• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Vyer

Buy away now that it has been confirmes both the GPS and Touch Screen issues are solved in the new update.

Makes it the best tablet on the market currently IMO.

So you don't get the speaker hiss/crackle?

I went through two models with it and threads on android forums tend to call it a common thing, bit if there are models without it I might try to exchange again.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I sold my iPad 2 today and went back to the nexus. I had the 1st gen Nexus 7 before selling it to go try out iPads for awhile. Well I got tired of living in Apples closed little world and lugging that huge fucker everywhere. So far I'm loving the HD screen, and I like being able to tinker with the OS again! So far so good, hope it stays that way.

Schrade

So I sold my iPad 2 today and went back to the nexus. I had the 1st gen Nexus 7 before selling it to go try out iPads for awhile. Well I got tired of living in Apples closed little world and lugging that huge fucker everywhere. So far I'm loving the HD screen, and I like being able to tinker with the OS again! So far so good, hope it stays that way.

I could never understand how people can stand having to use iTunes to do everything with their device. Stuff like that makes me feel uncomfortable heh.

I am using itunes for all my media and do not have any problems with it. I enjoy having one program that can do my music, podcasts video and audio, movies and tvshow. No chore here

mrhGB

Banned
Still waiting, I paid for before noon shipping and it's 11:34am ATM, either they're going to be late or they're waiting until the very last minute. I'll give me first impressions if it ever arrives.

JordanKZ

As I live on a tiny island in the North Sea, I have to wait until mine turns up. It just hit Aberdeen this afternoon. So it'll be on one of the boats over the weekend. Impressions on Monday.

You know one thing I haven't seen discussed much and I'm unclear on is how the multiple users things work. Can you set it up for two people so that when a person signs in, his respective Google account is logged in to all the apps? Or is it just to restrict app usage to users?

mrhGB

Banned
Cool, awaiting your feedback...

I got it about an hour late, but whatever, it's here.

So far, so good. No screen issues at all. And my God what a screen it is, it's beautiful. So far I've got her rooted which was a piece of piss even for a first timer like myself. I haven't had much time with it but it's good so far, I'll give some proper thoughts on it later.

Vyer

I could never understand how people can stand having to use iTunes to do everything with their device. Stuff like that makes me feel uncomfortable heh.

I use the 7 as my primary tablet currently but prior hadn't had to use iTunes for anything other than importing my Amazon bought music into Match for prob almost 2 years.

JordanKZ

You know one thing I haven't seen discussed much and I'm unclear on is how the multiple users things work. Can you set it up for two people so that when a person signs in, his respective Google account is logged in to all the apps? Or is it just to restrict app usage to users?

EDIT: Never mind, all of the links I were finding were useless.

mrhGB

Banned
I use the 7 as my primary tablet currently but prior hadn't had to use iTunes for anything other than importing my Amazon bought music into Match for prob almost 2 years.

EDIT: I will say I HATE the volume and power buttons, you can barely feel them and they're a pain in the ass to press, they really should have been more raised.

Oops, I meant to edit my post, not quote you. Sorry.

So far, so good. No screen issues at all. And my God what a screen it is, it's beautiful. So far I've got her rooted which was a piece of piss even for a first timer like myself. I haven't had much time with it but it's good so far, I'll give some proper thoughts on it later.

Nice one... I am going to give this device a good look at when its in the shops. My biggest thing is the battery. I cannot have a tablet that I need to charge every night as my multi plug is already full with other crap thats charging :-}

pestul

i don't think i had picasso or used it. i did notice mediaserver draining my battery.

anyways. i disabled current. and so far battery have been pretty good so far.

also still waiting on my case. hopefully arrives tomorrow.
Yeah mediaserver was my primary drainer at about 37% usage. Currents and Now were already disabled right away. I'm sure it was Picasso attempting to rescan my huge library. I'm on day three and I can say with confidence that I'm glad I waited for tablets to get truly awesome before making the plunge. Everyone I show it to at work wants one immediately lol.

Edit: nm its just Google music player. Checked battery and mediaserver cuilprit was back again. I have to block that app from starting on its own.

JudgeN

Are there any good ways/apps of arranging photo's manually? I know windows 7 auto sorts by default so i can't really do it in windows.

I keep hearing about rooting. What are the benefits? How easy is it for someone who has absolutely no clue what he's doing?

twofold

Not sure if anyone's posted this here or not, but Tesco has a ridiculously good deal on the Nexus 7 at the moment.

First up, sign up for Quidco.com. Quidco is a website that offers cashback on various items bought online. It's really awesome - saved me close to £500 over the years.

Access Tesco through your Quidco link. This way, you'll get cashback on your Nexus 7 purchase (mine tracked at just over £8 for my 16gb Nexus 7 purchase).

Then, on Tesco's site, use the voucher code 'TDX-MJGQ' to knock off £20 from the price. I also got double clubcard points since I used my Tesco credit card, so I made £3.58 worth of points clubcard points, too.

In total, my Nexus 7 16gb cost me just over £165. Absolute bargain at that price.

RuGalz

1st unit:

no dead/stuck pixel, had gps lock issue until firmware update, wireless charge does not work. too late to return it for exchange so I will probably just open it to fix wireless charge later or send it in to google when I feel like it.

2nd unit:

gps does not work AT ALL and I couldn't get update from Google so I had to unlock it and flash it myself then gps works, 2 stuck pixels, wireless charge works. probably going to keep it just because wireless charge works and the stuck pixels are at corner of the screen.

3rd unit:

arriving today... guess we'll see how it goes...

They need to push the new update out quicker. The fundamental issues it fixes is too important.

JordanKZ

They need to push the new update out quicker. The fundamental issues it fixes is too important.

Google don't do mass roll outs any more and for a damn good reason. I work for a software company and we do something similar. You don't want to have to deploy on thousands (if not millions) of devices to find out that there's an issue and have to send out yet another update to fix the problem. Staged rolls out stop this as you can control the volume of the roll out. If you're that bothered you could have flashed it yourself without much of a problem.

As for dead pixels? When you've got 2,280,000 pixels to deal with, one or two are likely to show up. Panels are never perfect.

RuGalz

Google don't do mass roll outs any more and for a damn good reason. I work for a software company and we do something similar. You don't want to have to deploy on thousands (if not millions) of devices to find out that there's an issue and have to send out yet another update to fix the problem. Staged rolls out stop this as you can control the volume of the roll out.

If you're that bothered you could have flashed it yourself without much of a problem.

I understand the reason but the experience for first time consumer is terrible without the update -- too many god damn gps, muti touch issues. All the devices do the initial update when you first boot up anyway so push out this new one instead of the other broken piece of crap. This tablet is for my sister, she wouldn't know shit about flashing it herself if it wasn't for me. This isn't iPad where you just click a few buttons in iTune.

As for dead pixels? When you've got 2,280,000 pixels to deal with, one or two are likely to show up. Panels are never perfect.

In case it's not clear, I bought 3 units to KEEP. I'm not looking for a perfect panel. I just wish all 3 are as perfect as they can be instead of each having its own issue.

Not sure if anyone's posted this here or not, but Tesco has a ridiculously good deal on the Nexus 7 at the moment.

First up, sign up for Quidco.com. Quidco is a website that offers cashback on various items bought online. It's really awesome - saved me close to £500 over the years.

Access Tesco through your Quidco link. This way, you'll get cashback on your Nexus 7 purchase (mine tracked at just over £8 for my 16gb Nexus 7 purchase).

Then, on Tesco's site, use the voucher code 'TDX-MJGQ' to knock off £20 from the price. I also got double clubcard points since I used my Tesco credit card, so I made £3.58 worth of points clubcard points, too.

In total, my Nexus 7 16gb cost me just over £165. Absolute bargain at that price.

damn thats a good deal. Thanks for posting

mrhGB

Banned
I keep hearing about rooting. What are the benefits? How easy is it for someone who has absolutely no clue what he's doing?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to tablets and Android and I had no problem rooting it at all, I used wugfresh which makes it very simple. If you can read and follow on screen instructions you'll be fine, plus there's Youtube videos that will guide you through it.

So far I'm loving it, I still can't get over the screen. The only negatives so far are the volume/power buttons as I said earlier and the length of the power cable, it's so short it's just ridiculous.

RuGalz

A hard reboot didn't do it, but I'm going to try again in the morning. If that doesn't do it, I'll try to do some research, then look into returning it.

If that is the case I'd be more inclined to get it exchanged if you don't want to go through the hassle of flashing a new factory image on it to test. Potentially it could be bad flash memory screwing with driver/software.

pestul

Goddammit..

iXfKXRJw4n4Qh.png

I need to figure this one out cause it's really pissing me off. Also, I have typing noises shut off yet I can still hear them lol. Perhaps another reboot is in order.

GhaleonEB

If that is the case I'd be more inclined to get it exchanged if you don't want to go through the hassle of flashing a new factory image on it to test. Potentially it could be bad flash memory screwing with driver/software.

Fortunately, a hard reboot this morning fixed it. She'd done one already, but a second did it. Hopefully it's just a software glitch.

I've only played with it for a few minutes, but it seems to use separate Google accounts. I set up my old Nexus 7 for my mom to use, and her "user" requires its own Google login to download apps, log into Gmail, etc. Setting up the second user is basically the same process as the out-of-box setup. It doesn't even see any of my original apps by default, just the standard Google apps (though I believe there's a way for me to share my apps to the other account if I want to).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So you don't get the speaker hiss/crackle?

I went through two models with it and threads on android forums tend to call it a common thing, bit if there are models without it I might try to exchange again.

Nope. I watched Mallrats on this thing last night through the Xfinity app, and I didn't want to bother with my IEMs. I had no sound issues what so ever.

kehs

Banned
Goddammit..

I need to figure this one out cause it's really pissing me off. Also, I have typing noises shut off yet I can still hear them lol. Perhaps another reboot is in order.

Mediaserver deals with photos/music/videos. Try turning off all the sync stuff for your goggle accounts/facebook and then start turning them on piece by piece. i.e. only sync music, then add g+ photos, then facebook, etc.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to tablets and Android and I had no problem rooting it at all, I used wugfresh which makes it very simple. If you can read and follow on screen instructions you'll be fine, plus there's Youtube videos that will guide you through it.

So far I'm loving it, I still can't get over the screen. The only negatives so far are the volume/power buttons as I said earlier and the length of the power cable, it's so short it's just ridiculous.
What are the benefits of rooting?

Vanillalite

Funny as we basically 110% agree if you look at my review. We both love the screen, and have the same minor complaints.

pestul

Mediaserver deals with photos/music/videos. Try turning off all the sync stuff for your goggle accounts/facebook and then start turning them on piece by piece. i.e. only sync music, then add g+ photos, then facebook, etc.

The only things I have sync on for are app data, calendar, contacts, gmail and people. I'll try your suggestion anyway though thanks. I've noticed that Music Player will start on its own every boot. In cached processes only suspect one there seems to be media, but I think that one might necessary.

pestul

Wow.. even the Gallery app has some really sneaky imbedded sync settings. Even when you think you've turned them off in accounts, there are more options in the app itself (sync over wifi for instance). Disabled some of these to see if it helps. :S

DarkFlow

Banned
So one thing I'm noticing today. The back is getting very warm up near the back camera even when not on the charger. Is this normal for this model or do I need to replace this thing already?

Vanillalite

So one thing I'm noticing today. The back is getting very warm up near the back camera even when not on the charger. Is this normal for this model or do I need to replace this thing already?

Seems to be a symptom of all the current high end tablets. Fast chipset to power super displays means these things get warm. People had the same issue with the retina iPad when it hit.

SLV

mine gets like that too, i think it is normal.

Threi

notag
Got the JSS15Q update today...can't really be bothered to test GPS since I don't use it, but so far crossing axis on touch seems to be improved somewhat. I didn't have any significant touch problems though so i can't say too much.

SLV

I am just glad that i got no issues at all. The only thing that bothers me is that i hear some rattling when i shake the nexus coming from speaker side, the speakers are not crackling or buzzing when playing sound at all though. So i am happy for now.

Mairu

Picked up a Nokia Wireless Charging pad since it was on sale at AT&T ($25)

Pretty cool. I definitely like having the ability to charge it without having to bother with plugging something in. Not sure how fast it charges since I just left it there overnight.

Top Bottom