• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
9565373969_fa191e5806_c.jpg

Bought this baby on Monday with all my birthday money. O am absolutely loving it so far. I looked back and there doesn't seem to be a consensus *best* case. Any recommendations? Colors aside from black would be nice but not a huge deal.

No problems at all, by the way. Battery life has been fantastic. Today my girlfriend played some games on it for a few hours while I was driving, and I've been messing around with it for a few hours now. My battery screen says its been running strong at 50% after 13 hours. Not bad at all.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Bought this baby on Monday with all my birthday money. O am absolutely loving it so far. I looked back and there doesn't seem to be a consensus *best* case. Any recommendations? Colors aside from black would be nice but not a huge deal.

No problems at all, by the way. Battery life has been fantastic. Today my girlfriend played some games on it for a few hours while I was driving, and I've been messing around with it for a few hours now. My battery screen says its been running strong at 50% after 13 hours. Not bad at all.

I bought this case from amazon for 10 dollars

JQyHbZll.jpg

It's a cheap Chinese made case, but it's surprisingly good.

It's slim fitting, well made, light, and has magnets that wake/sleep the screen, plus a smart cover ripoff standing mode. I bought the white one and it looks pretty nice.

RuGalz

My daughter is getting the message, "Can't connect to the camera," when she tries to take a picture. I've googled around and found mentions of the error, but no solutions. Anyone else get this? A major feature just turned itself off. :(

Edit: and how do you check for the "GPS bug". I've heard of this but don't know what it is.

Does reboot makes the camera issue go away? Haven't seen that happening on mine.

Wrt GPS issue, setup navigation to some where while on Wifi, walk/drive there using turn by turn navigation. The unit will lose GPS signal typically between 5-30 minutes and then the GPS completely stop working until you reboot the unit.

Edit: looks like Google is starting to roll out update that is supposed to address the multitouch issue...

pestul

Had the weird mediaserver wakelock bug that drained ~40% of the battery over 5hrs, but I believe I've solved it now. Be careful with syncing from Picasso Web albums as I think that was the cause. I had hundreds of photos in there that as soon as I signed into my Google account for the first time, it attempted to sync everything to my N7. I stopped it, disabled the function and googled how to clean out the gallery cache. Also, the Currents program seems to run some kind of audio module, but I'm not sure if it's a culprit as well.

So far I'm absolutely loving the device. I only suffered one hard lock when attempting to do a speedtest.net internet test. My advice is to not install some of these older apps that probably haven't seen updates to be fully compatible with 4.3 yet.. they seem to be troublesome.

Mairu

I'm pretty pleased with the battery life, but it's still disappointing coming from an iPad Mini/iOS. I think I'd give up some thinness for a bit more battery life.

I'm never going to see something like this-
I definitely have to treat it more like a phone where it needs to be charged almost every day or every other day with heavy usage.

Vyer

I'm glad I didn't have this issue but good to see it addressed quickly.

I wish they could fix the speakers. :(

I'm pretty pleased with the battery life, but it's still disappointing coming from an iPad Mini/iOS. I think I'd give up some thinness for a bit more battery life.

Yeah it's not bad but I feel the same. Turned off the recommended stuff in here (except Google Now), and don't use Chrome but its still not as great as I would like.

reKon

Banned

I definitely have to treat it more like a phone where it needs to be charged almost every day or every other day with heavy usage.

that screenshot tells me that they were listening to a music unless there's another explanation for 15 hours of usage.

KarmaCow

Dumb question but just to make sure, there is no difference between the American Nexus 7 vs the Canadian one right? I was told some devices like the Kindle have their stores region locked so I don't want to buy a Nexus 7 in the US and run into region issues.

Bullza2o

I got my replacement from Amazon, overnight shipping was great!

So far no problems with any pixels, and it downloaded all my apps automatically. One of the wallpapers is missing though, the yellow, blue, red, green one.

Also, this one doesn't have any touchscreen issues that I had with my previous one. So no more losing any touch recognitions. Overall this 2nd unit is a lot better than my first.

Is there anything I should do to prevent another pixel from getting stuck or from dying?

Mairu

that screenshot tells me that they were listening to a music unless there's another explanation for 15 hours of usage.

Lots of reading (comics/books), some games (about the same thing that I do on my N7)

never really listen to music on tablets

It says "time since last full charge." Does that mean the timer doesn't get reset if you don't get it to 100%? Dunno how it works on iOS.

SLV

Does anyone know if the new nexus will flawlessly work with Alpine advanced bluetooth head units for cars ? got a new car, and i am planing a new project, nexus as the center piece with wireless charging and bluetooth audio streaming (3.0).

It works with an ipad. With audio being good quality afaik. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW1ACrsjJV8

reKon

Banned

There still has to be explanation for this though. I don't know what the iPad includes for "usage", but I knot that the iPad does not get 15 hours of screen... unless it wasn't connected to wifi and brightness was low. But then again, I've been able to get 8 hours out of my Nexus with medium usage and I haven't done any E-Book reading yet, so maybe I'm just unaware of the battery savings.

Vyer

There still has to be explanation for this though. I don't know what the iPad includes for "usage", but I knot that the iPad does not get 15 hours of screen... unless it wasn't connected to wifi and brightness was low. But then again, I've been able to get 8 hours out of my Nexus with medium usage and I haven't done any E-Book reading yet, so maybe I'm just unaware of the battery savings.

Eh, reviews back at release could hit anywhere from 10-13 hours in tests. And thats with stuff like looping video and constant web page loading. If its just kindle reading and maybe a little gaming its certainly possible.

Had the weird mediaserver wakelock bug that drained ~40% of the battery over 5hrs, but I believe I've solved it now. Be careful with syncing from Picasso Web albums as I think that was the cause. I had hundreds of photos in there that as soon as I signed into my Google account for the first time, it attempted to sync everything to my N7. I stopped it, disabled the function and googled how to clean out the gallery cache. Also, the Currents program seems to run some kind of audio module, but I'm not sure if it's a culprit as well.

So far I'm absolutely loving the device. I only suffered one hard lock when attempting to do a speedtest.net internet test. My advice is to not install some of these older apps that probably haven't seen updates to be fully compatible with 4.3 yet.. they seem to be troublesome.

i don't think i had picasso or used it. i did notice mediaserver draining my battery.

anyways. i disabled current. and so far battery have been pretty good so far.

also still waiting on my case. hopefully arrives tomorrow.

Mairu

It absolutely does though - and I never bother with any sort of battery management/adjustment of settings on iPads

sample 2 from when i first got the mini -

pheonix991

Neo Member
The roo slim folio case is pretty bad. I don't recommend it. The Portrait mode sucks. It has an odor. The stylus kinda sucks too. But, $5, you get what you pay for.

RkOwnage

Has anyone found a good dock this tablet yet? looking to use it as an alarm and would like to have a dock for it to go on my night stand, thanks!

kinggroin

Banned
It absolutely does though - and I never bother with any sort of battery management/adjustment of settings on iPads

sample 2 from when i first got the mini -

That's misleading no? Time since last FULL charge doesn't mean you used it for 18 hrs straight without touching the charger. It'd be nice if iOS had a screen on time reading with battery charge indicators underneath.

Vyer

That's misleading no? Time since last FULL charge doesn't mean you used it for 18 hrs straight without touching the charger. It'd be nice if iOS had a screen on time reading with battery charge indicators underneath.

Iirc if it had touched a charger it tells the user like in the iphone screenshot he posted a few posts back

Top Bottom