• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Ashes

Banned
Alright, admit it, who was the gaffer that was browsing Neogaf at PC World/Currys at Westfield Stratford City? :p

When I was trying Chrome, it was on Neogaf's homepage. I almost burst out laughing.

I went John Lewis first, but they hadn't put it up on display yet, and the guy sort of laughed in my face, when I said Tesco has the 1 year accidental damage cover. I suppose he thought I was asking whether they would match that. How they could, I don't know, but I was only making conversation, because nobody there seemed to know what was what.

I asked whether or when they would get one out on display, and a different lady said, at least an hour. So I just left for PC World/Currys.

PC World/Currys had it on display, and there was Neogaf's webpage on Chrome. ha ha. I nearly bought it there and then. But they had a weird offer, which purported to give buyers £50 voucher, when they spend over £200 in store. But that voucher could only be used in a specified week period in September. And I thought, okay, that's fine. But then they said in the small writing, that the product you buy has to be over two hundred pounds as well, so it is actually a fifty pound off voucher code. I don't think I'm going to be buying a two hundred pound product in September as well, so the deal wasn't for me.

Anyways, on I went to Tesco at Beckton. The lad there said, they only stocked the 16gb, he could get the 32 gb for next day delivery. I thought about it... and bought the 16gb. I still think the 32gb is better value, because you get double the space for an extra £39.

And here I am... whew...

mrhGB

Banned
Well less than a week in and I had to do a factory reset. I had deleted some system apps that I didn't want and apparently Google doesn't like that and it caused the OTA update to fail every time. I tried to sideload it but that didn't work, I tried fixes from XDA and they didn't work so I just thought fuck it and wiped the thing and flashed the stock JSS15Q firmware (latest). I did a backup beforehand and restored afterwards but it didn't save anything, so I'm not sure what went wrong there so I had to reinstall everything.

White Man

I realize that this is a big thread and this has probably asked before, but are there any particularly good roms for the N7 or is stock probably the one to stick with?

JordanKZ

I'm having terrible battery life on mine... 2 hours on screen at the lowest brightness setting and only 2 non-Google apps updating in the background(every hour). I'm down to 55%! I'll post screenshots later.

I should note that I'm using my nexus 4's charger and cable. But it's fully charging without a problem... :-/

Edit: holy shit. Gpslocationprovider has been awake for 2 hours since I last rebooted (two hours ago..). Likely cause?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
If I had known there was a GAF thread for the Nexus 7 I would have read it over before buying one. Oh well, sounds like a made a good purchasing decision. I should get mine Friday.

Dazzla

My touchscreen is fairly erratic. Capacitive styli can't draw in a straight line, I seem to get phantom touches, holding a link in chrome to open in a new tab is hit or miss.

I have JSS15Q, is there a bigger problem?

VPhys

Went to BestBuy yesterday to see if they had any Chromecasts. The sales associate said they got 30 in on Friday but they sold within the first 1/2 hour. I asked, "how, are people coming in that frequently to ask about them?" He told me "no, every employee in the store buys them even if they don't need them." :/

GatorBait

Cross-posting from the buy/sell thread:

I was about to put this on ebay, but then I thought to myself that I should give my fellow GAFers a shot first. I'm selling a very lightly used Nexus 7 (2013 version, 32GB) that I received as a gift. It works perfectly and the only reason I'm selling it is because I already own another Nexus 7.

Willing to sell at a discount and ship within the U.S. (don't want to get killed on shipping charges) and prefer Paypal for payment. Feel free to PM me if interested or if you have questions.

Pics below:

0T6Qs1b.jpg

HxkHiTt.jpg

c0xask6.jpg

DarkFlow

Banned
Went to BestBuy yesterday to see if they had any Chromecasts. The sales associate said they got 30 in on Friday but they sold within the first 1/2 hour. I asked, "how, are people coming in that frequently to ask about them?" He told me "no, every employee in the store buys them even if they don't need them." :/
They think they can make quick money on craigslist. Seems like too much hassle for 20 bucks really.

What issues? Were they posted earlier in the thread? All reviews and impressions I've read have been stellar.
Random Restarts is one of them. Mine likes to reboot itself randomly all day. Others are still having touchscreen problems. Here's a thread on xda about it. There's another long one on googles support forum.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2380866

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/mG4JXaT-SHs[501-525-false]

PriitV

Nexus 7 now on sale in Estonia.. 279€ for 16GB and 389€ for 32GB with LTE. not really tempting now as I could get the 16GB one from Amazon for a low 231€ :/ Silly Asus.

Mine arrived from Game yesterday and after all my bad luck with the N10 I seem to have been let off with this as it's absolutely perfect at the moment.

It's a little bit heavier than I expected but in practical use I held it for 2 hours straight without even noticing the weight. In regards to holding it, it seems so much thinner than the original. I could easily hold it with 1 hand.

I haven't had a 7inch tablet before so the screen hasn't blown me away but what I can say is that this should be the standard for all screens. I wouldn't want anything with a poorer resolution.

Netflix does seem a bit naff though as there was massive black bars on Iron Man 2 that I watched a couple of minutes of. In all honestly though I'm a bit of a TV and film geek and I really wouldn't want to watch anything other than a youtube video, on even a 10 inch tablet.

It was great to have all my Nexus 4 settings ported over so I could dive straight in and start using it. Even though I was looking forward to getting the N7 I was worried that it would feel like an over sized phone (as my N4 is what I do all my browsing on) but I've realized that is exactly what I've wanted. There really is a big difference to reading on my N4 and the N7.

In short I love it and I think it's easily worth the expensive mark up (we here in the UK) from the original.

Stopped in PC world to have a play with the N7² this week. Couldn't get over how light it was, and how much easier it is to grip than an N7 or my trusty Fonepad.

I'm trying to convince myself I can't justify such a purchase at the moment as I'm off on holiday on Sunday. Still, that didn't stop me ordering a case for my nonexistent N7² last night.... :/

Ashes

Banned
As to issues:
Knock on wood, hardware wise mine is working fine thus far.
Posting if only to balance out those with issues. Everything ported over fine except battery notifier, but I don't need that one for tablets really.

PS. Ordinary 7inch cases are a nuisance. They are usable, but go without or one specifically made for n7'2.

Ashes

Banned
Yeah I'm looking for something like that. The n7'2 form factor is worth it. I'm worried about the build quality of the above model though.

kitch9

Banned
Man the broken OTG has really taken the shine off this thing for me. Why to Google manage to cock something major up everytime?

Cheebo

Banned
?

OTG still works.

Stickmount is broken though, gotta use USB OTG helper instead.

Google did restrict it, some devs just still are finding ways to work around it. Google clearly is against any method of non-cloud based external storage. It's why they put restrictions on OTG and why they don't use SD card slots. They want you to use Google Drive.

mrhGB

Banned
Google did restrict it, some devs just still are finding ways to work around it. Google clearly is against any method of non-cloud based external storage. It's why they put restrictions on OTG and why they don't use SD card slots. They want you to use Google Drive.

Never tried it, how is it compared to DropBox?

ChopstickNinja

Neo Member
Just got mine last night. Hardware-wise its great - responsive and the display is pretty stunning (no issues or dead pixels). But I have a nexus phone and it kind of feel like using a enlarge version of it.

My previous tablet was the iPad 1 - so its an improvement, but I wonder if I would of been better served by an iPad mini. My primary use on the iPad was web browsing and reading comics, so I figured I would save the money but I now realize I value having both ecosystems...

Vyer

They think they can make quick money on craigslist. Seems like too much hassle for 20 bucks really.

Random Restarts is one of them. Mine likes to reboot itself randomly all day. Others are still having touchscreen problems. Here's a thread on xda about it. There's another long one on googles support forum.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2380866

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/mG4JXaT-SHs[501-525-false]

and the damn speaker hiss/crackle

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2383248

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aQnuOrTY8&feature=youtu.be

Jintor

Anyone else have this goddamn problem where the charger only wants to charge if you get it in *just the right* fiddly contact point? It's no longer good enough to plug it in and forget, you gotta jiggle it around, make sure it's charging, ensure you don't accidentally brush the goddamn charge cable... grrrrrgh. Fucking infuriating.

Anyone else have this goddamn problem where the charger only wants to charge if you get it in *just the right* fiddly contact point? It's no longer good enough to plug it in and forget, you gotta jiggle it around, make sure it's charging, ensure you don't accidentally brush the goddamn charge cable... grrrrrgh. Fucking infuriating.

sounds defective. get it exchanged.

Schrade

Sounds like the USB port on the device or the plugin adapter got damaged. Either way, mine has no such issues.

The damage can be caused by trying to plug in the cable upside down into either connector.

Top Bottom