• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Husker86

Anyone know of an app that would allow me to stream video from my PC to an Android device with the ability to send the video that's playing on Android to a Chromecast?

I do something similar with my iOS devices and AirPlay. Currently I use the StreamToMe app on iOS with the StreamToMe desktop client and can access all my videos that are on my computer. From there I can AirPlay anything playing on iOS to my Apple TV. I'd love to ditch the Apple ecosystem, though, so if anyone knows a way to do something similar on Android I'm all ears! Thanks.
Plex said they were going to add it, so it's coming eventually.

mrhGB

Banned
I'm not sure what situation I'd be in where someone was stabbing the screen to my tablet or phone but I've never seen a screen protector on someone's tablet or phone that hasn't made the screen look worse.

The point is if it can withstand that sort of abuse it will protect the screen against pretty much anything.

I've never used a screen protector on any of my devices and none of them have ever gotten a scratch. Honestly, I think screen protectors are a scam and aren't worth the trouble.

Vyer

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57597753-94/new-nexus-7-plagued-by-gps-glitch/

New Nexus 7 plagued by GPS glitch

Google's new Nexus 7 isn't playing well with GPS, according to a host of comments at several online discussion forums.

New Nexus 7 owners chiming in on Google Groups, the XDA Developers forum, and Android Central forums all describe a similar problem.

The GPS signal works for a certain amount of time, anywhere from 2 to 30 minutes, and then it simply conks out, leaving the user without a connection. The Nexus then tries to hunt for a signal without any success. Rebooting the tablet seems to restore GPS, but then the pattern repeats itself with the signal again dying out after several minutes.

Google is apparently aware of the problem and is investigating. Google Community Manager for Android Paul Wilcox posted the following message in the Google Groups thread: "Thanks for the reports everyone, we're looking into it." Wilcox followed up with at least one other post seeking more information.

One Nexus 7 owner said that Google Play support confirmed that the issue is affecting Nexus 7 owners and that the engineering team should be rolling out a patch at some point. However, that comment was posted July 30. And now on August 9, the problem still seems to be affecting a number of people who bought the new tablet.

CNET contacted Google for comment and will update the story with any further details.

I haven't really had a reason to use the GPS in my 7 much at all so I haven't noticed. Anyone else having this issue?

I have a friend heading to America in a few weeks, and they said they would pick me one of these up at the local Walmart.

Do they generally keep good stock of this?

Row

Banned
How does the play store work on tablets? Can you pick your region freely or is it forever locked in with the country of purchase?

RuGalz

I haven't really had a reason to use the GPS in my 7 much at all so I haven't noticed. Anyone else having this issue?

Just tried it out this morning, it seems to be the case with mine as well. I hope it's software issue and not hardware.

I have a friend heading to America in a few weeks, and they said they would pick me one of these up at the local Walmart.

Do they generally keep good stock of this?

A bunch of stores near me were sold out last week, but in a few weeks the initial rush should be pretty much over, I'd think.

mrhGB

Banned
I just ordered the 32GB model from eBuyer, free Saturday delivery and I paid £1 extra for before noon delivery. They say they're sending them out on the 23rd so fingers crossed.

I'm excited to finally step into the world of tablets, and this is also my first Android device so I'll be clueless which is half of the fun.

rc213

I got my replacement from Amazon for my 32GB.

New one so far is giving me around 7:30 of on screen time which is 2+ hours better than the first one. Also the jumpy touches are much more subdued than the last one but still not gone completely.

If this issue isn't fixed with an update, Warranty would still be handled by Google?

I got my replacement from Amazon for my 32GB.

New one so far is giving me around 7:30 of on screen time which is 2+ hours better than the first one. Also the jumpy touches are much more subdued than the last one but still not gone completely.

If this issue isn't fixed with an update, Warranty would still be handled by Google?

should just ask amazon for another replacement if it gives you any more trouble lol.

3phemeral

The wallbase app is all you need.

Seconded. I love semi-blurry backgrounds because it's allows my eyes to focus on the icons directly, so I search for Macro images of anything, like moss.:

BfNr2U7l.jpg

But you can find tons of things. They even have an option to search by whatever color requirements you might have.

Hattori

Banned
I need help, I've been trying all day, but I can't seem to download anything off the Google play store. (Error 497 or "Package File Invalid) Is there a way to fix this or am I stuck to just wait on Google to sort this out?

gokieks

Lol dude we have the same wallpaper and case. I just ordered this case though since i didn't like the first one.

Edit: i didn't want to have the same wallpaper as you so i changed it and took some photos.

That's a pretty nice stand - what is it?

GutsOfThor

Just received my Moko Slim-fit case in the mail for my new Nexus. Looks really nice and protects it very well.

0uAWW2z.jpg

wMQ0iEV.jpg

Uzq9Rcg.jpg

RbxbfIT.jpg

I had one of those for my old Nexus 7 and the stitches on the inside cover left permanent indentions on the screen protector. Did they fix this problem?

reKon

Banned
Lol dude we have the same wallpaper and case. I just ordered this case though since i didn't like the first one.

Edit: i didn't want to have the same wallpaper as you so i changed it and took some photos.

damn, what camera were you using?

RuGalz

I need help, I've been trying all day, but I can't seem to download anything off the Google play store. (Error 497 or "Package File Invalid) Is there a way to fix this or am I stuck to just wait on Google to sort this out?

It's probably just Google/ISP issue. Lots people reporting similar things on XDA lately. I just tried updating some apps on my phone and it took over 10 minutes while it should have been seconds.

Hattori

Banned
It's probably just Google/ISP issue. Lots people reporting similar things on XDA lately. I just tried updating some apps on my phone and it took over 10 minutes while it should have been seconds.
It's very frustrating, I hope they sort it out soon. It's really souring my first experience with the platform :/

It's very frustrating, I hope they sort it out soon. It's really souring my first experience with the platform :/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...-when-installing-or-updating-apps-no-fix-yet/
no fix yet.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/3300875

[#10230007] “Package File Invalid” error when downloading or updating apps

We’ve received reports that some users are getting "Package File Invalid" while trying to download or update apps.

We’re currently investigating a permanent solution, and there are no workarounds at this time.

We’ll continue to update this page with developments, so check back soon.

Issue first reported on: August 7, 2013

BFIB

Not sure if Poetic has any cases out yet for the new N7, but I have one for my HTC One and one for my N10. Both are solid, and inexpensive.

Schrade

Anyone know of a way to completely disable the front-facing camera? My friend is concerned about it being activated unbeknownst to her. Is there an android service or something that can be disabled?

I recommended just covering it up with a piece of non-damaging tape or that water-decal stuff that can peel off easily. Or maybe get a tablet case and attach something that'll cover it up when it's in the case.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

NH Apache

Banned
Anyone know of a way to completely disable the front-facing camera? My friend is concerned about it being activated unbeknownst to her. Is there an android service or something that can be disabled?

I recommended just covering it up with a piece of non-damaging tape or that water-decal stuff that can peel off easily. Or maybe get a tablet case and attach something that'll cover it up when it's in the case.

Sorry, I don't but does your friend do this for every device she owns? Her phone, laptop, etc? Very curious. I've never heard of an android device being hacked to turn on the camera.

My big complaint is that it's not the best device for Chromecast. I feel kind of mean for holding that against it, but I figured they'd work swell together since they launched at the same time.

Just received my Moko Slim-fit case in the mail for my new Nexus. Looks really nice and protects it very well.

0uAWW2z.jpg

wMQ0iEV.jpg

Uzq9Rcg.jpg

RbxbfIT.jpg

Mine should be coming in today.

Not sure if Poetic has any cases out yet for the new N7, but I have one for my HTC One and one for my N10. Both are solid, and inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5NOXM4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ordered this as well :)

Schrade

Sorry, I don't but does your friend do this for every device she owns? Her phone, laptop, etc? Very curious. I've never heard of an android device being hacked to turn on the camera.

She doesn't own a phone with a camera. She only uses her mobile phone for emergencies. She doesn't have a laptop.

Privacy is understandable in this day and age. Heck, I'd even disable my camera if I could unload or service or something.

NH Apache

Banned
She doesn't own a phone with a camera. She only uses her mobile phone for emergencies. She doesn't have a laptop.

Privacy is understandable in this day and age. Heck, I'd even disable my camera if I could unload or service or something.

I was just curious if this was a viable concern on this platform.

bizarre request but Permission Manager and disable camera in apps.

Mairu

Got the Poetic StrapBack Case for the new Nexus 7 today. Looks pretty much the same as the MoKo one above.

Unfortunately, it has the same problem I noticed from the Poetic case for the original nexus 7. The magnet is way too sensitive, which makes it impossible to use if you're holding it open with the strap portion of the case against the front portion - it'll just turn itself off. Last year I was able to get one that worked fine, but it took me a few exchanges with the seller on Amazon. Time to play that game again I guess.

Hi all. My mom just got one of these. Her first android/tablet ever. Never had a smart phone. But she used to be the VCR/TV wiz of the house.

Wondering if anyone has any helpful links or vids for first time android tablet users.

Jzero

Man, owning a tablet has been amazing so far. Apps like Splashtop and Spotimote have enabled me to do everything from my couch. Being lazy has never been easier.

🙌

RkOwnage

Can anyone recommend a good dock for this? Looking for something I can use to charge it, or something I can set the tablet horizontally ...so I can still plug in the charger. I use this as an alarm clock at night, and I wanted something to dock it in, thanks in advance.

Can someone recommend a good slimport cable? There's not a lot of them out there at the moment and I don't really feel like buying the $60 one on Amazon right now.

Chairhome

Has anyone messed with restricted profiles? THere are games like Minion Rush that are not working on the restricted profiles cause they need some kind of one-time access that I'm not sure I can grant. Like network access. Did I miss something in settings?

Mairu

Can someone recommend a good slimport cable? There's not a lot of them out there at the moment and I don't really feel like buying the $60 one on Amazon right now.

What's the point of this Slimport shit anyways? Does anything else use it? Is SlimPort a consequence of the RACE FOR THE THINNEST DEVICE?! Feels like it might as well be Lightning :[

Top Bottom