• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Mid September in the UK? Man, when to sell my current and use birthday cash for the new one...

I've been playing with this tablet at work today lol, pretty good in terms of performance so far but is there anything you guys want me to test on it?

In terms of 1080p, doesn't look too much better than the first gen IMO but it is sharper and touch is more responsive.

Link for pic proof:

http://imgur.com/oIEvogn

How is color vibrancy and saturation compared to the first gen Nexus 7?

A bit premature but are there any cases that will be available at launch? I will be traveling the week after this launches and would like a case so I don't damage/scratch it.

Vibranium

Banned
I have the N10, and the main reason I got it was for comic reading. Could not do it on the N7 with the old resolution.

If you have Comixology, would you mind snapping some photos of some full page views? Just interested to see if I can read on a full page view with the bumped up resolution.
I'll test it out for you very soon sir.

I'd also like to see how it works on Full Page view for Comixology, if it doesn't work well that's a deal-breaker for me, splash pages I can deal with through zooming though. I'll keep checking the thread for your impressions, I'm super interested if the new N7 is an improvement in that aspect.

This may be a dumb question, but is this more powerful than a Nook HD+?

I have enjoyed the Nook, but it seems a bit sluggish when running demanding apps. :(

Somnid

I have enjoyed the Nook, but it seems a bit sluggish when running demanding apps. :(

From a SoC standpoint they are about the same, the S4 Pro (Nexus) and the 4770 (Nook) were released around the same time. I believe the s4 being quad core should have better CPU performance, but the 4470 GPU is better. That said, the Nook was slow mostly due to interface modification, not internals. Anything with Android 4.1+ should perform better.

reKon

Banned
How much could I get today for my Verizon Galaxy Nexus and Touchpad? I'll have no use for either once I get my Nexus 7 as I have a HTC One, which is basically free

Coreda

BTW to all who may wonder. Asus posted on their facebook page that the new Nexus 7 will NOT support USB OTG unlike the last Nexus 7. The feature was not on the Nexus 4 so this is sadly not too surprising. Google is killing off any non-rooted methods of external media.

Wait, so does this mean you can no longer use wired peripherals with the new N7? Damn it Google!

Speevy

Banned

No, but the Nook HD+ wasn't built for speed. It's a gorgeous e-reader that has the Google Play store. It's for people like me who mainly run one or two apps and read.

If you want a fast Android experience, the Nexus 7 is what you want.

Mindwipe

The OTG thing is really stupid.

Sigh Google. Really, sigh.

Rooting is great and all to fix it, but you end up in a pissing match with a lot of DRM streaming services trying to hide it.

JordanKZ

Mid September in the UK? Man, when to sell my current and use birthday cash for the new one...

Wow Mid-Sep? That's annoying, although I'm undecided whether to get this or wait for the new Nexus 10.

Is it confirmed?
The only two places with dates are Ebuyer and Currys/PCWorld. And Ebuyer says end of August.

Ebuyer confirmed to me that they're definitely getting stock in on August 29th. It looks like they're getting a fair chunk of stock straight from Asus.

Protome

Ebuyer confirmed to me that they're definitely getting stock in on August 29th. It looks like they're getting a fair chunk of stock straight from Asus.
That's good news. Still later than I was hoping though. I guess Curry's/PCWorld were just playing safe with their estimated date.

Cheebo

Banned
Wait, so does this mean you can no longer use wired peripherals with the new N7? Damn it Google!

Correct, Google removed the feature starting with Nexus 4 and Asus confirmed it is removed as well for Nexus 7. Google does not want anyone uses external storage. They clearly want to enforce reliance on Google Drive.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Heads up, looks like stores are selling it starting today. This includes Best Buy and what looks like Staples. Best Buy is offering in store pick up.

I'll stick with my Amazon order, though.

Coreda

Correct, Google removed the feature starting with Nexus 4 and Asus confirmed it is removed as well for Nexus 7. Google does not want anyone uses external storage. They clearly want to enforce reliance on Google Drive.

Problem is doesn't that also affect keyboards, mice and game controllers? Was hoping I could use an older controller with one, but now I won't be able to, bit of a disappointment.

rc213

Heads up, looks like stores are selling it starting today. This includes Best Buy and what looks like Staples. Best Buy is offering in store pick up.

I'll stick with my Amazon order, though.

Heads up if Staples starts selling them early, they have a coupon for $30 off all tablets that expires the 28th.

Top Bottom