• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Just ordered one through Amazon it will be here Monday! After watching some unboxing videos I noticed that everyone who logged in with their Google account had Transformers Dark of the Moon, does it come preloaded with that movie or something?

Just ordered one through Amazon it will be here Monday! After watching some unboxing videos I noticed that everyone who logged in with their Google account had Transformers Dark of the Moon, does it come preloaded with that movie or something?

Movie comes free as stream to all purchases of the tablet.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So how is the TV-out on this? Is it laggy, and does the tablet have to stay on the whole time?

What's the cheapest wireless charging pad to get that works with this?

Any wireless QI pad should work, so you could use something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261218749516?hlp=false&var=

I'd look for something with reviews though, there are a lot of generic models out there and I'm a bit skeptical of their quality.

I just ordered this adapter + pad for my phone, so I'll see how it works with the Nexus 7. It's a shame there aren't more tablet-sized charging pads out there.

Anyone else's N7 randomly restarting? Mine has done it at least a dozen times today. Did some research and it looks like a common problem.

RuGalz

Any wireless QI pad should work, so you could use something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261218749516?hlp=false&var=

I'd look for something with reviews though, there are a lot of generic models out there and I'm a bit skeptical of their quality.

I just ordered this adapter + pad for my phone, so I'll see how it works with the Nexus 7. It's a shame there aren't more tablet-sized charging pads out there.

I just bought something that look similar, the pad works for my phone but not n7.

Massa

How do people find the Nexus 7 for reading "print replica" books (mostly textbooks)? Should I be looking at a 10" instead?

SLV

Welp, it seams that i have spoken too soon, today i found out the price for the 16 Gb Nexus 7 2013 in my country, price was shown in the Asus shop homepage of my country.

Well then:

550 $/410 EUR/350 GBP - 16 GB Wi-Fi only

Thx but no thx, mayby once it gets cheaper...

Massa

I'd say that depends on your eyesight. The high res screen displays small text really well. Without my glasses its hopeless.

I think I'm going with one of the ~ $300 tablets with 720p 10" screens. I love the form factor of the Nexus 7 but reading these kind of books will be my primary use so I should probably avoid the eye strain.

[Bayformers 3] comes free as stream to all purchases of the tablet.

Is that only if you ordered through Amazon? If so, I probably didn't miss much (I ordered it direct), but unexpected bonus gifts with purchases are always nice.

So what's the best case? I have my brain on this MoKo case, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd also like to know if it's possible to get a case that you can have on while still using wireless charging.

edit: ha, I see there is already much chatter about cases. I'll hunt through some of the prior links. Maybe I'll even find a decent one with a real keyboard!

pheonix991

Neo Member
How do people find the Nexus 7 for reading "print replica" books (mostly textbooks)? Should I be looking at a 10" instead?

Fine for me. All the PDF's I've been reading are great. For larger text book pages, you may need to turn it landscape depending on how blind you are, but I think it's fine. 20/20 vision here.

kehs

Banned
Is that only if you ordered through Amazon? If so, I probably didn't miss much (I ordered it direct), but unexpected bonus gifts with purchases are always nice.

So what's the best case? I have my brain on this MoKo case, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd also like to know if it's possible to get a case that you can have on while still using wireless charging.

edit: ha, I see there is already much chatter about cases. I'll hunt through some of the prior links. Maybe I'll even find a decent one with a real keyboard!

Nah, it's part of Google play thing, you get it as soon a you sign into you Google account.

Once again we get stung in the UK on electronic prices. How are they justifying t
A £40 price hike over last year's model when there is only an extra $30 increase for the US. The cost of stuff in this country is really crap compared to other countries.

Torraz

What's the best screen protector? Super shock, Anti glare, super clear etc, I'm lost.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E4Y93MO/

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008O7X45O/

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E5I2G1E/

All different brands, I have no idea which is the best as this will be my first tablet.

I put screen protectors on nearly all my devices. My 2012 Nexus 7 is the first I have not put one on. Don't have a single scratch on it. I do have a book-like flip case.

mrhGB

Banned
I put screen protectors on nearly all my devices. My 2012 Nexus 7 is the first I have not put one on. Don't have a single scratch on it. I do have a book-like flip case.

I definitely want to use one as I hate finger prints, dirt etc, I just have no idea which is the best.

Just pre ordered mine at game.co.uk. There's a £15 voucher code on hotukdeals, means the 16GB is £185.

Thanks for the heads up.

Much to my better judgment I've ordered one as I had £18.50 reward card credit with Game so I've only spent £166 and I should get £16 from quick which would bring my spend to £150. Plus I work 15 minutes from a Game so if there is anything wrong with it (as with the Nexus 10 I got and a fair few of the comments I've seen on here).

It's nice to know I'll have in just over 2 weeks though.

Jzero

Screen protectors have to be the most pointless products available for devices with awesome screens.

mrhGB

Banned
What's the benefit of not using one though? They're like £3 for a pack. I watched a video of a guy stabbing and scratching the screen with a pair of scissors and it was perfectly fine under the protector. It's just nice to know the screen has that extra layer of protection.

Mairu

What's the benefit of not using one though? They're like £3 for a pack. I watched a video of a guy stabbing and scratching the screen with a pair of scissors and it was perfectly fine under the protector. It's just nice to know the screen has that extra layer of protection.

I'm not sure what situation I'd be in where someone was stabbing the screen to my tablet or phone but I've never seen a screen protector on someone's tablet or phone that hasn't made the screen look worse.

Nitsuj23

Anyone know of an app that would allow me to stream video from my PC to an Android device with the ability to send the video that's playing on Android to a Chromecast?

I do something similar with my iOS devices and AirPlay. Currently I use the StreamToMe app on iOS with the StreamToMe desktop client and can access all my videos that are on my computer. From there I can AirPlay anything playing on iOS to my Apple TV. I'd love to ditch the Apple ecosystem, though, so if anyone knows a way to do something similar on Android I'm all ears! Thanks.

gokieks

Anyone know of an app that would allow me to stream video from my PC to an Android device with the ability to send the video that's playing on Android to a Chromecast?

I do something similar with my iOS devices and AirPlay. Currently I use the StreamToMe app on iOS with the StreamToMe desktop client and can access all my videos that are on my computer. From there I can AirPlay anything playing on iOS to my Apple TV. I'd love to ditch the Apple ecosystem, though, so if anyone knows a way to do something similar on Android I'm all ears! Thanks.

Qloud Media works very well for streaming from Windows/OS X to Android, but Chromecast works in a fundamentally different way than AirPlay (think of it as a specialized light-weight browser that can only pull websites in specific formats), and I'd honestly be very surprised if it, in its current incarnation anyway, ever gets implemented for local streaming in a well designed way.

Anyone know ok
f an app that would allow me to stream video from my PC to an Android device with the ability to send the video that's playing on Android to a Chromecast?

I believe the BubbleUpnp dev said he's adding the function in. I don't use the app so I don't know if he did so yet. If he did, set up your PC with Plex Media Server. Then you can use BubbleUpnp to play your media on your Android device and/or fling it to Chromecast.

Also, CyanogenMod is baking Chromecast support into the OS, if you're into custom ROMs.

Schrade

2nd Replacement 32 GB arrived and it has a stuck pixel. No dust bubble this time but now a fucking stuck pixel. Sigh.

I'll try exercising that spot a bit but dammit, this is getting frustrating.

Top Bottom