• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

gokieks

What's the point of this Slimport shit anyways? Does anything else use it? Is SlimPort a consequence of the RACE FOR THE THINNEST DEVICE?! Feels like it might as well be Lightning :[

It's for displaying video out via (micro)USB like MHL so they don't need to put an HDMI port on devices. The reason it's being used instead of MHL is that it's license/royalty free.

What's the point of this Slimport shit anyways? Does anything else use it? Is SlimPort a consequence of the RACE FOR THE THINNEST DEVICE?! Feels like it might as well be Lightning :[

For me, I plan on using it to make my Nexus into a portable emulator/console hybrid. It also seems like a great device to keep with you so you can eliminate the "pass the tablet" around scenario.

Got the 32gb version, awesome is this thing.

What are some of the must have apps for it? Also comic reader

I have the 16GB version and this is my first experience with Android, so I dont know what the must have apps are but, I downloaded the comics app called comixology. It works really nice.

Mairu

So where's the best place for buying a SlimPort to HDMI adapter? Amazon brings up a ton of MHL adapters and a couple SlimPort adapters that are more expensive than I would have expected. Not to mention it doesn't seem like any are sold by Amazon directly/fulfilled by Amazon (Prime) :(

Lkr

my dad wants to get my mom a tablet for her birthday since all she has is a really old and shitty desktop computer. is the nexus 7 a good one to consider? should i go for a larger galaxy or iPad?

pheonix991

Neo Member
my dad wants to get my mom a tablet for her birthday since all she has is a really old and shitty desktop computer. is the nexus 7 a good one to consider? should i go for a larger galaxy or iPad?

Depends. If she wants something to take in her purse, get the N7. If she wants something to watch movies on, get an ipad/n10/galaxy.

Husker86

Ehhh...I really think a full size iPad might be best, or Nexus 10 like phoenix said. Samsung disappoints me with their resolutions but I'm sure they're fine tablets. Is this going to be a surprise where you can't ask her which size would be best for her?

RuGalz

older people tend to like larger screen due to poorer eye sight...

U2NUMB

So a couple things and maybe this has been talked about here.. after a few weeks of using mine something really bugs me. Unlike the original Nexus my new one never goes out and checks email on its own. I have to open the app and force it to check even though in the settings I have both my inbox's set to check every 15 min or so.

Anyone else have this issue?

Also side note.. I have an extra case. I bought the one linked below and it took 3 weeks to get to me while In the meantime another one I ordered got to me quick. I dont plan on returning this one as it was shipped from china. SO.... first one to PM me and I will mail this one out to them free of charge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E38S6SI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Jzero

So a couple things and maybe this has been talked about here.. after a few weeks of using mine something really bugs me. Unlike the original Nexus my new one never goes out and checks email on its own. I have to open the app and force it to check even though in the settings I have both my inbox's set to check every 15 min or so.

That happens to me sometimes with Facebook, Instagram, as well as email. It doesn't happen all of the time though.

pestul

I know shipping will be slow but you can get slimport hdmi adapters for the nexus 4 (same) on ebay for around $18 free shipping.

NH Apache

Banned
I've been browsing the play store and I noticed some "live wallpaper" apps. Are those basically just animated backgrounds?

Yeah. There's some stock ones built in. Long press on the background on your home screen and you'll have an option to switch and/or preview them. Some people say they suck up a bit more battery.

Shambles

Also side note.. I have an extra case. I bought the one linked below and it took 3 weeks to get to me while In the meantime another one I ordered got to me quick. I dont plan on returning this one as it was shipped from china. SO.... first one to PM me and I will mail this one out to them free of charge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E38S6SI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've read there is a bug in the kernal for wifi updates. My Nexus 4 behaves the same way when it only has a wifi connection. Supposedly there is a fix for it but it was ready in time for 4.3 so it's not part of the OTA update that went out. I believe some mods include the patch and you may be able to patch the kernal yourself if you care.

SaskBoy

Will Futureshop Price Match this? I bought it for $249 less than a month ago but, now it's available on Google Play Canada for $229.

Cheebo

Banned
How was google so badly unprepared on the software side for this launch?

The Package 497 Error (thankfully finally fixed it sounds like), Touch Screen Lag, & GPS issues should have been obvious from even the slightest testing.

The complete mess on the software side is literally embarrassing for such a big company.

RuGalz

got my cheap 99 cents rooCASE origami case today, it's better than I had imagined for such price. being able to prop the tablet up horizontally and vertically is why I picked it over the other ones. the cover also works like a nice grip for the tablet by rolling it up. comes with a stylus too.

How was google so badly unprepared on the software side for this launch?

The Package 497 Error (thankfully finally fixed it sounds like), Touch Screen Lag, & GPS issues should have been obvious from even the slightest testing.

The complete mess on the software side is literally embarrassing for such a big company.
I agree completely, and I'm very sad that it's par for the course for Google. I'm so used to it that it wasn't even upsetting until I read your post spelling it out.

GatorBait

Anyone have any recommendations for good tablet apps?

Best news aggregator/curator (I've heard Flipboard is good?). I'd also like an app where I can queue up online articles for later offline reading.

I must be the only one not having problems.

Never got the package invalid error but it seems to be fixed now anyways.
Don't seem to have any touch screen lag.
Haven't experienced GPS issues but admittedly I don't really use Maps/GPS much on this thing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anyone have any recommendations for good tablet apps?

Best news aggregator/curator (I've heard Flipboard is good?). I'd also like an app where I can queue up online articles for later offline reading.

Most GAFers like Press, but it is pay. Try out Flipboard and Feedly 1st for free apps if you don't want to pay.

Vyer

I haven't had any email issues. Seems to push from my gmail account fine anyway.

My Nexus 7 has developed a small creak in the lower right hand corner though. I can feel a little bit of give at the same time whenever I hold it. :/

Haven't experienced GPS issues but admittedly I don't really use Maps/GPS much on this thing.

Same here, I haven't had any of those problems.

RuGalz

gps issue only shows if you take it out on the road, my unit has no problem maintaining lock when I just leave it by the window

Threi

notag
My battery life wasnt bad to begin with but it seems to slowly be improving with each charge...my last one got it to 7h45m screen on time with 15% left, 2 and a half days on the charge.

Switching from Chrome to AOSP has made the biggest impact on battery life it seems.

Wife and son just came home with a 32 gb to replace my 3-year-old iPad 1. I feel all special. Son has had one for about a week and LOVES it, so...here we go....

rc213

Nexus 7 32gb number #3 checking in battery about the same as number 2. Touchscreen jumpiness not present at all. Score!

I install Swype and tap on a text bar to bring up the keyboard. Tap and hold the back button and you will see other keys light up as if they were touched. Should've recorded it but it slipped my mind and the busted one is already packed for return.

reKon

Banned
FUUU, it's dead it seems.

What is the final verdict on this? Best tablet for it's price range?

Yes. I don't even give a care if a higher spec'd tablet comes out. This thing flies and never lags, feels great, and the screen is superb. No complaints at all and once CM comes out with that chrome cast stuff built in, this will destroy all other tablets because of media/emulation/GPS capabilities. It will probably be always behind the iPad mini in games, but I don't really give a shit because in reality, I currently have a ps3 backlog that'a quite the killer line up and is better than any mobile gaming out.

If there was thing that I would improve on this keeping the form factor the same, it would be battery. It's good and it lasts me days while still giving me 6+ screen time w/ heavy usage , still but not iPad mini good I think. If this tablet was made to have an 8 screen with a half inch cut off the top and bottom bezel, and had a 5000mAh battery maintaining the same thinness, the tablet would be truly perfect.

Yes. I don't even give a care if a higher spec'd tablet comes out. This thing flies and never lags, feels great, and the screen is superb. No complaints at all and once CM comes out with that chrome cast stuff built in, this will destroy all other tablets because of media/emulation/GPS capabilities. It will probably be always behind the iPad mini in games, but I don't really give a shit because in reality, I currently have a ps3 backlog that'a quite the killer line up and is better than any mobile gaming out.

If there was thing that I would improve on this keeping the form factor the same, it would be battery. It's good and it lasts me days while still giving me 6+ screen time w/ heavy usage , still but not iPad mini good I think. If this tablet was made to have an 8 screen with a half inch cut off the top and bottom bezel, and had a 5000mAh battery maintaining the same thinness, the tablet would be truly perfect.

Do you get 6+ hours while watching video? That's probably the most I'll use it for besides a couple apps I need it for. There may be less games but I think it would be enough for me. Most stuff is android and iOS nowadays.

Edit: Does any place have working units on display to try before you buy? Like a bestbuy or anything?

reKon

Banned
Do you get 6+ hours while watching video? That's probably the most I'll use it for besides a couple apps I need it for. There may be lesAndroid)but I think it would be enough for me. Most stuff is android and iOS nowadays.

Edit: Does any place have working units on display to try before you buy? Like a bestbuy or anything?

That's what I've been typically getting over a span of 2-3 days without charging. For example the other day, I did 2.5 hours of video streaming, 2 hours of Kingdom Rush (Android) and the rest internet browsing. I consider that to be pretty heavy usage. During this time I set WiFi to be off when the device is inactive and the auto brightness makes the brightness very low which is fine for me because this thing gets so ridculously bright. In one day though I've been able to get almost 8 hours with medium to heavy usage connected to WiFi the entire day, so I think the 9 hours of active usage is close. If I was watching a video loaded on to my device instead of streaming, my battery would probably do a little better depending on the quality of the video.

Top Bottom