• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

SLV

Right, so i just ordered it, found it at a good price, the same as Uk price 240 Quid. Should arrive Wednesday. I hope the one i ordered will have no issues... What good cases should i look at in ebay ? EU ebay preferably.

Schrade

Oi. My THIRD replacement has arrived and it has a dead pixel. I think I am just going to keep the original... I don't think I'll ever get a perfect screen.

1) Original Nexus 7 32 MB I bought from Amazon - Dust particle in lower left hand corner.
2) Replacement 1 - Had Dust Particle in the middle of the left hand side of the screen.
3) Replacement 2 - Had Stuck pixel in upper right hand corner of screen.
4) Replacement 3 - Had a Dead pixel in upper right hand corner of screen.

Amazon got a little hesitant on the last replacement they sent.. should I keep trying? This is getting frustrating.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Oi. My THIRD replacement has arrived and it has a dead pixel. I think I am just going to keep the original... I don't think I'll ever get a perfect screen.

1) Original Nexus 7 32 MB I bought from Amazon - Dust particle in lower left hand corner.
2) Replacement 1 - Had Dust Particle in the middle of the left hand side of the screen.

Amazon got a little hesitant on the last replacement they sent.. should I keep trying? This is getting frustrating.

I was going to pick up another N7 at BB, but I decided to wait. I don't want to get a another dud. I also want to see if the the N10 asus rumor is true.

Wife and son just came home with a 32 gb to replace my 3-year-old iPad 1. I feel all special. Son has had one for about a week and LOVES it, so...here we go....
Extremely interested in hearing your impressions. I also have an ipad1 and am considering either upgrading that or going with this

SLV

My unit has the GPS bug :(

Yeez, this is one fucked up product launch. It is almost like playing a lottery in which every ticket wins in a bad way ... Will i have some dust under the glass ? Will i have some dead pixels, will my speaker buzz ? Will it randomly hang and shut down, or maybe the GPS will be acting funny. Sigh... I hope my unit will be ok. Wednesday cant come soon enough

I would give up. A dead pixel on a display that is as pixel dense as this would barely be noticeable and isn't worth the hassle.

Schrade

I would give up. A dead pixel on a display that is as pixel dense as this would barely be noticeable and isn't worth the hassle.

It's absolutely completely noticeable for me. I still have the original one in 1) so I am probably going to ask for a discount and keep that since they can't seem to get me a flawless one.

Extremely interested in hearing your impressions. I also have an ipad1 and am considering either upgrading that or going with this

I'm in this weird space, because I have an iPad and my phone is a Galaxy S3. You would think the Nexus would feel like the perfect balance between them, but honestly,to me, the Nexus feels more like a giant phone than a small tablet. That may change - 3 years with the iPad is a lot to overcome. BUT. It IS much, much faster than the first iPad, and it's obvious there's a ton more RAM. And you can't beat the price.

reKon

Banned
I'm in this weird space, because I have an iPad and my phone is a Galaxy S3. You would think the Nexus would feel like the perfect balance between them, but honestly,to me, the Nexus feels more like a giant phone than a small tablet. That may change - 3 years with the iPad is a lot to overcome. BUT. It IS much, much faster than the first iPad, and it's obvious there's a ton more RAM. And you can't beat the price.

I don't understand how this could feel like a big phone to you...

This isn't a device that you can just easily whip around and handle. Even compared to the 5 inch screen phones, the entire body size is much bigger.

Vyer

The lack of a lot of apps tailored for a tablet definitely give it a 'big phone' feel to me sometimes.

Quick question for anyone using another browser: I'm using Boat as my primary browser since Chrome kind of sucks. I notice when hitting a YouTube link it gives me an option to open it with the browser or the YouTube app...but it doesn't let me set that as a default. Is that not possible with a browser other than Chrome?

We're like clones. I also have an S3 and ~3 years with the iPad. I pretty much use the iPad for web browsing or Flipboard. A little Jetpack Joyride now and then.

On the one hand, I could probably continue using these purposes ad infinitum. On the other hand, I like new gadgets.

And you're right, the price is less than half of an iPad.

Threi

notag
actually the first thing i thought when i held the new n7 was that it did resemble a giant phone more. Never felt that way about my old N7, which always felt like a tablet. Im pretty sure its just the narrower profile that makes it feel that way.

Matugi

Has anybody had problems with XpressConnect? I have to use that at my school to connect to wifi and I have it working on my GS4 but for some reason it doesn't work on my Nexus 7

mrhGB

Banned
Has anyone used Wugfresh to root their device? I'll be getting mine this week and I'm just wondering what's the best method.

Fox318

Have any of you guys moved from a 10 inch tablet to the Nexus 7? I still have my xoom and I've used smaller tablets but the lack of screen space seems like a loss.

FWIW, I have nothing wrong with mine.

Got it pre-launch at Best Buy and have had precisely zero problems. Runs better than my iPhone 5.

Does HBOGO work if I load it? Tired of waiting for the damn Play Store to give me a 'compatible' version.

I've heard that it works if you sideload it, but it's not officially supported. Haven't tried it myself.

Anyone have any recommendations for good tablet apps?

Best news aggregator/curator (I've heard Flipboard is good?). I'd also like an app where I can queue up online articles for later offline reading.

Flipboard is my favorite phone and tablet app ever. Flipboard + NeoGaf Latest posts twitter account is freaking awesome.

Just trust their curated news feeds, they're all really good, and you can get a ton of awesome content. I love Saturday and Sunday mornings because I sit on the deck with a coffee and sift through flipboard's news stories for like an hour. It's the only app that -- IMO -- truly improves the readability and scanability of a Newspaper.

I'm getting way too excited, I feel like a kid again. To be fair it'll be my first tablet (and Android) experience. I'm just getting sick of looking at all the accessory's I've bought for it :D

I keep reading review after review for no reason as I know it's the tablet I want. I bought a Nexus 10 earlier in the year and even though the screen is delicious, it is just too big and heavy for what I'd like.

SLV

Got an update from the place i ordered my Nexus 7, i will have it already tomorrow :D (Latvia), i was careful to ask the dude about the warranty and the issues plaguing this launch, he seemed not well informed about the problems, but cooperative in the end if the worst should happen, best thing is i got it without the need to pay the VAT (21 % here) <3 So in the end like 60 $ off the price. Now the wait for tomorrow... hnnng

I was really keen on this device till the last page of this threat... even when I was disappointed with the batt live on the Nexus 4. But I think I will wait and see what Apple does with the mini just to compare. I dont really want to spend £200 on a device that's not properly quality checked.

It would also be interesting to see what the guys experience when they launch it here in the UK.

gokieks

Have any of you guys moved from a 10 inch tablet to the Nexus 7? I still have my xoom and I've used smaller tablets but the lack of screen space seems like a loss.

Went from an (Android running) TouchPad to the N7. Other than reading PDFs (which sucks on a tablet regardless of size, IMO, even if larger screen helps a bit), I have not felt constrained by the smaller screen size.

ScOULaris

I ended up having to exchange my new Nexus 7 after only two weeks of ownership. The bottom (right in landscape) speakers started sounding all distorted, almost as if the speaker had blown. The problem would come and go, which makes me think that they weren't actually blown. Probably something with the speaker assembly inside causing the speaker to rattle.

Either way, it was pretty disappointing. My new one seems to be working fine thus far, so here's to hoping that it stays that way.

I did some switching back-and-forth this weekend between my iPad 1 and the Nexus. Now the iPad DOES seem oversized! Also, I was absolutely blown away by how much more vibrant the Nexus screen is (duh, and the iPad has obviously 'fixed' this in subsequent revs) and how much faster it is as well. So, yeah. I'm totally on board with this thing now. Success!

Any of you guys using it as a main reader? I am trying to find out how it compares weight wise to a kindle paperwhite and also the screen brightness options. I have the kindle keyboard and would like to have something the same size to read on. How are you guys finding it to read on for long periods of time?

gokieks

It's not bad, but I would never pick it over my Kindle Paperwhite (except for maybe PDFs if I'm forced to use that format). It's heavier than a Kindle Paperwhite but not annoyingly so, and the screen is more than bright enough (I use it at 10% for pretty much all situations other than under direct sunlight).

I will have to go and have a look at this device. If its a bit more weighty but still allows me to read, netflix and email then I am going to be very happy. I just hope the battery does not run down with one day of use.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Here ya go even though this is old hat to most of you! This is what awaited me when I got home. Tis a present from my Fiancee!

9547850863_e30ea5dba7_c.jpg

9548528171_3821aa0270_c.jpg

9551663328_ff439a49cb_c.jpg

9548873683_f9ab620fd4_c.jpg

photostream

9548870893_f8c6267099_c.jpg

9548870103_23cdf0c832_c.jpg

Schrade

Test the screen for stuck or dead pixels and also check for bubbles caused by dust particles. (Test using the solid colors, maximum brightness.... check every inch of the screen:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.mardut.display

Test the GPS on and off using multiple apps. Here's a tester, test for longer than 10 minutes and then switch apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest

Test your screen for Multitouch issues. Cross the streams and if anything freaks out you may have an issue:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rn.yamtt

Those are the three main problems I've experienced (screen for me..) or heard about.

RuGalz

^
GPS issue doesn't show up for me until I took it out for a drive.

Also there's issue with people's unit not working with Qi charger apparently. Mine seems to be one of them but it's no big deal for me since wireless charging wouldn't work with a case on it (too thick). Some people seem to be able to fix it by doing a bootloader reboot trick some need to open it up and clear the wire contacts. Haven't bothered to open mine up yet...

RuGalz

Personally, as tempting as it may be, I'm going to try not to pick up Google products on day 1 in the future. The QC is going to suffer when they are trying to price the product as low as possible. It makes more sense to wait for them to iron out issues on initial production run first...

Personally, as tempting as it may be, I'm going to try not to pick up Google products on day 1 in the future. The QC is going to suffer when they are trying to price the product as low as possible. It makes more sense to wait for them to iron out issues on initial production run first...

Pot luck, I guess. Two in our house, and both are fine.

RuGalz

Pot luck, I guess. Two in our house, and both are fine.

Well I have 2 more coming this week we will see how 'fine' they are. The percentage of some sort of minor defect seems pretty high comparatively speaking, esp if you start adding wireless charging and GPS issues. People brought their Qi chargers to store and only found 1 out of several that actually works out of box!

I have bought 2 N10 and neither has any slightest of issue. The complaints on the forums are also far less than the N7s. The material used is definitely of higher quality, hence, I honestly don't really care if Asus is building the next N10 if their QC level is this crappy.

Top Bottom