• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

plc268

After playing with the Nexus 7 for a few days, I've got to say, as a tablet OS, Android is miles better than iOS at this stage. Multitasking is pretty good and snappy. I always keep an IRC app in the background, and as I switch away from that app, it never goes in suspend. It doesn't kill the battery to keep always running.

If I did the same thing on iOS, the irc app would suspend and log me off the server after a few minutes. This thing is quickly replacing my heavy clunky ipad.

Overall, android is just so much more flexible, and it feels like it's suited to be a tablet os instead of an oversized phone os.

After playing with the Nexus 7 for a few days, I've got to say, as a tablet OS, Android is miles better than iOS at this stage. Multitasking is pretty good and snappy. I always keep an IRC app in the background, and as I switch away from that app, it never goes in suspend. It doesn't kill the battery to keep always running.

If I did the same thing on iOS, the irc app would suspend and log me off the server after a few minutes. This thing is quickly replacing my heavy clunky ipad.

Overall, android is just so much more flexible, and it feels like it's suited to be a tablet os instead of an oversized phone os.

I dunno. I feel different. I'm actually returning my Nexus 7. The touch sensitivity, app selection including more tablet optimized apps, default gestures and a few other things have me holding onto my iPad 4 until the next round of iOS devices.

iPads have pretty good battery life. My Nexus 7's is okay.

I also was excited by the price and the new screen resolution. Disappointed by the middle of the road specs (and yes, the iPad Mini 1st Gen sucked, got it) and build.

But if someone were looking for a small, cheap tablet, I'd definitely recommend it. I'm neither an Apple faithful or Android advocate.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose

I love that I could download zip files and open them. Best Android feature.

My only problem with the N7 was the touch screen. Not very responsive. I also hated the navigation bar on the bottom. I never got my irc app to work.

Is ios7 going to allow for background apps?

GatorBait

Any tips on getting better battery life out of the new Nexus 7? My screen-on time has been a little lackluster so far. I'd like to find ways to extend that. I tried turning off Google Now (since I really don't need it on my tablet), but it looks like if I do that it also turns off Google Now on my phone (which is where I really like using Google Now).

Mairu

I dunno. I feel different. I'm actually returning my Nexus 7. The touch sensitivity, app selection including more tablet optimized apps, default gestures and a few other things have me holding onto my iPad 4 until the next round of iOS devices.

iPads have pretty good battery life. My Nexus 7's is okay.

I also was excited by the price and the new screen resolution. Disappointed by the middle of the road specs (and yes, the iPad Mini 1st Gen sucked, got it) and build.

But if someone were looking for a small, cheap tablet, I'd definitely recommend it. I'm neither an Apple faithful or Android advocate.

I feel similar to you. I returned the N7 but I'll be picking it up again if I can grab it at a discount (cmon officemax coupon!), will likely then sell my iPad Mini up until the retina comes out later this year.

The touch sensitivity on N7 definitely leaves a bit to be desired compared to my experiences on iOS and while the battery life is significantly better than the original Nexus 7, it doesn't even compare to what you can expect on iPads

Hattori

Banned
I love that I could download zip files and open them. Best Android feature.

My only problem with the N7 was the touch screen. Not very responsive. I also hated the navigation bar on the bottom. I never got my irc app to work.

Is ios7 going to allow for background apps?
Yeah that's one of the new major improvements in iOS 7, multitasking for every app.

looks like they got some n7 back in stock at amazon. they changed my release date and shows now shipping. now i can send back the old one. crossing figure this one will not have issues.

Husker86

Any tips on getting better battery life out of the new Nexus 7? My screen-on time has been a little lackluster so far. I'd like to find ways to extend that. I tried turning off Google Now (since I really don't need it on my tablet), but it looks like if I do that it also turns off Google Now on my phone (which is where I really like using Google Now).

Try turning off Location Services. It will essentially stop any battery sucking parts of Google Now.

I feel similar to you. I returned the N7 but I'll be picking it up again if I can grab it at a discount (cmon officemax coupon!), will likely then sell my iPad Mini up until the retina comes out later this year.

The touch sensitivity on N7 definitely leaves a bit to be desired compared to my experiences on iOS and while the battery life is significantly better than the original Nexus 7, it doesn't even compare to what you can expect on iPads

Pretty much. Like I said before, if I didn't have a tablet, I would've kept it. The price is very attractive for what you get. But...with Apple, you're paying the premium for design, a solid experience for the user, etc.

I did like being unattached to iTunes. But I don't see the point in saying Android is better than iOS or vice versa. Most of the general populace could give a crap about that fan boy nonsense. They either go for the hype or the price. I hope this device sells.

RuGalz

That doesn't help at all. I've been using Boat Browser and it gave me an extra 20mins in on screen time.

Chrome vs AOSP browser had pretty big difference last time I tried it.

How much on screen time are you getting? I had close to 8 hrs with my last charge, although I don't keep my screen on too bright, it blinds me.

rc213

How much on screen time are you getting? I had close to 8 hrs with my last charge, although I don't keep my screen on too bright, it blinds me.

I've been getting 5hrs 30mins average, With the screen at 30% maybe less.

Threi

notag
I get about 7-8 hours myself, and 5-6 on my old nexus 7.

Also, it seems that the newest software patch google put out (JSS15J) has made touch inputs a bit screwy.

Kibbles

I'm not getting the touch sensitivity complaints. I can lightly glide my finger around the screen and it works.

Threi

notag
I'm not getting the touch sensitivity complaints. I can lightly glide my finger around the screen and it works.
It isn't something that happens immediately, its over a long period of use. (Touch detection slowly gets laggier and laggier)

And even then (at least personally) it's solved by turning the screen off and then back on.

RuGalz

It isn't something that happens immediately, its over a long period of use. (Touch detection slowly gets laggier and laggier)

And even then (at least personally) it's solved by turning the screen off and then back on.

Odd, I have used my tablet for hours at time and never seen that happen.

For anyone think there's touch issue, it's worth running this app and see if there's HW issue...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rn.yamtt

Threi

notag
Not trying to plant the seed of doubt or anything, and it most likely is a software issue, not hardware.

It does seem to be something google is aware of though.

tomei

Best app for android to increase battery life is greenify. It allows you to see apps in the background so you can hiberate them. Use better battery stats to see what is causing wakelocks and partial wakelocks. Need root though for greenify.

Turn off google now, google location services and gps/nfc if not using them they suck battery. Manually sync mail instead of auto sync to increase battery life as well.

Also, you can flash another kernal like faux where you can underclock and undervolt to maximize battery.

Mairu

That doesn't help at all. I've been using Boat Browser and it gave me an extra 20mins in on screen time.

Make sure you do what was suggested to me earlier in the thread (apologies I forgot who suggested it!) and turn off background sync in Google Currents - even if you don't use Currents at all, it seems to significantly waste battery.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

I like AOSP from what I'm seeing so far, but is there anyway to go fullscreen?

Same here in NL as well, though my experience with customs and TNT isn't that positive whenever i order something from the US

Same here got screwed over big time all i really bought from us and ebay were books.
And low and behold you dont have to pay import taxes on them.

Never really did research on electronics so i thought lets import an nexus 7 from US got caught and had to pay 20 euro more then nexus 7 cost in the shops here :'(
Maybe i should have asked the seller to put a false description on it something like an elektric toothbrush :p

NFC and GPS tend to suck the battery. Turn those off if you haven't already to grab some extra battery life.
Is this really true? I kind of doubt it. I mean, GPS does, but it's used so infrequently that it shouldn't matter. I'll look up info about NFC.

Bah, it might just be my bias against toggling settings. It feels so last decade.

--------------

I'm noticing complaints about touch sensitivity on this tablet. Is that a hardware issue, or are people just noticing that Android is not quite as smooth as iOS. If it's hardware related, I hope it doesn't continue on the LTE version.

RuGalz

Is this really true? I kind of doubt it. I mean, GPS does, but it's used so I frequently that it shouldn't matter. I'll look up info about NFC.

mine are on all the time. location history and/or widgets and apps you have that periodically pulls gps data will affect battery. if nothing uses it then it doesn't matter too much.

I like AOSP from what I'm seeing so far, but is there anyway to go fullscreen?

Not normally. However, if you go to settings->lab and enable quick control, it goes full screen. Whether you like quick control is another story...

I just saved $50 with the Office Max coupon. Thanks Best buy for accepting it. :)

Only if I have gotten the 32gb model to save $8 more dollars. :(

Who needs the LTE version when you can use your phone as a portable hotspot?

UK GAF

Just a heads up that ebuyer.com have brought the release date forward to the 28th of August (previously the 29th).

I've tweeted them to ask for clarification.

tweet_zpsa176e5e9.png

24th now!!!

Threi

notag
Yeah chrome has been eating HUGE amounts of battery. I don't know if its a recent update that's causing it or if chrome not playing well with the SoC but i never had it suck up so much juice on my old N7.

mrhGB

Banned
I haven't ordered with eBuyer for years and years, does anyone have any recent experience with them? I'm most interested in their customer support if something goes wrong and their delivery speed. I would prefer to order from Amazon as they're generally fantastic but it's still not listed on their site.

Protome

I haven't ordered with eBuyer for years and years, does anyone have any recent experience with them? I'm most interested in their customer support if something goes wrong and their delivery speed. I would prefer to order from Amazon as they're generally fantastic but it's still not listed on their site.

I've used them a few times, their customer service is generally great.

Is this thing supposed to lay flat? It's kind of bugging me how it wobbles when it's on my desk and I try to type. I sold my old N7 to get this and I don't have it around to compare. I don't recall if it did this.

Otherwise loving the weight and screen. Nice upgrade!

Top Bottom