• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

NH Apache

Banned
Could you give me some more details/info on how you did this? I've paired my PS3 controller with my Nexus 7 now and it works for controlling menus but when I load up a game on an emulator, it doesn't work. Only the on screen controls do. What apps/games did you try specifically?

When I get home I can give you more specifics, but I use PlaywithSix and under options, I enable tell Android it's a gamepad. I had tried some emulators where I could map buttons in the emulator itself. I tried a couple games from the market with not too much success.

lolmark

I tried using a PS3 controller on Retroarch and noticed a lot of input lag. Is there something I can do to resolve this issue?

I went to check out a displayed new nexus 7 and was.... happily satisfied. Build quality seems A LOT better. A lot less finicky around the bezel/glass area where there seemed to be some sort of a gap. Screen looks insane. I'm in.

asdad123

Is there any way to watch amazon instant video on this? I know there's no app for it like on the iPad. I'm guessing this is because of the kindle fire competition?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow...

Took mine back to BB because the screen input was messing up, and apparently it's tax-free weekend, so they actually gave me money back for exchanging it, ha.

Anyone having this "Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped" error? I can't figure out how to get rid of it, and I don't want to do a factory reset.

I hope the HBO Go app updates soon!

Jzero

Anyone having this "Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped" error? I can't figure out how to get rid of it, and I don't want to do a factory reset.

I hope the HBO Go app updates soon!

Nope the only apps that i have had that happen to are the Bank of America app and Scribblenauts.

norinrad

I'm now hoping they release it in Germany within August so i could drive over there and pick one up. Jesus Google, why can't you release these things like the console manufactures these days.

mrhGB

Banned
I think he was just joking, no one buys a tablet with the camera in mind. It's an added extra that I doubt many people use as it's generally easier to take a photo with your phone which will be better quality any way.

I think he was just joking, no one buys a tablet with the camera in mind. It's an added extra that I doubt many people use as it's generally easier to take a photo with your phone which will be better quality any way.

in before picture of people taking pictures with tablet.

reKon

Banned
I've been very impressed with this tablet so far. Performance has been stellar, the screen, looks good, the battery has been solid, and feels great. I say the screen is merely good because I have an HTC One and in my eyes that or the S4 has the best screen I've seen still. The screen can ridiculously bright so I usually only leave it at 33%.

After now owning this, I can confidently say that S4 Pro + 2GB is the minimum you need for a smooth Android experience (with stock at least). I've pretty much have had no lag, even with downloading/installing apps and navigating the OS.

These devices are fast enough and the multitasking is great so the focus needed to really be on battery. A Nexus 7 with a 4500+ mAH battery would be great and they would have been able to take the battery life crown. In my past run, I was able to get over 15 hours of battery life with almost 7 hours of screen time of med/heavy usage. 2.5 was spent streaming videos and the other 2.5 was spent on Kingdom Rush. I believe the rest was spent browsing the web and doing other things.

Lexxon

Wtf? Is Amazon not selling this anymore?

I was actually surprised they were selling it at all. I believe they didn't sell the original. I always chalked it up to being in the same market as the Kindle Fire--7" low-cost tablet.

I haven't upgraded to the new Nexus 7 yet but am very tempted. I may try this deal out:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6194654-32-...-for-215-99-AC-tax-OfficeMax-B-M-YMMV?page=10

The MA sales tax weekend is next weekend and the coupon is good until Saturday. Also some people have had luck price-matching at Staples, Best Buy, or Office Depot. My nearest OfficeMax unfortunately no longer has stock and the next closest is over an hour away. Might as well try it out in tax-free NH at that point.

Mairu

I was actually surprised they were selling it at all. I believe they didn't sell the original. I always chalked it up to being in the same market as the Kindle Fire--7" low-cost tablet.

I haven't upgraded to the new Nexus 7 yet but am very tempted. I may try this deal out:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6194654-32-...-for-215-99-AC-tax-OfficeMax-B-M-YMMV?page=10

The MA sales tax weekend is next weekend and the coupon is good until Saturday. Also some people have had luck price-matching at Staples, Best Buy, or Office Depot. My nearest OfficeMax unfortunately no longer has stock and the next closest is over an hour away. Might as well try it out in tax-free NH at that point.

I actually returned the N7 today since it seemed like there's been a few deals propping up here and there to get it for less than MSRP and I'm not really in a rush to own it, though I was happy with it.

I attempted to get it with the coupon but most of the places near me were sold out and the places that weren't didn't want to price match the coupon. Oh well!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've been debating on picking up a tablet but I don't know whether to get this new Nexus 7 or wait for the next iPad. I'm leaning more towards the iPad because I already have an Android phone and it would be great to have access to both app ecosystems. I'll have the Android side of things on my phone and iOS apps on the iPad. Thing is that iPads are so fucking expensive and this new Nexus is so cheap. :/

I've been debating on picking up a tablet but I don't know whether to get this new Nexus 7 or wait for the next iPad. I'm leaning more towards the iPad because I already have an Android phone and it would be great to have access to both app ecosystems. I'll have the Android side of things on my phone and iOS apps on the iPad. Thing is that iPads are so fucking expensive and this new Nexus is so cheap. :/
Yep the cost thing is definitely a variable here.

CronoShot

That's what I did, but reversed (iPhone 5 and new Nexus 7). I'm actually liking the setup so far. Android hasn't been much more than a cool distraction so far, but it's growing on me. If Google Play steps its game up, I may switch altogether.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, this thing gets HOT, compared to the last N7, at least.

Hattori

Banned
I'm going skip the next ipad mini and go straight to ipad 5. I'm going to keep this nexus 7 as my go to daily driver tablet. I love the form factor, it just fits more comfortably in one hand than than the mini.

Phoenix

The best camera in the world is the one you have with you at the time you want to take a picture...

mattiewheels

The best camera in the world is the one you have with you at the time you want to take a picture...
Never taken my N7 out of the house...but you're absolutely right.

How should I convince Bestbuy to give me 20% back over the phone? I already purchased it from them.

I am loving tablets, especially the new Nexus 7.
1920x1200 resolution Touch Screen
Snapdragon S4
2GB RAM
16GB SSD (soon to be 32GB tomorrow)
Kick Ass Surround Sound
0.64 lbs
9 hr battery

I'm using it more than my $1100 laptop I purchase last year

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Just wait for the mini this Xmas.

MercuryLS

Banned

As much as I like the nexus 7. Good things cost good money. The iOS tablet ecosystem is second to none, aslo the build quality of the ipad mini is unbelievable. Even better than the full sized ipad, it's not a budget device, it feels premium. That said, the lack of retina and high end processor and more ram hold it back. My ideal tablet would be the ipad mini with a retina display, 1 gig of ram and a a6x or a7. I just hope apple can deliver this year.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
just read through two comics with this thing... pretty damn awesome I must say.

Everything else is butter. I'm just wondering if there's any way to get amazon instant video to work on this thing yet?

BiggNife

So that Afunta keyboard case I bought was super cheaply made and broke after two days. Gonna return it to Amazon via UPS.

This apparently comes out today so I'm probably going to buy this instead. Given the positive reviews for the Gen 1 version, I'm optimistic about it. Being able to remove the keyboard when I don't need it is a nice perk.

Do people buy the 32GB or 16GB model more?

I think there are more people with 32GB since it's sold out everywhere (at least in Bestbuy in my area).

Husker86

just read through two comics with this thing... pretty damn awesome I must say.

Everything else is butter. I'm just wondering if there's any way to get amazon instant video to work on this thing yet?

If you're rooted download AOSP Browser Installer and that will put that browser on which has Flash.

GiJoccin

Looking for a new tablet for school this fall. Is the iPad more capable for using a keyboard with to take notes and study from?

Top Bottom