• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

gokieks

How? I went on every tab of the app and my pdf's didn't appear/

You can either use a file management app that lets you select what app to use to open a file (I use and like SolidExplorer), or you can put the PDF in the kindle directory, which will cause the Kindle app to add it to the library (under the "On Device" list).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I just got my new nexus 7 and im wondering what is the best pdf reader app for it?
On the previous nexus 7 i used Radeaa but it seems to not support the new nexus 7.

Foxit IMO and that's also my recommendation on Windows as well. It's free and works really well.

Mrcapcom

Whats the best way to get media to your tv with the Nexus 7?
Atm its just Slimport HDMI and Chromcast right?

Wish Chromcast played local files smh

danootz

Are the guys getting reboots using Chrome? Mine stopped when I moved to Boat which is a far better browser anyway.

I had Chrome and Chrome Beta installed -- Chrome Beta as my default browser -- and it updated last night/today and I had two reboots in the span of minutes while I used it. I uninstalled it and no more reboots.

The only issue I have with my Nexus 7 (2013) is minimal light bleed at the top of the screen, and that residue thing on the back logo that some folks say is from the glue. I never noticed it until I was wiping down the back one day with a damp paper towel, and there was spot where the moisture took longer to disappear than any other section on the back. When I dug in the forums, people posted photos of giant splotches. And it wasn't until I really looked and twisted the tablet around in the light did I notice some splotchy bit. Not an issue though since I have a full body case.

Jzero

It seems like my touch screen issues are getting worse so it's probably a hardware issue. It acts like i'm pressing the screen for longer than i really am.

DonMigs85

I got a Nexus last Thursday and so far it's been okay, except one time a video I was copying over got stuck on "5 seconds remaining" so I had to cancel and redo it.

womp

It seems like my touch screen issues are getting worse so it's probably a hardware issue. It acts like i'm pressing the screen for longer than i really am.

Mine does this as well...I get the 'special characters' a lot when I type and it is a total bummer. Otherwise it works great.

Still up in the air a bit on this new N7. I continue to see the reports of issues. When I was in BB a couple nights ago to pick up a Chromecast I tried out their floor model and the thing was spastic. It was reading my hand hover a couple inches over it as input. I felt like a magician except what it was doing wasn't what I wanted it to do.

Also, how the hell hard is it to put Kindle on these floor models and pull up a sample book? There has been one floor model I've played with that had Kindle on it, but to actually view anything you needed to sign in to your Amazon account, which I wasn't about to do.

Anyway, still keeping this on my Christmas list and hoping that by then whatever hardware glitches they are seeing in manufacturing are worked out.

GuessWho

yeah I am one button away from ordering one but there are so many issues! Are there any users who have not had one issue as of yet?

JordanKZ

I have a software issue where the device refuses to deep sleep, even after a factory reset. Means I get like 4 hours of on screen battery, at the most. And it drains 5-10% battery per hour in standby.

It'll get fixed, so I'm not too fussed. Google have already aknowledged the problem.

I need some opinions... Is the new version worth $100 more than the old? They have deals on ebay for the 32gb 1st gen Nexus 7 for $160 instead of the $269 for the 2nd gen nexus 7. Is it worth the over $100 price difference? When would it be worth it? I'm assuming it's getting the new OS update and such to kit kat so is it only worth the new one for playing games? Or...? For surfing, reading, watching videos, etc. is there no difference. I probably wouldn't play many games or if I do I doubt they would be intensive enough to be able to play on the 2nd gen but not the 1st. Thanks for any help!

Threi

notag
Honestly its pretty hard to say for sure. The new one has a better screen, faster cpu/gpu, better battery life...but honestly its still the same (great) experience. You have to decide whether or not the differences are worth it.

I can tell you that for me it was worth buying the new one due to how much I use it. The RAM and SoC upgrade makes things snappier, and the updatedscreen is REALLY nice.

Honestly both gens (especially for the price you could get the 1st gen for) are great value. If it won't hurt your wallet too much stretch for the 2nd gen. If it will the 1st gen still provides a great experience.

Honestly its pretty hard to say for sure. The new one has a better screen, faster cpu/gpu, better battery life...but honestly its still the same (great) experience. You have to decide whether or not the differences are worth it.

That's pretty much why I'm torn though. I'd prefer the extra cash and I like the newer screen better. But is there anything that really makes you feel a difference in normal use with the better gpu, cpu, and more ram? I sort of feel I wouldn't use much that would utilize the extra tech but I don't know enough to know if that's true or not.

Is the battery life better on the second gen? I could have sworn the old version has a longer battery life since the screen doesn't draw as much power as the new one...

RuGalz

That's pretty much why I'm torn though. I'd prefer the extra cash and I like the newer screen better. But is there anything that really makes you feel a difference in normal use with the better gpu, cpu, and more ram? I sort of feel I wouldn't use much that would utilize the extra tech but I don't know enough to know if that's true or not.

Is the battery life better on the second gen? I could have sworn the old version has a longer battery life since the screen doesn't draw as much power as the new one...

The screen is worth the additional price tag. I think if you were to stay with gen 1, meaning you don't care about performance that much, Memo HD 7 is almost a better choice IMO. It has microSD card slot, better screen, better battery life than gen 1, but you do lose the Nexusness.

The screen is worth the additional price tag. I think if you were to stay with gen 1, meaning you don't care about performance that much, Memo HD 7 is almost a better choice IMO. It has microSD card slot, better screen, better battery life than gen 1, but you do lose the Nexusness.

Eh, but that's even cheaper. Losing OS updates sucks and that has considerably worse performance than the nexus. You think the screen alone is worth paying over $100 more? Why?

It generally just feels more responsive overall. Games will also run better, but outside of that there aren't many apps that flat out won't run on the first gen model.

It's been about the same for me, though I tend to run at a lower brightness. If you run it at full brightness, it'll probably drain faster since the new screen can get significantly brighter.

RuGalz

What's the difference for reading? Clarity? The only difference is resolution so does that small jump in res really make it that much better to read? Was it bad to read on the first one?

Far better clarity, you can read much smaller text, less eye strain trying to read text. From 216dpi to 323dpi is pretty big jump even if you think the resolution increase is 'small'. Plus, the screen itself is just better; heck, memo hd has better screen than gen 1. If you are just getting a stepping stone, you might as well get something cheaper; lack of update isn't going to kill you since android is mature enough these days and you probably will be looking at new tablet in a year anyway. If you plan to keep it for 3-4 years, that price difference isn't worth saving imo.

pestul

Is there any goddamn way to control this device remotely when the slimport is connected to my TV without root? I've done so much on this thing already I really don't want to wipe it. I own Titanium Backup Pro but I think you need root for full data backups.

I tried a couple of wireless keyboards with a microusb (otg) to USB adapter and they won't work (measy rc 11 and Logitech). And I know I cant control it with my android phone without root.. Suggestions?

And I have noticed a very rare and random reboot depending on what I'm doing in AOSP browser. I tried Firefox for the smooth gifs but went back to AOSP because it just feels smoother overall in general browsing.

Mairu

So how do you do an update when you're rooted? I've received an OTA update since rooting and every time I hit to update it reboots into the twrp-recovery screen where I just end up restarting back into the system because I'm not quite sure where it downloads to. Then I see the update notification shortly after again.

Threi

notag
iirc you have to be on stock recovery to update from OTA

what you can do is just hit up xda and get the update file, which you can flash manually in your recovery.

ScOULaris

So how do you do an update when you're rooted? I've received an OTA update since rooting and every time I hit to update it reboots into the twrp-recovery screen where I just end up restarting back into the system because I'm not quite sure where it downloads to. Then I see the update notification shortly after again.

Here's the easy method I employ when applying an OTA on a rooted stock ROM:

- Download the Android SDK Toolkit (with adb)
- Download the factory image for your Nexus 7 and save it to the same directory (good to have anyway)
- Download the OTA zip file from somewhere
- Rename it to update.zip and save it to the root of your internal storage
- Flash stock recovery back onto your device using "adb flash recovery recovery.img"
- Now, within stock recovery, select the "Apply update" option.
- Your device will update successfully.

After that is done, you can flash your custom recovery and root back onto the device with no problems. The only thing stopping the OTA from working in your case is that you're running a custom recovery.

Downhome

Awesome, the 32GB 2nd gen I ordered from ABT for $209 has shipped so I should be getting it soon.

Once it arrives, what is the first thing I should install on it or do to it to really set it up? Any recommendations or hints and tips or anything? This is my first Android device. Thanks guys.

Mairu

Here's the easy method I employ when applying an OTA on a rooted stock ROM:

- Download the Android SDK Toolkit (with adb)
- Download the factory image for your Nexus 7 and save it to the same directory (good to have anyway)
- Download the OTA zip file from somewhere
- Rename it to update.zip and save it to the root of your internal storage
- Flash stock recovery back onto your device using "adb flash recovery recovery.img"
- Now, within stock recovery, select the "Apply update" option.
- Your device will update successfully.

After that is done, you can flash your custom recovery and root back onto the device with no problems. The only thing stopping the OTA from working in your case is that you're running a custom recovery.

Thanks, I'll do this later

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Google said 2 day shipping on my LTE model but said it could ship between yesterday and Friday, was hoping it'd ship today and be here Friday but I'm not sure it will.

Esqueleto

Banned
Just got my RMA back with the repair done in less than 5 hours. All they did was flash back to 15J. Touch screen is still messed up.
Thanks ASUS!

Darkwater

I gotta return the one I have. WiFi issues, backlight bleeding, dead pixel. I almost don't want to. I'm using it to post this right now and it's so damn delicious.

pestul

Anyone getting Wifi issues with just the 5GHz radio? I can stay connected no problem to 2.4 but I find the 5GHz drops occasionally, which is rather inconvenient while streaming media. I might want to look into my router settings perhaps..

pestul

Hmm, reading around it appears that the 5GHz band issue is something related to the 4.3 update as it spans a lot of devices (found on Nexus 4 forum). One user suggested fiddling with the 5GHz channel allocation (ie. fixed and not auto), so I'm going to try that later after work.

EDIT: Blargh.. it's probably my DECT phones causing interference.

Vyer

Anyone dealt with Asus support?

Since it seems the speaker issue isn't completely widespread I'm wondering if I could get it swapped. But I don't want to bother if it's a clusterfuck process to go through.

Top Bottom