• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Mindwipe

Can you root, sort out OTG and bluetooth controller profiles, and then unroot?

Rooting breaks some secure video services, and I don't need it a lot, but lack of OTG is pretty annoying.

kehs

Banned
Can you root, sort out OTG and bluetooth controller profiles, and then unroot?

Rooting breaks some secure video services, and I don't need it a lot, but lack of OTG is pretty annoying.

I believe most SU interfaces allow you to "hide root" without disabling things that are already setup for root. So you don't have to unroot for those apps/services that check for root.

I was planning to stick with the old one, but that OfficeMax deal + Best Buy having them in stock got me to pull the trigger.

What's the best way to root this thing? I had pretty good success with the Nexus 7 Toolkit on my old N7 -- is that still a good option for the new one?

NH Apache

Banned
I was planning to stick with the old one, but that OfficeMax deal + Best Buy having them in stock got me to pull the trigger.

What's the best way to root this thing? I had pretty good success with the Nexus 7 Toolkit on my old N7 -- is that still a good option for the new one?

I used this tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2385484

Don't forget to do this if you get stuck after unlocking: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=44080272&postcount=11

Jzero

I love my Nexus 7. Good thing most of the bugs i was having are gone, the only one that is left is the keyboard randomly clicking the wrong thing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I love my Nexus 7. Good thing most of the bugs i was having are gone, the only one that is left is the keyboard randomly clicking the wrong thing.
I brought mine back because of that, like hitting delete would register as that smiley button. It was pretty bad, but the one I exchanged for hasn't had a single problem.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Got one for me and one for the GF. Loving this thing so far. I think I like it more than my iPad, even.

mrhGB

Banned
I'm a bit worried about the amount of people in this thread who have had to get replacement devices due to errors.

Threi

notag
The only flaw I have observed is the distorted sounds when the volume is low. Everything else is great though.
That has been explained on xda already, apparently the reasoning is that asus decided to use a digital volume control for the speakers instead of an analog volume control. Doesn't affect headphones though.

right. got my replacement n7 and just letting it charge after i update to 4.3. will report back shortly.

EDIT: Meh. Dead Pixel again. :\

Contacted Amazon CS. they offered me two option. a Refund or 20% off if i keep it. i'll contact them tomorrow.

minx

Not sure where to ask this. Update 4.3 bricked my 1st gen Nexus 7. Looked up how to manually reboot and it seems way to complicated. Any other solutions?

pestul

Sucks having to open someone's Christmas present, but I really need to test out the device within the 30-day return window based on the number with issues..

I'll have mine next week and can't friggin' wait to own my first tablet.

RC Cola

Getting worried about my Nexus 7...

About a week or so ago, I went to turn it on, but it got "stuck" on the Nexus/X screen when booting up. Could turn it off/reboot, but it would just get stuck again. I did get into recovery mode, and after wiping/resetting the device, it was working again.

Happened again last night. Might give it another week, but hope this isn't a regular occurrence.

squicken

I've read lots of reviews and comparisons, but haven't really seen these addressed. I'm not trying to start anything, but for those who have used an iPad Mini:

1: How does speaker volume compare? I found the first Nexus 7 to have awful sound. Not just quality, but volume output. Many times I couldn't hear what I was trying to play w/o headphones

2. Web browsing? I know the Nexus has a spec advantage, but does that translate to faster page loading and scrolling?

Getting worried about my Nexus 7...

About a week or so ago, I went to turn it on, but it got "stuck" on the Nexus/X screen when booting up. Could turn it off/reboot, but it would just get stuck again. I did get into recovery mode, and after wiping/resetting the device, it was working again.

Happened again last night. Might give it another week, but hope this isn't a regular occurrence.

sounds like bad flashrom on that unit, get it exchanged!

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
My Nexus 7 decided all of a sudden to stop connecting to Wifi. Not sure what the problem is since it was working fine up until yesterday. And technically I'm "connected" since that's what it says in the settings tab and I have a blue icon. But I can't load any web pages or check mail. Any ideas? Sometimes when I turn Wifi off and back on, it will connect for a minute or so and then lose connection again

EDIT: Resetting the modem seems to have fixed it for now...

Question: Does my tablet need LTE if my Nexus 4 has Unlimited Data? I could use it as a portable hotshot and connect my tablet to it.

Edit: Shucks I cannot use hotshot at home. I have no reception. :(

NH Apache

Banned
Question: Does my tablet need LTE if my Nexus 4 has Unlimited Data? I could use it as a portable hotshot and connect my tablet to it.

Right. Just be aware that hotspot uses a good amount of juice on your phone and can lead to overheating on some devices if left on for too long. Not sure about the Nexus 4 though.

Right. Just be aware that hotspot uses a good amount of juice on your phone and can lead to overheating on some devices if left on for too long. Not sure about the Nexus 4 though.

I've personally used my nexus 4 as a wifi hotspot for a a number of hours no issue. It gets hot but it get hot even while playing games or just browsing normally so I dunno. No issue with the phone though regardless.

Not sure if anyone is interested but I just got this email moments ago

Trade in your working Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 tablet (1st Generation) and get a minimum $50 Best Buy® gift card which you may put toward the purchase of a new Google Nexus 7¹

Not saying it's a great deal but just passing along lo

I got one with the OfficeMax coupon. My first tablet. My experience with them was pretty much limited to some passing usage of a 2nd gen iPad and playing with some store display units.

Have no complaints so far.

Can anyone recommend any games? Most of the lists on Google seem out of date or limited to obvious things like Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja.

reKon

Banned
I got one with the OfficeMax coupon. My first tablet. My experience with them was pretty much limited to some passing usage of a 2nd gen iPad and playing with some store display units.

Have no complaints so far.

Can anyone recommend any games? Most of the lists on Google seem out of date or limited to obvious things like Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja.

Here's my games folder. There are many great games in there. There are some older ones that I don't have installed. It may not be as much as iOS, but the gaming is still solid

Screenshot_2013-08-09-22-25-29.png

My favorite game by far is Kingdom Rush.

hemtae

For people using the AOSP browser, when you search for something in the browser bar, does it take to the Google homepage but not the actual results? Also doors it crash every time you click the copy button?

Top Bottom