• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Tried the Took Kit with two different sets of drivers (1 and 3), neither recognized by my computer. I also tried it another way without luck. Bricked it for a short while.

This is what scares the living fuck out of me. I still run stock on my S3 and I suspect I'd run stock on this too. Unless someone can tell me what the benefits are of rooting over running stock, I think I'd stick with stock.

DarkFlow

Banned
This is what scares the living fuck out of me. I still run stock on my S3 and I suspect I'd run stock on this too. Unless someone can tell me what the benefits are of rooting over running stock, I think I'd stick with stock.

It's not really scary. It's almost impossible to brick a modern Android device.

The G1, now that was scary. That thing had so many steps you had to do to flash stuff.

Threi

notag
Tried the Took Kit with two different sets of drivers (1 and 3), neither recognized by my computer. I also tried it another way without luck. Bricked it for a short while.
Drivers for the nexus you can get straight off google's site, don't even worry about anything the toolkit says about drivers: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html
You just go into device manager, update the drivers with those (it should be called Android ADB device i think)

Sucks that you softbricked your tablet, but that is one of the reasons I don't bother putting a custom recovery on it. You should just use the toolkit to boot a temp TWRP recovery to flash anything you need (like the SuperSu zip to root) and leave the recovery stock.

DarkFlow

Banned
But why do it? What do you gain from rooting? Just more customization or ... ?

lol truthfully... not much. For me it's more for tinkering, like Overclocking the CPU to run faster, crap like that. Back in the day you used it do a lot more, now days it more for power users. If you don't care about any of that you won't miss anything.

IMACOMPUTA

aaargh..
cant decide whether i want to return my 16gb and get the 32gb.
I really feel like I'll regret it down the road if i dont get the 32.

mrhGB

Banned
I'm using Dolphin with Adobe Flash installed, it's working OK. It has problems with large amounts of GIFs though, the "You laugh, you lose" thread kills it.

BadWolf

Received mine today, my first tablet and it is glorious O.O

How do I go about installing flash?

What is a good free media player app?

Any other app recommendations would be appreciated.

Downhome

Well, I bought a 32gb Nexus 7 for $209/shipped on a site earlier today so hopefully that will work out just fine for me. I believe it was a misprice because they raised the price shortly after I was made aware of it and now it isn't on the site anymore. They say they will honor it though, so I sure hope they do.

BadWolf

No you don't.
I don't even have my nexus unlocked right now and have the flash APK installed.

I blame the site that misinformed me =(

Thanks, yeah installed it and all the stuff that required flash works fine now. Can even watch twitch from the browser instead of the app. I really don't get the twitch app and how I am supposed to find things in it.

Anywho, been a day and I am beyond impressed. Granted it shouldn't be too hard to impress me since my main portable media device since 2006 has been my PSP but still, the tech is just excellent on this Nexus. Looks like tech (and price) finally caught up to what I wanted.

It just so fast and buttery smooth to use and so far, *knocks on wood*, my unit seems to be okay.

Installed media players, image viewer, Russian radio and tv and a whole bunch more and everything works great.

Planning on getting that Moko case. Do you guys bother with a screen protector or will just this case suffice?

this_guy

It's not really scary. It's almost impossible to brick a modern Android device.

The G1, now that was scary. That thing had so many steps you had to do to flash stuff.

This. And also when people say they "bricked" their device for a short while, it ain't bricked. Bricked means you can't do anything with it and the manufacturer has to fix it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Anybody use this for university? Thinking about getting one versus a netbook for my girlfriend.
This is what I've been trying to setup for since yesterday. Getting the apps up the way I want for handwriting notes has been a struggle.
This. And also when people say they "bricked" their device for a short while, it ain't bricked. Bricked means you can't do anything with it and the manufacturer has to fix it.
No, there is such a thing as soft bricked.

Cr0wn0

I got my new Nexus 7 yesterday, awesome so far. I've noticed in most of my classes the last few semesters people either have a full on laptop ( which seemed like a pain in the ass for them if the battery was not rock solid) with them or a tablet with keyboard. I'm hoping to pickup a keyboard case and do the same for a few classes. 3 of my classes this semester are pure lecture and anything technical is given as a handout that I can just take a picture of or download. In my math class its only purpose is for the e-text, ill still have to hand write everything. I'm also interested to hear others experiences with doing this.

pheonix991

Neo Member
I don't use it for taking notes, but I convert all the documents I need for my classes into PDFs and use them through Kindle. Saves on paper or dragging my laptop to class.

I do the same thing.

I'm going to try to find a note taking app so I can take my math notes in class.

mrhGB

Banned
Sweet just installed it with APK installer.

I'm glad my post was of some use even with being wrong about needing to be rooted.

I just switched from Dolphin to Firefox for Android and I'm glad I did, I can now visit the "You laugh, you lose" thread without all the GIFs being laggy and crashing the browser.

BadWolf

I just switched from Dolphin to Firefox for Android and I'm glad I did, I can now visit the "You laugh, you lose" thread without all the GIFs being laggy and crashing the browser.

Is there any way to not have firefox work the battery when its not in use?

I basically have the screen (brightness), media server, chrome and firefox draining battery it seems even when I'm not using chrome or firefox.

Vigilance

Is there any way to not have firefox work the battery when its not in use?

I basically have the screen (brightness), media server, chrome and firefox draining battery it seems even when I'm not using chrome or firefox.

Get Greenify if you are rooted.

reKon

Banned
Haven't tried Greenify because battery life has been good. I have a feeling that if I use this, battery will be god like

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Whelp, my touchscreen stopped working. I've owned it for two days. I'm done with Android products. Three of the four I've owned have either broke or sucked.

Typing this out on my first tablet, even if it's a little one. Think I might change the keyboard to Swift key.

Managed to pick up a Chromecast as well.

gokieks

I like SwiftKey fine on phones, but finding that I really don't like it ver much on tablets, because the alternate layout with numbers in numpad arrangement is just that much more annoying.

The best keyboard IMO is the Google Keyboard with English (US) (PC) layout.

Jintor

Had this sucker for a few months now and I just noticed these dirty yellow blotches on my screen. Fixable or just go replace it asap?

DonMigs85

Had this sucker for a few months now and I just noticed these dirty yellow blotches on my screen. Fixable or just go replace it asap?

That's last year's model right?
Anyway the touchscreen failures I'm hearing about have me worried.
Is Asus known for hit or miss quality control?

Top Bottom