• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really like this AOSP browser, and the guesture-wheel navigation is great, but what's the reason for it needing root access?

Is this thing supposed to lay flat? It's kind of bugging me how it wobbles when it's on my desk and I try to type. I sold my old N7 to get this and I don't have it around to compare. I don't recall if it did this.

Otherwise loving the weight and screen. Nice upgrade!

Sorry to quote myself but I found a video showing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhS7-KTwn4g

Wobbling while typing is annoying... having the tablet move while using Swype is super-annoying. I just want to know if they are all like this.

Yes I know I could just hold it in my hand. that's not the point!

Hattori

Banned
Just installed that aosp browser, it looks good, runs fast, seems lightweight however it seems to be chugging the same amount of battery as chrome. I used it for about 5 minutes and it already used up 24% of my battery :/

Groof

Haven't been following this thread too closely, but after watching TechnoBuffalo's video review of this and them mentioning having a whole lot of wifi connectivity issues (bad/dropped connections where it shouldn't), I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing anything similar?

RuGalz

Just installed that aosp browser, it looks good, runs fast, seems lightweight however it seems to be chugging the same amount of battery as chrome. I used it for about 5 minutes and it already used up 24% of my battery :/

For a couple days my tablet would drop from 100 to 88% after a couple minutes of use from full charge. Maybe yours is off? Drain the battery completely and then charge to full.

Hattori

Banned
Haven't been following this thread too closely, but after watching TechnoBuffalo's video review of this and them mentioning having a whole lot of wifi connectivity issues (bad/dropped connections where it shouldn't), I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing anything similar?

I had this problem, but I had it exchanged. No more wifi issues for me, so far.

For a couple days my tablet would drop from 100 to 88% after a couple minutes of use from full charge. Maybe yours is off? Drain the battery completely and then charge to full.

No it's pretty accurate, I've been getting the same amount of drain consistently up until now so I'm guessing it's the aosp browser. I'll give it another go later, but I'm gonna keep using dolphin for now.

KorrZ

Just picked this bad boy up from Best Buy. Good bye Surface! Love it so far, the screen is absolutely gorgeous <3

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just got it with the office Max coupon at bb, shit is the tits. Worth rooting?
I root instantly, to hide the nav bar at the bottom and enable gesture controls.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but even though I have the new Nexus 7 and enjoying it, I'm highly anticipating the new Nexus 10.

I want a real tablet experience.
Enough Screen Estate for typing on full sized keyboard
Better Thermal design from larger casing
Possible Android 5.0

Is it safe to say that tablets are replacing laptops for media consumption? I use the new Nexus 7 a bit more than my laptop, especially when I'm on the go.

Schrade

So, my replacement Nexus 7 arrived. I was wondering, is there a way to remove SuperSU/Root and put recovery back to stock before I send my old unit back?

Husker86

So, my replacement Nexus 7 arrived. I was wondering, is there a way to remove SuperSU/Root and put recovery back to stock before I send my old unit back?

I think SuperSU has an option in the menu of the app to get rid of it. Recovery should be easy, I'm sure you can find a stock recovery and flash it in fastboot (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img).

Or you can flash a completely fresh image, Google has all of them available for Nexus devices and I think even says the steps to take to do it.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images (after looking I don't see the new Nexus 7 image there so try to find a recovery.img on xda or something and do the fastboot flash)

Schrade

Yeah, seems the stock image isn't out yet. Ah well.

The replacement I was sent has a dust-tent/offcolor smear in a more noticeable place than my original one. Ugh! This time it's on the right hand side of the screen right in the middle. Sigh.

I guess I'm not going to get one that doesn't have at least one of these things. Might as well keep my first one since the dust-tent/dot/whatever is in the bottom left hand corner. I'm sending this "replacement" back.

Husker86

Yeah, seems the stock image isn't out yet. Ah well.

The replacement I was sent has a dust-tent/offcolor smear in a more noticeable place than my original one. Ugh! This time it's on the right hand side of the screen right in the middle. Sigh.

I guess I'm not going to get one that doesn't have at least one of these things. Might as well keep my first one since the dust-tent/dot/whatever is in the bottom left hand corner. I'm sending this "replacement" back.
I wouldn't settle. Ask for another one!

Schrade

I wouldn't settle. Ask for another one!

Haha! I guess I'll try to keep pushing it. It's so frustrating though... why is it devices have so many screen problems. I remember going through 3-4 PSPs before I finally got one without any dead pixels.

RuGalz

Is it safe to say that tablets are replacing laptops for media consumption? I use the new Nexus 7 a bit more than my laptop, especially when I'm on the go.

After using the new N7 for a week, I'm never going back to 10" tablet. On screen keyboard is just so much easier to use when the screen area isn't so large. Tablet web browser is never going to be as full featured or expandable or snappy as desktop, so other than reading, tablet format can't replace desktop/laptop for me.

Mairu

After using the new N7 for a week, I'm never going back to 10" tablet. On screen keyboard is just so much easier to use when the screen area isn't so large. Tablet web browser is never going to be as full featured or expandable or snappy as desktop, so other than reading, tablet format can't replace desktop/laptop for me.

After using an original Asus TF, iPad 2/4, iPad Mini + Nexus 7 (old&new) I agree with this. Larger than iPad Mini/N7 size tablets aren't even on my radar.

RuGalz

No it's pretty accurate, I've been getting the same amount of drain consistently up until now so I'm guessing it's the aosp browser. I'll give it another go later, but I'm gonna keep using dolphin for now.

How about Current? I think (haven't really spend time to validate it) I am just noticing that even if you disable sync in google account, if the app setting has background sync on, it will sync content anyway if the app is running in background. I tend not to use a lot of widgets except a couple useful ones because poorly programmed ones are really bad for battery... Some apps too -- just having them installed would affect battery whether you actively use them or not. There're just a lot of variables, it'd be interesting if the OS has a toggle that does not allow background stuff at all just to see how much longer battery lasts.

BiggNife

The release of the minisuit keybaord case got delayed by a week, it looks like. Bummer.

If anyone finds a keyboard case they really like, let me know.

mrhGB

Banned
I emailed Amazon UK asking when the Nexus 7 would be available on their site and they replied " I have checked our catalogue and can confirm that this item is currently not available with us. I do apologise. Unfortunately, we are unable to guarantee if or when it will be listed on our website. "

eBuyer it is, I guess.

Hattori

Banned
How about Current? I think (haven't really spend time to validate it) I am just noticing that even if you disable sync in google account, if the app setting has background sync on, it will sync content anyway if the app is running in background. I tend not to use a lot of widgets except a couple useful ones because poorly programmed ones are really bad for battery... Some apps too -- just having them installed would affect battery whether you actively use them or not. There're just a lot of variables, it'd be interesting if the OS has a toggle that does not allow background stuff at all just to see how much longer battery lasts.

After trying to unroot and restore to factory stock, successfully soft-bricking my tablet, and eventually fixing it hours later, aosp runs as described.(I have most of the Google bloatware disabled so they weren't the problem.) I use the stock toggle switch widget, it has a toggle to prevent background sync. Anyway I think my problem was a software glitch or some other factor, but it seems to have been remedied by restoring.

mattiewheels

Has anyone else ever gotten a 'Connection to server lost' error message when they try to play YouTube stuff? I get it every time I try in the app or in a browser...

Schrade

Has anyone else ever gotten a 'Connection to server lost' error message when they try to play YouTube stuff? I get it every time I try in the app or in a browser...

Yeah. I get that when the tablet has switched from one Wireless Access Point to another. That also might be related to me manually disabling the Wireless Radio as well using the widget.

Schrade

Sounds like we might not be able to get a factory image :-/ Dammit.

Legal Issues With Qualcomm May Prevent Factory Images For New Nexus 7 ('Flo') From Ever Being Published, JBQ Strongly Implies

Android Police said:
ROM developers and Android tinkering enthusiasts alike have probably noticed at this point that the new iteration of the Nexus 7, unveiled two weeks ago, does not yet have factory images or driver binaries posted on the appropriate Google Developers page. A similar issue plagued the Nexus 4 in its early days, though eventually images were posted. At the time, legal issues were speculated as a possible reason for the delay, and Android build maintainer JBQ - largely responsible for the images / binaries - said only this in response: "I can't comment."

With the new Nexus 7, JBQ has not outright said that legal problems with Qualcomm are preventing the factory images (and possibly the driver binaries) from being published, but a quick look at the relevant evidence makes it pretty duh-obvious that's what's going on. A week after the new Nexus 7's announcement, JBQ tweeted the following:

Jean-Baptiste Quéru said:
That feeling when lawyers sabotage the launch you spent 6 months working on? I haz it. Sad sad sad sad sad sad.

— Jean-Baptiste Queru (@jbqueru) July 31, 2013

[...]

https://plus.google.com/u/0/112218872649456413744/posts/9HHRURorE7g
Jean-Baptiste Quéru said:
Well, I see that people have figured out why I'm quitting AOSP.

There's no point being the maintainer of an Operating System that can't boot to the home screen on its flagship device for lack of GPU support, especially when I'm getting the blame for something that I don't have authority to fix myself and that I had anticipated and escalated more than 6 months ahead.

does anyone read any standard US comics on this thing? I've always thought 7in might be too small. and I don't want too zoom in and out to read.

GhaleonEB

My daughter bought a 32 GB with her savings today, which means I might be asking lots of stupid questions. It's her first tablet and our first Android device.

#1 - how do I remove the "recommended for you" thing on the desktop? I can't figure out how. Figured out how to remove apps from the desktop.

#2 - is there a way to add money to her store account via a credit card, but not let her have access to that card?

Mairu

My daughter bought a 32 GB with her savings today, which means I might be asking lots of stupid questions. It's her first tablet and our first Android device.

#1 - how do I remove the "recommended for you" thing on the desktop? I can't figure out how. Figured out how to remove apps from the desktop.

#2 - is there a way to add money to her store account via a credit card, but not let her have access to that card?

You could always buy Google Play gift cards and add those to her account

I managed to get one of these for 30% off. 20% coupon + 10% for getting a returned one. This cost less than the original Nexus 7 I got on sale.

Any hands on experience with SlimPort? The main reason i upgraded was to make this into a portable emulator.

JordanKZ

Just to kill us all inside. Ebuyer now have stock in the UK but aren't shipping them out for another 16 days...

BRIz8ZbCYAAQLIZ.jpg:large

Darkwater

Hmm. Seems I can get the Nexus 10 for a reasonable price in my country as well. What say you, GAF? Nexus 7 (2013) or Nexus 10? What are the pros and cons?

Top Bottom