• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Mairu

I've never liked the website for watching stuff on Amazon Instant Watch. It's really unfortunate they don't release the app on non-Kindle android devices.

What dictates whether an existing app shows up on the Play store? I read all my magazines via Next Issue, and I can't find it on the store. Is this a 4.3 thing? Does everything have to be resubmitted in order to appear? I'm confused...

What dictates whether an existing app shows up on the Play store? I read all my magazines via Next Issue, and I can't find it on the store. Is this a 4.3 thing? Does everything have to be resubmitted in order to appear? I'm confused...

What is Next Issue? I can't find it on the Play store (using S3).

pestul

I finally get my 16gb tomorrow.. I hope I don't have any of those issues. The one that I was testing for a co-worker did have a trapped dust particle. When I showed it to her, she couldn't see it at all and thus didn't care. I'm pretty picky, so I don't know if I could tolerate it...

GPS seemed to be fine, and I only managed to lock it up once after hours of usage (in settings).

Bullza2o

I installed a Dead Pixel Test app, and I noticed a single red pixel when the screen is black. This only happens when it's black, but looking carefully on a red screen the same pixel is faintly black, I think. How do I fix this? Thanks.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I swear, right after we get done trashing the YouTube app, they release an updated version properly formatted for tablets.

Awesome.

Schrade

I installed a Dead Pixel Test app, and I noticed a single red pixel when the screen is black. This only happens when it's black, but looking carefully on a red screen the same pixel is faintly black, I think. How do I fix this? Thanks.

That sounds like a stuck pixel. Look for stuck pixel exercisers in the play store.

Basically, they'll either place a block of cycling colors on the screen, you move it to where you need a pixel exercised or it'll just do the entire screen. You can also try to massage the spot a little bit with some pressure once in a while.

Some people can get lucky and unstick a pixel. Depends on how badly it's stuck.

Bullza2o

That sounds like a stuck pixel. Look for stuck pixel exercisers in the play store.

Basically, they'll either place a block of cycling colors on the screen, you move it to where you need a pixel exercised or it'll just do the entire screen. You can also try to massage the spot a little bit with some pressure once in a while.

Some people can get lucky and unstick a pixel. Depends on how badly it's stuck.

The first day I got it I did the same test and everything was perfect, but just yesterday I checked again and saw the red pixel.

I used a fixer app, and it flashed a bunch of colors very quickly for 30 minutes, but it's still there. I'm doing it a second time.

So does this mean it will most likely stay stuck? Will this get worse over time if I don't get it fixed?

I had to do yet another factory reset after receiving the Nexus screen of death. I am asking Amazon for a return. My old Acer Iconia has never had any issues.

It's unfortunate, because overall it's a nice device. Too bad Sony refuses to make a competing 7 inch tablet.

What is Next Issue? I can't find it on the Play store (using S3).

Next Issue is an app that basically lets you read any Time Inc., Conde Nast, (and others) magazines for $15 a month. It's the Netflix of magazines, basically. iOs and Android, but I can't find the Android version, which is nutty. I'm watching my wife use it on an older Samsung tablet, but can't find it on the Nexus.

VPhys

Idle battery life is really bad on this thing. Other than that I have no complaints.

It seems to drain a lot just checking emails and what not, even if the screen is off. I just remember my Ipad 4th gen could sit idle for days and only loose a percent or two.

Idle battery life is really bad on this thing. Other than that I have no complaints.

It seems to drain a lot just checking emails and what not, even if the screen is off. I just remember my Ipad 4th gen could sit idle for days and only loose a percent or two.

At this point this is my only gripe with my Android devices vs my older iDevices. That said I'm using them so they drain anyway so it isn't much of an issue for me.... It makes it harder to recommend to lighter users.

ScOULaris

I have not experienced that at all. I've let my tablet sit all day while I am work for 8-9 hours, and when I get home it has only lost maybe 3-5%.

Most of the time I only charge the tablet once every three days or so.

Is the 16GB good enough for you guys? It seems most of you got the 16GB but I figured 32GB would be more popular with how little a bump in price it is to double the storage.

mrhGB

Banned
Is the 16GB good enough for you guys? It seems most of you got the 16GB but I figured 32GB would be more popular with how little a bump in price it is to double the storage.

I was going to get the 16GB model but I know it wouldn't be enough, and yeah, for £40 I'm not going to risk running out of space.

Schrade

Next Issue is an app that basically lets you read any Time Inc., Conde Nast, (and others) magazines for $15 a month. It's the Netflix of magazines, basically. iOs and Android, but I can't find the Android version, which is nutty. I'm watching my wife use it on an older Samsung tablet, but can't find it on the Nexus.

Here's the link to Next Issue on the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nim.discovery

It says it's incompatible with my Nexus 7 (2013)

WoodWERD

Has anyone bought the Slimline Poetic, Moko, or any of the other highly rated cheap cases on Amazon? I think I'm going to need something that offers some pretty decent protection as I plan to be doing some traveling. I see there's a Seido Active case on there that looks solid but it's like $45. I'm trying to keep the added bulk down while still giving some decent protection.

RuGalz

Has anyone bought the Slimline Poetic, Moko, or any of the other highly rated cheap cases on Amazon? I think I'm going to need something that offers some pretty decent protection as I plan to be doing some traveling. I see there's a Seido Active case on there that looks solid but it's like $45. I'm trying to keep the added bulk down while still giving some decent protection.

Bought my rooCase Origami version for 99 cents plus shipping. Love the versatility.

how little a bump in price it is to double the storage.

Didn't it take a few more days for the 32 to hit stores? But, yes, when even my own wife said, '$40 for double the storage? DUH.'...

Btw, after one week, I LOVE this thing. I'm still stunned by the screen when it's side-by-side with my iPad 1.

RuGalz

Hrm...looks interesting but covers a lot of the face, which I'm not a big fan of.

Well that's what the bezel is for :p

Plus it's more secure than just having it clipped to the edges which has potential to pop out when dropped, seen it happened a couple times with my fiancee's phone.

Threi

notag
battery life?

nv45JoOl.png
vxkgCVdl.png

seems fine to me.

reKon

Banned
battery life?

nv45JoOl.png
vxkgCVdl.png

seems fine to me.

I am getting similar results. Half of the time is spent video streaming, but I do have WiFi set to off when it's inactive. Though when I had WiFi set to always connect, I think I would probably lose like 5%-%6 in like 10-12 hours...

I've been so busy with work that I actually haven't used the tablet much at all. I checked last night and I believe it was at at 3.5 hours of screen time at 55%, after being on for over 2 days. I had streamed video for an hour before I went to bed. So pretty much it's consistently 6-7 hours on screen for me with medium/heavy usage

gokieks

A major factor in battery life is going to be the brightness the screen is set at - I keep mine at 10% basically all the time, and the battery life is fantastic (about 2 days of which includes ~20 hours of idling on IRC with occasional use, ~1 hour of email/web use, and ~1.5 hour of video watching). I find that brightness to be more than sufficient, and anything above, say, 40 I would find eye searingly bright in any indoor condition (that doesn't involve open/clear roof, anyway).

GhaleonEB

My daughter is getting the message, "Can't connect to the camera," when she tries to take a picture. I've googled around and found mentions of the error, but no solutions. Anyone else get this? A major feature just turned itself off. :(

Edit: and how do you check for the "GPS bug". I've heard of this but don't know what it is.

Bullza2o

I tried multiple pixel fixer apps, but it seems that it only got worse. Now I can see the red dot on blue backgrounds on top of the black background initially. :(

I think I'm gonna have to contact Amazon for a replacement. I'd be okay if this was on the corner, but it's more in the middle of the bottom half.

EDIT: Does anyone know if watching videos for a prolonged period of time have an effect on getting stuck pixels? I'm trying to figure out how this happened, because I know when I got it early this month it didn't have this.

Drahcir

Welp, it's been three weeks since I bought my Nexus 7 and last night I ran into my first problem. I turned it on and the thing was stuck on the X logo screen. It wouldn't load past it. I restarted it and tried again and even let it sit for about five minutes, but it wouldn't go any further. I wanted to see if I could get it replaced at Staples where I got it, but I was past the 14 day refund/exchange period.

So, I tried the factory reset using Recovery mode and wiped it clean and it worked. I'm just afraid it's going to keep happening until it completely craps out.

Vyer

Welp, it's been three weeks since I bought my Nexus 7 and last night I ran into my first problem. I turned it on and the thing was stuck on the X logo screen. It wouldn't load past it. I restarted it and tried again and even let it sit for about five minutes, but it wouldn't go any further. I wanted to see if I could get it replaced at Staples where I got it, but I was past the 14 day refund/exchange period.

So, I tried the factory reset using Recovery mode and wiped it clean and it worked. I'm just afraid it's going to keep happening until it completely craps out.

How far past the 14 days were you? Did you get it at launch?

Hopefully just a one time thing.

rc213

Google will exchange no problems.

Drahcir

How far past the 14 days were you? Did you get it at launch?

Hopefully just a one time thing.

It's been 23 days now. It's working now that I did a reset, but it can always reoccur like others have said. :(

I didn't buy from Google though and I read someone say they will not replace it if it was bought elsewhere. I'm going to ask Google anyway to make sure.

Mine's been okay, except a couple of times some app has glitched out and just killed the battery overnight. Usually Pocket or MediaServer. It seems like there's a bug that keeps it from going into full standby all the time.

My roommate picked up the slim Moko case and it's kind of disappointing. Build quality seems a bit shoddy and the latch doesn't close all the way. I had the same case for the original Nexus 7 and that version was a lot better, this one just seems rushed.

VPhys

I have not experienced that at all. I've let my tablet sit all day while I am work for 8-9 hours, and when I get home it has only lost maybe 3-5%.

Most of the time I only charge the tablet once every three days or so.

Here's what I'm talking about.

pic.png

Top Bottom