• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

DarkFlow

Banned
What about reading while you're laying down? Like holding it above your face while laying down? Or even just sitting in a chair with your hand through the handle thing.

It works fine for that, it's nice and tight so you could swing it around and most likely not lose it lol. I've used it in bed the way your asking, it's more comfy to use in widescreen mode for me that way, but you can use it in portrait very easily.

RubenCordeiro

Neo Member
Waiting it to be released in Europe.

At first I was inclined to get the Samsung galaxy note 8, but the Nexus' fantastic IPS panel and cheaper price won me over.

Cyrillus

Received my rooCASE today. Seems pretty decent for the price, and I really like the portrait and landscape modes, but this (forgive the shitty picture quality/lighting):
fV3BFwM.jpg
just seems like some product designer taking the piss.

DarkFlow

Banned
Why not? random reboots isn't something I would consider normal

Because It might be software from what I'm reading on XDA. I have 30 days, and I'm on like day 5. If I can't get it worked out by the end of the week I'll see about returning it. Other then the reboots it's a perfect device, no light bleeding, no dead pixels, I don't want to roll the dice again and come up worse if it's something I can fix.

Schrade

oh. that's a strap for your hand? i thought it was to hold paper LOL

It's actually to hold your bar of soap while you're in the tub watching/listening to Mark Cerny speak.

I find it hilarious that you didn't know what it was for. That's pretty funny :) I think they even show that in the pictures on Amazon. Paper? For your Tablet? :-D

Vyer

Because It might be software from what I'm reading on XDA. I have 30 days, and I'm on like day 5. If I can't get it worked out by the end of the week I'll see about returning it. Other then the reboots it's a perfect device, no light bleeding, no dead pixels, I don't want to roll the dice again and come up worse if it's something I can fix.

Ah, I hadn't heard random reboots were a 'thing', like I'd heard about GPS, touch screen, speakers, etc. That's a little more understandable, though I wouldn't have a problem exchanging if something is wrong with an item I paid for, even if it's more than once. Honestly though reboots would bother me a lot more than a little light bleed, for example.

DarkFlow

Banned
Ah, I hadn't heard random reboots were a 'thing', like I'd heard about GPS, touch screen, speakers, etc. That's a little more understandable, though I wouldn't have a problem exchanging if something is wrong with an item I paid for, even if it's more than once. Honestly though reboots would bother me a lot more than a little light bleed, for example.

Yeah, Some people have it worse like it locks up on the X at start up and that's all she wrote or it reboots a shit load in one day. I've only had a few, once when using the Youtube app. My GF made me watch Mileys drug video, so maybe that was a sign. The others were just random.

This is the fix I've found, and the reason.

The cause is your stock images are corrupted. This causes random reboots (whether you notice them or not). During the random reboots, your user data gets corrupted and makes it unable to boot.

The solution is to reflash the Google supplied factory image or a CM based rom. Many people are reporting this is a good fix until Google updates.

I think the problem came from the original original build our N7s shipped with, then pile on 2 updates, and something goes wonky. The Google supplied image is the final build (no updates) and no reboots.

Some have had to flash CM then flash back to stock to really clear it out. Flashing stock should format all partitions but never hurts to flash a CM real quick then jump back. CM works great too. I havent heard of any CM users rebooting.

So far I've been running CM for a day and no reboots, so I might have fixed it. I shall see.

Edit: well it's still rebooting even on CM, back it goes. Anyone ever exchanged at gamestop before? I have a 16Gb model and want to upgrade to the 32 by paying the difference when I exchange, think they will let me?

U2NUMB

Still very frustrated that my tablet just seems to stop updating things like Email and the google cards. Fully connected to wifi and multiple wifi connections throughout the day and looking just now my email accounts have not updated since the 23rd on their own.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Edit: Alright finally figured it out.. you need to go into your Data section in the settings and set it to auto sync data. No idea why this was not checked by default. Took me weeks to figure that out.

pestul

Still very frustrated that my tablet just seems to stop updating things like Email and the google cards. Fully connected to wifi and multiple wifi connections throughout the day and looking just now my email accounts have not updated since the 23rd on their own.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Edit: Alright finally figured it out.. you need to go into your Data section in the settings and set it to auto sync data. No idea why this was not checked by default. Took me weeks to figure that out.
Yep.. just saw your edit as posting. There's like 2 or 3 sneaky sync settings in 4.3 that conflict with each other.

JordanKZ

I should note that I got mine yesterday here in the UK. It's such a huge step up from the first gen model, its actually kind of staggering.

Mindwipe

I'm coming to Usa soon (I'm from the uk) and was thinking of picking up the 32 gb version of this, since it's only £172 over there compared to the £200+ over here. Is it worth it? Seems like some people have been having problems and that'd be a pain in the ass to sort out when I'm back over here. Alternatively, I could get the old nexus 32gb or the Samsung galaxy tab 8 gb for £179 over here

:-S I kinda want it for the 12 hour flight, but want the best for my money...

I'm in a very similar boat.

But there's a £20 off voucher for Tesco to get the new one, so by the time you've bought a UK charger I'm getting to the point where it's just not a big saving for the risk.

scently

I should note that I got mine yesterday here in the UK. It's such a huge step up from the first gen model, its actually kind of staggering.

Indeed. I got mine yesterday and this is the first time I am using an Android device that I feel is as good as iPad in terms of how smooth, responsive and slick it is.

Cloudy

Banned
Does anyone else have an issue with an unresponsive touchscreen at times? The only fix I've found is to power it down. Should I try to replace my unit?

I'm in a very similar boat.

But there's a £20 off voucher for Tesco to get the new one, so by the time you've bought a UK charger I'm getting to the point where it's just not a big saving for the risk.

Is there? Wheres the voucher? That sounds like a great compromise! Might do that - get it for the plane that way too :)

Had it for four days and am absolutely in love with it. I've been leaving my Zenbook Prime at home in favour of it for classes so far and haven't missed it (with the keyboard attachment by Poetic). The screen is wonderful. The only complaint I have is regarding Android rather than the tablet (specifically the YouTube app): Yo where's my background play option?

Tempted to get one of the new asus memopads, they're only £95 in the us or £130 here, given all I want to do is watch films and read manga on it, I don't think I need the extra grunt of the new nexus 7 (even though it's so awesome, sigh)

Welp, release date is tomorrow. My order still hasn't dispatched from Tesco, and a lot of people on HUKD are saying Tesco have told them orders will now ship ON release date instead of being delivered by release date.

My order still says 'by 14th September', too. At least I got £40 off the 32GB one, I guess.

RuGalz

Tempted to get one of the new asus memopads, they're only £95 in the us or £130 here, given all I want to do is watch films and read manga on it, I don't think I need the extra grunt of the new nexus 7 (even though it's so awesome, sigh)

I almost did the same... but da screen man, it's worth it.

Welp, release date is tomorrow. My order still hasn't dispatched from Tesco, and a lot of people on HUKD are saying Tesco have told them orders will now ship ON release date instead of being delivered by release date.

My order still says 'by 14th September', too. At least I got £40 off the 32GB one, I guess.

Strange, I just went to order one and use click-and-collect and it says I can pick it up on Friday

RuGalz

I know, looks so good! Future proofing is a good point. Then again, by the time I'm fed up of the memopad, the nexus will have fallen to a reasonably US comparable price... Oh I don't know.

The way I saw it was, if I end up wanting to upgrade memopad next year (I'm sure next memopad will have N7 FHD screen) vs using this N7 for 2-3 years or more. I'm not really saving money in the long run, so I might as well enjoy that screen right away. The main advantage of memopad is micro sd port but Asus software update for their devices really haven't been that great.

Ashes

Banned
I still might get it from tesco, for their 1year accidental cover gurrantee. But except for that I'm thinking to just get it from john lewis.

My order from Game was shipped out on Tuesday and it's supposed to arrive on Wednesday. The two things I've been waiting literally months for both arrive tomorrow, my N7 and spelunky on vita. I won't know what to play with first haha

Has anyone else ordered from Game?

It's actually to hold your bar of soap while you're in the tub watching/listening to Mark Cerny speak.

I find it hilarious that you didn't know what it was for. That's pretty funny :) I think they even show that in the pictures on Amazon. Paper? For your Tablet? :-D

tbh i only looked at the first picture and price. ;P

also. the hand strap leaves a mark on the screen. basically wipe the grease off where it lays on. hopefully it doesn't do anything other than that.

mrhGB

Banned
Nexus 7 (2013) now available in UK, Germany, France, Spain, and Japan

Had mine for nearly a week, slow pokes!

And yeah, I'm using the hell out of mine as well. I have a tendency to buy expensive tech and never use it but that's really not the case this time. I'm on the thing all the time.

Also, is it possible to buy a longer charging cable? I know Google says to only use the one in the box but it's so damn short, I want to be able to use it while it charges.

Vyer

Did the update reset the display sleep setting for anyone?

I noticed after the update that the screen was dimming while reading comics on comixology. I don't know if I had the timer set higher and it bumped back down after the update, or the comixology app needs to be updated to stop the screen from dimming while reading or what.

Also, it seems like Boat browser's touch responsiveness is actually worse after the update.

Threi

notag
Can I just say I use the shit out of this thing.
I hear ya on that.

Thats the whole reason I went through the trouble of getting the new Nexus 7 although the original was serving me fine: Although it's functionally not as great use of money as a netbook, I still use it so damn much. By far and away my most-used electronic device.

Threi

notag
Its a much better investment than a netbook. You'd get an underperforming machine with a terrible screen and zero durability. Except perhaps the Samsung Chromebook, I would point people needing a Google docs editor for school towards syncing a Bluetooth keyboard to a tablet before recommending a netbook.

Now if they made a netbook with a similar case as this, with a screen nearly as good? That might be something. What's left of the netbook space for now is about as good as flushing cash down the toilet for fun.
I disagree with that. What you said was true for the first-generation netbooks that had faulty 8GB SSDs, 512MB RAM, Single-Core Atoms, 1024x600 screens, and couldn't run anything besides a slimmed down linux distro properly. However, netbooks have improved and are very much usable (I had an ASUS 1215n running Windows 8 and it was perfectly usable; there are netbooks nowadays with i3s in em within the same price bracket, not to mention lower-end AMDs for less). Between the options for removable media (OTG is not comparable) and the mature and robust ecosystem Windows provides for both content creation and consumption, It isn't always clear cut that a tablet is the best use of resources over a netbook.

But like I said I like my N7 WAY more than any netbook.

Can anyone imagine using this as a main device instead of a phone? I'm considering it with the LTE, but I'm wary I'd always need some kind of bag. I can probably get away with it in wintertime with coats...

And the few voice calls I make I can do through Talkatone or GrooVeIP.

Threi

notag
So it looks like due to how root works with 4.3 it's making OTA updates fail. Solution for now seems to be to unroot first (theres a setting for it in SuperSu), apply the update, and then re-root.

Considering that you have to re-root anyways after an OTA, and how easy it is to root on a nexus device, it's not to big of a problem.

Just if anyone was wondering.

I'm really pissed off with Game and their delivery service. I got an e mail yesterday afternoon confirming it would be delivered today. I've just got an e mail now to say there has been a delay and it won't be delivered until tomorrow. I could probably walk into a Game shop and buy one!

Top Bottom