• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

MercuryLS

Banned
The placement of the front camera really bugs me, looks sloppy. I know it doesn't matter from a practical sense, but...it still bugs me.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD Card Edition

QCPN0.gif

The placement of the front camera really bugs me, looks sloppy. I know it doesn't matter from a practical sense, but...it still bugs me.

it's probably for the mirror people who holds the tablet with both hands in the center when they take selfies. that or they have magical LED in the center that comes on for notification.

JEKKI

aw man I really want one!!

except I already have the old one,

and all I do on it is read comics lol.

getting the new one isnt gonna change how I use it =P

Coreda

Is it just me or does the 2012 version look nicer? I actually quite liked the silver bezel, centered front camera, etc. New revision looks a bit stale in comparison :/

Perhaps in-person it's better.

Cam some elaborate on the Slimport functionality?

Does this mean anything I run on the Nexus 7 could be outputted to my TV? I've been looking for a tablet which could work as a portable game machine of sorts, if Slimport would allow me to output emulated games to the TV, then I'd be in heaven.

yes.

Is it just me or does the 2012 version look nicer? I actually quite liked the silver bezel, centered front camera, etc. New revision looks a bit stale in comparison :/

Perhaps in-person it's better.

i'm sure you could find someone who agreed with you if you googled it.

Vyer

It appears I've found someone who's wiling to buy my original 32 gig for $125.

That seems pretty good. Anyone think I can do better? I feel like I'm probably gonna go ahead and pick this up next week.

I sold my 16gb on eBay for $150. But that was a month ago, so the market has dropped a bit since then probably. $125 still seems a little low for the 32.

solarus

I wanted to play around with this thing on my flight, when I stop at delhi in august I'll stop off at the black market they usually have everything by importing. September? Fuck that.

solarus

Hopefully these are random placeholder dates they are pulling out of their ass, a week or two after US release is what I'm hoping for.

Pre-ordered mine at my local Best Buy last night.

Best Buy needs to get with the damn times. Not a single employee knew what the hell I was talking about when I was asking them about pre-ordering (they didn't even know about the new Nexus 7), then I stood there for 20 minutes while two employees awkwardly fiddled around with their system to find out how to let me pre-order the damn thing.

Also, their pre-order method is kind of weird. I put $50 down, I get a receipt and sheet of paper that confirms my pre-order and a $50 gift card. I mean, that works too, the gift card just seems unnecessary to me.

Pre-ordered mine at my local Best Buy last night.

Best Buy needs to get with the damn times. Not a single employee knew what the hell I was talking about when I was asking them about pre-ordering (they didn't even know about the new Nexus 7), then I stood there for 20 minutes while two employees awkwardly fiddled around with their system to find out how to let me pre-order the damn thing.

Also, their pre-order method is kind of weird. I put $50 down, I get a receipt and sheet of paper that confirms my pre-order and a $50 gift card. I mean, that works too, the gift card just seems unnecessary to me.

I wonder if they have them in stock yet.

asdad123

Well that was easy... Just sold my 16gb iPad mini 4g for $450 and ordered the 32gb version of this for $264 After tax.

Almost $200 in my pocket and twice the space!

I won't miss the 4g, I only used it once in 7 months lol.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well that was easy... Just sold my 16gb iPad mini 4g for $450 and ordered the 32gb version of this for $264 After tax.

Almost $200 in my pocket and twice the space!

I won't miss the 4g, I only used it once in 7 months lol.

Where'd you sell it? You got a hell of a deal.

Kazoo

I've been playing with this tablet at work today lol, pretty good in terms of performance so far but is there anything you guys want me to test on it?

In terms of 1080p, doesn't look too much better than the first gen IMO but it is sharper and touch is more responsive.

Link for pic proof:

http://imgur.com/oIEvogn

I'm going to Thailand on Aug 2, was thinking of finally getting a tablet, just in general, but also to load up some anime/movies for the 18 hour plane ride

Seems like this will be out just in time, should this be what I go with?

Lucario

I managed to break the Gorilla glass from the last one without even dropping it. I just hit it with a car door when it was in my pocket, cracked all over.

Why don't they make these things out of material you could pitch at a wall without breaking it?

It doesn't use gorilla glass, and the screens weren't seated properly. My first one cracked from a two foot drop, screen-up.

They're incredibly fragile devices. Hopefully that'll be fixed this time around.

The user experience and power of the tablet were amazing, but the build quality was.... awful. Even for ASUS.

BFIB

I've been playing with this tablet at work today lol, pretty good in terms of performance so far but is there anything you guys want me to test on it?

In terms of 1080p, doesn't look too much better than the first gen IMO but it is sharper and touch is more responsive.

Link for pic proof:

I have the N10, and the main reason I got it was for comic reading. Could not do it on the N7 with the old resolution.

If you have Comixology, would you mind snapping some photos of some full page views? Just interested to see if I can read on a full page view with the bumped up resolution.

asdad123

Where'd you sell it? You got a hell of a deal.

Sold it to a friend. It included apple care plus and three different cases so I think the price was fair considering the iPad itself costs $459.

For Anyone buying from best buy. If you have an Amex card, check out the promo their running for $25 statement credit for a purchase of $250 or more at best buy. Essentially $25 off the nexus.

i'm sure they'll have it in stores when the release date rolls around and they'll have store pickup. must be a system thing.

Probably but I just ordered the thing online from there site says I should get it by the 30th-31st. Paid $300 for 32gb including shipping. I'm OK with that.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Googy pls. I would be all over your Nexus devices if you had the SD.

Cheebo

Banned
Googy pls. I would be all over your Nexus devices if you had the SD.

Google is very anti-expandable storage. They want you to use Google Drive. Will never happen.

BTW to all who may wonder. Asus posted on their facebook page that the new Nexus 7 will NOT support USB OTG unlike the last Nexus 7. The feature was not on the Nexus 4 so this is sadly not too surprising. Google is killing off any non-rooted methods of external media.

Kazoo

I have the N10, and the main reason I got it was for comic reading. Could not do it on the N7 with the old resolution.

If you have Comixology, would you mind snapping some photos of some full page views? Just interested to see if I can read on a full page view with the bumped up resolution.
I'll test it out for you very soon sir.

Google is very anti-expandable storage. They want you to use Google Drive. Will never happen.

BTW to all who may wonder. Asus posted on their facebook page that the new Nexus 7 will NOT support USB OTG unlike the last Nexus 7. The feature was not on the Nexus 4 so this is sadly not too surprising. Google is killing off any non-rooted methods of external media.

Ugh.

Guess I can't buy this until it gets root/kernel access, then. I want to be able to at least offload media to a little MicroSD dongle or something. 16GB is perfect for installed apps and system files, but documents, comics, ebooks, videos, ROM files or whatever for emulators and such are going to quickly take up room.

neo2046

Link for pic proof:

how about the quality of the display? people say the 1st gen is quite dim
also do you own the 1st gen? how about the battery comparing to the 1st gen?

Did this whole thing not leak via a pic of the upcoming in store ad they give out? I am assuming they just gave you that line.

Maybe they meant it wouldn't be available next week in store? No idea. I specially asked if they would have it in store on Tuesday and they said no, online only. Maybe that is why there is no in store pickup for the item?

Top Bottom