I can easily hear it when tapping my finger near the camera. Don't hear the sound anywhere else.

kehs

Banned
Is there anything similar to icloud for this? I'm gonna have to get an exchange due to the rattling. It sounds like its coming from the camera. I can easily hear it when tapping my finger near the camera. Don't hear the sound anywhere else.

Most devices have that rattling, it's from the camera itself.

equap

Banned
So, whats the best case available in Canada?

What kind of Phone do you have? I've had problems beaming stuff from my GNexus to other devices that use S-Beam.
the toro (verizon galaxy nexus).

I thought it was my phone but i was able to beam pics to my friend's S4

BrettWeir

On the fence about getting a new 16 gig or a 2012 used 32 gig. I can get a 2012 used 32 gig for around $150. All I'm going to use it for is a Google Music player for bluetooth streaming to my Jeep audio. Nothing else. I have my reasons! :p

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Yeah, I don't know if it's because I'm using Chrome the whole time or what, but the battery life is noticeably worse than my first N7 ever was last year.

pestul

Well, I took the plunge. N7 16gb ships tomorrow.. to my parents house for my birthday on the 24rth :p. Still I'm very excited about owning my first tablet!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Use Dolphin, Chrome is a huge battery hog for me at least
I was using Xscope on my first N7, but since Chrome actually runs smoothly on the new one and I like the 'other devices' functionality I started using it solely. That's a real bummer, why can't Google get it right on their own device?

Jzero

Man, i love this thing. I'm keeping my home screen simple though.

g8HchyR.jpg

Background looks blurry though.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Does anyone know if there's a way to use a Wiimote/Wii U Pro Controller/PS3 controller on the new Nexus 7? Does it make a difference if you have root?

BFIB

Does anyone know if there's a way to use a Wiimote/Wii U Pro Controller/PS3 controller on the new Nexus 7? Does it make a difference if you have root?
For PS3 you do have to root. Download Sixaxis from the play store and follow the directions to set it up. Pretty easy to do.

kinggroin

Banned

No.

Something better. Your Gmail account.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
For PS3 you do have to root. Download Sixaxis from the play store and follow the directions to set it up. Pretty easy to do.

Can you root the new Nexus 7?

reKon

Banned
First Day:

This is stock 4.3
30-50% brightness (easily bright enough)
45 mins of streaming TV show from my laptop
40 mins of streaming from web sites
15-25 mins of just straight downloading/updating apps via WiFi
30 mins of gaming and running Antutu.
20 mins of music
2 hours of browsing I think

My WiFi settings are currently set to always stay connected when in sleep.

Google Now was off for a majority of the time

I'll probably be able to get another hour or so of screen out of this.

Jzero

Alright I'm getting bugs now.

1. I can't seem to download some apps from the store. They get stuck at 99%

2. My notification LED never goes on.

rc213

So which is it, Is the Tablet bugged or is it 4.3. Cause I've been playing mainly Words With Friends and Draw Something. Today I played some Dead Trigger and the touch controls go absolutely bonkers. I have my thumb on the screen and the virtual dpad will jump and show up above or sideways or totally off screen.

I already setup a Exchange with Amazon cause this is pretty bad.

Also Poetic put up some images of the Slim Line for the Second Gen Nexus 7 and it looks hot.

Black version is $5.95 free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E7FY8U2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I really wanted a sleeve type case for my Nexus 7 as I like to use my N7 naked but keep it protected during travels or on the go.

Stumbled across this. At 99 cents (with prime!) I bought two. Not in stock until the 6th but I'm fine with that.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Do this if you haven't already in regards to battery life.

Definitely made a difference for me, compare my first pic here to this:

Didn't do much outside of reading today, but that's what I would expect from mostly idle battery life.
Cool :)

womp

Man, i love this thing. I'm keeping my home screen simple though.

Background looks blurry though.

Needs to be properly formatted to the resolution of the 7. That background looks below res for it, hence the jaggies.

Download the Wallbase app, TONS of great hi res wallpapers in there.

Jzero

Needs to be properly formatted to the resolution of the 7. That background looks below res for it, hence the jaggies.

Download the Wallbase app, TONS of great hi res wallpapers in there.
I actually got the image from the desktop wallbase site. The app fixed the jaggie's though, thanks.

Apparently HSN.com scored exclusive to sell both n7. With a $70/$90 price hike due to added app pack to justify price. $299.95/$349.95 for 16/32GB

Laekon

Has anyone gone from a regular size tablet to this as their only one? I have a 16GB iPad 2 and need more storage. I've been looking at getting refurbed 32GB iPad 4 for $499 but this would save me a good amount of money. My only issue issuing the smaller screen as my iPad is my main Internet device at home.

MercuryLS

Banned
Has anyone gone from a regular size tablet to this as their only one? I have a 16GB iPad 2 and need more storage. I've been looking at getting refurbed 32GB iPad 4 for $499 but this would save me a good amount of money. My only issue issuing the smaller screen as my iPad is my main Internet device at home.

Best to wait for iPad 5. It will be thinner, smaller and much lighter (probably around 1-1.1lbs). I found the Nexus 7's screen to be too small, the iPad Mini is a bit better in this regard but the lack of retina display hurts it. If you're using this as your main internet access device I would say go for iPad 5. I will be getting an iPad Mini retina whenever it is released, it's a secondary device for me (reading, music, light gaming) so it works well for that stuff, I wouldn't want to use it as my main device.

We just ordered the latest iPad for my son for the high school he's attending (all work will be done via digital on iPad). Pretty neat, actually.

At $600 it's an expensive beast though. I'm definitely going to be taking it for a spin (I have an iPad 1) to see whether I want to stick with the iOS ecosystem or go full Android (I have an S3) and switch my tablet to this N7.

NH Apache

Banned
Really impressed with the performance of the tablet so far. Only hiccup I have had is, as another user mentioned, when downloading multiple apps or updating, there is a freeze or pause where the tablet becomes unusable for 5-7 seconds. Other than that, I have zero problems.

I unlocked, TWRP'ed, and rooted last night within a 20 minute period from starting to look from the info to up and running, which historically is really, really fast for me. The handy little program that is over at xda is a very nice alternative to typing all the commands.

Sound is very good and volume is impressive. Screen is perfect, not one dead pixel. Unbelievably sharp and simply gorgeous. I've not had a chance to do a full battery run through, but over the 10 hours I had it, I ran that thing hard through multiple reboots and flashes and it still had 30 percent.

Did not have any problem with Netflix. GPS functioned very well. After an hour playing Turbo, it did warm up, but nothing significant by any means.

Paired with a ps3 controller and played some games with no issues. Also played some videos, music and pics via DLNA and had no problems.

I do wish the back was a little "stickier" but that should be solved when that 99 cent case comes in, whenever they finish getting manufactured/shipped to amazon. My greatest concern is that I want to keep playing with it, but it's naked and could easily get hurt. So I've been tempering myself a bit solely because of that.

But zero lag. Which is awesome, considering my last tablet was a Galaxy tab.

Also, on the screen size and bezel. Holy bezel on the top and bottom. Totally hated it for the first few hours until I went landscape to play a game. Then it really reminded me of my old Game Gear for some reason. The outside grips were perfect in landscape. I now love this bezel. Coming from a 7 inch screen, I do believe it is certainly a great form factor. I have used my old tab mostly on the go whether it be for school, IT service calls, or bringing it with to a friends/out/etc. The portability of the size is what is so key to me. The greatest downside from the tab was the lower resolution which made looking at full sites difficult. The 1920x1200 screen on the N7 takes care of that problem. Even for someone with bad eyesight like me, a full site looks great on the screen in Chrome, Dolphin, and ASOP (love ASOP browser). Magazines and comics look fantastic.

Edit: Slimport Adapters. Has anyone purchased one yet? I know the official one is 30, but I've read that there are Chinese ones available for 3 bucks.

Edit2: Just ordered this case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E8IWU1W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

10 bucks, free shipping, includes bluetooth keyboard. wow.

RuGalz

I have the N10 and after 1 week of using N7 I can safely say that I am ditching the N10. While larger screen is nicer for web browsing -- being able to fit desktop version of webpages in landscape mode and comfortably read the text without zooming -- the physical size and weight factor for N7 is just superior. My N10 pretty much stays on my night stand where as I take N7 every where around the house (and out). The high res screen makes small font very readable so there's not as much zooming around as I was expecting. Plus, non-tablet optimized apps don't look as bad on N7 as on N10 :lol Main thing I miss are those front facing speakers...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Paired with a ps3 controller and played some games with no issues. Also played some videos, music and pics via DLNA and had no problems.
Could you give me some more details/info on how you did this? I've paired my PS3 controller with my Nexus 7 now and it works for controlling menus but when I load up a game on an emulator, it doesn't work. Only the on screen controls do. What apps/games did you try specifically?

Just picked one up and ordered the Minisuit case that someone recommended. For $10 I figure why the hell not.

I'm charging up the 32gb now, I should have impressions by the end of the weekend. As far as start up and basic messing around, it seems like a pretty nice tablet.

Just bought a used 1st generation one in the BST thread :) for my mom to show my appreciation for her. I don't have a lot of money but she has told me many times she wants a tablet. :)

mattiewheels

I got my Nokia wireless charging pad, works like an absolute charm. I just wonder if it takes a lot longer to charge up.

Top Bottom